[Movie 2014] Kundo: Age of the Rampant 군도:민란의 시대

czakhareina

Watch out! They 'steal' scenes, your heart
By Park Si-soo | April 1, 2014 | Korea Times

They are neither protagonists nor directors. A few even have “critical flaws” in their looks: a beer belly, poor teeth or just plain ugly.
Without them, however, it’s doubtful how many Korean TV dramas or films were or will be able to meet viewers’ ever increasing expectations.
They are collectively called “scene stealers,” a cinematic term referring to a supporting performer in a dram, film or play, who by impressive acting draws most of the audience’s attention, often away from the leading performers.
Perhaps, no one would raise objections to claim Shin Sung-rok was a scene stealer in the hit drama “My Love From the Star.”
He stole the heart of numerous viewers for his striking handsomeness, which later was constantly compared to a dog emoticon on Korea’s messenger service Kakao talk. But his villain role gave the drama a new dimension by constantly threatening the fragile romance of its two leading actors, Kim Soo-hyun and Jun Ji-hyun.
“I think nobody could play this role better than Shin,” Kim Shin-young, a fan of the drama said. “His low and thick voice perfectly matched scenes of him talking eerily stone-faced.
Last week, Shin appeared on a popular talk show “Taxi” and revealed he initially refused to take the role.
“It was the first role I was asked to take after fulfilling the military duty,” he said. “I wanted to return to the small screen with a positive role, so I turned down the offer. Later I was told that my fellow actor Park Hae-jin took the offer. Surprisingly, the offer came to me again only two weeks before the airing of the drama’s first episode. I took it and appeared from the fourth episode. I think I was very lucky.”
'Learn from mistakes'
Other actors recognized as scene stealers recently include Ma Dong-suk, Oh Dal-su, Go Chang-suk, Kim Jung-tae, Sung Dong-il, Yu Hae-jin, Cho Sung-ah, Kwak Do-won and Song Sae-byeok.

Critics say behind their stable and impressive acting are years of experience in numerous plays or musicals. Most of them are in their 40s.
“Actors learn from mistakes. Many veteran supporting actors, called scene stealers, normally have experience of more than 10 years,” said Kim Hwan-young, a culture critic. “Leading roles tend to be reserved for handsome/pretty young stars to catch people’s attention, while supporting roles are given to experienced actors because they are necessary to keep a story going forward smoothly.”
Oh Dal-su earned fame with the award-winning 2003 mystery thriller “Old Boy,” in which he portrayed a cold-hearted manager of an illegal private detention center at which he brutally tortures the protagonist played by Choi Min-sik. He has appeared in more than 60 films, many of which including “The Attorney” (2013), “Miracle in Cell No.7” (2012), and “The Thieves” (2012) were smash hits at the domestic box office. Simply put, his presence means half of the success of a movie.
“I trust my feeling,” he was quoted as saying in an interview in January last year. “After reading some pages of the ‘Miracle in Cell No.7’ script, I felt I should take this.” Oh is a high school graduate and has no experience of receiving acting education at school, but he polished up his acting skills by appearing in numerous plays in the ‘90s. “I just like acting,” he said.
Ma Dong-suk won the “Scene Stealer Prize” at the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival last year.
In 2013 alone, he acted in eight films. His roles varied ranging from a weak-minded soldier to an aggressive journalist, a terminally ill patient, and an airport staffer.
“He is one of a handful of creditable actors,” Kim said. “He played various roles last year, but never let down his fans and other viewers, which means no matter what kind of role he assumes, people can comfortably watch his acting. That’s a great advantage.”
News reports have it that Ma has received a flurry of calls from film directors from the beginning of the year, indicating that he will be as prolific as last year.
His first film for this year is “Kundo: Age of the Rampant” that will be released in July. The film is led by two young heartthrob actors Kang Dong-won and Ha Jung-woo with Ma playing a supporting role named “Chunbo.”
Challengers
Here are up and coming actors who are pushing themselves hard to seize the covetous title.
Actress Yoo In-young recently grabbed public attention for her impressive acting as the armed guard of a politically ambitious princess, played by actress Ha Ji-won, in MBC TV’s epic drama “Gi-hwang-woo.”
Actor Song Jae-rim has joined the competition. Making his name known to the public in 2012 through the MBC TV drama “The Moon Embracing the Sun,” he acts in KBS TV’s ongoing weekday drama as a warmhearted ruler of a criminal syndicate in China’s Dandong area.
Middle-aged actress Huh Jin, who was popular in the 1970s, partially restored her past glory with a supporting role in the SBS TV drama “A Woman Who Marries Three Times,” which ended on Sunday
pss@koreatimes.co.kr | Korea Times

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="entry-title" style="font-family: Oswald, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, NanumGothic, 나눔고딕, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 28px; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 14px 0px 0px; padding: 19px 12px; direction: ltr; color: rgb(240, 173, 29); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; letter-spacing: 0.4px;"Blockbuster History Films2014 Blockbuster period action films will be released soon. The well-produced, big-scale blockbusters will go hugely popular with big-name movie stars and splendid action scenes.
It usually costs more to shoot period films as they have to make everything from small materials to clothes to studios on their own. But they’re worth spending large amounts money on the production of period movies as they have a lot of potentials to be loved by many people. Let’s learn more about the 4 period films that will be released soon.

