[Movie 2014/2015] Sado 사도 Song Kang Ho, Yoo Ah In & Moon Geun Young

Guest maea18

September 3, 2015

'The Throne' filmmaker speaks highly of actor Song

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Sept. 3 (Yonhap) -- Filmmaker Lee Joon-ik on Thursday highly praised veteran actor Song Kang-ho's portrayal of a Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) king, who starved his own son to death in a new film depicting the tragic story in Korean history.

"Although the film is titled 'Sado,' it is also a film of King Yeongjo whom Song played," Lee said during a news conference after the film's press preview.

He was referring to the original Korean-language title of the "The Throne." Sado is the posthumous epithet given to the crown prince who was deposed of by his own father King Yeongjo and later starved to death at age 28 confined in a rice chest.

In the period drama, Song portrayed the complex inner world of King Yeongjo, who was one of the greatest kings leading the peak years of the Joseon era but drove his son to death because of his perfectionist inclination.

The 48-year-old actor previously appeared in "The Host" (2006), "Snowpiercer" (2013) and "The Attorney" (2013).

Rising star Yoo Ah-in of "Veteran," the current box-office sensation, played the freewheeling crown prince, beloved by his father for his unusual brilliance in childhood, who increasingly gets to confront the father, wanting to run away from his fate.

"I'm not entitled to evaluate Song's acting," said the director, best known for the 2005 period drama film "The King And The Clown."

"I deeply thank him for honestly describing Yeongjo as a man with many stories but who tries to overcome them."

But the filicide, one of the eeriest chapters of Korean history, is well known to Koreans, often dealt with by many local TV series.

"I also had the same thought," Lee answered when asked why he decided to make a film about the historical story. "But I questioned myself if I knew all the stories of the people involved in the incident, and the answer was no."

That was when he became curious about what led the king to lock his own son in a wooden rice chest and to slowly kill him over eight days.

After playing the king, Song said that he now thinks that the king's "obsession to the throne" and "excessive love" toward his only son caused the tragedy.

"I felt that portraying such a side of King Yeongjo in two hours of short running time was the biggest responsibility given to me as an actor," he said.

"The Throne" is one of the most highly anticipated Korean films in the second half of the year. It is scheduled to open in local theaters on Sept. 16.

AEN20150903011500315_01_i.jpg

The director and the cast of the upcoming Korean film "The Throne" pose for a photo after a press preview at a Seoul theater on Sept. 3, 2015. (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 3, 2015

‘The Throne’ Has Its Press Showing Session

Source: BNTNews

vwkrf7ktg8gqlxs8sxmxa4wzytbkf2z2.jpg

[by Woorim Ahn, photo by Kim Gang Yoo] Movie ‘The Throne’ held its press showing at Megabox COEX in Gangnam, Seoul on September 3. 

‘The Throne’ is about tragic story of King Yeongjo who has to be a king at all times and the Crown Prince Sado, who just wanted to be a son. Song Kang Ho, Yoo Ah In, Moon Keun Young, Jeon Hye Jin, Kim Hae Sook, So Ji Sub (special starring) and others appear in it. 

Meanwhile, ‘The Throne’ will hit the theaters on September 16. (photo by bntnews DB)

4x5d85qkymijln7myzqxya1q6cbxl7zf.jpg

psylwpo7sf39uonbkb163ukm81mgotv5.jpg

dn37m6yyvmeq0haqiw42r7irbfjqfl2i.jpg

@kanyaprasetyo@RyuujinjakkaJ, @rubie           Thank you for great photos and videos from the press conf., as well as articles.

Here is one more...

‘The Throne’ Moon Geun-young “I tried to express the dilemma of relationship”

The press conference for a film ‘The Throne’ was held at COEX Megabox in Samsung Gangnam Seoul on September 3. Its cast members- Song Kang-ho, Yoo Ah-in, Kim Hae-sook, Jeon Hye-jin, and Moon Geun-young, and director Lee Joon-ik attended the event.

The film ‘The Throne’ is a tragic epic that describes the story of King Yeongjo (Song Kang-ho) and Sado (Yoo Ah-in) in view of father-son relationship. Actress Moon Geun-young plays as Sado’s wife ‘Mrs. Hong’.

