[Reality Show] The Genius 더지니어스 Season 3 - TVN (Season concluded 17th Dec 2014)

Guest m1deoyo

soooo, they released two of the games that are gonna be played later in the finale.

betting rock paper scissors ------ WTAF?????? WHY???????? LIKE COME ON ARE YOU KIDDING??
new game (idk yet)
twelve janggi

(source) - got the link from hyunmin's tweet earlier
sadly, the finale's gonna be live the moment i enter my final exam today (7am, my time, wish me luck guys!), soooo, i'll recap/do spoilers later.
hopefully this next spoiler works. i'm editing from my phone rn i watched it as soon as i finished my exam. spoiler bc i need to let my emotions out bc of the finale.

i know i said before that i'd be happy whoever wins but.... COME ON.

let me preface the rest of this rant by saying that dongmin did well in rounds two and three.

8 TO 3 DISTRIBUTION THO????? plus the fact that dongmin has more garnets, so the left over one went to him as well. that's 9 items to 3 items. also, that huge gap of info can't be overcome like wHYHOWWHATSIGHS.

i also have an issue with the games they played. esp betting rps, like, rea-freaking-lly?????

the bromance is still hella cute tho. gotta love it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest keemchia

new to this thread (lurked around a lot). oh gosh, a betting game for the finale? methinks it has something to do with the guests. and twelve janggi? which dongmin is really good at? and hyunmin does well too? daebak. 
and yes, i agree that this may be the best finals yet as long as the guest influence is not so great... I'm still a little annoyed by how Kyunghoon played in ep 11! :( he was such a wildcard! :( I hope the guests split themselves up evenly - if jongbeom, yoohyun, yeonseung, ahyoung/yeonjoo are backing one person, the guest support will be quite imbalanced... a bit like Jinho's team vs Kyungran's team if the guest support requires huge mental strength. 

Guest keemchia

watched it live too, and I just have to say that this final has had the: 

craziest distribution of items. that was a really uneven distribution of items and backers. at least there wasn't so much guest influence, but the distribution made my jaw drop.  

Guest Lil.Miss.A

GREAT FINALS!!

Cheers to the winner. You were awesome. All the way. A new fan here.
(I'm putting this on spoiler coz my prev posts tended to side on him ^^ )

And that's all folks! To the next season go go go~

Guest erna_wb

final match is really exiting! /as expected/

this season has good storyline. and the final match give a very nice ending to the story.
whoever you root for or how good and bad their play has been, black garnet has been enjoyable ride. i dont really have one favorite to win this season-- i tend to root different player on each game/episode-- but i really like almost all of them.

can't wait for another season~

Guest sansothyvong

I'm glad Dongmin won, Actually i like Hyunmin more but i really want Dongmin to win. If Hyunmin have won i think he may think himself smarter than Dongmin and lead to effect their relationship. As now Dongmin have won Hyunmin will respect Dongmin more and their relationship may last very long

;)

Hope to see Hyunmin in other show soon ^_^

Guest snowdjinn

FINAL EPISODE
Congratulations to the Winner of Season 3 !
edited !!!  i added Final Results (cash).

OMG.... Hyunmin wearing black leather.. cuuuuuuute... haha. ! 8:3 Items !! i like it ! Finally, the eliminated players have the courage to pick sides and its not a boring 6:6. Its only fair to make it 8:3, as long as the players support the player they want to see as winner. I was happy Jongbum picked Hyunmin. (because of Jongbums elimination and Hyunmins tears), I was also happy Ahyoung took revenge and gave her item NOT to Dongmin (hehe). I was also happy Dongmin got support from many players whom he allied with during the games. Dongmin tried hard to protect his allies so he deserves 8 items.

I really like the editing ! The intro when the players watch clips from previous videos (that they havent seen yet), thats very touching and awesome. They could have shown us even more of this, i wouldnt mind. Its a close battle. Even in the final game, even with more items, Dongmin just has 8 chips vs Hyunmins 7 chips so its only a 1 chip lead.... the 1 additional chip he got from the start... LOL. The deciding move was Hyunmins betting. So in a way Hyunmin decided his own fate.

