[Movie 2014] Kundo: Age of the Rampant 군도:민란의 시대

czakhareina

'Gundo' the long sword specially designed for the extraordinary body type of Kang Dong-Won

9660_1.jpg
'Gundo' the long sword specially designed for the extraordinary body type of Kang Dong-Won
The movie 'Gundo', which is to get premiered on coming July, released the steal-cut that conveys Kang Dong-Won's sharp look in his eyes. It is the image of Kang Dong-Won wielding the long sword that has been designed more lengthily than the average, apt to Kang Dong-Won's body shape.

'Gundo' is the movie that Yoon Jong-Bin director and the actors Kang Dong-Won and Ha Jeong-Woo cooperated on, thus gaining expectation. It is the action movie of the Robin Hood figures turns upside down the world which the empowered ones dominate, to the great satisfaction to the weak ones, during the late Chosun era. In the movie, Kang Dong-Wan gives performance as 'Jo Yoon', the child of the concubine and the master Jo, who is the icon of the corrupted official and the magnate.

It is all Kang Dong-Won's role not only to execute one-to-one action and the profound emotional performance, but also to perform high-level action against the group. The producing team specially designed the long sword, so that it would be well-matched to Kang Dong-Won whose feature is the long and flexible and graceful body movement.

In the revealed steal-cut, Kang Dong-Won is holding the sword highly, as if he is about to strike, and is scarily glaring at the enemy behind his back. It foreshadows the dimensional character who has both capacity and grudge, which makes him into an evil. As such, Kang Dong-Won's various charms that haven't been yet witnessed, are looked forward to. [사진= 쇼박스 미디어플렉스]

credit Innolife | May 23 2014

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ymenasThanks for info and updates!!!I am so excited for this drama...Ha jeong is definitely badass but man Kang Dongwon looks so exquisitely lethal!!!additionally all the cast is my mave from one time or another... and I am so glad to have Lee Sung Min and Kim Sung Kyun ins this film!!!

czakhareina said: @ymenasThanks for info and updates!!!I am so excited for this drama...Ha jeong is definitely badass but man Kang Dongwon looks so exquisitely lethal!!!additionally all the cast is my mave from one time or another... and I am so glad to have Lee Sung Min and Kim Sung Kyun ins this film!!!

Added new stills and character trailer for the Korean movie 'KUNDO : Age of the Rampant'

photo440686.jpg
"KUNDO : Age of the Rampant" (2013)
Directed by Yoon Jong-bin
With Ha Jeong-woo, Kang Dong-won, Lee Kyeong-yeong, Ma Dong-seok, Jo Jin-woong, Jeong Man-sik,...
Formerly known as "Band of Thieves" on HanCinemaSynopsisThe year is 1859, feudal loseon is plagued with numerous natural disasters, poor harvest, poverty. hunger and death. But the rich nobles are only concerned with their own wealth and continue to exploit and persecute the poor. In this dark period, KUNDO was a single shred of hope for the poor, an entity which can be the subject of fear to unjust nobles. After killing poor butcher Dolmuchi's mother and sister, millionaire Jo-yoon commands absolute power over him. Clouded by vengeance, Dolmuchi is accepted as a member of KUNDO. and unsheathes his sword for the weak.
Release date in Korea : 2014/07/23photo440685.jpg
photo440684.jpg
photo440683.jpg

credit Hancinema | May 29 2014

class="entry-title" style="font-size: 36px; margin: 0px 0px 10px; font-family: Bitter, serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Joseon Dynasty through filmThe Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) ruled over Korea for more than 500 years. The lives and times of the 27 monarchs are some of the most widely used material in Korean film. In 2014 alone, a couple of films set with the royal dynasty as background will be released. Earlier this year, theaters saw the release of “The Fatal Encounter,” a film which deals with the times of King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800). Two more films are set to be released later this year. They are “Sado: Memory of Eight Days,” which revolves around King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776), grandfather to Jeongjo, and “Group of Robbers,” which focuses on King Cheoljong (r. 1849-1863).
140605_joseon_movie_1.jpg
“The Fatal Encounter” pivots around a conspiracy and an attempt at reform in the palace during the reign of King Jeongjo, the 22nd ruler of Joseon.
(photo courtesy of All That Cinema)

King Jeongjo (1752-1800), the protagonist of “The Fatal Encounter,” was a strong monarch. He has often been compared to Louis XIV of France, widely known as “The Sun King.” Defining himself as the Man-cheon-myeong-wol-ju-in-ong (萬川明月主人翁), or, “Master of Ten Thousand Rivers and the Moon,” meaning that he can shed light on all creatures, King Jeongjo believed that all were equal under the king. This was reflected in his willingness to communicate and listen. He was always willing to have a conversation with the public.

