[Drama 2014/2015] Punch 펀치

larus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, until the next two episodes, I will talk about episode 5 a little more.

For people who watched Empire of Gold, it is not a surprise that we have in the drama parallels with history, metaphors, allegories and very good quotes.   The same writer, the same style in writing. And I love it.

Let`s remember a scene. Lee Tae Joon was looking for some book in his office singing under the astonished eyes of Jo Kang Jae, his new right hand.  Why was that book so important to him? It was a book hard to find, "The History of Late Joseon Period". 20 years have passed since he opened it. He looked for a picture. It was the picture of Jeon Bong-jun being taken away of the authorities. Here you will find more information about this man, an important Korean figure, the supreme leader of the Donghak Peasant Troops who fought against imperialist Japan's aggression in 1894. Lee Tae Joon must feel like him in this moments. he was betrayed by his loyal man. "Look at him", he said to JKJ. "No spirit that used to command tens of thousands of people, no anger towards his subordinate who reported him. The subordinate must had a young child and a wife too". "Yes, it is over for me now." must think JBJ."Does he have that face?"  Jo Kang Jae is worried but no,  Lee Tae Joon is not like the resigned  Jeon Bong-jun in that moment. Disappointed and angry he exclaims looking at that picture:  "Fool! Don`t you have a child? Don`t you have a wife? Don`t you have a dream?   He rips the page and crumples it in his hand. He will fight Park Jung Hwan.

A very good scene. =D>

One of my favorite scene from episode 5 was when Jung Hwan entered in the scene with Choi Yeon Jin. Cool, controlling on the situation, an imposing presence. He reads poetry too? :) Too bad he is not the moral person above them all, he is just like them but with a winning hand at that time.

tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo1_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo2_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo3_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo4_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo5_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo6_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo7_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo8_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo9_1280.png
tumblr_nhm68vmvp71sdd1ivo10_1280.png

I found the poem Falling Petals by Cho Chi Hun/ Jo Ji Hoon.

An interesting story about that verse Jung Hwan quoted. " Will you blame the wind for the falling flower?" Another translations "No blaming the breeze if blossoms fall";  " If the petal are shed should we blame the breeze?".

A chief editor wrote a column in a newspaper about a real moment in Korean history. He wrote that "Park Ji-won, former Blue House chief of staff for President Kim Dae-jung, was taken into custody once again for malfeasance in the course of arranging an inter-Korean summit meeting in 2000. He said, “Flowers have fallen four times and the season of green trees and fragrant grass has come once again.” When prosecutors first detained him three years ago, he quoted from “Nakhwa,” falling flower, by Jo Ji-hun, “How can a falling flower dare to blame the wind?” Mr. Park’s remark reminds us all of how transient and vain political power is. What he did not understand is why flowers fall in the season of green trees and fragrant grass. What if we knew then what we know now?"

I found that interesting and I wanted to share with you. :)

I forgot to ask. Is so hard to sign in on Soompi these days. It`s just me? Is there anyone who has the same problem? Just wonder.

I can`t wait to watch the next episodes. What will be Lee Tae Joon`s next move?  From the stills, Ha-kyung will interrogate Chairman Kim again but I don`t think she will succeed to make him confess again.

Guest psycheros

I also wondered about Jung Hwan not losing his locks, but apparently some operations can be carried out without removing one's hair. Try googling "brain surgery no shaving".

Punch has 'punched' both of P&P and Healer..... For the first time, in term of rating,Punch has coming out on top ..... Last night episode recorded a rating of 9.6%, an increased of 0.9%

Punch = 9.6% ( +0.9%)Pride and Prejudice = 8.4% ( -1.6%)Healer = 8.2 % (-0.4%)
Hopefully,for the future episodes,the rating will reach the two digit number and maintain its postion on the top.....
Cr starnews

Guest IguanaSoap

photo547493.jpg
"Punch - Drama" steadily rises to take top spot over "Pride and Prejudice"

SBS drama "Punch - Drama" continued its steady upward trend and claimed the number one spot in ratings.