Moon Geun-young told she wanted to play as ‘Mrs. Hong’ in her previous interview.

Moon Geun-young said, “I filmed a drama ‘Queen Myeongseong when I was young. Then I talked about Mrs. Hong in my lines. I just wanted to play as Mrs. Hong and believed I would do so one day”.

Additionally, “I did not know I would play as Mrs. Hong via this work. She is the only one who undergoes a tragic family history over three generations.  She is the witness of the family history, so I wanted to play as her once”, said Moon Geun-young.

She also told her feeling about playing in ‘The Throne’, “I tried to explain why Sado behaved like that rather than just play my role. I tried to express the dilemma of relationship as Sado’s wife, Crown Prince’s wife, and a mother of the eldest grandson of King.

Meanwhile, the film ‘The Throne’ will be released on September 15.

source

September 4, 2015

September box office to be dominated by men

It was the summer of women in Korean cinema, with heavyweights like Jun Ji-hyun (Gianna Jun), Uhm Jeong-hwa, Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Jung-hyun all returning to the screen around the same time. Now, the men are poised to take over for September. 

Here‘s a look at some of the Korean films coming up in September.

Deep Trap (Sept. 10)
Directed by Kwon Hyung-jin

Ma Dong-seok (Don Lee), a fan favorite who often provides balance and comic relief to otherwise heavy action movies, returns to the screen as the single lead role in “Deep Trap.” The film follows a young couple as they go on vacation to a remote island, where danger awaits. People who know Ma from his adorable role in 2013’s “Marriage Blue” or his easygoing part in this year’s “The Chronicles of Evil” should be forewarned: The movie is very graphic, and you may never see him the same way again.

The Throne (Sept. 16)
Directed by Lee Joon-ik

“The Throne” is easily one of this year’s most anticipated films, helmed by the director of “King and the Clown” and featuring an all-star cast. Song Kang-ho of “Snowpiercer” and “Thirst” plays Yeongjo, the 21st king of Joseon, through 40 years of his life. The film delves into the conflict between the king and his crown prince Sado (Yoo Ah-in, whose last movie “Veteran” surpassed 10 million tickets sold), which ultimately led to the young prince’s death. “The Throne” is this year’s Korean submission to the Academy Awards for the Foreign Language Film category.

The Long Way Home (Sept. 24)
Directed by Cheon Sung-il

“The Long Way Home,” one of two films to open for the Chuseok weekend, is the story of two soldiers during the Korean War -- one from North Korea, and one from South Korea -- who have no interest in ideology, and just want to find their way home. Sul Kyung-gu of “Hope” and “Haeundae” plays a South Korean farmer who is dragged into war and suddenly finds himself responsible for a top secret document. That document is stolen by a young North Korean soldier (Yeo Jin-gu, of TV show “Orange Marmalade” and film “Hwayi: A Monster Boy,”) who has to somehow safely drive a tank home.

The Accidental Detective (Sept. 24)
Directed by Kim Joung-hoon

The other film to open for Chuseok weekend is “The Accidental Detective,” a comedy about a veteran homicide detective (Sung Dong-il) and a mystery blogger (Kwon Sang-woo of “Pain” and “71- Into the Fire”) who become an unexpected team as they try to discover the truth behind a murder cover-up. The hardened detective is annoyed at every turn by the overambitious blogger, but in the end he knows that they must join forces to find the actual culprit. 

By Won Ho-jung (hjwon@heraldcorp.com)

‘The Throne’ Song Kang-ho plays the most humane King

The press conference for a film ‘The Throne’ was held at COEX Megabox in Samsung Gangnam Seoul on September 3. Its cast members- Song Kang-ho, Yoo Ah-in, Kim Hae-sook, Jeon Hye-jin, and Moon Geun-young, and director Lee Joon-ik attended the event.

The film ‘The Throne’ is a tragic epic that describes the story of King Yeongjo (Song Kang-ho) and Sado (Yoo Ah-in) in view of father-son relationship.  Actor Song Kang-ho plays King Yeongjo’s 4o’s to 80’s

He said, “King Yeongjo ruled Joseon for the longest time among the kings of Joseon. He has an inborn complex such as the rumor that he poisoned King Kyeongjong. These things were kinds of karma following his entire life and made him alone. That is why he was obsessed with legitimacy of royal authority.