Congratulation to Dongmin ! Its also good news for all Hyunmin fans. I hope the 2nd place doesnt satisfy him and he signs up for Season 4 again OR maybe he shows on other variety shows to show viewers how great he is. haha. Okay, maybe its just wishful thinking.

All in All, i enjoyed Season 3 the most. The atmosphere was good and hopefully celebrities have more courage to sign up for Season 4. After S2, i was worried no one would sign up for Genius anymore. Well, lets all hope for an awesome Season 4 in a couple of months.

Black Garnet was totally useless. LOL. Not even 1 successful black mission. i hope they find a better rule for S4. 

Final Results (Season 3)
Dongmin - approx. 60 000 us dollars
Yoohyun - approx.   9 000 us dollars
Jinho      - approx.   5 000 us dollars (if he shared with Sangmin)
Sangmin - approx.   5 000 us dollars (if Jinho shared with him)
Hyunmin - approx.  10 000 fans worldwide ? probably.

Everyone seems to agree....this really is the BEST SEASON EVER
Really LOVED THE INTRO and that song that was playing.....ahh....feel like watching this episode all over again. seriously, best finale ever. 

Agghh cannot figure out spoiler button....I can't even figure out the delete button....ignore the blank post below....
On a side note, the soundtrack for Finale ep was really amazing

Guest dzareth_8651

what a wonderful final showdown. the editing was perfect, the music was awesome. i especially like the beginning where we get to review both finalists' thoughts along their journey in the show - how they belittled each other before the 1st episode until the finals. one can see they grew to be genuinely fond of each other.

hyun min began as a confident young player who matured to understand there are more important things than winning, while dong min the senior player values his relationship with the other contestants that there were many times he put collective interest above personal gains. both finalists are well-liked (even dong min, despite his loudness), strategically efficient and to a certain extent, loyal. it's really awesome when you think about how they managed to maintain that in a game that promotes individuality, betrayal and backstabbing.

i was touched when hyun min said he traded his tile with dong min in the chain auction for the worst reason - attachment. he is human after all.

additionally, i'm really impressed by dong min's thoughts. he showed a lot of depth in his interview. i thought he was selected for the programme for mc-ing and comedic element, so i didn't expect he would provide such honest views along the show. he earned my respect, or more correctly, i'm honoured to be corrected of my initial preconceptions of him (i also watched him in abnormal summit talking about how he lives together with 9 family members because he likes it which is kind of uncommon these days).

in my opinion, both finalists are winners in their own right.

equally surprising is how s3 prize was the lowest of all seasons. jin ho managed to win krw79m despite sung gyu squandering 13 garnets in the scammed horse race episode, when in s3 only only 9 garnets was used in the scammed yutnori game.

nevertheless, genius s3 crew did a great job with the casting this time. i look forward to s4.

First time posting on this forum, a huge fan of The Genius from S1 to S3.

Just watched the finale of the The Genius S3, really was supporting Hyunmin to win, but i didn't expect Dongmin to win the second round "Same Number Hunt" to path his finale winning in Betting Rock, Paper, Scissors. It was a game Hyunmin have said before that he hated, betting games.
Finale of The Genius : Black Garnet
It was a surprise for me that Dongmin had such a good memory. That Hyumin lost 2nd round was unexpected, even for the past participants. I feel that the 8:3 items distribution was a bit too unbalance, but since Dongmin built his game upon self sacifrice rather than Hyunmin's personal gains, it was to be expected. 
The 8:3 support also path the way for Dongmin to manipulate the final game to his victory. 
Overall it was a very good season, better than season 2. Kwon Juri was eliminated too early, 1st round. I was hoping to see more of this beauty. They also never got to explain the broken friendship between Junghoon & Dongmin.
A brief summary from S1 to S3.  Genius 1 used a 5 Females 8 Males casting, Genius 2 & 3 used 4 Females & 9 Males.

