[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

2 hours ago, princessmantou said:

Si Jin mentioned to Kang Min Jae he confessed thrice. But I counted the times he confessed it's one time... unless you include the wine kiss which is twice(but it didn't look like a confession). So can anyone tell me when is the three times...

Hi. I believe the three times were:

1. At the coffee shop at Korea right before he left for Urk. (Episode 2)

13063110_10206443213585200_3225023888174

2. In the eve of his departure at Urk where he asked her what he's supposed to do with the kiss, will he apologize or confess his love. (Episode 6)

13047872_10206443215065237_1374337379167

3. When, KMY was stitching his wound during the earthquake where he confessed that no matter what he does he cannot forget her. (Episode 8)

13055022_10206443216545274_8518487557402

• Like 12

3 hours ago, jayyepeee said:

Reading SHK's interviews about how she is amazed at KMY as a character has also reminded me something - the confession scene with the handphone was truly a work of genius. Apart from how it was totally unexpected, it has also brought the relationship forward. What I am saying is that knowing KMY, she won't be the first to confess. She will probably not talk about it and she won't confess until YSJ does. But YSJ is unlikely to confess one more time because he has been rejected many times and he wants to give her space. So they were at a standstill and they cannot move forward. What did Kim Eun Sook do? She gave us this amazing scene where KMY had confessed by accident via the phone. Hahaha. I love it!

Even Jo Jae-yoon who acts as Mng Jin said in his interview, for the writers to come up with this idea, he really thought uri writers are genius. I totally love this scene, it's so unexpected and is a good way to move forward with their relationship.

006lWF40gw1f27ajy0in5g30e209inpj.gif

cr as tagged

MY's poker face cracks me up, and when she runs comically I always burst out laughing, she's so cute. SJ's expression when she run off is priceless  :joy: These two nailed this scene.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, jayyepeee said:

Reading SHK's interviews about how she is amazed at KMY as a character has also reminded me something - the confession scene with the handphone was truly a work of genius. Apart from how it was totally unexpected, it has also brought the relationship forward. What I am saying is that knowing KMY, she won't be the first to confess. She will probably not talk about it and she won't confess until YSJ does. But YSJ is unlikely to confess one more time because he has been rejected many times and he wants to give her space. So they were at a standstill and they cannot move forward. What did Kim Eun Sook do? She gave us this amazing scene where KMY had confessed by accident via the phone. Hahaha. I love it!

Yes, her confession was still so brilliantly done and so unexpected.  I don't think anyone watching the episode expected it to end like that. I know I didn't for sure. She'd been cold the whole time (out of worry for him), and had just said she was going to be the one to leave him instead of the other way around.  When you have a guy like SJ who is  too respectful (and had been rejected 3 times before) and a girl like MY who was still so scared, you really needed something to drag in all out in the open.  That was just such a fun way to do it.  They didn't need danger to bring them closer, they had that...they needed something light and heartfelt and to give SJ hope.  His smile at the end after hearing her confession is still one of the best scenes in the drama.  I can see why it's on his playlist and is his favorite thing to listen to. :P  I also love SJ's way of making her not be embarrassed by saying he'd always like her more.  So sweet! 

The writer really likes to throw conventional wisdom on its head a lot concerning the main OTP.   After MY was kidnapped, I know most either expected SJ to push her away, or her to push him away.  When they had the sad nearly breakup scene in episode 12,I was really worried.  But it ended with them working through their problems, her laying everything out in the open and saying what he needed to do. Watching both episodes, I really did figure the two were in some depressing moments for awhile before something brought them back together, but I'm so glad the writer didn't do that.  

It's seriously scenes like this that makes DoTS and Song Song so special and beloved. 

• Like 19
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Hey guys. 

Here's a little something to help you ease the pain of DOTS's end. 

http://archiveofourown.org/tags/태양의%20후예%20%7C%20Descendants%20of%20the%20Sun%20(TV)/works

A few fanfictions. Love the one shots. Wish more fanfiction were written/are being written so we can enjoy them. Lol! Found these quite accidentally. Posted on some recap site. Enjoy!

That's hilarious. I should consider posting there...haha

• Like 5

1-0-3-0!

Aaaannnddd there we have it, everyone!

After YEARS of not watching Kdramas, I could not resist the goddess that I have worshipped since I was 14, paired with the Joseon playboy that I fell in love with years ago.

And I'm glad I did. This was so much fun.

All in all, was DoTS the best thing ever? No.
I have enough of a sense of reality to see that there were a lot of unexplored points and mis-handlings. And levers that did not get thrown.

Was it the best drama of the year? No. That honour goes to Signal.

Was it a really, really, really good drama? Yes.

Was it one heck of a ride? You bet.

Was it an absolute blast to watch? OH, YES IT WAS!

Thanks for 1030 pages! I had tons of fun on this thread :blush:

• Like 4

OMO, finally I can make a gif, YAY!!!