I think his excessive expression of love towards Sado brought about the tragedy”.

The leaders of ‘The Throne’- Song Kang-ho, Kim Hae-sook, Jeon Hye-jin, Moon Geun-young, Yoo Ah-in, and director Lee Joon-ik

Additionally, Son Kang-ho said, “We did not aim for a traditional historical drama. It might not have showy and stylish aspects.  I tried to express the behaviors of Yeongjo for 8 days as realistic as possible”.

In the play, Song Kang-ho expressed the humane king. He said, “It was not directed by the scenario. It came out naturally”.

Moreover, “I think we have a prejudice against the king. Rather than break it, I just played the king as a human-being”, said Song-Kang-ho.

Especially, He said, “I can see ‘Assassination’ and ‘Veteran’ in our film. I want to be energized by those two films” because Kim Hae-sook and Yoo Ah-in appeared on those films.

Meanwhile, ‘The Throne’ will be released on September 16.

Source

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

highlight by me

Looks like this would be another one, that will not follow Lady Hyegyong's memoirs as to what happened, and certainly Sado's upbringing.

The Throne Selected as the Official Korean Movie Submission for the Best Foreign Picture Oscar

box1.jpg

For a group that just filmed a real life historical tragedy of operatic proportions, the cast of upcoming sageuk movie The Throne (Sado) continue to look positively glowing and happy while doing promotions for the movie. Clearly everyone really got along, and now they have an additional reason to be pleased as The Throne has just been selected as Korea’s official submission to the Academy Awards for Best Foreign Picture. Sweet. Makes more sense than Yoo Ah In’s fashion style being submitted to represent Korea lol.

This happening before the movie has been released shows that the submissions committee liked what they saw when given an early showing, and the selection of The Throne is comes against strong competition in well-received box office hits this year with Veteran, Assassination, and Northern Limit Line. The cast was looking super sharp at a movie talk event this week led by Song Kang Ho along with Yoo Ah In, Kim Hae Sook, Moon Geun Young, and Jeon Hye Jin. I still can’t get over how Yoo Ah In positively beams around Moon Geun Young, it’s such cute admiring fawning.

box.jpg

box14.jpg

box4.jpg

box11.jpg

box2.jpg

box13.jpg

box16.jpg

box6.jpg

unsd

box8.jpg

box10.jpg

'The Throne' actress Moon Geun-young, "I wanted to film romance with So Ji-sub, but my role was his mother"

11986362_1028284447207705_41157516134050

Moon Geun-young expressed her feeling about her role as So Ji-sub's mother. On the September 5th episode of KBS 2TV's 'Entertainment Weekly', the main actors of "The Throne".

Song Kang-ho, Jeon Hye-jin-II, Moon Geun-young and Yoo Ah-in were interviewed while the movie is scheduled to be released soon. Moon Geun-young, who took on the role as mother in the movie, said, "The child actor, who plays the childhood of son, greeted me saying, "Mother, how are you".

So it made me think 'I am a mom at this age?". When she was asked, "We heard there is a tremendous son than the child actor", Moon Geun-young responded, "Honestly speaking, I told the director I didn't want to at first" and "I wanted to film romance movie with So Ji-sub but my role in the first movie with him happened to be me being his mother. So I asked 'should I be his mother'. I felt a little bit upset about it". Her comments evoked laughs.

cr:Hancinema.net

September 6, 2015

'The Throne' sheds new light on tragic story of royal family

By Baek Byung-yeul The Korea Times

17-03(208).jpg

Song Kang-ho, right, as King Yeongjo of Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) and Yoo Ah-in as Crown Price Sado in a scene from "The Throne" / Courtesy of Showbox

Any Korean who studied history at school must know the infamous story that Crown Prince Sado was starved to death, being locked in a rice chest for eight days by the order of his father, King Yeongjo of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910).

Although historical records show the royal heir suffered from mental illness as well as randomly killing people in the palace, it is still controversial about what led the king to impose such a cruel punishment to his own son.

This unsolved question gave filmmaker Lee Joon-ik an opportunity to bring his cinematic imagination.

In the much-anticipated historical drama "The Throne," Lee portrays the tragic royal family killing that happened in 1762.

