[Drama 2013] The Gu Family Book 구가의 서

Guest yeohweping

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alysanne

@celyw: I was thinking along those lines, too. Some people keep saying he did great in TK2H because HJW has a lot of experience. But back when SG did Brilliant Legacy, HHJ didn't have a lot of experience just like him, and people still like what they saw there.  I think SG has that natural ability to adapt to his co-stars, whether they're experienced or not.  He had great chemistry with Jo Jung-seok in TK2H, too, after all, and their experience level is probably just about the same.  People should still give him credit for his work in TK2H, I believe, because Jae-ha's story is not just all about the romance, and I think his acting improved a lot even in the scenes without HJW.  He made a solid character out of Jae-ha. Whether we get Suzy as one of the leads here (the rumour is that the other lady will be Han Chae Ah, who I really liked in Gaksital, so I hope it's true) or another actress, I actually hope that the story will focus more on his character and the romance can just be icing on the cake.  That way, he can really show his improvement to the viewers.  :)

@alysanne I don't say that he seemed to be better because he had strong partners, but that he improved thanks to those good partners. As I said, what I like about Seung Gi is his ability to get better. He gets better with each drama, and I think that the experience of those around him helped him get better. He learned from each of them. By the way, I didn't like HHJ in Shinning Inheritance (I liked Moon Chae Won despite hating her character) and I almost didn't watch it because I hadn't liked Seung Gi. After watching that drama I thought "That's why singers shouldn't act", but I've seen his progress and I really appreciate him for that.
About his ability to adapt to his co-stars, I hope he doesn't match their level when they are bad.
@celyw The problem is that I wouldn't like him to work hard and somebody else to ruin it. 

Guest alysanne

@Hannahmiriam: Oh, wait, I wasn't referring to you with regard to the comments people make about SG; I just see a lot of those comments everywhere, in general.  :)  With the "adapting to co-stars" part, I just meant that he seems to be able to connect with them and strike up some sort of chemistry with them, and this goes for both male and female co-stars; I wasn't referring to the acting ability.  :)  Like you, I also really appreciate that we've seen marked improvement in him, and I hope we see more in this new drama.

@yeohweping: thank you for your update. After reading the story, I'm wondering if Lee Yeon Hee will be the gisaeng who Choi Kang Chi falls in love with but sadly has to grow apart due to their differences.
I only watched LYH in Ghost / the Phantom, and she's not too bad although I have to admit that many times she's expressionless. She received so many criticism about her unnatural acting and stiff facial expressions in the past; so hopefully in Gu Family Book, her special appearance will be the turning point for her.   
My gut feeling is Suzy will be playing as a tomboyish Park Kyung Hee. 
@celyw :D hopefully the script will allow her to work extra harder and showcase her acting ability. 

@vi4,

The 1st female lead is Choi Kang Chi’s (LSG) teacher’s daughter (Suzy) who is an instructor at her father’s martial arts center. The 2nd female lead is Choi Kang Chi’s first love. (Han Chae Ah - not confirmed yet)

Choi Kang Chi’s likes and dislikes are very clear. To him, there’s no in betweeen, like half friend or half enemy.
Born reckless, his body reacts before his head. It’s the period of growth for the reckless simpleton, Choi Kang Chi.
The 2nd female lead becomes a courtesan after her family goes bankrupt, but she has ambitions to climb up the social ladder again.

The main character grows up through life challenges. The drama is centered around the challenges, rather than the characters. The stage is set with ill-fated relationships from the earlier generation, and the main character starts out as a reckless simpleton. This is a story of Choi Kang Chi going through hardships and growing up.

Guest rintintintin

Wait, doesn't mean that he's here???? Oh my LSG!!! why o why???!!! :P I'm dying now. :( I can't wait for his new drama.... I'm so excited on his drama hahaha!! XD

@celyw
Thank you. Now the female lead characters are clearer.  I guess LYH will only cameo in this drama. Hopefully Han Chae Ah will accept the 2nd female lead role, I love her in Gaksital & Ohlala Couple; but it looks like she won't get the man again. 
Based on the story posted by yeohweping on this thread and your post above, CKC's first love is a Gisaeng, they grew up together, but because of her ambition to restore her family status & climb up the social ladder, their relationship fall apart. 
Then, CKC will fall in love with Park Kyung Hee, the tomboyish daughter of his martial art teacher. 
--- that's CKC's love journey --- 
But I love it that this drama will focus on CKC's real life challenges. Can't wait to see how the story will unfold. Very interesting to see his relationship with his father and how they will overcome their ill-fated relationship. Getting so excited now. 

Guest ziimblu

@celyw - yeah, I am worried about the hair too, the new drama being a saeguk and all. I can't imagine him in those mane of glory style?! But I want to be positive. I wish he will always wear this King Jae Ha hair, all the time!

Guest ziimblu

Hello to all of you. I am new here. Like all of you, I am so looking forward to LSeunggi new drama. I thank all of you, for the information and updates I learn through your posts. Seunggi fighting!!!!!

Guest ziimblu

I wish he looks like that all the time. Remember the scene - he was running in green windbreaker, I think it was shot in China? Where he was asked by foreign reporters, he looked so hot lean mean man hot lean mean man!!!! No longer a boy. Man! The treadmill scene/run was the hottest!

„reckless simpleton”... wasn't he like that in ALL his dramas?! Well, you already know I haven't watched the one with many daughters, so I don't know his character it that one.
... I'll think for a while if I like his character or not. Nevertheless, I'll watch the drama. ;)

Archived