[Drama 2014] Bad Guys 나쁜 녀석들 (OCN)

Bayu Pratama

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG where has this drama been all my life!?  :-O I'm SO glad I found out 'bout this show 'cause it IS DA BOMB  \m/ :-bd Jo Dong Hyuk and Park Hae Jin are beyond recognizable in this! It's unlike anythin' I've ever seen them be in any of their other works. I must say they look hot & fitting as "Bad Guys"  /:) This seem to be the Korean version of A-Team IMO. A bunch of misfits forced to work together toward a common cause. I do have my doubts on the plausibility of this show 'cause putting 3 hardcore criminals to solve crime is like ironic LoL. Then you give them a police badge and it's like validating that crime is justified/ good. The ankle monitor reminds me a little of White Collar (my fave show too, Matt Bomer obviously) I'm not too crazy on Detective Gu, for one his bangs annoy the crap out of me :P He gives off CSI Miami Horatio vibes for me LoL! But I get that he's needed in the team to wrangle the guys up and the lady detective is there to balance it (testosterone) out. Overall I'm lovin' it   ;)

• 1 month later...

I left a draft here after watching episode 5 before I fell hopelessly behind and stopped reading the thread to avoid spoilers.  So now I finally caught up, and now I can read, lol.

I guess I'll leave what I wrote about episode 5, even though now I want to write about the ending.  I'll just hide the old stuff.  It was interesting for me to read again what I thought at that point, at least.  I'm sure no one else cares at this point though.

Just finished watching ep 5 today.  I'm glad we're back to a more "realistic" case/criminal.  Episode 4 was good, but it was my least favorite episode so far, and I think it was because it just felt like we were in some weird fantasy version of the show or something.  I'm used to thinking about the criminals they catch as just that: criminals.  But in ep 4, they were going after a villain.  Like, mustache-twirling cartoon villain.  And I think it detracted from my enjoyment somewhat.  That and the case of the missing stab wound at the end of that episode.  I thought his wound was lending nice gravity and urgency to their situation, so it was somewhat off-putting that it just got forgotten immediately like that.  I mean, maybe he was just weak from loss of blood, and the knife didn't hit anything internally, so all they needed to do was stitch him up, hook him up to an IV, and feed him a cookie or something, and he's okay?  I guess that could have happened. :D

Anyway, episode 5 was much better for me.  I think the writers read my last post about being confused about who got their sentence reduced for what case.  So it turns out they've been deciding amongst themselves?  That would explain the lack of animosity, I guess.  I'm glad it seems like they can work it out amicably, haha. 

I think all three of our bad guys got nice moments in this episode.  Tae Soo had a conversation he probably had wanted to have for a very long time with Sun Jung, and more questions were raised about his connection to her husband's death.  Did he kill him?  Was it the guy he's been trying to track down?  And the eternal question: why did he turn himself in?  And how was he connected to Jung Moon back when they were both in prison together?

Jung Moon at the end...Goo Tak asked the question I was asking myself.  Was that speech to the gunman real, or was he acting, in a sense, in order to appeal to the gunman?  If he truly is a psychopath, then the answer is almost certainly the latter.  But...it seemed awfully real.  And honestly, his general behavioral tendencies seem not particularly psychopath-like.  Curiouser and curiouser.

Woong Chul is starting to kind of break my heart.  He just wants to do what's right, and fix things, and always seems to be doing more than what's necessary to catch these criminals.  I wonder how he's going to get out of this "you have to kill Jung Moon" thing though.  (And I know, episode 6 probably answers that question, but I'm waiting for subs to watch.)  I loved his phone call to Tae Soo, and that Tae Soo could intuit that something was going on with him.

And lastly, Goo Tak.  We're not really any closer to finding out why he chose these three, or how he was connected to them before.  But new prosecutor guy seems like he's itching to out Goo Tak (or at least blackmail him a little with the knowledge he has), so maybe we'll get a few more hints soon.  What's that guy's angle anyway? 

So we're about at the halfway point now.  So many questions to answer already, and it seems like more and more with every episode. :)

Anyway, the ending...
I think it's interesting that we started the show with a character blinded by grief and loss and anger to the point of doing pretty shady things to try to get a revenge of sorts (Gu Tak), only to end with a "big bad" who is of the same type, really, but takes it so far that it's pretty unbelievable.  Which made for good dramatic tension and a fun watch, but I felt a little like we lost some of the rawness, the true emotion, of the earlier episodes, when I guess I felt like things were more "real".  Gu Tak's messed up, misguided "revenge" was personal, while prosecutor's was just crazy, even though it might have started from the same place.