For audiences who are used to modern Korean historical period films that attempt to reinterpret past events from a new angle, "The Throne" may taste flat or dull as Lee doesn't try to twist the historical facts much. Instead, the director, best known for 2005 smash-hit period piece"King and the Clown," puts his focus on what makes the relationship between the king and his son become so distant, and builds up to this slowly.

17-04(110).jpg 
Poster for "The Throne" / Courtesy of Showbox

Actor Song Kang-ho, renowned for his previous hits "Snowpiercer" (2013), "The Face Reader" (2013) and "The Attorney" (2013), perfectly portrays King Yeongjo, who's regarded as one of the greatest kings of the Joseon era.

But at the same time the veteran actor, whose filmography offers a wide breadth of roles, ranging from a pertinacious homicide detective in "Memories of Murder" (2003), an ordinary father of a child in "The Host" (2006), to late former President Roh Moo-hyun in "The Attorney," develops feelings of love and hate toward his crown prince son, played by actor Yoo Ah-in.

Yoo also displays the freewheeling crown prince who has to restrain his desire to run away from his fate to be king, which is totally against his father's will.

Actress Moon Geun-young plays the role of Lady Hyegyeong, wife of the Crown Prince Sado while actor So Ji-sub features as their son and the 22nd Joseon monarch King Jeongjo, who succeeded his grandfather.

"The Throne" also made headlines as the Korean Film Council announced Wednesday it decided to submit this film for next year's Academy Award's Best Foreign Language Film. No Korean film has been nominated for the category.

"The Throne" will hit local theaters on Sept. 16.

baekby@ktimes.com,

September 7, 2015

(Movie Review) 'The Throne:' 'Miscommunication' in family can cause tragedy

SEOUL, Sept. 7 (Yonhap) -- The tragic story of Sado, an ill-fated crown prince confined in a wooden rice chest and starved to death, may be one of the most overused themes in TV period dramas.

Director Lee Joon-ki, however, shed new light on the well-known story with his latest film "The Throne." Much of the film's freshness comes from its focus on the increasingly troubled father-son relationship rather than the incident's political background as a factional strife.

AEN20150907002400315_01_i.jpg

The poster of "The Throne," a Korean historical film about an ill-fated crown prince of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) confined in a wooden rice chest and starved to death. The movie is set to open in local theaters on Sept. 16, 2015. (Courtesy of Showbox) (Yonhap)

While trying to show exactly what drove the king to confine his only son to a rice chest, the film deals with a universal theme of miscommunication between people. Transcending its period of the 18th-century Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), it is likely to resonate well with families in today's overly competitive Korean society where, for instance, parents tell their children to be medical doctors, when they want to be a poet or ballerina.

The movie starts with a scene in which the angry Sado visits a royal palace where his father, King Yeongjo, stays, in an unsuccessful attempt to slay him. Sado is later ordered to enter the rice chest as punishment for the failed conspiracy plot.

Reawakened to the past by the confinement, the film described how Sado was a pleasure to King Yeongjo for his braininess when he was a little boy. The king raised the son with a special love and affection, hoping he will be a great successor who is recognized by everyone.

AEN20150907002400315_02_i.jpg

A photo captured from "The Throne," a Korean historical film about an ill-fated crown prince of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) confined in a wooden rice chest and starved to death. The movie is set to open in local theaters on Sept. 16, 2015. (Courtesy of Showbox) (Yonhap)

The film then moves back and forth between the present and the past to show how the king's love fades as the son increasingly disappoints him by showing no interest in the studies necessary to become a perfect king.

Unhappy with his son's character as a freewheeling man with talents in arts, Yeongjo severely scolds Sado for everything he does. Unable to meet the high standards required by his perfectionist father, Sado resented the father at first. But he later becomes mentally ill, harboring hatred toward the father who never loved him. The end of this frayed relationship is a tragedy, as we all know.

Although it is a period drama, the father's lines such as "You should focus on studies" and "Fathers can live only when children do well" reminds viewers of similar situations in modern-day Korea. We often see children clash with their parents, forcing them to do nothing but study hard and get good grades to enter prestigious colleges and lead a successful life.

In South Korea, tens of thousands of students actually quit school every year because they cannot cope with their studies and become involved in delinquency.

