[Drama 2014] Bad Guys 나쁜 녀석들 (OCN)

Bayu Pratama

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@joccu You're right and like @40somethingahjumma I am also wishing a second season with the same writer, but also that the script is written before filming! Just like the first "season"

^:)^
I hope, the writer/ the director and the CEO from OCN are visiting this forum/thread! ^:)^

Hi! New here but been a lurker since the beginning of the show.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my input on LJM as he's my favorite character but kinda felt a little disappointed by how his character was written as it seems the writer hadn't even looked at what's included in the PCL-R. I get that dramas and TV in general never exactly depict it right but here it feels really off the mark as they gave him a 38. To score 38 you have to have all the characteristics of a psychopath except one or two which are somewhat diminished. Now I'm not an expert and have only read a couple of courses of psychology so there might be some mistakes and feel free to correct me.
For those who don't know PCL-R contains 20 characteristics or statements on which you can get 0,1, or 2 points on where 2 signals it definitely fits on the person in question, and if you get more than 30 points you're defined as a psychopath, though there are exceptions.
1. Superficial charm, now this isn't a show where you bring out your charm a lot but the absolute lacking of it here makes it kinda hard to believe he could get a high score on this point. Though I have to admit he's really hot.
2. Grandiose sense of self-worth, again this isn't something we've seen a lot of signs of,except if you take his silence as deeming them not worthy of receiving an answer from him. The only times is when he's escaping in the beginning and again in 8 and these are dubious. This sort of character is usually very annoying to be with an extensive time.
3. Pathological lying, not much of a liar and definitely not pathological. Does not fit.
4. Manipulative, now this has been shown and there isn't anything else to be said.
5. Lack of remorse and guilt, again he hasn't shown any signs of guilt or remorse.
6. Emotionally shallow, this is the epitome of LJM, though there were instances that made me doubtful. The show explained it as he was taught those feelings during the show, but he should still be unable to actually feel it, just understand how you should react in different situations. But this test was made before so these situation are ignored.
7. Lack of empathy, something that fits but gave doubts during the show, same reason as the one above.
8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions, this one is hard to judge as he never remembered the crimes and so automatically rejects them. Now we never saw how he reacted to the deaths of the burglars, but for him to score on this one he would have denied it in some way.
9. Proneness to boredom, he hasn't shown any signs of boredom during the show, so I can't agree with this point.
10. Parasitic lifestyle, well he was a live-in boyfriend so I guess it counts? Cant' really say much about this point.
11. Lack of realistic, life-term goals, we don't know much about what he wants except find the truth so hard to judge this one.
12. Impulsive, some examples of it exists, for example the escape from the car in episode 10 and the murder of those burglars. Problem is there are a lot of situations where it can be either an impulse or a calculated move. Hard one to be certain on as well.
13. Irresponsible, at certain moments perhaps but not nearly enough to convince me.
14. Poor behavioral controls, well he did go quite overkill on those burglars and tried to kill the girl in episode 1 so I guess this one is a fit.
15. Early behavioral problems, can't judge as we never knew him as a child.
16. Juvenile delinquency, same as above, though if he got full he most likely scored on this one. Quite interesting if you're wondering about his background.
17. Revocation of conditional release, same as above. Again wondering what he did if he scored.
18. Criminal versatility, well murder is on the list, probably fighting as well seeing he can hold his own somewhat. Still not much we know here as well.
19. Many short-term marital relationships, only one that we know of and he seems to actually be serious about her. Still we don't know his entire life.
20. Promiscuous sexual behavior, not that type of show so there isn't any way to know about this.

That was all of them and there isn't a way he could be accounted for an psychopath due to the PCL-R, though that doesn't mean he really isn't one. I know this can be a stupid thing to be annoyed at but I had to get this out. And seeing he was deemed to be a psychopath due to this test and everything that followed because of it so does it feel wrong when they made so many mistakes in his character. Don't get me wrong I love the portrayal by PHJ and I enjoyed the character, but the writer could have done this better. Well he could have had an serious change in personality as we don't have much back-ground, but from the flashbacks I don't think that's possible.
I have to mention some of these points which is about childhood makes it easier to make up your own extra back-story if you're interested in that sort of thing.
Now feel free to correct me and convince me if you deem it wrong as I would really like to believe this part to be correct too.
Sorry for the text wall.
Anyway, fantastic show, great story, actors and twists. I'm really hoping for a second season.

