[Variety] Roommate Season 2 (It's Okay, 룸메이트)

alfalfa

Guest turtle_tats

Why is PArk Joon Hyung dark skinned? I get it when he was in school because he was a surfer but how about now? It that his normal skin? Is he a pure blood Korean?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cascade7

@turtle_tats i'm not sure if Joon is pure blood Korean (I take that you mean to ask if both his parents are Korean). But the skin tone he has now should be his normal one.  
Not all Koreans are fair though, it's such an obsession. sigh... Even Girl's Generation Yuri has the nickname 'black pearl' when she is SO FREAKING FAIR! it's crazy! 

Guest turtle_tats

cascade7 said: @turtle_tats i'm not sure if Joon is pure blood Korean (I take that you mean to ask if both his parents are Korean). But the skin tone he has now should be his normal one.  
Not all Koreans are fair though, it's such an obsession. sigh... Even Girl's Generation Yuri has the nickname 'black pearl' when she is SO FREAKING FAIR! it's crazy! 

turtle_tats said: cascade7 said: @turtle_tats i'm not sure if Joon is pure blood Korean (I take that you mean to ask if both his parents are Korean). But the skin tone he has now should be his normal one.  

Aaaa... I thought all Koreans are fair skinned because even visitors to our country have fair skin tone. I have a personal challenge to look for a dark skinned Korean.  8-| Thanks for your reply. I will look for Yuri in GG and see how dark she is - sorry i don't know her.  :)

Try Wonder girl's Yubin, and Lee Hyori, they are considered darker skinned in korean standard.

Wow Jackson with that cute kid is adorable.

I loved Bae Jongok singing. She was unsure at first but her voice became strong as the song went. I found a bit about her through this episode something I was always curious about. She is single and ready to mingle it seems but won't date just for the sake of dating.

I was watching this week's episode.. and noticed something odd.. Did anyone else catch GukJoo is missing from the cartoons of themselves?
tumblr_nkfmpkOOk11s6ltybo1_540.jpgtumblr_nkfmpkOOk11s6ltybo2_1280.jpg
I can only count 11 roommates..but last week's opening has all 12 with GookJoo between Park Joon & Minwoo. tumblr_inline_nkfmoy2HX81rannc0.jpg

Guest cascade7

Jackson and Joon in photos!
Joon posted these pics on his instagram account today (27 February 2015) so chances are they might be filming for Roommate. I was wondering when it'll happen cause the last time they filmed was late January and they haven't had any filming since then that we know of. :)
B-1D6U3UMAAb6sg.jpg
B-1GbjIUIAAYa_7.jpg
B-1GcSnUAAEBwtb.jpg
BBBAAAMMM~!!! 리틀쭌 & 쭌!!! #지오디 #Fangod #sbsRoommate #sbs룸메이트 #JacksonWang #JoonPark #박준형 #Got7 #god Lil Jjoon and Joon
B-1OrooW4AAjNnk.jpg

B-1ReUIW0AAaqXU.jpg

Guest turtle_tats

Oh I get it now... Joon's face looks okay in above pictures without makeup but during filming it looks chalky I thought they are covering acne scars or something. 

Guest cascade7

just finished watching the entire episode
RYOHEI IS AMAZING!he's definitely come out of his shell and more than willing to jump in and interact. :) he doesn't wait for others to initiate anymore but took the initiative to feed Dong Wook! ryohei really has hidden charm and ads a quiet but extremely endearing vibe to Roommate! (side eyes all those people who said that he should be removed because he wasn't 'interesting' or 'funny')
Ryohei fighting! 

Dong Wook really IS the big responsible brother of the show :) although i know he'll be busy and much in demand, i hope he stays if there is reason 3 because he's so ingrained in how i perceive the show that it'll be super strange if he weren't around.
Youngji is so cute up at the mountain! she's so playful, i can't believe the hogwarts allusion! made me laugh hard cause i love Harry Potter :)
Jong ok: mother of bad ideas but in the process of going through them, the roommates do bond more :D

p/s is it strange that i'm happy for the lack of seho and gukjoo? it's just that the past episodes have been so much about them (or at least they're highlighted a lot) that it's refreshing to see roommates without them around. I love gukjoo and am okay with seho but once in a while, it's nice to have a change. :) even jackson, i'm glad he isn't featured as much. though i love seeing jackson on screen, i am tremendously relieved and happy that he didn't hike the mountain with them for the sake of screentime. :) 
wondering what willl happen in episode 21!

Guest mihoxD

gerryd said: I was watching this week's episode.. and noticed something odd.. Did anyone else catch GukJoo is missing from the cartoons of themselves?
tumblr_nkfmpkOOk11s6ltybo1_540.jpgtumblr_nkfmpkOOk11s6ltybo2_1280.jpg
I can only count 11 roommates..but last week's opening has all 12 with GookJoo between Park Joon & Minwoo. tumblr_inline_nkfmoy2HX81rannc0.jpg

Guest cascade7

@ElleRBE i wonder the same thing. he was there for the dog training but then no more. does anyone know if he has projects lined up or something?