Sado asks how studies can be more important than a man who does the studies and confesses to his father in the climax scene that all he wanted was just a warm glance and an affectionate word from the father.

AEN20150907002400315_03_i.jpg

A photo captured from "The Throne," a Korean historical film about an ill-fated crown prince of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) confined in a wooden rice chest and starved to death. The movie is set to open in local theaters on Sept. 16, 2015. (Courtesy of Showbox) (Yonhap)

Impressive was the 9-minute-long heart-to-heart spiritual talk between the father and the dying son on the last day in his life. It has no background music but only the monologue.

"I thought it's dangerous to push ahead with such a long scene but I believed in Song Kang-ho's acting ability," Lee told reporters after a press preview on Thursday.

Including the scene, the movie rests heavily on the shoulders of Song, the nation's top actor who previously took lead roles in "The Host" (2006), "Snowpiercer" (2013) and "The Attorney" (2013). The 48-year-old played King Yeongjo at various ages spanning 40 years.

Although he was the longest-serving king of Joseon and an experienced politician, he abnormally stuck to philosophical studies and aristocratic manners to overcome his many complexes as a son of a royal maid-turned concubine.

Song's portrayal of the hot-tempered, stubborn and rigid man who is an experienced politician is ultimately sympathetic.

Rising star Yoo Ah-in of "Veteran," the current box-office sensation, exudes the freewheeling but lonely crown prince who is going crazy due to both hatred and longing for his chilly father.

"The Throne" is one of the most highly anticipated Korean films in the second half of the year. It is scheduled to open in local theaters on Sept. 16.

sshim@yna.co.kr

South Korean Film 'The Throne' Will Compete in the Oscar's Foreign-Language Category

photo-by-chung-sung-jun-getty-images-ent(Photo by: Chung Sung Jun / Getty Images Entertainment) Director Lee Joon Ik's (R) film chosen as Oscar contender.

'The Throne,' a film that centers on the unfortunate fate of a prince who has been considered not worthy to rule, has been selected by the South Korea as the country's Oscar contender under the Best Foreign-Language Film category this year.

The film, directed by actor-director Lee Joon Ik, has been selected by a unique committee of the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) - with the decision made even before its release.

According to an article posted Wednesday on Variety, films under the category of Foreign-Language should have premiered at least a week prior to the deadline of entry submissions, which will be on October 1, 2015.

Previously titled 'Sado,' 'The Throne' will be released on September 16. Song Kang Ho, Yoo Ah In and Moon Geun Young will star in the historical period drama.

Last 2006, Director Lee's 'The King and the Clown' was chosen by the South Korea as its official submission for the Oscar.

"Despite 'The Throne' being a historical feature, it received high praise by the committee as the direction was truly sophisticated so that even foreign audiences would not find it difficult to understand," KOFIC says in a statement.

Regardless of not having even a single Oscar nod under Foreigh-Language category, South Korea has proven to be "one of the most influential filmmaking nations" not just in Asia, but globally.

Korean films and directors have garnered a number of awards from various film festivals. Also, Korean entertainment companies are considered one of the "most powerful in Asia" because of its television dramas and Korean pop music.

Oscar nominations will be announced on January 14, while the Oscar Ceremony is slated on February 28 and will be held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

(c)koreaportal

September 7, 2015

(Yonhap Interview) History a common asset: 'The Throne' director

SEOUL, Sept. 7 (Yonhap) -- Even for Lee Joon-ik, a veteran director who previously made nine feature films, including four period dramas, making a film about the famous historical tale of Sado, an ill-fated crown prince of Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), proved to be a grueling task.

"History is a common asset, not a bowl that a filmmaker can lock in his own world," the 55-year-old filmmaker said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Monday. "Reinterpreting history in a director's own way is a job requiring a grave sense of responsibility."

AEN20150907008900315_01_i.jpg  

Filmmaker Lee Joon-ik of "The Throne" poses for a photo during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a cafe in central Seoul on Sept. 7, 2015. (Yonhap) Filmmaker Lee Joon-ik of "The Throne" poses for a photo during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a cafe in central Seoul on Sept. 7, 2015. (Yonhap)

His upcoming film "The Throne" is a period genre picture that aims to shed new light on the most tragic family story in the history of the dynasty by trying to find out exactly what drove King Yeongjo to confine his only son, crown prince Sado, to a rice chest and slowly starved him to death.