‘The Fatal Encounter’ starring Hyun Bin, Jeang Jae-young, Jo Jung-suk and Han Ji-min
‘The Fatal Encounter’ depicts episodes happening within 24 hours for the assassination of the King Jeongjo. The movie is the story of those who want to survive and others who help them survive and those who have to must kill them and their fates and histories.
The motif of the movie is the most mysterious and cruelest murderer case in Joseon’s history, ‘정유역변’. It is one of the most anticipated movies of 2014. The cast is splendid. King Jeongjo is played by Hyun Bin, Jung Jae-young and Jo Jung-suk play assassins, Jo Jae-hyun plays Gwang-back. Han Ji-min is Queen Jeongsun and Kim Sung-ryung plays Lady Hyegyeong. Park Sung-woong plays Hong Guk-yeong and Jung Eun-chae plays Wol-hye, a court lady. Director Lee Jae-gyu has directed well-made TV dramas such as ‘Damo’, ‘Beethoven Virus’ and ‘The king 2 Hearts’. The movie will be released on April 30th.

Period adventure film ‘Pirates’ starring Kim Nam-gil, Son Ye-jin and Sulli
Ocean-adventure blockbuster ‘Pirates’ is a story set in the early Joseon Dynasty. Bandit Jang Sa-jeong(Kim Nam-gil) is on a mission to hunt down a whale that swallowed Joseon’s royal seal and goes to sea with female pirate ‘Yeo-wol(Son Ye-jin)’ 15 days before the establishment of Joseon.
The cast include big-name movie stars like Kim Nam-gil, Son Ye-jin, Yu Hae-jin, Sulli, Lee Gyeung-young and Oh Dal-su. A lot of money was invested into the production of the movie. For example, two 32 meter pirate ships and one ship were built for this movie. The ships boast the huge sizes and elaborate designs that will help to make the scenes of changeable oceans more vivid.  The movie will be released in the summer of 2014.

%EA%B5%B0%EB%8F%84.jpg
‘Kundo: Age of the Rampant’ starring ha Jeong-woo and Kang Dong-won
The plot of the movie is set in the late 19th century in Joseon. The movie is about fights between a band of fighters named Kundo that steal money and possessions from the aristocracy of the country. Ha Jung-woo plays ‘Dolmuchi’ and Kang Dong-won plays ‘Jo-yoon’.
There are not many details revealed about the movie but it is one of the most anticipated movies for 2014. The director of the movie is Yoon Jong-bin who was praised for the movie he directed ‘Nameless Ganster: Rules of the Time’ in 2012. It will be released in July 2014.
Other history movies like ‘Roaring Currents’ and ‘Memories of the Sword’ will also join the blockbusters, sweeping the country with period films.

Written by Han Jihee, Photo by LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT and Showbox, Translated by Lee Sarah | Get It K

@oceanluv @orion
thanks so much for posting the updates here. been hungry for updates of this movie... and oh-my-goodness Ha Jung Woo looks so awesome. He really is like a Chameleon!!!DongWon looks so handsome!!!Hope they release more still of the rest of the cast like Lee Sung Min, Kim Sung Hyun, Kim Dong Seok, Jang manshik, Cho Jin Woong and etc!
So Looking forward for May 7!!!!

czakhareina said: @oceanluv @orion
thanks so much for posting the updates here. been hungry for updates of this movie... and oh-my-goodness Ha Jung Woo looks so awesome. He really is like a Chameleon!!!DongWon looks so handsome!!!Hope they release more still of the rest of the cast like Lee Sung Min, Kim Sung Hyun, Kim Dong Seok, Jang manshik, Cho Jin Woong and etc!

Orion said: czakhareina said: @oceanluv @orion

Guest AnJilaah

Trailer is out! :) Movie will be on theaters starting July 23, 2014
http://youtu.be/bRC12n6X1j8

Source: Thirtytoes
Some screenshots of the trailer
201405071216129610_1.jpg

and additional movie posters
63297838.3.jpg

Cr: Nate

Guest retsuno

I may be biased, but I keep replaying the trailer, especially KDW's part :D
I really like when he's playing with his sword, though it's short but it looks beautiful :x (reminded me with his sword scene in Duelist)
Not forget to add that HJW also looks awesome & badass in this trailer.
Wish it could be much longer though :(

Get Out Your Cleavers And Start Chopping With KUNDO: AGE OF THE RAMPANT Trailer
Todd Brown, Founder and Editor | TwitchFIlm | May 8 2014Kundo-Age-of-the-Rampant-1-717x1024-thum
Rampant what, exactly, you may ask of the title for Yoon Jong-bin's upcoming Korean action film. Luckily the first teaser for the historical action epic is here to provide some possible answers. It could be rampant swords, for example. Or rampant cleavers. Or rampant angry bald headed men. Rampant arrows, perhaps. Rampant bamboo. But most likely rampant stabbings. That's the one I go for.