King Jeonjo made it a lifelong habit to read and publish. Though he passed away before the age of 50, he made many brilliant achievements. One of his achievements was writing the Hongjaejeonseo (弘齋全書), 100 volumes of his daily poetry and prose. Also, the Suwon Hwaseong (水原 華城) fortress, with its mixture of both Asian and European military defensive characteristics, was constructed under his rule. Thanks to its registration on the UNESCO World Heritage list, the castle remains the same as it was 200 years ago. In addition, the publication of the Hwaseong Seongyeok Uigwe (華城城役儀軌), or, “A Completion Report on the Building of the Hwaseong Fortress,” was also added to the UNESCO Memory of the World Register. It is the lengthy record of the fortification’s construction, from beginning to end, a laborious work that reveals the king’s governing philosophy.

Under the reign of King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800), there was a sharp conflict between the king and his pro-reformers on the one hand and the bureaucrats on the other, who were against reform and wanted to maintain their privileges. The conflict resulted in a number of incidents between the sly old politicians, with their years and years of experience, and the young king, who overcame many hardships and managed to ascend to the throne. The historical records about King Jeongjo are brought to life on movie screens today.

The film “Sado: Memory of Eight Days” sheds some light on Crown Prince Sado (1735-1762), condemned to death by his father King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776). Known for being clever and nimble ever since his early childhood years, the successor to the throne showed outstanding talent during his time as regent, but ended up being executed as he got involved in a conflict. His tragic life has often been pictured in a variety of genres, including literature, movies and soap operas.

There’s something more from the age of King Cheoljong (r. 1849-1863), which was dominated by the military. It was a time characterized by conflict, as at this time Western countries began knocking on Joseon’s door, a conservative nation hoping to remain as the “hermit kingdom.” It was also a time during which the nation fell into poverty due to a growing population that was unable to be economically productive. Naturally, the public’s resentment of the rich and the government was higher than at any other time in Korean history.

140605_joseon_movie_2.jpg
“Group of Robbers” is set in the middle of 19th-century Joseon. It depicts the lives of the common people as they resist oppressive power and unjust authority. 

(photo courtesy of Showbox Mediaplex)

The movie “Group of Robbers” is set in the 13th year of King Cheoljong’s reign, 1862, when rampant corruption among the upper classes and government officials reached its peak. The Robin Hood-like story pivots around a group of bandits who lived on the slopes of Jirisan Mountain and who pursued righteousness and justice, fighting for the poor, helpless people.

As seen with the two films above, movies set during the Joseon Dynasty are released again and again. What could be the reason?

First of all, the Joseon Dynasty has 518 years of history and, subsequently, an abundant range of stories related to the period. In particular, the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty, a daily record of national affairs, is the source of many such stories, handed down over the generations. It depicts the daily royal details of more than 500 years of history, including every single movement of the king, trivial incidents that occurred across the country and even natural phenomena. The massive amount of historical records must be attractive source material for a number of directors.

Second, Joseon society was extremely hierarchical. People were classified as either ruling yangban, the aristocrats, as pyeongmin, the middle class, or as nobi, the slaves. There was strict classification, with stringent discrimination between the strata. Conflicts between them were unavoidable. The resistance of the middle classes and slaves against the aristocrats could often be observed. Social movements developed huge power, laying the ground work for the modernization of the nation.

The Joseon Dynasty, existent for half a millennium before the birth of the Republic of Korea, must have been different from the 21st century. However, the problems people had to endure do not show any particularly differences. It was a period of contemplation and deliberation, as the nation sought prosperity, stability and the well-being of the people.

The treasured experiences of previous generations are reenacted and brought life through movies, touching the modern viewer’s heart and giving lessons to the people of today.

