41 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

@azureblue7 thanks for sharing. His relationship with his parents sound sweet. I would hazard a guess that his sense of humour comes from his dad

I think so too, his dad looks like he has a deadpan sense of humour. Haha!

• Like 2

This is so cute..hahaha. Professor Hyuk is giving a lecture on how to do the Lee Gun laughter. Not sure if they are supposed to take a video of this though.:sweat_smile:

Spoiler

• Like 1

I had the weirdest dream - that JTBC are doing a dance show (like Strictly in the UK / Dancing with the Stars in the US) and JH was going to be in it...:Megalol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Started The Glory last night and about to start episode 7. I've avoided it for the longest time partly because it is popular and also because of my huge dislike for bullies

While I do like it, I think the pacing is slow and the bullies (mind you not their actions) is too caricature like. It's the same template of opening their eyes very wide and leaning their heads to the side to look intimidating (and the shrill shouts). The child actors were far more convincing than their adult selves - maybe because they're actually school aged and understand classroom dynamics?

The biggest revelation for me is the actor playing the husband to the main antagonist. Six episodes down and I have no idea about his intentions / motives but I'm so intrigued by him. He's both mysterious and intimidating and alas everything I wished for JH's characters in Paid and Blood and The Killer. He radiates power and it's amazing how intimidating he is being as quiet and still as he is. He embodies a chaebol better any other actor I've seen in a kdrama. The aura is insane and the scene when he goes to the golf club and meets with the colourblind guy, that guy looked like a poodle next to him

No comparison with Lee Gun because they're different personalities. By and large, the common chaebol characters I've seen are sh#t because the actors don't have the gravitas. I would like to see this actor in something else but I'm totally sold on his character in this

Plus I prefer him and the female lead. It looks like the adult relationship I want to see JH do albeit the guy seems to be doing all the work chemistry wise. As for the male lead, I can defo see the age gap between him and the female lead. Their platonic romance does nothing for me

Anyways don't mean to ramble on but I'm just shocked at how attractive I find the chaebol / husband character

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

Started The Glory last night and about to start episode 7. I've avoided it for the longest time partly because it is popular and also because of my huge dislike for bullies

While I do like it, I think the pacing is slow and the bullies (mind you not their actions) is too caricature like. It's the same template of opening their eyes very wide and leaning their heads to the side to look intimidating (and the shrill shouts). The child actors were far more convincing than their adult selves - maybe because they're actually school aged and understand classroom dynamics?

The biggest revelation for me is the actor playing the husband to the main antagonist. Six episodes down and I have no idea about his intentions / motives but I'm so intrigued by him. He's both mysterious and intimidating and alas everything I wished for JH's characters in Paid and Blood and The Killer. He radiates power and it's amazing how intimidating he is being as quiet and still as he is. He embodies a chaebol better any other actor I've seen in a kdrama. The aura is insane and the scene when he goes to the golf club and meets with the colourblind guy, that guy looked like a poodle next to him

No comparison with Lee Gun because they're different personalities. By and large, the common chaebol characters I've seen are sh#t because the actors don't have the gravitas. I would like to see this actor in something else but I'm totally sold on his character in this

Plus I prefer him and the female lead. It looks like the adult relationship I want to see JH do albeit the guy seems to be doing all the work chemistry wise. As for the male lead, I can defo see the age gap between him and the female lead. Their platonic romance does nothing for me

Anyways don't mean to ramble on but I'm just shocked at how attractive I find the chaebol / husband character

I am with you about the husband of the main antagonist. He and the antagonist were the most impressive, character wise, in the show. But I don't know if that makes them the better actors. The fact is that the antagonists being the more interestinng is a pattern I noticed in revenge shows, and in cop shows that have a main baddie. The protagonists tend to be generic and generally boring. Even if there is some attempt to make them interesting in the first episodes, it usually fizzles out as the show progresses, since the focus is more on the investigation and less about their character, which leaves all the character development to the antagonists. 

In the mean time, I also tried to watch another Korean show, this time a show called- Risky Romance. At first it was cute enough, though the reason the FL gets involved with the ML is too feeble- she a doctor specializing in hormones ao she  can't help herself- she has to try and heal people, no matter what! But then the ML, that is a surgeon with a brain injury, starts abusing people. Mentally and Physically. Actually hitting and abusing people, including the FL. What made me drop the show was the reaction to it- everyone just accepted it. And the hospital never even thought twice about allowing a surgeon with a recent brain injury to continue and operating on people. I know that the abusive ML is common in Kdramas, but I just can't take it, so I dropped it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I am with you about the husband of the main antagonist. He and the antagonist were the most impressive, character wise, in the show. But I don't know if that makes them the better actors. The fact is that the antagonists being the more interestinng is a pattern I noticed in revenge shows, and in cop shows that have a main baddie. The protagonists tend to be generic and generally boring. Even if there is some attempt to make them interesting in the first episodes, it usually fizzles out as the show progresses, since the focus is more on the investigation and less about their character, which leaves all the character development to the antagonists. 

In the mean time, I also tried to watch another Korean show, this time a show called- Risky Romance. At first it was cute enough, though the reason the FL gets involved with the ML is too feeble- she a doctor specializing in hormones ao she  can't help herself- she has to try and heal people, no matter what! But then the ML, that is a surgeon with a brain injury, starts abusing people. Mentally and Physically. Actually hitting and abusing people, including the FL. What made me drop the show was the reaction to it- everyone just accepted it. And the hospital never even thought twice about allowing a surgeon with a recent brain injury to continue and operating on people. I know that the abusive ML is common in Kdramas, but I just can't take it, so I dropped it.

