[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

5 hours ago, JackieOnTheRocks said:

Did id somebody told you that you're so good, I'm reading all of your insight and fan fictions... You could be a writer or some sort! English is not my first language so I wasn't able to express my feeling or words of appreciation to your insight properly... Please keep it coming xx 

Thank you for your very kind words. :) I'm glad you're enjoying the stories. I only wish writing for my actual work was just as enjoyable or well-received. :( 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

As for your OT question, I googled and it looks like there are Laneige counters in Surabaya so maybe they might have the lipstick you're looking for?  Good-luck and safe travels this week!

Thanks for the link! But looks like they don't have the two-tone lipsticks there... I'm gonna see if I can try my luck at duty free in the airport on my way out... heh... Ah... I actually don't like flying much. Meh... Maybe the lack of wifi will force me to read more and hopefully rest more too... Life's been rather draining these months... Oh, for the love of DOTS! Otherwise I think I'd be a total grump now.

11 hours ago, phikyl said:

This show has become the new benchmark for adult relationships in shows to me. It would be amazing if more producing teams started to follow DotS rather than sticking to the usual relationship plotlines. The ratings say that many others agree with me as well. There's no way the 30% [at certain times close to 50%] viewership ratings had nothing to do with how the MY/SJ relationship was portrayed. 

Interestingly so, ain't it? There's something about the way the relationship was portrayed that seemed just that bit more believable to me. Not as tiresome as what you might see in other kDramas, and certainly not as fantastical. And again, I don't mean to compare it with American shows (which as I mentioned before I no longer watch), but somehow I don't feel much connection with the American-drama relationship portrayals. Not sure if it's cultural or not. Or perhaps scriptwriters are starting to change their styles of writing. I like that there appears a new type of female lead in asian dramas, and a new type of committed man too. Not overbearing, not promiscuous. Committed, serious, and equal. (sorry. Not the most eloquent person around... hahaha... but you get me I'm sure).

4C65mPj.gif

Yes! @kristy86! Reposting your gif for reference. That eyebrow movement! That look of bit-surprise, bit-disbelief! Did that woman just ignore me?! I can't decide if I'm offended or not because, my goodness, I actually wouldn't mind being shoved around by the likes of her! :phew: Kekekeke...

These weekly watching assignments are just really giving me something to look forward to, so even if I don't watch ahead, I'm ok. I just like the nice pacing we've got here, dissecting every bit to discover new things. It's kinda geeky, I admit, but then I'm kinda geeky too. hahaha... 

@Yippeuni: Wah! First to submit assignment! :D Now I have to start my episode 3 re-watch too! I'm still stuck on re-watching episode 1. I'm just so taken with how their relationship was established in that first episode, I can't seem to move from it yet... So forgive me, my friends, if I seem a little slow on this one. I feel like I need to analyse every gaze! :P 

• Like 9

Managed to get my hands on a copy of the Viki subs... ep 1 has it subbed that YSJ referred to SDY as "Hyung" when they go off looking for KKB and YSJ asks SDY if he really needs the phone back. I don't hear YSJ actually using the term "Hyung" though... He didn't right? Can't decide which set of subs I'm looking at is more accurate. The conversation I copied off for the earlier gaze analysis is also slightly different on the Viki subs...

• Like 3

@gilaswan Hyung? I don't think SJ calls DY "hyung" even once! The only one who does, iirc, is Ki Bum. Do SJ/DY even speak in banmal or jondae? I can't remember... too busy swooning. :lol:

Hm. I think that's it! The fact that it's an extremely realistic version of a relationship, no matter what country the shows you watch are from! It's not just cultural differences that make the relationships in American dramas unrelateable. I can't relate to them at all either and that's my native country... Contrary to what western tv shows would have you believe, we are not much different from most of the rest of the world when it comes to relationships and lifestyles. Lol!

@kokodus Thanks! I certainly have a lot more fun doing it than I thought I would. I always had fun doing the timelines and getting all the event times/dates smoothed out but I usually leave the relationship moments analyses to others. Heaven knows I wouldn't have any deep thoughts on the matter if I hadn't watched the episodes repeatedly. :phew:

I've finally decided on my favorite moment in the drama: The SJ/MY moment. Any of them. :lol:

I don't think SJ would call DY hyung.  Viki subs aren't really that great from what I've found.  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like how they worded things compared to other subs. 

Anyway, are we moving on to ep. 3 and 4 now?  This is when it gets good! :P 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Managed to get my hands on a copy of the Viki subs... ep 1 has it subbed that YSJ referred to SDY as "Hyung" when they go off looking for KKB and YSJ asks SDY if he really needs the phone back. I don't hear YSJ actually using the term "Hyung" though... He didn't right? Can't decide which set of subs I'm looking at is more accurate. The conversation I copied off for the earlier gaze analysis is also slightly different on the Viki subs...