‘Bad Guys’ Kim Tae-Hoon, the last wild card….’
The completion of goose bump ending’

12342_1.jpg
‘Bad Guys’ Kim Tae-Hoon, the last wild card….’The completion of goose bump ending’Kim Tae-Hoon from ‘Bad Guys’ gave performance of the evil, which left goose bumps.
Kim Tae-Hoon, who has played the role of the tenacious prosecutor Oh Jae-Won in the cable channel OCN ‘Bad Guys’, and blew in tension in the drama by showing ambiguity between the ally and enemy, turned out to be the real criminal who incurred the serial murders. In the final episode of ‘Bad Guys’ that was aired on 13th, the reason that Oh Jae-Won (played by Kim Tae-Hoon) became such villain of madness, was revealed. He started kill people, in order to impose the ‘true punishment’, which was defined by himself, to the murderer of his wife.
Kim Tae-Hoon said “it has been ‘Bad Guys’ filmed by good people, including the junior and senior actors, and those in producing team. It was delightful to do filming, and I am happy that such joy became delivered to the viewers. Thank you for watching with interest until the end.”
‘Bad Guys’ is the drama of the story of the bad guys, and the criminal detective, who gathers around those who committed various kinds of crimes, in order to eliminate the even worse evil. It ended broadcast on 13th. INNOLIFE

Guest keemchia

well hello @drophila! :) 
my stuff here: 

i... am actually inclined to agree with you. I do think he's a bit more anti-social personality disorder than full psychopathy (but then again... I'm not a psych expert), but perhaps one who's trying hard to almost try to get himself to be "better", if that's possible - it was mentioned in some interview that the character was written to be a psychopath within society. so I guess those traits that made him a psychopath in that evaluation perhaps got repressed now, but yeah, 38 is a preeeetttty high score, almost unrealistic, really. I think there's only so much the writer can do in a more plot-driven than character driven drama which is this drama, so for that I would say that perhaps more time could have been given to flesh out the characters more. like I honestly think MY's character could have had slightly more depth to it. 

but minor quibbles for perhaps the best straight up thriller/action/crime show of the year? and it's ok to let it out because I ranted loads at ep 9's construction... no show is perfect. I guess it's kinda nice that it's still kind of open, given that OCN is open to having a season 2. I for one would like to see WC's background as well! and TS. and OGT. basically, there's so much fodder for continuing the series, that I'm strangely okay with not having a lot of background for the characters. 
p/s 2 on your list is shown in ep 5, where he's almost treating the case with contempt and taesoo too, it's a little more under the surface. 3...possible he lied about the real circumstances of the attack on the burglars. 9 i think was supposed to be when he's just staring into space maybe. 8 and 13 are when you measure it with "normal" ideas of what responsibility are in human society, then he's pretty irresponsible if he denied or rationalized killing the burglars. 18 if he had juvenile records, i'd believe 15 due to his IQ & personality making it perhaps harder for him to actually adapt usual standards of "normal" behavior. it depends a lot on the standards for normalcy i guess. 

to keep it shorter :) oh, the fanfics you could write about their pasts. 
thank you all for taking part in watching this drama, and for my induction into soompi! :) 

@bebebisous33,@40somethingajjuma.
I'm still a bit confused about Ljm's girlfriend they must have paid her to help frame him because she never witnessed any of the killings herself they just went on her words that he tried to kill her..   I need to re-watch from the beginning to the end with subs ..

This (Bad Boy ) and Reset two very good drama's 

@Drophila Your critic is founded. The only logical answer to that: when LJM passed the test, maybe he was still in a different state of mind since he had just killed those thugs in a brutal way. 
Or another possibility: they simply faked the test...! He couldn't explain how all this had happened and the thugs had been "overkilled" so that no police officer would ask the result for that test. Oh could have paid the psychiatrist. I know, it wasn't written like that.