Been looking for this particular gif since forever but didn't found one, maybe I missed it here before, so happy! So I've been cracking my brain learning how to make a gif, ahhh things that I do for DOTS, LOL  :bawling:

:love:

ldsF2SP.gif

I love this scene so much, love his eyes and smile there. We can see how much he adores her. 

• Like 23
  • Love 1

I would really love the idea of a second season for DOTS, but if the main cast and the writers won't come back, I do not think it will be worth the watch. It is understandable that KBS wants a second season after everything that they've gained from DOTS' popularity, but there are so many things that you must consider.

First, if the writers think that the story they want to share to the audience has been told in just 16 episodes, you can not force them to write an entirely new plot. As a writer myself, once I am satisfied with my story, sometimes there is no room for new characters, new obstacles because the entire brainstorming and writing process can be really exhausting.

Second, there is no guarantee that the main cast with return for the second season. I think it has been stated in another post here that SJK and SHK are the type of actors who always want to try new and different roles. They are not the stagnant type of actors who focus solely on one genre, but tend to explore in order to challenge themselves. I mean, SJK is doing a movie called "Battleship Island" where he is willing to lose weight and shave his head for his role. Unless they are given an interesting script that will test their abilities as actors, I do not think they would be willing to come back. Aside from SJK and SHK, the other actors must also be considered. Let's say they're all available by JG and KJW aren't. Don't tell me they'll have to be killed off the show or some other actors will have to play them. That just isn't right.

But huhuhu I do want more of DOTS. Aside from the storyline being so well-written, the cast was just perfect. From the main leads to the Alpha Team and KMY's medical team, they all looked so convincing in their roles. I do hope that someday they can come back as one ensemble again, may it be for DOTS season 2 or an entirely new drama :) 

• Like 14

And can I just put this on the table? I wonder why SJK and SHK have never done a magazine shoot together. I mean, am I the only one who finds it really weird that through out the course of DOTS and its sky-high ratings, they never appeared on the cover of magazines together? Or even have commercials together? I don't know if it's because they're both "too expensive", so they'd rather get the more popular one of the duo, but it would've been so cool to have more of them. I'm pretty sure if they appeared on the cover of something, the magazine would definitely be sold out. Hahaha!

• Like 16

What am I doing this evening?  Rewatching DotS, of course.  :P

I have to say, it's even more fun to watch now that I've seen the BTS epilogue.  It adds another layer of appreciation for the drama.  For example, in Episode 5, in the scene where YSJ takes KMY to eat at the one restaurant in Uruk and the waitress leans over the table in her skimpy top.  I couldn't stop chuckling, thinking about how SJK hadn't been able to keep a straight face through the filming of that scene.  Also, at the end of that episode, when YSJ asks KMY whether he should confess or apologize for his kiss, I was even more impressed this time around with the emotions they were able to convey in that scene, knowing the uncooperative weather they were dealing with at the time.

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, annettegatuslao said:

I would really love the idea of a second season for DOTS, but if the main cast and the writers won't come back, I do not think it will be worth the watch. It is understandable that KBS wants a second season after everything that they've gained from DOTS' popularity, but there are so many things that you must consider.

First, if the writers think that the story they want to share to the audience has been told in just 16 episodes, you can not force them to write an entirely new plot. As a writer myself, once I am satisfied with my story, sometimes there is no room for new characters, new obstacles because the entire brainstorming and writing process can be really exhausting.

Second, there is no guarantee that the main cast with return for the second season. I think it has been stated in another post here that SJK and SHK are the type of actors who always want to try new and different roles. They are not the stagnant type of actors who focus solely on one genre, but tend to explore in order to challenge themselves. I mean, SJK is doing a movie called "Battleship Island" where he is willing to lose weight and shave his head for his role. Unless they are given an interesting script that will test their abilities as actors, I do not think they would be willing to come back. Aside from SJK and SHK, the other actors must also be considered. Let's say they're all available by JG and KJW aren't. Don't tell me they'll have to be killed off the show or some other actors will have to play them. That just isn't right.

But huhuhu I do want more of DOTS. Aside from the storyline being so well-written, the cast was just perfect. From the main leads to the Alpha Team and KMY's medical team, they all looked so convincing in their roles. I do hope that someday they can come back as one ensemble again, may it be for DOTS season 2 or an entirely new drama :) 

That's why I am also againts the idea of DOTS season 2.... since its already beautiful as it is now. 

If we all dig more we surely can have another things that not yet settled in this drama.... but I already satisfied with the story flow. 

And for the first step... even KBS have the PD team ready for season 2... how about the writers.... the heart of the story, without them there's none to be told. Having both writers sit again together i find it so hard. 

And the casts... the leading lead for instance SJK next month will start filming for his movie Battleship along with HJM and SJS  let say the filming took 6 months... and when its close to the premiere date on 2017 he will be busy with promoting things... also not to mention his packed schedules with CF shoot, magazine photoshoot and interviews, invitation to here and there, also fan meeting and who knows that he will spread his wings later next year to China and Japan by taking many jobs there. It will be so freaking hard to get him as YSJ again. 

and if we talk about SHK, she will as busy as SJK. So I feel thats impossible to have our lead stars again. 