"Kundo: Age of the Rampant" releases posters

20140508001412238_1.jpg

Upcoming action film "Kundo: Age of the Rampant" released the movie character posters.

On May 7, "Kundo" revealed the first teaser video and 10 character posters of Ha Jung-woo, Kang Dong-won and others who appear in the movie.

Starring Ha Jung-woo, Kang Dong-won, Jung Man-shik, Kim Sung-kyun, Lee Kyung-young and Ma Dong-suk, "Kundo: Age of the Rampant" is an action movie about the fight between Chosun's corrupted officers and righteous outlaws.

The movie is set to premiere on July 23. 

issue@asiatoday.co.kr {ⓒ GLOBAL ASIATODAY (asiatoday.co.kr)} May. 9 2014

Ha Jung-woo’s band of outlaws runs rampantby girlfriday | May 8, 2014 Kundo1.jpg
Is it finally actually time for a peek at this movie? Here’s the first teaser for Ha Jung-wooand Kang Dong-won’s new action sageuk Kundo: Age of the Rampant (I’ve been calling it Band of Thieves, which is what kundo means). The character posters for the ensemble cast are fantastically pretty, but the thing I’m fixated on is… Ha Jung-woo makes the best stank face I have ever seen.

read full: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/05/ha-jung-woos-band-of-outlaws-runs-rampant/

Added first trailer and character posters for the Korean movie 'KUNDO : Age of the Rampant'

photo433190.jpg
Added first trailer and character posters for the upcoming Korean movie "KUNDO : Age of the Rampant"

"KUNDO : Age of the Rampant" (2013)
Directed by Yoon Jong-bin
With Ha Jeong-woo, Kang Dong-won, Lee Kyeong-yeong, Ma Dong-seok, Jo Jin-woong, Jeong Man-sik,...
Formerly known as "Band of Thieves" on HanCinemaSynopsisThe year is 1859, feudal loseon is plagued with numerous natural disasters, poor harvest, poverty. hunger and death. But the rich nobles are only concerned with their own wealth and continue to exploit and persecute the poor. In this dark period, KUNDO was a single shred of hope for the poor, an entity which can be the subject of fear to unjust nobles. After killing poor butcher Dolmuchi's mother and sister, millionaire Jo-yoon commands absolute power over him. Clouded by vengeance, Dolmuchi is accepted as a member of KUNDO. and unsheathes his sword for the weak.
Release date in Korea : 2014/07/23
Credit Hancinema | May 7 2014

Ha Jeong-woo and Kang Dong-won shine in "KUNDO : Age of the Rampant"

photo433521.jpg
The teaser for "KUNDO : Age of the Rampant" has been revealed.
Ha Jeong-woo and Kang Dong-won's action scenes are eye catching.

"KUNDO : Age of the Rampant" is about a gang of thieves who decide to stand on the people's side when corrupt officials are at the climax of exploitation. This film is all about the people's point of view, unlike the usual struggling of hierarchy.
Ha Jeong-woo takes on the role of Dol Mu-chi who is adept with a sword. Kang Dong-won battles withHa Jeong-woo as Jo Yoon, who has no match to ever fight him in the entire Joseon.
Other casts include Lee Sung-min, Jo Jin-woong, Ma Dong-seok, Yoon Ji-hye, Jeong Man-sik, Kim Seong-gyoon, Lee Kyeong-yeong and others.
Netizens say, "I can't wait", "How can I wait until July?", "This is exciting" and more.
Source: Nate NewsCredit HancinemaMay 7 2013

Movie ‘KUNDO’ finalized to be released on July 23rd

Korean blockbuster action movie ‘KUNDO: Age of the Rampant’ finalized its release on July 23rd and presented the movie character posters.

With the news of releasing on July, ‘KUNDO’ eventually revealed the first teaser video and 12 character posters who appear in the movie.

Movie ‘KUNDO’ is a action movie that talks about the fight between Chosun’s corrupted officials and righteous outlaws. It features lots of talented actors such as Ha Jung-woo, Kang Dong-won, Lee Sung-min, and more.

Looking at the posters, there are 10 characters who each have different backgrounds. Besides all of them, the two main characters, Ha Jung-woo and Kang Dong-won, have huge difference. Ha Jung-woo is the outlaw who uses two swords while Kang Dong-won is the official using long sword.

Meanwhile the news of ‘KUNDO’ being released led to huge reaction to people. They responded “I’ve been waiting for this so long!” “Historical actor casting…Fantastic” and “100% sure to watch this when released.”

credit Kofan | May 7 2014

Archived