According to Nielsen Korea on January 6, SBS "Punch - Drama" rated 9.6%, a 0.9% increase from last episode.

MBC "Pride and Prejudice" fell 1.6%, from 10.0% to 8.4%. Meanwhile, KBS "Healer" is not so far behind with a rating of 8.2%.

Competition is heating up between the three dramas as their ratings are continuously chasing each other.

(Hancinema)

the 6th episode makes me feel so bad to PJHhe is now turning into a junkie, he did everything for people whom he loves but in the end he hurt himselfhe is fighting with the cold weather to get SHK out, but now SHK interrogating him until he is arrestedhe spent money to Yerin's elementary school but SHK discarded ithe even sacrifice his pride to help LTJ and get LTS out from the temple but now LTJ blame him and even smashed the pain killers (as seen on the preview)
i'm not sure if PJH will be able to attend Yerin's kindergarten graduation but God... it's not like he doesn't loved his daughterif he get arrested @ the next episode i'm not sure if he'll be able to attend the graduation except SHK help him and since the painkillers are gone how will he survive in the prison esp when the pain kicksand if he fainted when he is in prison that means he let the prosecutors including SHK know his condition
there is almost no one who stand by PJH side for nowhe left LTJ behind, his ex-wife is also against him, the minister can't do anything but letting SHK arrest her daughter's dad and he even lost the detective as soon as SHK being freed.he have his daughter, ofc, she is his life vitamin but it's not like Yerin doesn't have a mother, she still have SHK as her mother whom she'll always heard and lean on. also his mother, whom started to like prosecutor Choi and put her son under pressure to (maybe) date her or something like thatCYJ herself, i know she's capable but after all, she's just a staff which means she can't do as much as her sunbaes
i can feel the angst is started to flows and in the meantime, i'm not sure whether the PD'll make a twist by make the viewers to symphatize on PJH and started to "please don't ever do that to your husband" on SHK

The episodes kept getting better and really looking forward to tonight's episode. It frustrates me that Ha Gyung is persistent in trying to apprehend all these evil masters by herself. Jung Hwan knows about their corruptions from A-Z and she cannot outwit him. She got the guts, he got the brains. Throughout the episode, what stands out is the Tae Joon & Tae Sub bond between brothers. I felt the warmth when they reminisce their old hard times together which made me think they were not that evil, have that compassion, at least towards each other. We can see that Lee Tae Joon is not that downright evil, but with just corrupted mind. He had a brother he loves and he knew how to shower love for ppl he adores. Now that he lost his brother because of Ha Gyung and Jung Hwan, he will make sure they will get their retributions. So what card will he be playing, now that Jung Hwan will be used as a bait, I am sure the war has just begun.

@mama5794 im afraid to make a conclusion about when SHK will be teamed up with PJH to brought LTJ down tbh, i guessed before that they will join their brains together after PJH underwent the surgery and realize that LTJ arrested SHKbut unfortunately, i was wrong..
so i think that SHK will change her mind after she know PJH conditionas if in the synopsis "..and she help him after she realize his condition." the thing is, we should wait when it will happenafter the painkillers are gone and PJH got arrested, i think we'll know what would happenbut there is still a chance that our conclusion is wrong (again) too..