I enjoyed that Young Mi chose to trust the team when she was trying to figure out who killed Commissioner Nam.  So true to the message of the story, right?  Interesting that the "bad guys" have more of a sense of justice than the "good guys".  But for some parts of the series, I was feeling a little annoyed by her, not really because she defected, but because I could never really get a read on her.  From her backstory, she was supposed to be super smart and kind of naive and idealistic, but ambitious, right?  Then why did I feel like she was just sort of blank and there sometimes?  Maybe the fault of the writing or the acting, or a little of both.  Either way, the show brought me back around to her by the end, so it's all okay now. :)

Still, I liked it a lot.  I love all our "bad guys".  I was maybe not so invested in Woong Chul's backstory compared to the others, but I still loved him as a character.  Jung Moon really grew on me somehow over the course of the show, even though I already liked him from the beginning.  And Tae Soo can do no wrong in my book.  All good separately, but so so much better when all together, united.  I'm glad the team was back together for the end.

I'm sure I just repeated what everyone else said three months ago, but I wanted to put down my final thoughts on the show.  So...now to read the 18 pages of this thread that I still haven't. :)  And bring on season 2!

Guest Miguk

ecs707a said:
I enjoyed that Young Mi chose to trust the team when she was trying to figure out who killed Commissioner Nam.  So true to the message of the story, right?  Interesting that the "bad guys" have more of a sense of justice than the "good guys".  But for some parts of the series, I was feeling a little annoyed by her, not really because she defected, but because I could never really get a read on her.  From her backstory, she was supposed to be super smart and kind of naive and idealistic, but ambitious, right?  Then why did I feel like she was just sort of blank and there sometimes?  Maybe the fault of the writing or the acting, or a little of both.  Either way, the show brought me back around to her by the end, so it's all okay now. :)

• 3 months later...

Just recently finished this drama. Loved it. I was getting tired of all the romance in dramas and so wanted a break from it. Then decided to watch this and loved it. I am not usually a fan of action but dang I loved that it was 19+. A job well done by all the actors/ess, writer, director and staff. And a special mention of Jo DongHyuk :wub:

Here's to hoping that there is a season 2.

• 1 year later...

Great news!

Bad Guys return to OCN for a Season 2

rsz_bg.jpg

Fellow drama addicts, it is time to celebrate for the drama gods have answered our prayers! OCN is making a Season 2 of the bone-chilling crime-thriller Bad Guys. But wait — that’s not all. The writer-director duo from Police Unit 38 is coming back together to helm this new project. Can I get a hallelujah?

The first season of Bad Guys broke OCN’s previous ratings records, reaching over 4% viewership, which was quite the feat at the time. Starring Park Hae-jin as a psychopathic murder suspect and Kim Sang-joong as a good-detective-turned-black, this drama was all about Machiavellian philosophy. Do ends justify the means?

Three hardened convicted criminals team up with two desperate detectives to solve gruesome crimes and catch the culprits responsible. The writer behind this masterpiece was Han Jung-hoon, whose other projects with OCN, Police Unit 38 and Vampire Prosecutor, have also garnered praise. Writer Han is currently working with MBC’s creative team for its upcoming drama Missing 9, and as soon as it is finished, he will turn to Bad Guys Season 2.

For the new season, Han Jung-hoon will be re-teaming with PD Han Dong-hwa from Police Unit 38, who was the on-set camera director during Bad Guys’ first season. We don’t know yet if any of the actors will be returning, but considering his track record working with Writer Han, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Ma Dong-seok popped in for a cameo.

Season 2 of gritty crime-action drama Bad Guys will air on OCN in the latter half of 2017.

DRAMABEANS

Wau, it would be really great,it's one of my favourites ... I hope for the same cast :) cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

omg...why have i been ignoring this drama on viki?? this was daebak!!! hahah

i've been looking for more crime/investigative drama aside from "signal", "defendant" and "voice" that i'm watching now...and noticed on some forum some people keep mentioning bad guys...then saw the high ratings on viki and decided to just watch ep 1 and 2 and see how i like it..i have no expectation at all since i dont know the cast except one character which is the big guy who i watched from "train to busan" and i couldnt stop watching and ended up finishing the whole 11 eps in a day!!! hahahha

r they gonna make season 2?!!! it has an open ending!!! it looks like they will be solving another serial killer case!!! waaaahhh!! someone tell me if they're still making part 2 of this...i have to know! huhu

• 3 months later...

I know I am 3 years late watching this.....but I am still happy that I watched this! And the casts are superb!

LOL! I finished watching Bad Guys during the weekend and let me tell you... I was glued to my notebook watching episodes after episodes. 