I actually do think the antagonist husband is a good actor and great in this role. It's really difficult to nail those microexpressions and he does it effortless. I'm reminded of the conversation between the air hostess and the colourblind that the husband is the type of bad guy who doesn't come across that way when you encounter him at first. It's only when you scratch the surface that you see how terrible he is. I agree and the actor nails this - he looks like a details guy who doesn't fly off the handle very easily but if you push him far enough then the nastiness comes through. I'm waiting for him to explode - it seems inevitable. Will start episode 10 tonight and at this stage I'm mostly interested in the husband guy. The only thing that will let me down is if his storyline goes nowhere.

Also looking at his wiki page, he's done quite a bit of theatre. And I'm not surprised. You can see the level of maturity and control he has as a performer and that comes from training in theatre

I do agree that it's harder to be interesting as a protagonist versus an antagonist. Yet there is also a risk with antagonist characters of being over the top. The female antagonist has her moments - again it's mostly in those scenes with her husband that I enjoy her. And it's because of the power play. For me, her character is all over the place. Her sense of entitlement and evil has to be rooted in something. And I don't think the writers know whether it's because of a psychological disorder or just brattiness and sense of entitlement because she's rich. I feel they should have pushed the psychological angle a bit more otherwise it's jarring to see what she's done (psychopathic really) and the image of a devoted mother (which seems genuine). Not a criticism of the acting per se just that I find the character hollow and the acting wishy-washy

One major positive of this drama is they don't shy away from sex like other shows do. The relationships are very adult, well except for the one with the FL and ML, they are going for a modern fairytale. The tropes are there even if it's not the traditional fairytale

Risky Romance sounds genuinely disturbing. I think I'll pass

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

I actually do think the antagonist husband is a good actor and great in this role. It's really difficult to nail those microexpressions and he does it effortless. I'm reminded of the conversation between the air hostess and the colourblind that the husband is the type of bad guy who doesn't come across that way when you encounter him at first. It's only when you scratch the surface that you see how terrible he is. I agree and the actor nails this - he looks like a details guy who doesn't fly off the handle very easily but if you push him far enough then the nastiness comes through. I'm waiting for him to explode - it seems inevitable. Will start episode 10 tonight and at this stage I'm mostly interested in the husband guy. The only thing that will let me down is if his storyline goes nowhere.

Also looking at his wiki page, he's done quite a bit of theatre. And I'm not surprised. You can see the level of maturity and control he has as a performer and that comes from training in theatre

I do agree that it's harder to be interesting as a protagonist versus an antagonist. Yet there is also a risk with antagonist characters of being over the top. The female antagonist has her moments - again it's mostly in those scenes with her husband that I enjoy her. And it's because of the power play. For me, her character is all over the place. Her sense of entitlement and evil has to be rooted in something. And I don't think the writers know whether it's because of a psychological disorder or just brattiness and sense of entitlement because she's rich. I feel they should have pushed the psychological angle a bit more otherwise it's jarring to see what she's done (psychopathic really) and the image of a devoted mother (which seems genuine). Not a criticism of the acting per se just that I find the character hollow and the acting wishy-washy

I'm not saying that the guy is not a a good actor, since I don't know him. I'm just saying that it's easier for an actor in a Kdrama to be more impressive when he's an antagonist or even just not the protagonist. The best example that I can think of is Park Se-Young- to me she was super impressive in BM as a sort of an antagonist, while in MF she was super bland and boring as the FL. Maybe that is why so many people like JH in Voice, as he managed to make his character interesting and spicy, even though he was protagonist. Also, maybe this why I was so disspointed in Park Sung-Woong in the killing vote. He was a sort of an antagonist, but he still managed to bore me!  now, that is an achievement! :)

One major positive of this drama is they don't shy away from sex like other shows do. The relationships are very adult, well except for the one with the FL and ML, they are going for a modern fairytale. The tropes are there even if it's not the traditional fairytale

Completely agree with you on that. That aspect of the show was very surprising and refereshing for a Kdrama. If we go back to The Killing vote, the main bad guy kills essentially cause he's obsessed with  Park Sung-Woong character. but since this is a Kdrama, they dont go all the way and explain why. The most obvious explanation would be that this is a sexual obseession, and the show almost says it, but ends up avoiding it, making the root of the obsession some sort of a strange admiration of the guy. The same goes to the bad guy in TMWYS- he's presented as being obsessed with OHJ, but again the show goes out of it's way to avoid the obvious sexual aspect of the obsession, and instead makes its root to be in a strange form of respect and resentment, something that can't explain why it drives a person to kill over. 

Not to mention all the shows focused of serial Killers. From what I understood almost all serial killings have a sexual aspect to them, butI have rarely seen a Kdrama that includes it, making the murders not make any sense. Brutal for brutality's sake.

There are shows that almost go there, but then stop short. If I remember correctly, the bad guy in Voice is presented as sexy, just from the the way the actor was portraying him. However, his killings never had a sexual aspect to them, making no sense. Again, I don't want Kdramas to go the American shows rout and become overly sexual and explicit. I just want them to portray humans as humans, and not sanitized puppets.

Risky Romance sounds genuinely disturbing. I think I'll pass

I sure did...

• Like 1

Just remembered that the Mongolia show was by JTBC so technically he's covered all the networks I can think of. Hopefully we'll get some casting news in June

• Like 1