Oh man... Ep. 9 was so sad. To see a good man go down the slippery slope and hit rock bottom while living in a hades of his own making is just so depressing. But there's no denying that KSJ put in a brilliant performance there.
I think our first instinct that OGT was the baddest and meanest of them all is correct. When a good man wallows in despair and sees no way out, he becomes the most dangerous person of all because he rationalizes and justifies himself using the tools of the devil.
Anger is such a powerful emotion but like fire... a good servant but a terrible master.

Nice to watch a good ending (for now) and again they kind of hinted of a 2nd season. The second season (if there is one) would be about catching the big fish, the person who ordered to kill LJM and the others. I thought it might be the guy inspector Yu was talking to in the end cos he was drinking a cup of tea (I think) like the faceless person who ordered the killings. Anyway I would love a second season.  valsava said: @bebebisous33,@40somethingajjuma.
I'm still a bit confused about Ljm's girlfriend they must have paid her to help frame him because she never witnessed any of the killings herself they just went on her words that he tried to kill her..   I need to re-watch from the beginning to the end with subs ..

valsava said: @bebebisous33,@40somethingajjuma.

Guest keemchia

(this show. I'm still recovering from withdrawal symptoms *sniff*! darksmurfsubs is in the process of translating and subbing this episode... and I'm getting more and more impressed by this writer when I translate) 
fun fact: the boat that they fought on is named Hermes. A Greek god known for cunning, but also for being between transitions and boundaries, being a messenger and many other things. fun fact 2: quoting Leo Tolstoy. which is symbolic for so many reasons. tried to hunt down the exact quotes for the subs haha. 
:) lit and classical references are +1. 

Guest keemchia

@40somethingahjumma, i found them last night while subbing! :D 
JM: Have you heard of this saying? 'To sin is a human business, to justify sins is a devilish business.' OJW: If it's a quote from Tolstoy, then didn't Tolstoy say this as well? "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself"
apparently both are not from Tolstoy's great works, but from some lesser known pamphlets he wrote or recordings. But the fact that they are quoting Tolstoy, known for writing War and Peace, is symbolic in that Tolstoy did explore human nature and evil and what to do about it, and was known for being a little extreme in his views. So I loved that little exchange between these two (or maybe I just love fights based on intelligence haha) - this was just the start of it, it gets even better. 
and I'm also so in awe of the writer as the line given to JM in reply to Doctor Gim was this: "Why? Why did it have to be me?". Such allusions to what caused him to break when he killed the burglars..."Why? Why was it my house?". (loooove it when kdramas go all deep in the writing.) 

A note from the translators at DSS:

Our subs haven't yet gone through our whole process and are still in a kind of rough draft phase.  If you want the best experience, wait a couple more days until I announce that we've completed them.  We feel really strongly that quality matters, so please be patient while we finish up.

New behind cuts of Park Hae Jin from 'Bad Guys' unleashed20141213153842_548bdef2553a7_1.jpg20141213153842_548bdef2553a7_1.jpg
New behind cuts of actor Park Hae Jin from 'Bad Guys' were unleashed.

The last episode of OCN drama 'Bad Guys' aired on December 13th, and prior to the broadcast, the production team released new behind cuts of Park Hae Jin and other actors.

The 10th episode showed Park Hae Jin having a rough physical fight, but the photos show Park Hae Jin having a break time with other actors.

Park Hae Jin is making a big laughter in the photos, indicating the team's great atmosphere, and many fans and netizens are showing great reactions for his charming smile.

It is said that all of the actors showed a fabulous teamwork until the very last shooting. All of them did not leave the scene even after the shooting was done, talking about everything that they have come through.

Last episode showed Park Hae Jin accepting his death, and received a great number of viewers made high compliments for Park Hae Jin's fabulous expressions.

Meanwhile, the last episode of 'Bad Guys' aired on December 13th at 10 PM.
/Reporting by Kim Dong-Joo en@starnnews.com

Archived