What's thrilling about this drama is not just the actors primarily, but what hooked me the most is the bit twisted storyline compared to any other kdrama that I have watched! And I was flabbergasted when I first watched Ep 1 there was only 11 episodes... to me... What the heck?! so short?! but I continued watching till the end and finally all those questions that popped in my head answered when the show came to an end and my wild guessing was spot on! And, this is a good drama to make into Season 2... and we are going to get SEASON 2!!!! yippeeeeee 

An aside PHJ beign the current craze by kdrama fans with ManToMan ended...I had to find something with him in a drama to satiate my crave for him... but I get another crave from watching Bad Guys. Jo Dong Hyeok! He is my Korean Jason Statham!!! That cold look/eyes and prominent cheekbones and thin lips... and not to mention great abs!!! *fanning mode* PHJ was really cool... that stone cold face really amplified his character in the drama...

Having said those... I hope the original casts would return to the drama and starts filling our nights again with their great chemistry of being bad boys! PHJ would be really busy if he is going to do this...that is if he is being offered... now that he is doing Four Men too and cheese in the trap movie... (errr he's doing that one too right?)

Can't wait for BG2 cominggggggg!!!

@hmseen Sadly we won't be seeing the old gang in Bad Guys 2. :( From what I've gathered, it'll be more of a spin-off than a sequel. Last I heard Kang Ha Neul was being offered a part.

Yeah, I loved JDH in Bad Guys too. I didn't care for him in Brain but he was fantastic in BG. His character's arc probably became my favourite. His backstory about his assassin "family" was gut-wrenching and poignant.

Great cast, wonderful performances and terrific storyline.

One of my favourite K dramas of all time.

9 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@hmseen Sadly we won't be seeing the old gang in Bad Guys 2. :( From what I've gathered, it'll be more of a spin-off than a sequel. Last I heard Kang Ha Neul was being offered a part.

Yeah, I loved JDH in Bad Guys too. I didn't care for him in Brain but he was fantastic in BG. His character's arc probably became my favourite. His backstory about his assassin "family" was gut-wrenching and poignant.

Great cast, wonderful performances and terrific storyline.

One of my favourite K dramas of all time.

Hence the spinoff ya... that will be very sad! I would definitely like to know how they are after OGT being prisoned and how they would all work with LMY being the one who becomes the Lead of the bad boys! And I would also assume that LJM should be cleared of all the charges of serial killing... he should be out by right, yeah? And I want to see JTS/JDH more ... :bawling: can't get enough of him in 11 episodes! 

Voting Bad Boys the best crime thriller action kdrama! :wub:

Not discrediting Kang Ha Neul and I love him too... but his face is a bit soft to carry a badass boy character. But, I guess I am up for a surprise if he took it up... who else you would like to take up those Bad boys roles in season 2 @40somethingahjumma if not the old gang?

8 minutes ago, hmseen said:

Not discrediting Kang Ha Neul and I love him too... but his face is a bit soft to carry a badass boy character. But, I guess I am up for a surprise if he took it up... who else you would like to take up those Bad boys roles in season 2 @40somethingahjumma if not the old gang?

Have you ever seen KHN play a psychopath? He's really good. He was superb in the first couple of episodes of Missing Noir M and as the nice guy turned villain in Moon Lovers. 

That lad can play anything.

11 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Have you ever seen KHN play a psychopath? He's really good. He was superb in the first couple of episodes of Missing Noir M and as the nice guy turned villain in Moon Lovers. 

That lad can play anything.

I have seen Moon Lovers though he is good but not too badass for me. I have not seen Missing Noir M... maybe I will give it a try this weekend then. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

14 hours ago, hmseen said:

I have seen Moon Lovers though he is good but not too badass for me. I have not seen Missing Noir M... maybe I will give it a try this weekend then. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

From what I've heard he won't necessarily be playing a badass guy anyway. Probably a prosecutor? Anyway, nothing's set in concrete.

Missing Noir M is great. In some ways even more gut-wrenching than Bad Guys but the individual cases are really very well-written. It's more like Criminals Minds and Wire in the Blood.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

From what I've heard he won't necessarily be playing a badass guy anyway. Probably a prosecutor? Anyway, nothing's set in concrete.

Missing Noir M is great. In some ways even more gut-wrenching than Bad Guys but the individual cases are really very well-written. It's more like Criminals Minds and Wire in the Blood.

@40somethingahjumma and. @hmseen   I agree, I loved Missing Noir too. It was much darker than Bad Guys. Each case was awesome and wished there was a part 2 to Missing Noir. 

• 1 month later...

I can't believe this thread only got 38 page when it is such a GOOD DRAMA. If you are looking for a good drama with action and thrills this is the drama for you. I just got done watching this drama yesterday and I love it. I like everything about this drama. Everyone did a good job. Park Hae Jin has finally made my list of one of the best Korean actors. His psychopath character he plays in this drama was superb. I love how he can you the killer look and make your whole body shiver in fear. I read on here how there is or there might be a season 2 of Bad Guys. I hope so because seeing these gentlemen in action is worth my time. 

Archived