Guest maea18

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Film Review] "The Throne"

2015/11/14 | 38 views | 0 Comments | Permalink

photo653955.jpg

Prince Sado (played by Yoo Ah-in) appeared, at a young age, to have all the proper talents necessary to become an effective ruler of Joseon Korea. But as Prince Sado grew older, it became clear that he was a sensitive child poorly suited to statecraft but well attuned to art. King Yeongjo (played by Song Kang-ho) was disappointed. Though King Yeongjo was a great King, he lacked the patience for anything except perfection. And unfortunately, the glaringly imperfect Sado was King Yeongjo's only surviving son.

"The Throne" is a royal intrigue in the tradition of Damocles. King Yeongjo has long grown accustomed to the sword above the throne which marks his destiny. Prince Sado, by contrast, can't accept this fate. He just doesn't have the right temperament. When Sado loses his only real ally in the palace, he becomes obsessed with obscure rituals, and soon does little in his spare time save for slowly spiraling into madness. Sado is no Prince- he's just a sad little boy made increasingly distraught over the fact that nothing he does will ever be good enough to please his father.

And that's about all there is to "The Throne". Aside from this one main, obvious thematic flourish, nothing else happens in this film that's of much relevance. Nearly every other character is just a terrified bystander first to King Yeongjo's immensely regal demeanor, and later to Prince Sado, who has clearly lost his mind and has no way of getting it back. The entire situation is, in a word, completely and utterly hopeless. Director Lee Joo-ik wallows in this sentiment, maximizing the sense of helpless defeat. It's for good reason that we start with the box and work backwards through flashbacks.

"The Throne" is immensely cinematic in its portrayal. There's not really any deeper meaning to be had here- the story that plays out is a matter of scale. Hapless father-son relationships are always unpleasant, but the unfortunate case of Prince Sado is one that's tragic mainly because of its scale. Most sons don't resort to outright murder to vent out their filial frustration, but in Prince Sado's case there's no one who can stop him. The main reason Sado can't get along with his dad is precisely because Yeongjo won't talk to him.

I especially liked Yoo Ah-in as the defeated Prince. A late scene has Sado eavesdrop on an essential conversation that destroys the Prince precisely because it's everything that he ever wanted from his father. It's just that Sado is unworthy of the dignity because he likes different things. Sado loves the beauty of nature, the spirituality of ritual, the expression of art- and these things mean nothing to King Yeongjo.

It's appropriate that the visuals of "The Throne" are presented in a similarly grandiloquent manner. Where King Yeongjo can only see the importance of the classics, Prince Sado (and director Lee Joon-ik) see a grand world of immense beauty just waiting to be looked at it- if only there was someone to watch it with together. "The Throne" suffers somewhat from it's extremely limited vision of the emotions at play the Prince Sado tragedy. But what the film chooses to focus on, it illuminates very well.

Review by William Schwartz

"The Throne" is directed by Lee Joon-ik and features Song Kang-ho, Yoo Ah-in, Moon Geun-young, Jeon Hye-jin-II, Kim Hae-sook and Park Won-sang.

LINK: http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-film-review-the-throne-88524.html

• 2 weeks later...

Who will smile at Blue Dragon Awards?

Updated : November 25 2015

The 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards, one of the major film award ceremonies in South Korea, will see 2015’s hit films contend for the top prizes on Thursday.

Song Kang-ho, Yoo Ah-in, Jung Jae-young, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jung-min (OSEN)

Other annual awards include May’s Paeksang Arts Awards and November’s Korean Association of Film Critics Awards and Daejong Awards.

For the upcoming event, films “Ode to My Father,” “The Classified File,” “Assassination,” “Veteran” and “The Throne” were nominated for the Best Film Award.

“Assassination,” directed by Choi Dong-hoon and Caper Films production, drew attention this time as it boasts the highest number of cross-field nominations ? best film, director, main actor, main actress, supporting actor, filming, technique, script and more ? which came to a total of 12 nominees across 11 categories.