Guest dzealousie

Episode 5 was quite intense and Junghwan has just fallen into his own trap. He's brilliant, I agree, but his downfall happens, I would hypothesise, is because of him starting to have a lenient heart. When he left Taejoon's side for his ex-wife, I thought saving Hakyung was his only priority and I thought he has had that life-turning point enough for him to take side and cooperate with his wife. But so far, my guess is wrong. In episode 5, he kinda emphasises again that he has no problem with his ex-wife getting hurt. This episode really makes it clear that he was doing it because of Yerin, not because of Hakyung herself. Also, this episode kinda tells us that everyone in the drama so far has their own human values, not that totally evil - be it the bond between brothers like what @mama5794 stated.
As for Junghwan's varying stands, I'm guessing his top priority now that he knows he has so little times and that he has left Lee Tae Joon's side is to organise his family's life thoroughly as he makes his preparation for dying secretly. He starts his plan by getting Ha Kyung out to grant his daughter's wish, then he has sorted out Yerin's education plan and even contemplated in buying the family spot at the charnel house (although I'm curious as to why he wants to buy spots for 6 family members - his parents, himself and his sister count as 4 - the remaining 2 for Yerin and Hakyung?). He tried to find the best possible son-in-law for his mother but was disappointed when he discovered about Hyeonseon's man of her choice. And in the midst of his busy preparation, I'm sure he doesn't want to waste his time being interrogated and detained in the prison which I guess explains his move in helping to find Lee Tae Seob.
But then, now just like @AyuW said, no one is taking side with him, and I'm adding that no one really understands what is on his mind and what influences all his decision making so far. And again, I'm waiting and wondering for what could be the major and overall life-turning point once more. His falling to his lowest level? Him getting arrested by Hakyung is not that enough shame to tarnish his pride. 
Also, just when we thought no one would discover the truth about his trauma removal failure, and just when I was hoping Hakyung wouldn't be the first to knwo about it, it seems the opponent side will get their hand first in this revelation. The preview for Episode 6 shows that the opponent will know his weakness and I guess Lee Taejoon will have nothing to stop him from crashing Junghwan with his own hands. 
Seeing how Yerin will cry solemnly in the preview gives me the idea that Junghwan will not make it to her graduation day. And what more, for now we have been assured that he may not even be able to attend his daughter's primary school entrance ceremony. Ironically, this just shows that Junghwan cannot run from the fact that make him feel bad, the fact that he does want to avoid - which is the fact that Yerin is aware of the absence of the father's role. 
I can't wait to watch what happens in Episode 6 although one thing I know for sure is that it will leave us with many questions again. It may seem like the episode where it brings dead end to Junghwan, but trusting his cleverness, he might come up with his own counter move at the very end of the episode and again make us wait for next week. Who knows.

It took a while to get on board completely but after 6 ep I'm sold. JH is a bad guy through and through and I love that. He didn't get an overnight personality transplant just because he's dying (that's not what bad boys do :) ) and he just carries on doing what he does best, fixing problems, only this time he has only his family's best interest in mind. I hope they keep him bad till the end and we won't get a scene where he gets all emotional and starts apologizing to everyone because that would spoil everything (maybe YR could be an exception).
 Interesting view on ethical conduct from HK, getting her daughter to tell her about JH's whereabouts - I guess you can only go so far by doing the right thing after all ;).
 It's going to be interesting to see JH get really serious about bringing down TJ because I suspect right now he's still at 30% of what he can do and by the looks of things it will be TJ himself who will escalate things once he goes after JH blaming him for his brother's death.
 Oh I almost forgot, loved the scene where JH crashes his sister's "date", the poor guy was shaking in his boots when JH asked for some cold rice - now that's what I call effortless intimidation  >:).

P.S. Special shout out to my fellow KSY fan @larus for starting this thread :)

Guest MaknaeC

150106 SBS Official Website Update

[반갑지 않은 손님] '좋아해요' 반갑지 않은 고백 | [unwelcome Guest] 'I Like You' Unwelcome Confession

Img0404_20150106145447_1.jpg

Img0404_20150106145447_2.jpg

Img0404_20150106145447_3.jpg
Img0404_20150106145447_4.jpg
Img0404_20150106145447_5.jpg

dzealousie said:Seeing how Yerin will cry solemnly in the preview gives me the idea that Junghwan will not make it to her graduation day. And what more, for now we have been assured that he may not even be able to attend his daughter's primary school entrance ceremony.

Archived