The top Korean movie star Song Kang-ho and rising star Yoo Ah-in played King Yeongjo and Sado, respectively.

The film intertwines the story, moving back and forth between the present and the past, to condense the 56-year-long history spanning three-generations of the royal family, based on history records as much as possible.

In order to take a "polite" approach, Lee said that he closely looked into all available history records such as the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty and the Diaries of the Royal Secretariat with the film's three screenwriters.

"About 70 to 80 percent of the lines are from the historical materials," the director said.

He says the film is different from other TV dramas that previously depicted the same story in that it focused on the complex relationship between the lead characters.

The director, whose 2005 costume film "King And The Clown" was a big commercial success, drawing more than 12 million viewers, excluded no entertaining elements such as action, violent or obscene scenes to focus on the drama.

Still, Lee says his goal was to catch two rabbits in a single stroke -- making both a meaningful and commercially successful film -- with the new film.

"Anxiety," he answered when asked what was his biggest challenge. "Meeting the public after making a film is a really scary thing."

sshim@yna.co.kr

September 2, 2015

Top Korean Actors Who Guarantee Box Office Success

by leejojoba Soompi

Which top Korean actors can surely guarantee a box office success in the era of multiplex theaters? Is it Song Kang Ho, Choi Min Shik, or Ha Jung Woo, the young blood?

Exactly what factor defines a box office success? Star power is an element you can’t ignore if you want the movie to succeed at the box office.

Here is a list of top box office stars according to the official statistics released by the Korean Film Council. The findings are from the Korean Film Almanac for years 1971 to 2010. From 2011, data collected from the Film Council’s computer network was used to measure the findings. The total number of viewers/tickets from the movies these actors acted in were used to determine this list of box office stars.

10. Ahn Sung Ki (39,833,441 viewers)

9. Choi Min Shik (40,859,388 viewers)

8. Jung Jae Young (49,819,044 viewers)

7. Kim Yoon Suk (49,965,687 viewers)

6. Lee Jung Jae (51,586,615 viewers)

5. Ha Jung Woo (56,801,630 viewers)

4. Hwang Jung Min (58,721,711 viewers)

Hwang Jung Min has enjoyed huge success with “Ode to My Father” and “Veteran.”

3. Sol Kyung Gu (62,984,832 viewers)

Sol Kyung Gu’s hit movies include “Haeundae,” “Silmido,” and more.

2. Ryu Seung Ryong (64,971,576 viewers)

Ryu Seung Ryong comes in at number two. He was in three of the biggest Korean blockbusters ever. They’re “Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King,” “Miracle in Cell No. 7,” and “The Admiral: Roaring Currents.” His status as a box office star has speedily grown since 2010.

1. Song Kang Ho (74,736,952 viewers)

song-kang-ho.jpg

Song Kang Ho tops the list as the one who embodies such star power that guarantees a box office success. Although “Howling” and “Hindsight” didn’t do too well at the box office, he more than made up for it with “Snowpiercer,” “The Face Reader,” and “The Attorney” in 2013.  The accumulative number of viewers for his movies are more than 70 million. His next movie “The Throne” is expected to hit big during the upcoming Chuseok holiday season.

Among the top ten actors on this list, Ha Jung Woo is the only actor in his thirties and Ahn Sung Ki is the oldest on the list. Meanwhile, Oh Dal Soo has been in many of the hit movies mentioned above as a supporting actor. However, he has yet to enter the top ten. Perhaps this will change in coming years.

Oh Dal Soo

Choi Geun Ha who works for Showbox, one of the largest Korean film distribution companies, says, “There’s no such thing as unconditional star power. The viewers trust in the acting abilities of actors like Song Kang Ho, Ryu Seung Ryong, Sol Kyung Gu, Hwang Jung Min, Ha Jung Woo, and others. For instance, viewers give Song Kang Ho credit for selecting and acting in a particular movie. They know he’s a great actor, so they watch with great expectations.”

CEO Kang Hye Jung, who produced “Berlin” and “Veteran,” commented, “When the director is able to effectively communicate his intent to the actor, the whole system works.”