※ Movies set during the Joseon Dynasty and their related monarch

Face Reader (King Munjong, r. 1450-1452)
King and the Clown (King Yeonsangun, r. 1494-1506)
Jeon Woo Chi: Taoist Wizard (King Jungjong, r. 1506-1544)
Hwangjini (King Jungjong, r. 1506-1544)
Blades of Blood (King Seonjo, r. 1567-1608)
Masquerade (King Gwanghaegun, 1608-1623)
War of the Arrows (King Injo, r. 1623-1649)
The Servant (King Sukjong, r. 1674-1720)
The Accidental Gangster (King Gyeongjong, r. 1720-1724)
Sado: Memory of Eight Days (King Yeongjo, r. 1724-1776)
The Eternal Empire (King Jeongjo, r. 1776-1800)
Untold Scandal (King Jeongjo, r. 1776-1800)
Portrait of a Beauty (King Jeongjo, r. 1776-1800)
The Fatal Encounter (King Jeongjo, r. 1776-1800)
Group of Robbers (King Cheoljong, r. 1849-1863)
The Sword with No Name (King Gojong, 1863-1907)
Gabi (King Gojong, r. 1863-1907)

140605_joseon_movie_4.jpg

140605_joseon_movie_3.jpg

By Wi Tack-whan, Lee Seung-ah | Korea.net | June 5 2014

class="entry-title"[spot] Ha Jeong-woo VS Kang Dong-won for ‘Kundo: Age of the Rampant’Posted by: psr project , June 10, 2014

The press release for new movie <Kundo: Age of the Rampant> was held at Megabox in Samsung-dong Gangnam District, Seoul on June 10th with the participation of director Yoon Jong-bin and cast members including Ha Jeong-woo, Kang Dong-won, Lee Sung-min, Jo Jing-woong, Ma Dong-seok, Yoon Ji-hye, Jung Man-sik, Kim Sung-gyun and Kim Jae-young.

<Kundo: Age of the Rampant> is a action movie set in the late Joseon dynasty about righteous thieves who fight against corrupt officials.

The focus was on Ha Jeon-woo and Kang Dong-won who play the leading roles for the new movie.

Ha Joeng-woo shows skinhead hair style in the movie. He said, “My hair is much longer now. I had to shave my head every day at the filming studio.”

It is Ha Jeong-woo’s 4th time to film a movie with director Yoon Jong-bin. Ha Jeong-woo said, “Even if we are personally very close, I enjoy working with the director. That is why I accepted to play the role. And my character was one of the reasons why I chose this movie.”

Kang Dong-won plays Jo-yoon, ‘a bad character with a kind face’

Kang Dong-won comes back with <Kundo: Age of the Rampant> after 4 years since he was discharged from the army. He said, “We did not have the script when I first met with the director. I thought it would be fun”, showing confidence about Yoon Jong-bin.

Kang Dong-won played an evil police detective and showed powerful action using a sword in movie <Duelist>. He said, “I played a passive character for <Duelist>. But Jo-yoon is a character who takes advantage of the public without feeling guilty. If I acted as elegantly as possible for <Duelist>, I play a completely different character for the new movie.”

Kang Dong-won said, “It was not easy to shoot a movie in a while. I finally felt I might be able to do something for the first time since I debuted 10 years ago. Ha Jeong-woo was really funny and made everybody at the shooting studios.” When Kim Je-dong made a joke, saying “Ha Jeon-woo is well portrayed as a great man”, Han Jeong-woo said, “I think I was being able to be funny because I was surrounded by close people. Kang Dong-won and I exchanged jokes as we understood each other.”

Although it sounds fun to shoot the movie all together, there were some hardships. Ha Jeong-woo said, “It was difficult to have fake beard in hot summer. Other people might have thought I was having a bad day.” Kang Dong-won said he also had a hard time wearing Beoseon, thick Korean socks.

Ha Jeong-woo plays ‘Do-chi’ and shows action using two swords.

Han Jeong-woo also said, I had to undergo counseling treatment 6 months before the beginning of shooting since I had fell off a horse while filming a history movie. He said, “The hardest parts of this movie are the beard and the horse.”

The two main actors talked about each other. Ha Jeong-woo said, “Kang Dong-won works really well in front of the camera. But he is more passionate behind-the-scenes. He is even more attractive than I thought he would be. I think he is the manliest man in this room.” Kang Dong-won said, “I was surprised to see him act freely in the studios. He always leads me in the right direction. I was really happy to meet him.”

Ha Jeong-woo also said, “<Kundo: Age of the Rampant> is a movie, with which you can forget about the irritating and sad events. Kang Dong-won said, “We did our best. I think many people would like our new movie.”

Source: GET IT K

Choi Min-sik to portray legendary Joseon admiral

ak1_zpsbff9182c.jpg
By Jason Bechervaise

The summer months are particularly busy periods for cinema chains providing an escape from the irrepressible heat.

Last year, the first weekend of August (2 to 4) ­ the busiest weekend the Korean box office of 2013 ­ Bong Joon ho's eagerly awaited "Snowpiercer" along with "A Terror Live" starring Ha Jung-woo both attracted over 3.4 million people in just three days pushing the local market share to a whopping 80%.