“Veteran” was listed in 10 categories, “The Throne” in nine and “Ode to My Father” in eight.

The directors of the films -- Choi Dong-hoon of “Assassination,” Ryu Seung-wan of “Veteran,” Gwak Gyung-taek of “The Classified File,” Lee Joon-ik of “The Throne” and Yoon Je-kyoon of “Ode to My Father”-- will vie for the Best Director award.

Both Best Film and Best Director awards from the 52nd Daejong Awards on Sunday had gone to “Ode to My Father,” while “The Throne” took the Best Film title and Ryu Seung-wan of “Veteran” the Best Director honor at the 35th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards last week.

The industry is keenly watching whether “Assassination” will be able to match its rivals at the Blue Dragon Awards.

In the best actor category, Song Kang-ho and Yoo Ah-in, who were father and son in “The Throne,” will contend for the trophy. Lee Jung-jae from “Assassination” and Jung Jae-young of “Right now, Wrong then” and Hwang Jung-min of “Veteran” are also nominees for the prize.

Hwang had won the equivalent award at the Daejong Awards, Jung at KAFCA and Lee at the Buil Film Awards held Oct. 2.

In the best actress category, Kim Hye-soo of “Coin Locker Girl,” Lee Jung-hyun of “Alice in Earnestland,” Jun Do-yeon of “The Shameless,” Jun Ji-hyun of “Assassination” and Han Hyo-joo of “Beauty Inside” were nominated.

Jun won the honor at Daejong, Kim at KAFCA and Jun at the Buil Awards.

Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-hyun, Jun Ji-hyun, Jun Do-yeon and Han Hyo-joo (OSEN)

In the supporting actor category, Bae Sung-woo from “Office,” Yoo Hae-jin from “Veteran,” Jo Jin-woong from “Assassination,” Oh Dal-su from “Ode to My Father” and Lee Kyung-young from “Minority Opinion” were nominated.

Oh won at the Daejong Awards and Lee in the Buil Awards. The two costarred in “Assassination.”

In the supporting actress category, Moon Jung-hee of “Cart,” Jun Hye-jin of “The Throne,” Ra Mi-ran of “Ode to My Father,” Jang Young-nam of “The Classified File” and Jin Kyung of “Veteran” were nominated.

Moon holds the trophy from the Buil Awards.

Lastly in the newcomer actor category, Park Seo-joon from “The Chronicle of Evil,” Lee Min-ho from “Gangnam Blues,” Kang Ha-neul from “Twenty,” Byun Yo-han from “Social Phobia” and Choi Woo-shik from “Set Me Free” were nominated.

The according prizes had gone to Lee Min-ho at Daejong Awards, Choi Woo-shik at KAFCA and Byun Yo-han at Buil Awards.

For the newcomer actress category, Gwon So-hyun of “Madonna,” Lee Yoo-young of “Late Spring,” Park So-dam of “The Silenced,” Seolhyun of “Gangnam Blues” and Lee Yu-bi of “Twenty” were nominated.

Gwon won the award at KAFCA, while Lee of “Late Spring” won at both the Buil and Daejong awards. However, for the Blue Dragon Awards, Lee was nominated for her other work, “The Treacherous.”

Winners will be announced for 18 categories. The decision will be based on the combined data from surveys carried out among film industry experts on movies released between Nov. 1, 2014, and Oct. 8, 2015. An online public poll will also be taken into consideration.

The trophy-holders will be crowned on Thursday at the 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards to be held at Seoul’s Kyung Hee University.

By Lim Jeong-yeo (kaylalim@heraldcorp.com)

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201511251633086806181_2

• 1 month later...

Yonhap News Agency

January 21, 2016

'The Throne' picked as best film of 2015 by Korean film reporters

SEOUL, Jan. 21 (Yonhap) -- An association of film reporters in South Korea said Thursday that it has chosen "The Throne," the tragic story of a Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) king starving his own son to death, as the best domestic picture of last year.

