[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

chrissydiva said: Do secondary empresses not get a coronation ceremony or the Emperor just go "You are the secondary empress" in private and that's it? Maybe that coronation is just her being the second empress after Bayan's niece? I don't know since one of the articles states that Lim Joo Eun is going to be there for the rest of the show aka taking over BJH's spot.

@pegster - glad I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

Regarding the coronation, I don't think she is Empress yet. Based on my guess, before the pregnancy SN was likely just a Special Lady, then she was promoted to Imperial Concubine and now with the birth, to a Consort.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The real TH did have another Empress after TN. Just like in the drama the real TH was very in love with his Goryeo consort and wanted to make her Empress. The other nobles were not having any of that, considering how they felt then Consort Ki had too much control over the Emperor. There are accounts that mystics gave warning that her aura was too powerful and thus disrupting the natural order/balance and the natural disasters plaguing he country were her fault.

TH fought for her to be made Empress, but instead BG's niece got the post instead. Luckily for them, this new empress was kind and understood that her husband had another love, and for all intents and purposes the real SN was the Empress. After the death of the Empress, TH then promoted her to Empress Ki, despite the anger of the other nobles. By then TalTal was the administrator after deposing of his uncle.

If they are saying the new empress will be on for the rest of the show, I wonder if they are planning on ending the drama with the coronation?

Guest adjani1430293095

From what I do know, whether they have coronation depends on the power of the emperor and well the politics of the day. 
The fact that SY was not promoted to being empress is not a surprise, considering her birth. Very rarely are empresses deposed except for serious wrong doing and/or purges. Since the position of empress is oft a political decision, meaning she was from a powerful clan or arranged to be such, it is rare that those of low birth or lack connections rise to the top.. notable examples would be like Empress Wu, 
So having an empress like TN was more the norm. Now the emperor can have his favorite and loves, example in SY's case. They can even be made the most favoured consorts and co manage the inner palace or be the real power despite not having the empress title. There are also instances where there are 2 empresses, one based on political and the other based on affection or rise to influence. 
I think in the dramas, the coronation is merely for dramatic viewing purposes :) less likely to be in accordance to history, more of what works to capture audience eye balls (and fit into budgets!) 

Guest ravendark

cathyma said: tieuyeunu said:

I'm a bit confused as to why people think SN is kind? I never found her kind to start with so her actions had always been in character for me.

From the start, she was named a local hoodlum, her crew was raised by her to move salt and save sold women, but this is more likely to do with her own experiences and hatred for unfairness then kindness.

Her treatment of the maids stemmed from their caring for her in her pregnancy and helping Lady Park was because she helped her.

From my memory, SN has never done any thing out of pure kindness. Someone care to remind me?

Guest ravendark

hell59 said: I am so confused. I just read on Soompi that they are introducing a new empress. I thought TH is totally in love with SN and he has all those concubines already, why are they introducing another empress, they are running out of ideas and keep extending the same drama over and over? They have SN and Th have their first night and she becomes pregnant in the same episode and has the baby in the next. It really looks like they are going in circles with the plots.TN kills all those people and nothing ever happens to her, like she is indestructible and she never gets punished for very long. Can someone, please, explain to me why and how are they introducing this new empress to fight with SN? Thank you!

Very rare happened that Emperor loves their Empress for they're more like business partners doing M&A (Merger and Accuisition)

As per above posting stated, Empress position is all about power balance and politic. Prime Ministers daughters are all Empress material.. but most of the time Emperor has another woman/lover already since the palace is swarmed with most beautiful women as contributed for palace maids and Lady in waiting.

I think only one King really loved his M&A Queen.. and that was King Gongmin of Goryeo who was forced to married to TH's half sister, Noguk. He loved her so very much that he didn't want any consorts and became so devastated after losing her in an early child birth after 15 years of marriage. Gongmin was the last King of Goryeo and he was killed by Gen. Yee Seung Gye (Founder and 1st King of Joseon Dinasty)

Lady Ki's coronation.. seems so far away to us now.. and the rumors of extention of this drama is killing me softly....

Guest ravendark

SeGafanlady said: Very rare happened that Emperor loves their Empress for they're more like business partners doing M&A (Merger and Accuisition) As per above posting stated, Empress position is all about power balance and politic. Prime Ministers daughters are all Empress material.. but most of the time Emperor has another woman/lover already since the palace is swarmed with most beautiful women as contributed for palace maids and Lady in waiting. I think only one King really loved his M&A Queen.. and that was King Gongmin of Goryeo who was forced to married to TH's half sister, Noguk. He loved her so very much that he didn't want any consorts and became so devastated after losing her in an early child birth after 15 years of marriage. Gongmin was the last King of Goryeo and he was killed by Gen. Yee Seung Gye (Founder and 1st King of Joseon Dinasty) Lady Ki's coronation.. seems so far away to us now.. and the rumors of extention of this drama is killing me softly....