Just keep it as it is now. I don't want another Full House season 2 kinda like .... its weird to me to see t

• Like 11

Photo Essay Book DOTS

CgyCzVOUcAA6_us.jpg 

• CgyCzUBUUAAdPJJ.jpg

===========

============

“Descendants of the Sun” Director Names Most Memorable Scene in the Drama

“Descendants of the Sun” Director Names Most Memorable Scene in the Drama

Director Lee Eung Bok of KBS2’s “Descendants of the Sun,” picked Song Hye Kyo’s crying scene as the best moment of the drama.

On the episode of KBS2’s “Lets Meet Again Descendants of the Sun: Epilogue” aired on April 22, Lee Eung Bok cannot say enough about Song Hye Kyo’s acting.

He especially compliments the scene where she sobs after receiving the news that Yoo Si Jin (played by Song Joong Ki) has passed away.

“It was more memorable than a hundred lines and truly touching,” he says. “They weren’t just tear drops falling because of mere sadness. It was captivating to see how the tears would fill up in her eyes and overflow.”

Several other viewers agreed with his comment afterwards, saying, “It was very impressive” and “You can’t criticize Song Hye Kyo for her acting.”

Meanwhile, “Descendants of the Sun,” which ended on April 14, was a nationwide hit, with its highest ratings being 38.8 percent, even to the point of creating its own catchphrase.

http://www.soompi.com/2016/04/23/descendants-of-the-sun-director-names-most-memorable-scene-in-the-drama/

• Like 22

Watching the whole series all over again because I can't get over DOTS :bawling:

Btw guys this is so off topic but one main reason I love Kim Eun Seok writer is cause of the stories she makes for both the leading and supporting characters :)

I was thinking that not any writer could write such an amazing story for GooWon couple 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

From the BTS, it looks like SJK really almost had his fingers run over by the car! Hahaha...

I know, right? And his expression and reaction after that were sooooooo cute and spot on! With his personality who knows when to be serious and when to just be carefree, I think he is seriously one honestly FINE and VERY interesting man. And I just love this about him so much! He's really sooooo cute and I really can't stop myself from fangirling over him despite my being slighly younger than SHK :D 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, happifruit said:

All in all, was DoTS the best thing ever? No.

I have enough of a sense of reality to see that there were a lot of unexplored points and mis-handlings. And levers that did not get thrown.

Was it the best drama of the year? No. That honour goes to Signal.

Was it a really, really, really good drama? Yes.

Was it one heck of a ride? You bet.

Was it an absolute blast to watch? OH, YES IT WAS!

I know what you mean.  Objectively, I know it's not the best written drama out there.  I've watched many more thoughtful dramas in the past.  But of all of them, DotS is the one that grabs my heart and makes me happy just thinking about it.  It's the one I can watch over and over again and never tire of it.  And it's the one that will be the hardest to let go.

I think of DotS as a summer blockbuster movie.  I don't expect it to win any awards at the Oscars, but that's okay because it is oh so thoroughly fun and entertaining.  That's what makes it such a winner.  ;)

35 minutes ago, faidaris said:

I know, right? And his expression and reaction after that were sooooooo cute and spot on! With his personality who knows when to be serious and when to just be carefree, I think he is seriously one honestly FINE and VERY interesting man. And I just love this about him so much! He's really sooooo cute and I really can't stop myself from fangirling over him despite my being slighly younger than SHK :D 

If it makes you feel any better, I'm slightly older than SHK and can't help myself either.  :P

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Yasaman Asghari said:

Btw guys this is so off topic but one main reason I love Kim Eun Seok writer is cause of the stories she makes for both the leading and supporting characters :)

I was thinking that not any writer could write such an amazing story for GooWon couple 

Not at all off topic, as it relates to the DotS script.  I agree with you.  I really like how she fleshed out the second couple and gave them their own story without some sort of love rectangle (or worse, love triangle).  I also like how they provided a nice foil for the main couple.

Above all, I like the freshness with which she approached the conflict that kept the main couple apart.  In Korean dramas, we're so used to watching couples battle some sort of misunderstanding, some forced arrangement, some family opposition, and etc.  I liked that in DotS, it was their professions that was the focus.  I think that's what made all four of the main characters so lovable to me.  They were professional and focused on their jobs/responsibilities.  They were also strong individuals (no Candies running around here!).  Certainly, love made their lives better, but they were equally capable of functioning by themselves.  That was really nice to see.

5 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Dots withdrawal is real. I keep coming back hoping to see updates though I know there won't be any... Sob! Rewatching plans, anyone?

I'm already on it.  ;)  Although, to be fully honest, I've been rewatching ever since I first started watching.  What other drama has me watching the same episode at least one more time, if not twice, in the same day that it airs???  Ah, DotS.  What have you done to me?

• Like 12