Maybe for season 4, i will like to see a The Genius : All Stars.  Players from S1 to S3 to fight it out. The different playing styles to battle it. The best of the best from The Genius!!

My Top 5 favourite players from S1 to S3.1)Hong Jinho2)Lee Sangmin3)Kim Kyung Ran4)Jo Yooyoung5)Oh Hyunmin

One thing I wanna see in the future season is....really solid female players! They can consider Song Jihyo, or someone who has brains, is not afraid to speak up, yet is cool....I can't think of anyone but her at the moment....and yes to more normal people players!! The normal people players of S3 really shone....except for Kyunghoon...LOL

Guest bumsafrog

Season 3 was definitely my favorite season in the genius so far, and I'm really happy that they included the open casting call because that let us see some sharp minds that you cant really find in the entertainment industry. I hope they do that for the next season too, and Season 4 -- please, include a stronger female cast! The female casting has been too weak compared to the male casting, mostly due to the fact that most of the females here don't really have the smarts that make you shine in a show like the Genius. The Genius is a show that really makes logically-smart characters shine, which is why players like Hong Jinho or Hyunmin were so outstanding. Sangmin and Dongmin as well, these guys are definitely some of the best players in the Genius, and that's because of their ability to grasp the game's concept so well. We need female cast members that have this kind of smarts.
Also, season 3's final match was probably the best and most intense one so far. I really enjoyed the story of the strongest two-man combo reaching the finals and battling it out. Before I watched the final episode, I was rooting for Hyunmin but once I started watching I found myself wishing for Dongmin to win instead. There's just something about the relationship they share, and I feel like for Hyunmin to finally lose - to his strongest ally, Dongmin - would have been the best way for him to grow as a person. That's what I loved best about this season of the Genius; it helped the cast members to grow as individuals that will continue to live in society. It was only in the recent episodes, with Yeonjoo, Yeonseung and Hyunmin, but I just found that part of this season to be so beautiful. Finding themselves as individuals, improving themselves as people, and learning more about themselves. It was touching and heartbreaking to watch the last three episodes, but it also felt to me as if the last three eliminated players had all won in their own way.
And Dongmin definitely deserved to be the final winner of this season. I'm really satisfied with the result. Dongmin was a player that put his teammates over personal interests, which was why he definitely deserved the item advantage over Hyunmin. I don't like it when others think that 'Dongmin only won because he had that advantage over Hyunmin', because its something Dongmin earned through his plays. He gained those items himself, it wasn't that he was the more popular player. I hope that this beautiful partnership that Dongmin and Hyunmin have follow them, and that they continue to be close friends.
My favorite player ranking of season 3 now that its over is:
1. Yoohyun, definitely. Sure, he showed some weak plays every now and then but I think he was a solid player, and had he not wanted to partner with Dongmin so much he would've definitely ended up in the finals. I feel like in the episode where he was eliminated, he wouldn't have been chosen as a DM candidate had he chosen to ally with Yeonseung. They could've had a strong alliance that broke the Min-Min one, but because he chose to ally with Dongmin that episode he ended up in the DM, and eventually got eliminated.
2. Hyunmin. I didn't root for him very strongly at first, but I have to admit that his clever plays really pulled one on me. I didn't like how he was selfish sometimes, but his softness eventually won me out. He was a strong player for sure, and I don't think we'll see another player as clever as him soon. MM-wise and DM-wise, he was the most well rounded and pretty much a gaming-machine in the sense that he quickly understood the games presented to him and found the winning strategies to him just as quickly. I think Dongmin balanced him out really well in the sense that he filled up all his weaknesses, and vice versa. They're a match made in heaven.
3. Yeonseung. I started liking him after the race match, on the episode where he had to go up against Yongsuk for the DM. 'Mentality King', I don't think there's a title that expresses his strongpoints throughout the game more than this one. He really started to shine in the later episodes, and his leaving interview about not being able to surpass his limits was honestly tear-inducing. This is really one of the things that I loved about this season of the Genius - how it wasn't just another variety/reality show but a show that helped these players learn more about themselves, and serve as valuable experiences for their life in the future. 