CEO Ahn Soo Hyun, who produced “The Thieves” and “Assassination,” says, “Yes, star power definitely plays a role. But no movie becomes a hit just because a certain actor is in it. If the viewers like the work of a certain actor, they’re more interested in the movie they star in. And the basis of that interest comes from the actor’s ability to deliver great performance.”

As for actresses, the top six were revealed.

6. Han Hyo Joo (approx. 24,530,000 viewers)

5. Uhm Jung Hwa (31,573,965 viewers)

4. Ha Ji Won (33,108,412 viewers)

Ha Ji Won still came in at fourth place even though she didn’t have much success in the box office in the last five years.

3. Son Ye Jin (33,172,311 viewers)

Son Ye Jin takes third place with her success in “The Pirates.”

2. Kim Hye Soo (38,450,993 viewers)

Some of Kim Hye Soo’s box office hits include “Tazza” and “The Thieves.”

1. Jun Ji Hyun (38,930,499 viewers)

Jun Ji Hyun beat Kim Hye Soo by a minor margin due to her recent success in “The Thieves” and “Assassination.”

CEO Ahn Soo Hyun adds, “I think the public demands something more fresh from actresses compared to actors. The viewers become explosively enthusiastic when an actress shows a new unexpected side to her acting style.” She also emphasizes, “The reason they get first choices in selecting scripts is because we trust that they can carry the part they’re offered. No matter the box office and star power, if the actress doesn’t fit the role she plays, it doesn’t work. That’s when great expectations turn into disappointments.”

What do you think about these results? Did your favorite actors and actresses make the list?

Sources (1) (2) (3)

September 8, 2015

(Yonhap Interview) Rising actor Yoo Ah-in likes tragedies

SEOUL, Sept. 8 (Yonhap) -- After the Korean action film 'Veteran" was a huge box-office success, the film's star Yoo Ah-in said Tuesday that he is afraid the success would puff him up.

"I think it was fortunate to hit the score, but I'm afraid this will make me overly proud, as if it is my own success," the 28-year-old actor said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency.

He played Jo Tae-oh, an arrogant and cruel heir of a rich family who is chased by a police detective after beating an innocent truck driver to death in the film directed by Ryoo Seung-wan.

Also starring Hwang Jung-min as the detective, the film has collected more than 11 million admissions in local theaters, becoming the ninth-most-viewed Korean film of all time.

For the rising young actor, playing a villain was a chance to widen the spectrum of his acting career, as he had been typecast as a charming, naive young man in the films "Punch" (2011) and "Tough As Iron" (2013).

Right after finishing "Veteran," Yoo jumped into a similar role: a mentally disturbed young man, this time in a period drama set in the 18th-century Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).

"Sado is not a character that can be classified as a good guy or a bad guy. I think I approached (the role) with sympathy and empathy," Yoo said when asked to explain the difference between the two roles.

He was referring to the posthumous epithet of the famous crown prince who was deposed of by his own father King Yeongjo and later starved to death at age 28 confined in a rice chest.

Yoo exuded the freewheeling but lonely crown prince who loses his mind due to both hatred and longing for his cold father in the film, which focused on the increasingly troubled father-son relationship to find out what exactly caused the tragic end.

Directed by Lee Joon-ki, best known for the 2005 box-office smasher "The King And The Clown," "The Throne" is one of the most highly anticipated Korean films in the second half of the year. It is scheduled to open in local theaters on Wednesday, next week.

"I personally like acting in a tragedy. I think a good actor can radiate alluring and beautiful energy in a tragedy."

Yoo said he is satisfied with his performance in the film. "Actually, in the period drama genre where the style of an actor is not an important factor, it is easy to replace one actor with another. I wanted to portray a Sado of my own in this situation."

He said he also had a strong desire for the role partly because it was the chance of lifetime to play what he thought was the most tragic character ever. The second reason was his father.

"I'm not on good terms with my father. But I realized that I'm not the only person in the world who is at odds with his or her own father," he said, smiling. "I think this film has much say to my father."

AEN20150908008000315_01_i.jpg  

Actor Yoo Ah-in poses for photos during an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Sept. 8, 2015. (Yonhap) Actor Yoo Ah-in poses for photos during an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Sept. 8, 2015. (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

Archived