Guest cascade7

nah, we're all stalkers in some way or other :) i personally stalk jackson's instagram and Got7 activities like a wannabe bloodhound. hehehe...
I hope minwoo is doing well too. he can't seem to really catch a break but things are hard in the entertainment world, some like kangjoon, get a lucky break at the very start of their careers while others hang around a looong time before even mildly making a name for themselves (if that even happens).
the K-public and knetz can be super unforgiving

What do you guys think? Do we have the same thought as them?

I feel like sharing this because I want to see if International fans have the same things in minds. This article is not anything factual, it's just an opinion from the journalist. But from the comments I think we can see what other viewers think of the show. This article has 286 comments/replies. It's written last week. I decided to translate the top 40 comments since the comments vary and I saw some good comments that isn't voted up much.
But first, I want to apologize for this loooong post.
:)>-

Roommate at the crossroads, where will be its direction?

S1 ended after 20 episodes and S2 just passed that. But roommate is now at the point of will either continue to survive or end. (we know it won't end that soon as they just had their latest filming)  So this article 'discussed' the possibilities / choices for changes in the Roommate show.

• 1. To end season 2 and start anew with season 3.
It also dicsuss the possibilities of the 'new' Roommate members
-change the entire casts
-reduce the number of members
-recruit new members - but they need to match/balance them all well.

It also mention how new S2 members contributes a lot to the show and though S2 have their own freshness, but it's not that fresh since there are still some S1 member that remains. So they are expecting on the development of the show for the new season (if there's any)

• 2. The share house is too big, make it smaller.
-they can't capture/show every single moment in the house.
-And since it's not much time left before the house's lease expires, it's just a nice timing.

• 3. Ending the show..     :-S

Netizens' responses
Top 10

1. [+1947, -183] But Youngji & Jackson are fun. kekeke

2. [+1736, -126] Though it's such a shame that Roommate's rating is like that but to compare it to S1, it's a lot better. In S1, it's all about staging Nana-Jo Seho relationship, or doing the humiliating secret camera but...Of course there are some problem here and there in S2 but it's so fun/interesting that's it's not really noticeable. It's fun enough to watch.

3. [+1399, -60] Why is Park Minwoo casted? He doesn't really appear.

4. [+1241, -153] But it's really fun now.

5. [+791, -57] The rating is a bit...

6. [+159, -15] I understand that they cast Park Minwoo who became S1's editting victim in S2 but why did he still wanna do it? Roommate itself has change from its original intention, inviting guests every single week. I don't get why do they even rent the house in the first place. Shooting from a studio would be enough. There's no freshness from the start, not even exciting nor touching moments . The answer to all this is to end the show. Or change the PD.

7. [+143, -17] Honestly, if you put Jackson, Youngji & Joonhyung together, everything becomes interesting.

8. [+119, -11] Or remove some people. It's kinda distracting

9. [+100, -3] Park Minwoo, did he quit or what? If he's not participating in the filming, are they supposed to announce if he already quit.

10. [+98, -5] Did Park Minwoo quit? Just tell the truth.