4. Yeonjoo. I might get a lot of disagreement for this one, but Yeonjoo really deserves this spot for me. She actually should be higher on my list, but I feel like this is the best spot for her. To be perfectly honest, I didn't like her at all during the first few episodes of the show. She wasn't a useful character, she just rode the current and eventually made her way to the final five. But then that DM with Yoohyun changed everything. I actually had a spoiler for that episode since I follow Yoohyun on his twitter - and when I watched the episode I was even more shocked that my favorite player had actually lost to her when the DM candidates were revealed. But after watching the episode to the end, I accepted it without any hate, because I feel like she totally deserved that win. She didn't get any help from anyone, and came up with that brilliant strategy on her own. Going on the same block as him was something that just ended up happening while following her strategy, and I feel like having him flustered was a smart thing to do as well as its just another way of distracting your opponent - similar to what Yoohyun did to Ahyoung in the last episode. This episode made me realize that I had really underestimated Yeonjoo, and made me reflect on her past actions and realize that she deserved credit for getting this far herself. I mean, honestly to get his far without ever being chosen for the DM is a skill in itself. She kept herself discreet and chose the winning sides well the entire time. Episode 10, I was rooting for her and it broke my heart when she doubted herself and lost to Dongmin. She could've beaten him, but she wasn't able to because she didn't believe in herself. Realizing that about herself, the fact that it was she that was holding herself back the entire time - I think that that was a great learning experience for her and see her as a winner even though she lost that match. 
5. Jongbeom. Along with Yoohyun, he was my favorite player since episode 1 because I've been a fan of his webtoon Dr. Frost for a while. When I found out he was going to be in the Genius, I kinda flipped lol. I like how well rounded he is, and liked his mindset and playing style until the episode where he was eliminated. I wasn't too fond of the fact that he took Hyunmin's strategy and used it against him after claiming that he would team with him, and felt like he deserved being eliminated that episode because of that, but other than that he was definitely one of the players I was most rooting for. He wasn't a players that was definitely going to win, but I enjoyed his interactions with other players. Still one of my more favorite players in the entire series for sure.
6. Dongmin. He was one of the players I didn't expect much out of at first, but eventually grew on me in the end. Play-wise he proved that he actually had a smart head on those shoulders, and I really liked and respected his care for his teammates over self-benefit. Despite the fact that every player he teamed up with ended up in the DM, and eventually eliminated, I admired the fact that he was so loyal the entire time and feel like he completely deserved the 8:3 item ratio he got at the final match.
7. Ahyoung. She wasn't very smart in the game, but god her laugh was freaking hilarious. Her interactions with Dongmin were hilarious as well, and she really brought life to the set of the Genius, even more so than Dongmin did. I kinda felt like she was a good icebreaker for this season, and although she kinda ticked me off in the sense that she played the stereotypical dumb but pretty and for entertainment only type of female role, I still enjoyed her presence. I'm pretty sure she's smart in her own way, but I don't think she was made for the genius as her mentality is really weak, and the genius brings attention to more logical-minded thinkers. Her personality was really unique and friendly though, something I really liked about her, and like Dongmin said I don't really think I've seen a character like hers before, ever. Her laugh is more or less one of the things I'll probably miss the most from her.
8. Junghoon and Sujin tied. Starting here I don't really remember the characters, but in terms of my like towards them these two are tied. At first I thought Sujin would play the richard simmons role in this season but she turned out to be much kinder than I expected, and kind of gave off a slightly motherly aura. Junghoon was my third favorite character at the start, after Yoohyun and Jongbeom, but that quickly dwindled through the episodes as he started proving himself a less useful player.
9. The remaining players, Hweejong, Kyunghoon, Juri and Yongsuk are ranked roughly the same. Hweejong is slightly above them, simply because of his loyalty to Dongmin but I didn't like his aggressive plays much. I wasn't too fond of him in season two, and was pretty darn happy when he was eliminated by Yoonsun, but I really liked the Soopdeul-dance-flower-picture thing at the beginning of S3E1, and see him in a slightly better light since. I didn't like Kyunghoon and Yongsuk period, Yongsuk from that DM episode where he was threatening everyone and Kyunghoon for episode 1 where he did a pointless betrayal just for some more attention/screentime. I did start getting a bit more affection for Kyunghoon after he showed his interest in Ahyoung (that was freaking adorable), but after he came back and I saw him again... Yeah. Don't really like him. Juri's down here also simply because I only saw her in episode 1 and dont remember much about her at all.
Overall, Season 3 was honestly the Genius's best work, and its my definite favorite season. Cast-wise or game-wise, the producers pulled it off flawlessly and I'm hoping that season 4 is just as good or better. I do hope they start planning better games though, because when comparing the level of game difficulty to other psychological/mental game sources of entertainment like Liar Game, it is pretty lacking. More creative and less repetitive DMs would be a plus! But regardless, this season was just perfect and I cant wait for the next one!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone :) Looks like Season 4 is coming :)

