[Drama 2013] The Gu Family Book 구가의 서

Guest yeohweping

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alysanne

Ooh! Script Reading photos!  This was held on February 1 at MBC:
2013020511090211769_1.jpg
More on Tryp's blog:http://tryp96.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/gu-family-book-holds-first-script-reading

@celyw thank you for the casts' update, but Lee Sang Yeob is not Kang Chi's friend, he's been cast in Gu Family Book's competing drama "Jang Ok Jung, Lives in Love
Finally, Script Reading Pictures! Thank you, alysanne. Seung Gi looks younger here, can't wait to see his on-screen chemistry with Suzy. 
More casting news from dramabeans

• We know that Lee Yeon-hee was previously cast in a cameo role for Gu Family Book, but now we know why: She plays Lee Seung-gi’s mother. Okay, this sounds sweet, and much better than I was fearing (she has very little draw for me as a romantic lead, but I’d like to see her working other emotional angles in her acting). Her character loses her father when he’s accused of treason and made a political scapegoat, after which she becomes a gisaeng. She escapes her father’s killer with the help of a man she then falls in love with, later giving birth to our hero. Hm, if she’s a human character, then isDad the gumiho? Nice twist on the ole gumiho lore. [source: Asiae]
  • Lee Sung-jae (Rascal Sons, A Wife’s Credentials) will be playing that archvillain in Gu Family Book, set to make lives miserable all around. He plays a man born into poverty who rises through the military ranks and is now an ambitious man who tramples others to further his own goals. Will his formidable political powers hold up against our half-gumiho hero’s mystical powers? More importantly, will our hero have any powers? [source: Review Star]

Try96 says Lee Yoo Bi aka Choco from Nice Guy is in the cast.  First love?  She's cute and a decent actor, especially for one so new and another singer.  I hope they all sing for the OST.  
 Seunggi does look younger, but he usually does when he's not dressed like an ajusshi.  :)  He and Suzy look good together.  Can't wait to see their chemistry. 

Guest alysanne

Yup, I agree, SG does look younger. Probably because this is a casual setting, so no make-up and and stage/camera styling?  I think they purposefully made him look a little more mature in TK2H so he can look distinguished as a prince/king and he can match up with Ha Ji Won...not that she looks old, ever! LOL.  They'll probably make sure his styling is sort of age-appropriate here so that he can match up with Suzy.

Guest meaghanp

Anticipation is building for this drama since they had their first script readings....is it April yet, I need a little OTP loving from Suzy and Lee Seung Gi. :P 

Yay..script reading photos.They all look good.  :x So far i'm loving all the casts.The filming has started. I cant wait for more spoiler photos. :)

Guest jjsweeter0211

class="blog_h2 entry-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: initial; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: white; font-weight: bold; line-height: normal; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; border-bottom-style: none; border-bottom-color: initial; letter-spacing: -1px; "Lee Seung Gi and Miss A’s Suzy at the first read-through of Medical Novel

February 05, 2013 3:00 pm eternalc2h

2013020511090211769_1.jpgLee Seung Gi and Miss A’s Suzy met at the first read-through of MBC TV’s new drama series Medical Novel.

On February 5, MBC reported that Lee and Suzy attended the first read-through of Medical Novel on February 1. Producer Shin Woo Cheol, writer Kang Eun Kyung, Lee Sung Jae, Lee Yeon Hee, Choi Jin Hyuk, and Jung Hye Young also attended the read-through.

This is Lee and Suzy’s first historical drama series. At the meeting, they read some of their part meeting for the first time and getting close to each other as half-man-half-beast Choi Kang Chi and martial arts trainer Dam Yeo Wool.

Lee Yeon Hee, who plays the role of Yoon Seo Hwa, a lady from a noble family, and Choi Jin Hyuk, who plays the role of Goo Wol Ryung, also read their part.

Lee said, “I’m so excited about portraying Choi Kang Chi.”

The production team of Medical Novel says, “We’ll create a high-quality drama series with the best crew and cast.”

Medical Novel is an action drama series about Choi Kang Chi, who was born as a half-man-half-beast, trying to become a human being. Although he’s not a real human being, he tries to live a life humanely.

The series is written by Kang Eun Kyung, who also wrote KBS 2TV’s Glory Jae In and The King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo, and directed by Shin Woo Cheol, who also directed SBS TV’s Gentleman’s Dignity, Secret Garden, and On Air. It will start airing in April after Horse Healer goes off the air.