During the early summer months and spring season, however, it's normally Hollywood blockbusters that tend to dominate as illustrated by current box office hit "X-Men: Days of Future Past" that has already attracted almost 4 million viewers, and "Edge of Tomorrow" starring Tom Cruise is set to continue to perform well after opening strongly this past weekend.

Looking ahead, one of the most anticipated films of the year for local viewers is Michael Bay's "Transformers: Age of Extinction," which hits local cinemas on June 25 that is to set to reaffirm Hollywood's dominance in the early summer period.

ak2_zps1dd24646.jpgChoi Min-sik and Ryoo Seung-ryong lead cast in Roaring Currents, a historical epic based on famous naval battle in 1597.

As seen with the previous installments of the Transformers franchise together with the popularity of Iron Man, the local appetite for films featuring technology and more specifically robots has led, at least in part, to substantial box office returns. "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," for example, still holds the record for the biggest opening weekend in Korean box office history amassing over 2.3 million admissions in just three days in July 2011.

Bay's latest film, which is essentially a reboot of sorts featuring an entirely new cast including Mark Wahlberg that is set to kick start a new trilogy takes place four years after the conclusion of Transformers: Dark of the Moon where the government wants to wipe out the transformers.

Looking further ahead to July and August where Korean films tend to take center stage; the local annual horror season kicks off on July 3 with "Mourning Grave" directed by Oh In-chun, and featuring rising stars Kang Ha-neul and Kim So-eun. The film is about a student who can see ghosts and moves back to his hometown only to find his classmates being attacked one by one by a masked girl.

Equally noteworthy is noir film "The Divine Move" directed by action filmmaker Jo Bum-gu ("Quick" (2011)) and is about a professional Go/baduk (A traditional Korean board game) player framed for the murder of his own brother also going on release on July 3 starring Jung Woo-sung who will hope to repeat the success of "Cold Eyes," which was an early hit he starred in last summer.

ak3_zpse155c9a6.jpg"Kundo: Age of the Rampant" stars local box office draw Ha Jung-woo along with Kang Dong-won who returns to the big screen following his mandatory military service discharge in 2012. / Courtesy of Jason Bechervaise

But, much like previous years, it's towards the end of July where the local industry begins to flex its muscles with the release of "Kundo: Age of the Rampant" on July 23, which is a Korean-take on the Robin Hood narrative where outlaws in the late Joseon Kingdom steal from corrupt officials to give to those in poverty.

Directed by the talented Yoon Jong-bin ("Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time," 2012) and starring Ha Jung-woo who has starred in all Yoon's feature films, it also features Kang Dong-won and is expected to be one of the most popular films of the year.

Then at the end of July, "Roaring Currents" depicting the Battle of Myeongnyang in 1597 where Admiral Yi Sun-shin led a fleet of 12 ships that defeated the Japanese navy with over 300 vessels is due to hits screens on July 30.

Starring Choi Min-sik ("Oldboy," 2003) as the admiral and popular actor Ryoo Seung-ryong ("Miracle in Cell No. 7," 2013) playing the Japanese admiral, and Kim Han-min who helmed the box office hit "War of The Arrows" (2011) directing the feature, it's set to attract local viewers, especially older males, but the tragic Sewol ferry disaster has meant that the film's studio CJ Entertainment who are distributing the film, will inevitably be extra-sensitive when promoting and releasing it film due to the naval premise.

This is equally relevant for two other films that are also to be released this summer, including the 15 billion won budgeted "The Pirates" starring Son Ye-jin that is set in the Joseon Kingdom and is about a group led by a female pirate seeking a royal seal that has been swallowed by a whale.

In addition "Sea Fog" produced and co-written by renowned director Bong Joon ho and starring Kim Yoon-seok, which tells the true story of 25 Korean­Chinese illegal immigrants who suffocated to death in a storage tank on board a fishing vessel, will also face similar challenges when released in August. However, providing it's handled sensitively and appropriately, given director Bong's involvement, the film directed by Shim Sung-bo who also worked with Bong on his acclaimed hit "Memories of Murder" (2003) as a co-writer could prove to be one of this year's most accomplished features.

While, much like recent years, these local big-budget films are looking to dominate the peak-summer period, Hollywood, as ever, continues to pose a challenge with the release of "Dawn of the Planet of The Apes" along with the Dreamworks animation "How to Train Your Dragon 2" and Marvel's "Guardians of The Galaxy" that are also out in Korean cinemas in July.

Source: Koreatimes  

Archived