Which moment exactly?  I tried looking for it but I couldn't find any place where either YSJ or the Viki subs said "hyung" (at least in the context of YSJ referring to SDY as "hyung"; I found where KMY referred tot hem as the hyungs who wanted to beat up KKB and when SDY referred to himself as KKB's hyung to the other gangsters).  If you let me know where in your copy of the subs it said that, I can narrow my search and check for you.  I agree it'd be odd if that's what the subs said, as I don't remember them referring to each other in anything other than for their formal titles.

(And @gilaswan, no wifi this week?  Does that mean we'll be missing you from this thread while you're on your work travels?  Also, I noticed that blog article was from a year ago, so even though they didn't have the two-tone lipstick then, maybe they'll have it now?  If not, hopefully the duty free store will.  Good-luck finding the lipstick!)

14 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Hm. I think that's it! The fact that it's an extremely realistic version of a relationship, no matter what country the shows you watch are from! It's not just cultural differences that make the relationships in American dramas unrelateable. I can't relate to them at all either and that's my native country... Contrary to what western tv shows would have you believe, we are not much different from most of the rest of the world when it comes to relationships and lifestyles. Lol!

That's one of the things about DotS that I love.  On the one hand, I don't think it's very realistic in the sense of wow, they certainly do find themselves facing a lot of life-threatening dangers, don't they?  I mean, it is literally one thing after another with the two of them.  Cliff diving accidents.  Earthquakes.  Arms hostage situations.  Life-threatening virus outbreaks.  Volcanoes.  The list goes on.  But on the other spectrum of the drama is the relationship, and that is very realistic.  It made for a very engaging viewing experience.

And I'll ditto the lack of connection I feel to American shows.  It makes for awkward moments with friends sometimes because I'm always the odd man out in those conversations and can't join in, but then they're pretty used to that by now.  ;)  I just feel more comfortable with Asian dramas. 

• Like 5

Okay i watched both the scenes now and i think he did call him hyung when he asked if he really needs the phone back. I dont know maybe i am hearing things now lol. 

It will not look good if SJ calls him hyung when they are on-duty, coz he is technically his superior. But i think it will be so sweet of him to call him hyung when they are off duty.  It would indicate their close friendship.

• Like 8

Good morning friends-who-post-while-I-sleep... hehehe... It's nice to wake up to new things to read from you. :) 

@themarchioness I will have wifi while in Indonesia but it will be intermittent. I'm honestly not used to being connected just about all the time (#firstworldproblems, I know) but I reckon this forced disconnection is a good thing too. Hyperconnectivity and the anxieties that brings (in either direction of having or losing it) will kill me soon enough, I reckon. :P Meantime, yes, the hunt for the two-tone lip bar #13 is on! I just wonder if orange suits me though. It always looks good in the adverts and models with perfect lips. 

Here's the screen capture of the scene where they sub YSJ as calling SDY "Hyung". Like @kokodusI'd have liked it too if he actually *did* say it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't. Sorry, don't know how to resize the pic, so it's in the spoiler section instead.

Spoiler

image.png

All right then... Am off to start my morning. Sorta. Got a meeting with my sup this morning at the uni. I might just need more DOTS loving after the meeting. Argh. Times like these, I feel like I need to invest in one of them gag knives with the springy blade so I can stab myself many times over...

• Like 5

@kokodusI'm not so much sure this is of him being annoyed as it is of him realising he can't get away with it. Like, Damn! Busted! I like his annoyed-in-the-car-because-she-dated-someone-else look in Urk. Y'know? Make a collection of those! Hahaha

tumblr_o78e8q4abb1vso0bbo1_400.gifReposting @kokodus' gif for reference. :D

OK, OK... get me to the uni now. Log off Soompi, I say, log off!

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Good morning friends-who-post-while-I-sleep... hehehe... It's nice to wake up to new things to read from you. :) 

@themarchioness I will have wifi while in Indonesia but it will be intermittent. I'm honestly not used to being connected just about all the time (#firstworldproblems, I know) but I reckon this forced disconnection is a good thing too. Hyperconnectivity and the anxieties that brings (in either direction of having or losing it) will kill me soon enough, I reckon. :P Meantime, yes, the hunt for the two-tone lip bar #13 is on! I just wonder if orange suits me though. It always looks good in the adverts and models with perfect lips. 

Here's the screen capture of the scene where they sub YSJ as calling SDY "Hyung". Like @kokodusI'd have liked it too if he actually *did* say it, but I'm pretty sure he didn't. Sorry, don't know how to resize the pic, so it's in the spoiler section instead.