Guest jjsweeter0211

Lee Seung Gi & Suzy Attend First Script Reading for ‘The Writings of Nine Houses’

2013-02-05 16:04  l   CJ E&M enewsWorld Hani Park

The first script reading for the upcoming drama The Writings of Nine Houses with Lee Seung Gi and Suzy as lead roles took place at MBC’s Dream Center in Ilsan on February 1.

74843879.jpg

The Writings of Nine Houses will be directed by Shin Woo Cheol who’s known for directing Gentlemen’s Dignity,Secret GardenLovers in Prague, and Lovers in Paris and written by Kang Eun Kyung whose past works include Glory Jane, and Baker King, Kim Tak Goo.

75873355.jpg

Lee Seung Gi and Suzy transformed into their characters as a half-man half-beast Choi Kang Chi and the feisty martial arts instructor Dam Yeo Wool for their first historial drama. 

The two had no problem digesting their roles and acting out the scenes in the first four episodes, from bickering at their first meeting, to becoming friends. 

After the reading, Lee Seung Gi expressed his excitement for the drama and said he looks forward to the journey as his character Choi Kang Chi. 

The Writings of Nine Houses is set to start shooting in early February and to air in April, succeeding Horse Doctor

Photo Credit: MBC

I've seen a lot of different title for this drama (in english). Which one is the closest to the meaning? I prefer Gu Family Book (GFB) because it much shorter to write...LOL 

Guest alysanne

@mei_sk: I think the closest translation is The Gu Family Book.  This is also the translation that LSG mentioned in an interview before.  Apparently, the "Nine Houses" translation is also being used because Gu = Nine.  But the "Medical Novel" thing is definitely nowhere close.

alysanne

said: @mei_sk: I think the closest translation is The Gu Family Book.  This is also the translation that LSG mentioned in an interview before.  Apparently, the "Nine Houses" translation is also being used because Gu = Nine.  But the "Medical Novel" thing is definitely nowhere close.

Guest yeohweping

Plot updated

Cho Gwan Woong (Lee Sung Jae) who was born the lowest of class and was looked down upon
by the people, managed to turn his desperate life around after getting first place in the military scholar exams. Blinded by his ambitions and greed for power, he caused the death of Minister Yoon and brought downfall to the Yoon family when he falsely accused them of treason. Yoon Seo Hwa (Lee Yeon Hee) who was sold as a gisaeng to Chun Hwa Gwan, escapes with the help of Chun Soo Ryun (Jung Hye Young) and her maid (Kim Bo Mi) when she learns that her enemy, Gwan Woong has his eyes on her. 
Seo Hwa & the guardian god of Jiri mountains, Gu Wal Ryung (Choi Jin Hyuk) met and fell in love when she ran to hide out in the mountains but Gwan Woong soon catches wind of her whereabouts and comes hunting for her once again. Feeling unable to raise her son while escaping along with the fact that Wal Ryung has disappeared as well, she sent him down the river in basket hoping that someone could take him in. Meanwhile, Wal Ryung who has lost all his memories began to serve under his enemies as their underling. The only thing that will make the normally amnesiac expressionless Wal Ryung goes in frenzy is whenever he gets to hear Seo Hwa's name.
Choi Kang Chi who grew up with the Park family after he was picked up from river by Park Moo Sol (Uhm HoSub), the father of Park Kyung Jo (Lee Yoo Bi) and Park Tae Soo (Yoon Yeon Seok). Although Park Tae Soo used to treat him like a brother when they were younger, he started to feel a strong hatred towards Kang Chi when he misunderstood that Kang Chi is the main cause of the downfall of his family while Park Kyung Jo who always looked on him began to make use of Kang Chi to pave her way back to the noble status that her family once held after she was sold as a gisaeng to Chun Hwa Gwan and fate leads Kang Chi to meet up with Chun Soo Ryun, the head Gisaeng twenty years later after she encountered his mother.
Dam Yeo Wool (Bae Suzy), the daughter of Kang Chi and Tae Soo's teacher is one of the instructors of the martial arts school and despite her young age, Yeo Wool is highly skilled in archery. Although the cross-dressing Yeo Wool is always clashing with Kang Chi because of their different personalities, they find themselves falling for each other as they got to know each other better. Kang Chi soon discovers that he is actually a half-man and half-beast when his special abilities began to show after he goes after some criminals and to become a full human, he needs to find the Gu family's book to find the way to become one. When Kang Chi sets off on journey to seek his humanity, he ended up confronting his greatest enemy of his life, his father who never aged nor knew about his existence. 

@yeohweping: OMG..thanks a lot. This is so much better summary.Finally i can fully understand this drama. This is so interesting. I've to read it multiple times just to get familiar with the names..LOL.I am too excited for this drama.How am i supposed to wait until April? XD

Archived