Guest ravendark

@petria very well stated but my opinion is persons character can have differend sides. As we allcan act mature in certain circumstances, act childish at another. For example some people think I am a serious rare smiling cold person, but for a people who really know me I am a funny, lil childish very warm person. At the other hand when I am very serrious at my work, at home I am tottaly a clown :D 
So TH's changings according to the sittuation. In reality hes a traumatised, scared, tired struggling person. When hes happy hes childish and carefree. Infront of his subjects he know he should stand strong but with people he trust he show his childish but caring side as well as his wounds, concerns and fears. 
Thats how I see.,
BTW I love this TH weekly :) 

Guest ravendark

One question keep tickling my mind, I dont know if I missed at posts since I had to read 10 plus pages, where ET send El plague and El curly to I wonder. El Plague's joy after reading the note was not a good sign at all. And also ET's fear of EL plague knows his secret etc, thats disturbing. I woulds say he sent them to Goryo to tangle the web but how? Or to house of Eagle to do what? Since Bi Soo gone to EH too what is she up to. still cannot trust her. tbh. These questions also keep rolling in my head. 
Could it be about the fake blood wow? Since our team didnt show it, is this the reason they are waitin for?

Guest august101

Bayan's niece would have an advantage Tanasiri never did- she'd be walking into the marriage with insider knowledge thanks to TT and Bayan.  And yes I'm including TT because imo at least initially he's going to be on the side of his sister/cousin and helping his uncle bolster their clan's power.

If the niece plays it smart she'll be the platonic good friend TN never had, win the support of the concubines (some of whom are already side eyeing SN), drive a wedge between the DE and SN by complimenting SN competency and she'll be the noble Yuan Empress the governors can accept.

In short this niece should Margaery Tyrell the suckers.

dang.. Empress Ki makes me I feel like Twilight all over again... only this time without reading the books 7 times..

But I bet I'll be reading it 10 times if they have the EK book/novel in English/Dutch/Indonesian....

I wish they would publish the book in English later after this drama end.. since it's too fabulous and internationally known already..

i remember Bayan telling Taltal something but i can't recall the episode...

BAYAN SAID SOMETHING LIKE THIS. . .

quote. . .

TALTAL I WANT U TO BE THE ONE TO CUT OFF MY HEAD WHEN THE TIME COMES I BECOME LIKE EL TEMUR. . . .

unquote. . .

:)) :)) :))

Just curious, it seems like everyone's talking about the new character/empress being Bayan's niece.  Is this from some news? Because reading over some of the threads in the EK chinese baidu forums, the impression I get is that she's the niece of the Dowager Queen.  Even though her name has Bayan in it, she has nothing to do with General Bayan. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't really follow the news that closely.  So it's probably a war between Lady Ki and the Dowager+new empress for the upcoming episodes? Though I can see General Bayan siding with the Dowager since he will probably be against a Goguryeo empress.

Guest avocado1430291863

@Pegster and DJG, i do have the same thought as yours, in fact since Sn pregnant with maha..becoz hjw tummy is very small there yet she could deliver the baby....before i also wanted lovely scene when sn was pregnant with ayu,,maybe uri paeha could feel the baby moving in her womb...but okay...we couldn't get all what went,could we? Or i think we should tell more what we want,at least in soompi forum..,maybe the production team will peek at our discussion...hehehe

I believe everyone assumed she was the niece because Bayan was talking about his Niece from ep 6. She was mentioned a couple of times so it's more likely his Niece then a random character that has not been mentioned. It also puts Bayan in the same position as ET to allow for greater conflict.

Bayan may not be power hungry right now but once he see's how neglected his niece is when TH spends all his time with SN, he will likely make a move and request TH to spend the night with his niece. Which is pretty much what ET did. Bayan had refused twice to allow his niece into the palace fearing for her safety, so he does care for her enough to be angry in her place.

This will obviously not go down well for both TH or SN. They just defeated on ET and now another one is taking his place.

Edit: According to this site, she's Bayan's niece.
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/16946/20140306/lim-joo-eun-goes-from-the-heirs-to-empress-ki.htm

You learn something new everyday...
sarah.lina said: The two writers (Jang Young Cheol & Jung Kyung Soon) have treated all the actors and staff (200 in total) a large dinner in Paju

Source

Ha Ji Won is in the trend on Naver, thanks to her professional acting in Empress Ki (+165) 6th Overall  --> here