Hide contents

image.png

All right then... Am off to start my morning. Sorta. Got a meeting with my sup this morning at the uni. I might just need more DOTS loving after the meeting. Argh. Times like these, I feel like I need to invest in one of them gag knives with the springy blade so I can stab myself many times over...

As addicted as I am to the Internet and my mobile devices, I admit it can be nice to disconnect from the world every now and then.  It's a different kind of vacation.  We hope you'll be able to drop in from time to time, but if not, we'll certainly be here waiting for your return.  :)  You'll have to report back on how your lipstick hunt goes.

And thanks for the screencap.  I was able to find the spot in the drama and no, he doesn't say hyung.  If those are Viki's subs that you found, they've since changed them.  (Thanks to my multiple rewatches I was able to discern that they frequently go back and edit/fine-tune their subs.  Particularly on the first night of a drama, even if I watched it a second time that same night, some of the subs would have already changed.)  Here's what Viki's subs currently say for that scene, starting at 24:23 when YSJ grabs SDY's arm and pulls him back:

YSJ: Must you retrieve your phone?  They look like they'll be good at fighting if they blindly attack.

SDY: There is a reason that I must get it back.

YSJ: Why?  Do you have something that will cause judgment if anyone sees it?  *pokes SDY*  You aren't very honorable.  A good one?

SDY: Yes.

YSJ: *turns to the crowd of gangsters*  Hey, you hyungnims over there!  Everyone stop what you're doing!

End at 24:51.

Hope that solves that mystery, and hope your meeting with your sup goes well.  Fighting!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Yippeuni said:

Make it eonnie your ff is very nice to read.... :) 

Yes pretty please x

3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@kokodusI'm not so much sure this is of him being annoyed as it is of him realising he can't get away with it. Like, Damn! Busted! I like his annoyed-in-the-car-because-she-dated-someone-else look in Urk. Y'know? Make a collection of those! Hahaha

tumblr_o78e8q4abb1vso0bbo1_400.gifReposting @kokodus' gif for reference. :D

OK, OK... get me to the uni now. Log off Soompi, I say, log off!

Which one of that(?) the one that they were talking about the chairman? 

• Like 2

Agreed!!! shi jin's pouty face is the best. Actually he is too expressive for a special ops officer . Have anyone seen a soldier doing aegyo like this:

tumblr_o7958x45zt1vso0bbo1_400.gif

tumblr_o795a0Os9N1vso0bbo1_400.gif

Captain jealous~

tumblr_o795baRP6g1vso0bbo1_400.gif

tumblr_o795cdvtju1vso0bbo1_400.gif

Its fun making gifs of his different faces. He is a perfect gif material lol.

• Like 11

Since we're on the subject, this is my favorite Captain Jealous: :wub:

Spoiler

tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o2_400_zpsio3ih3tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o1_400_zpszlyoqp

tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o4_400_zpspypbsytumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o3_400_zpsijtzxt

tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o5_400_zpsgrwfcctumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o6_400_zps5opnzy

tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o8_400_zpsqhko7rtumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o9_400_zpsq99vop

tumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o10_400_zpszgkpmtumblr_o3geks3O0u1rs3l09o7_400_zpsoezsp3

*credit to someone from the earlier pages for the gifs*

Yeaaaaah Cpt. YSJ! That's one way to get your girl's attention! :lol:

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Here's what Viki's subs currently say for that scene, starting at 24:23 when YSJ grabs SDY's arm and pulls him back:

YSJ: Must you retrieve your phone?  They look like they'll be good at fighting if they blindly attack.

SDY: There is a reason that I must get it back.

YSJ: Why?  Do you have something that will cause judgment if anyone sees it?  *pokes SDY*  You aren't very honorable.  A good one?

SDY: Yes.

YSJ: *turns to the crowd of gangsters*  Hey, you hyungnims over there!  Everyone stop what you're doing!

End at 24:51.

Hope that solves that mystery, and hope your meeting with your sup goes well.  Fighting!

Thanks for this! The "They look like they'll be good at fighting if they blindly attack" sounds... weird. Hahaha... But y'know, YSJ here is so irritating. Hahaha... You know what I mean? Irritating in that, if he weren't a friend, I'd like to smack him on the head. Alas, I do have friends in the army who are exactly like that. Show off, y'know? Hahaha... I think it was that about him that made KMY both pay attention to him and also dislike him at the start. He's too confident to be likeable. Lucky for him he's good looking, otherwise... :D 

Meeting with Sup was ok... back to the drawing board... but I guess partial disconnection from the world while I'm on my work trip would be good - gives me time to stop and think. :mellow: I don't know if that scares me more. Needing to stop to think. Ack. 

Will report on the lipstick hunt! #13 here I come!

• Like 4