Article: [Exclusive] 'The Genius', Season 4 is coming! "Broadcast date to be confirmed"
Source: OSEN via Naver

1. [+754, -13] It will be successful as long as it won't be like Season 2

2. [+508, 10] Looking forward to it ㅎㅎㅎㅎ

3. [+495, -8] Kyaa~~ So excited. A program in which the people they cast becomes an important decision

4. [+352, -8] So excited to watch it

5. [+74, -2] I wish they invite Hong Jin Ho, Sunggyu and Jang Dong Min

6. [+74,-2] I have no other wish than to see Hong Jin Ho, Sunggyu, Jang Dong Min and Sunggyu again

7. [+66, -8] I hope they invite someone who's similar to Sunggyu!! Looking forward to it

8. [+49, -3] Cast Sunggyu !!!!

9. [+50, -9] I wanna see Sunggyu! Even if he's just a guest..

10. [+37, -3] 1>3>>>>>>>>2

CR: kkuljaem and OSEN

• 1 month later...
Guest zzzMugiwara

I can see 10 years from now, The genius would cast the winner of all previous season and have a final showdown, the hype would be immense

Guest KongYellOw

I just recently fpund thie variety show and i'm in love with it. currently watching season 1.
and my friend said "do not watch season 2, jump to season 3"
why?

and ofc my favorite is hong jin ho~ i'm madly in love with this genius guy hahaha.
and i know he lost in season 2, and i think i'm going to skip season 2, and jump to season 3 to watch dong min~

anyway, nice to know you guys~

I just recently fpund thie variety show and i'm in love with it. currently watching season 1.

and my friend said "do not watch season 2, jump to season 3"

why?

and ofc my favorite is hong jin ho~ i'm madly in love with this genius guy hahaha.

and i know he lost in season 2, and i think i'm going to skip season 2, and jump to season 3 to watch dong min~

anyway, nice to know you guys~

Hi there! Glad to see a new fan of The Genius here! >:D< 

Have you been spoiled by the endings for all three seasons? It is a bit hard to say the issue with Season 2 without spoiling but I'll just say that the friendly camaraderie and intelligent gameplay that fans loved in S1 was not as strong in S2, and there was also a controversy in a particular episode with the way how certain players 'played' that had fans quite furious. 

Nevertheless, I'll still recommend to watch all three seasons in completion so that you can see the dynamic interactions among players and the myriad strategies players came up with when playing the same games. We as viewers also picked up many 'lessons' on dealing with social dynamics in the real world. Enjoy all three seasons and share your views with us too! ;;) 

Archived