11. [+89, -4] Did Park Minwoo quit?
12. [+85, -3] If you remove Joonhyung and Jackson, it won't be fun.
13. [+80, 0] This is just my personal opinion but I hope for no more guests.
14. [+90, -10] Youngji-Jackson are so hillarious. Their bickering is cute. keke
15. [+86, -11] But still, it has become more interesting compared to S1.
16. [+71, -2] Remove some of the members. Have a new start with just the core members in a smaller house!
17. [+69, -3] They mantain the ratings with the guests.
18. [+67, -3] I hope they stop inviting guests.
19. [+59, -2] Stop inviting guests. Can't they film just among themselves? ㅠㅠ.. They always invite someone..
20. [+52. -5] Please increase Youngji & Jackson's screentime...I watch Roommate to see the maknaes..
21. [+44, -5] Just remove Park Minwoo. The person that has the most free-time acts as if he's the busiest. He doesn't even come home.
22. [+48, -9] Why wanting to take it down?ㅠㅠㅠ Don't end it, I'm really enjoying the show ㅠㅠㅠㅠ I find it so fun. What is boring about the show?... I smile like a proud mom watching Youngji & Jackson. And Park Joonhyung & Jo Saeho make me burst out laughing. I really enjoy watching it though, so why!!!!!
23. [+36, 0] Did Park Minwoo quit? Or was it because of a busy schedule that he couldn't participate in filming? Or does he hate filming this show that he doesn't appear? He's going nowhere. What is he casted in S2? He didn't even participate nor appear.
24. [+36, 0] It's enough with just the members - no guest. They invite guests every single time.
25. [+47, -13] But I really enjoy watching it. Why...?
26. [+42, -9] I personally think it's interesting enough.
27. [+45, -12] I find it fun though...or was it only me...The maknae line, Jackson and Heo Youngji are entertaining and Lee Gukjoo & Jo Seho too are okay..
28. [+35, -3] Because of everyone's busy schedule, there's always someone missing...without any explaination. A program that is carried by the guests. The concept has become weirder. If you look at what they are filming, it seems that the production team too didn't really plan it well. The good rating during new year special looked as if it would continue.. There are a lot of good scenes you can film when they are doing activities together...Learning something together or if they go with the tear shedding concept, ratings might increase. But above all, too many have done those kinda of things so people will get tired.
29. [+34, -4] Though Park Minwoo rarely involve in filming, he's still being edited out.. The only awkward member.. He was so stucked up in S1.
30. [+32, -2] It's not that the house is too spacious nor because they didn't come out of their room but they didn't appear because they're busy.. We can't seem them gather properly.. They should have film when all the members could gather. Properly show what activities can roommates do together..
31. [+, -] If I want to be honest, it's much better than S1. Conflicts were the main focus in S1. But since in S2 they learn, share and have fun,  we have less frowning scenes. I like it.
32. [+38, -9] Honestly, putting aside the members' scandal, Park Bom & Jo Seho were the funniest in S1. And also, it's kinda interesting when they showed Shin Sungwoo's cooking & Lee Sora's reversal charm. Though in S2, Jackson & Lee Gukjoo seem kinda funny... the rest is only about the guests. Especially the one with Shoo, Rayul & Rahui. It's too much.
33. [+34, -6] Thinking about how S1 started, S2 is so much better.
34. [+31, -3] If the main theme is about 'Share House', I prefer if they really make it like a real share house. When they first enter the house, the home interior has already been set. And finding a smaller house is not only for the sake of broadcast but because it's too unrealistic. It's hard for us to relate.
35. [+33, -8] I wanna keep watching Jackson & Heo Youngji.
36. [+35, -10] I don't watch because of Lee Gukjoo. She really insist on having a love line that I find her annoying.
37. [+26, -2] There are so many overlapping stuff. And also, don't create a love line. Look at Jo Seho, we can see he still have something deep down inside. He's not giving up. So, it doesn't seem sincere at all. Among the new members, we can see that Heo Youngji & the Japanese guy are just being themselves. Because of that, it looks less awkward. Also, erase all the full makeup. It make it seems as if they're filming an awkward sitcom. They can increase their screen time by doing something naturally, not by being self-conscious. Also, can they focus on each other a bit more? Don't just focus on their own self.
38. [+30, -7] During S1, there are times I turned it off halfway through watching but I really enjoy watching the show now. They really pick the 2nd batch members really well.
39. [+23, -1] It's fun though. But if Park Minwoo isn't going to show up, just let him go. It gives me an unsettled feeling. Please stop inviting guests. The members playing and having fun just among themselves is interesting enough. There is no need in inviting guests every single week. Still, it's so much better compared to S1.
40. [+21, 0] It seems like we can see Park Minwoo once in every 3 weeks.

The rest of the comments (in general) / Interesting replies.

• Many says they are enjoying the show. So they are against the idea of taking it down. Some want it as it is, some want S3...
  • There are also many replies asking them to just end the show.
  • "Why do people who don't even watch the show complaining? I hope Roommate will continue airing"
  • To remove the busy members / simply remove some because it's too many. Members that some people suggest to remove- Minwoo, Nana, Bae JongOk.
  • "Can they put the show back to its original time slot after Kpop Star end?"
  • A number of fans from Daegu complaining it doesn't air there.
  • "They always put Youngji-Jackson together. Think about the fans too. I don't watch the show anymore because of that"
  • From comments, members that almost all want to keep / hope will continue to stay - Joonhyung, Youngji, Jackson. (members that get mix reactions - Seho & Gukjoo)
  • A fan complaining that first few episodes were so good but one day, the show started to invite guests over and over + some members got less and less screen time while some members 'dominate' the show.
  • "It's fun watching the show once/twice..but after watching more episode, they keep showing the same members. And they really didn't do much activities."
  • "The problem is not the members but the concept of the program" 

Guest cascade7

@alabm10 I LOVE the long post! thank you for sharing and I certainly would like to add to the discussion but i'm going to post some updates first:

기사 이미지
http://news.nate.com/view/20150302n11291

Seems this man REALLY took a liking to Jackson
From sbs roommate twitter:
Embedded image permalink
Embedded image permalink
Embedded image permalink
SBS룸메이트Roommate @sbsroommate · 3h3 hours ago

[룸메이트] 북적부적 셰어하우스에 초대된 '기러기 아빠' 김흥국 & '순정마초' 이계인! 두 남자와 함께 하는 불타는 화요일~♬ 내일밤 11시 15분에 공개됩니다! "으아~ 내일 밤 들이대~"

(darn it, i was hoping that they had forgotten about these two men :P )

Guest cascade7

episode 21 preview!!!!

i wish jackson could have gone along for the korean lesson (cause he NEEDS it) lol! i'm also hoping that the first half of the show (the segment with guests) be not... that..... long..... (cause it looks like the two guests talk mostly with seho).

edit: noticed that Joon and Ryohei are wearing traditional Korean new year clothes! which means that Amber, Bambam and Henry will be in the next episode if not at least previewed in episode 21!!!!
p/s LOVED jackson's question 'Who are you?', the guest says 'do you know who i am?' and Jackson's answer 'I KNOW YOU, HYUNG!'

Archived