The Korean period drama was chosen to win Best Picture from the Korea Film Reporters Association, beating out other box-office sensations "Veteran" and "Assassination."

The historical film also took home the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress awards. Rising young star Yoo Ah-in took Best Actor for the role of ill-fated Crown Prince Sado.

The movie depicts how King Yeongjo struggled to keep his own throne in the face of various challenges and clashed with his son, eventually locking him in a wooden rice chest for eight days to slowly kill his own child.

Jeon Hye-jin captured the supporting actress award for her role in the historical film directed by Lee Joon-ik.

However, the film journalists picked Ryoo Seung-wan as the recipient of the Best Director Award for his action comedy "Veteran."

Best Actress went to Jeon Do-yeon for her role in the film "The Shameless, 2014."

Oh Dal-su, who played an impressive role in the historical action flick "Assassination," won Best Supporting Actor.

The Korea Film Reporters Association, with 82 members from 50 media companies, chooses winners for the "Film of the Year Awards" every January from all the domestic films that opened the previous year. Winners are chosen through the members' votes.

This year's awards ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday at the Press Center in downtown Seoul.

(END)

January 21, 2016

'The Throne' rated best film of 2015

Source: The Korea Times

sado_450.jpg

Korean period drama, "The Throne," has been chosen as best film of 2015 at the seventh "Film of the Year."

The historical film won Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress awards.

Directed by Lee Joon-ik, the film tells the tragic story of King Yeongjo during the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), who locked his son, crown prince Sado, in a rice chest and starved him to death.

Veteran actor Song Gang-ho plays King Yeongjo and rising star Yoo Ah-in plays prince Sado.

Members of the Korean film Reporters Association choose the awards.

ejb@ktimes.com

January 21, 2016

Korean reporters pick ‘The Throne’ as best film of 2015

“The Throne” directed by Lee Joon-ik was judged the Best Fim of 2015 at the 7th Korea Film Reporters Association.

In addition, Yoo Ah-in won the Best Actor award, and actress Jeon Hye-jin the Best Supporting Actress for the movie.

(Poster of "The Throne")

The Best Director award was won by Ryu Seung-wan, who directed “Veteran,” recording over 13 million admissions at the local box office. 

Jeon Do-yeon was chosen as the Best Actress for “The Shameless,” and Oh Dal-soo as the Best Supporting Actor for “Assassination.”

Byun Yo-han of “Socialphobia” and Park So-dam of “The Priests” took the rookie awards. 

“Alice in Earnestland” which portrays the tough lives of young people won the Best Independent Film, and director George Miller’s “Mad Max: Fury Road” won in the Best Foreign Language Film category.

The award ceremony will be held Jan. 27 at the Korea Press Center located in Jung-gu, Seoul.

The Best Film awards are chosen by 82 members of Korea Film Reporters Association, who work as movie journalists in 50 media organizations nationwide.

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

• 3 weeks later...

I really really like this movie everyone it's such a tragic heartbreaking story. I really loved the emotions that Yoo Ah In was able to portray with just subtle facial expressions amazing acting on his part. I cried buckets of tears watching this movie. I thought Song Kang Ho's acting as the king was on point as well. Although this movie didn't show a lot of Lady HyeGyeong's plight in this movie. She is a completely fascinating person to me her life was so tragic :tears: . I am really her autobiographical story from her own diary in a translated book. OMG she is such a strong woman to be able to survive this mess. Not for one second was I not moved from the story of her life. I will add the link down here if anyone is interested in reading it. I promise if you love autobiographies and anything regarding Sado,Yi San or Lady Hyegyeong it's a must to read this book (I'd rate it 9/10).

Note to Mods I hope you don't mind me posting the books like here if it's against TOS please let me know and I will remove it asap (thanks).

http://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Lady-Hyegyong-Autobiographical-Eighteenth-Century/dp/0520280482

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived