Young people rarely realize that they won't stay young forever :) Especially celebrities. Whenever I see young popular celebrities acting like they own the world, I have only pity for them, because they don't know it will last for only a short while, and the crash to the ground from those heights is especially painful...

That's why JH wanted to be an actor, not a celebrity.

But since in fandoms woman are usually more active, the male fans are overlooked...

In general, men just watch the drama for entertainment sake. Not so much into fandom. Even if they liked a particular actor, they'll not show it much, not like us ladies.

Oh, let me just be naughty for a moment. Those HB fans - all he needs to do is to get married & we'll see how many young girls will remain loyal. They'll probably attack his poor wifey.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I know! I shouldn’t feed the trolls! Sometimes I can’t help myself but I know you are right 

And yes, I know what you mean about the lady from “The K Three” who has to clarify every time “she is not a fan”. It is puzzling. If she said it once I’d think ok, it could mean like “even if Im not in looove like my friend Marisa, I can appreciate his acting skills” but she said it many times so it became awkward after a while. 

And new pic from the calendar posted by Zoi. I think this one has a softer and sweeter vibe than his most recent sexy sensual photoshoot. Still :7555_attack:

@budgerie By OTT I meant “over the top”. Sometimes our Hyukie has been a bit over the top and shouty, especially in the distant past lololol so I “can” understand when some people complain about that but one or two bad moments by no means can disqualify his abilities as an actor. Speaking of male fans, they exist but mostly in sports (they go crazier than us honestly) and in science fiction or comic world, like Star Wars fandom or Marvel Universe. Those men go craaaaazy :tounge_xd:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@budgerie By OTT I meant “over the top”.

Thank you! I'm bad with all these short forms. But I'm learning...lol.

Sometimes our Hyukie has been a bit over the top and shouty,

I honestly cannot stand his "gaebong ah, gaebong ah".....

That lady who denied JH 3x probably is afraid that fans will attack her if she said anything good about JH but since if she wants to say something good, she gotta say she's not his fan.

Speaking of male fans, they exist but mostly in sports (they go crazier than us honestly) and in science fiction or comic world, like Star Wars fandom or Marvel Universe. Those men go craaaaazy :tounge_xd:

Oh yes! They scream & shout & swear when their team (soccer) didn't strike the goal.

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

it's simple why they do this- because they are trolls. Trolls are professional attention seekers.

I wonder what's the age group of these trolls. Don't they need to go to school or to work? Or have a family to take care of? Got so much time to live in fantasy island.

But nowadays I hardly ever see them respond when someone praises JH's Bang won... Maybe even they had to admit it's a lost cause?:D 

It could be they wanted a reaction from JH fans. But since no reaction, it only showed their own stupidity on the whole thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Thank you! I'm bad with all these short forms. But I'm learning...lol.

I'm like you, all those short forms confuse me often :) 

I honestly cannot stand his "gaebong ah, gaebong ah".....

Oh, god! Exactly! Just horrible! There I admit- it was JH's acting. I Think this is the thing with JH- he is not afraid to go overboard when the role calls for it, as at times is can come out great, but he can't always know when it's too much, and this is where he needs the director. I think in JH's case that's the role of the director- to pull JH back when he goes too overboard. In FTLY they did it beautifully, but in SSOG the director failed to moderate him. Especially the crying scene was ruined for me by his "gaebong ah, gaebong ah"...

I also think that in WOL the director failed to fine tune JH. The interesting thing was that even JH said that he felt lost since the director wasn't directing him as he needed. So it's interesting that JH is aware of that need of his, which again shows how intelligent he is.

That lady who denied JH 3x probably is afraid that fans will attack her if she said anything good about JH but since if she wants to say something good, she gotta say she's not his fan.

But whose fans will attack her? Maybe the fans of the more popular shows that she watches, meaning rom-coms. To me it feels like a sort of condescension towards JH... 

@dramafan33 exactly. There is something awkward about it. I still don't know how to explain why it bothers me so much- like I feel she has some intent in that...

I don't even think she's seen many of his shows, only MC, TMWYS and maybe Voice, and from the astorilogical video, it was clear they don't know anything about JH, which says something about the lack of promotion of JH in the last few years in the more popular shows. Just annoys me... one of the other women is a fan of JH, but she is not as vocal as this woman in the videos.

Oh yes! They scream & shout & swear when their team (soccer) didn't strike the goal.

I wonder what's the age group of these trolls. Don't they need to go to school or to work? Or have a family to take care of? Got so much time to live in fantasy island.

Not sure. I think most trolls are quite young, but I'm not sure. Sometimes they have some social problems or disorders like autism and stuff like that.

It could be they wanted a reaction from JH fans. But since no reaction, it only showed their own stupidity on the whole thing.

I remember once I came across a post on twitter from a woman that said she didn't like JH's acting and then claimed that whenever someone says something unflattering about JH, they are swarmed by his ajouma fans. The funniest thing to me was that not a single JH fan responded to her, essentially disproving her claim. Another troll fail :D

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Zoi posted another beautiful pic on her IG.

:heart2beat:

These pictures are amazing! But why are they only used for a calendar that was only sold in Japan? What on earth is going on here?! These pics need to hit the Korean media. I'm tired of JH getting overlooked! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, budgerie said:

Oh, let me just be naughty for a moment. Those HB fans - all he needs to do is to get married & we'll see how many young girls will remain loyal. 

His popularity is on another level so he will remain unscathed. I don't feel ill will towards him or other popular or obscure actors.

Larger fandom means higher chances of meeting trolls. 

Hyukie isn't devoid of troll 'fans' either. Do you remember what happened during Wok of Love? Many troll 'fans' of JH were not kind to Lee Jun Ho. It happens all of time. 

Atleast for us this 'hatred' remains in the fandom and don't permeate the reality. Have you seen tvn drama My Mister? It had worst case of toxic fanfare among all of dramas I've ever watched. Drama's PD Kim Won Seok was in tears during the press conference and Lee Sun Kyun looked extremely uncomfortable. They recieved so much backlash from IU's fans. 

I think woman who claims that she is not his fan is in denial. She likes him but thinks her friends might judge her for it. Lols:partyblob: 

• Like 3

Ran into this vid of Joe Taslim talking on Scott Adkins Youtube show- (Scott Adkins does action movies. I think I saw him in some movie... Not the best actor...). At any rate, at the end Joe speaks a bit about working in The Swordsman and with Jang Hyuk. Obviously talking again about the moment he hit JH. I liked how he called JH "The Tom Cruise of Korea" and a bada$$, I wish the Korean entertainment industry would also remember this... 

47 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Hyukie isn't devoid of troll 'fans' either. Do you remember what happened during Wok of Love? Many troll 'fans' of JH were not kind to Lee Jun Ho. It happens all of time. 

I heard that some fans were angry that JH wasn't the lead, but I didn't hear that they went after Lee Jun Ho... I actually had no problem with him- loved the bromance they had. It's the girl that I couldn't stand, but even that wasn't the actress' fault, it was the script writer that made her so annoying...

47 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Atleast for us this 'hatred' remains in the fandom and don't permeate the reality. Have you seen tvn drama My Mister? It had worst case of toxic fanfare among all of dramas I've ever watched. Drama's PD Kim Won Seok was in tears during the press conference and Lee Sun Kyun looked extremely uncomfortable. They recieved so much backlash from IU's fans. 

My Mister? I thought that was a popular show. I even managed to watch it all the way through, though it did bore after a while- too much suppressed emotions and acting... What was the issue there?

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson @fiesty8001 I remember the reactions during WOL and how Junho fans complained he was being attacked by JH fans but when I looked at many of those “JH fan trolls” they weren’t even real fans of JH. You could tell from their accounts they were mostly Junho antis who were using the opportunity to trash him. Of course Im not saying that no JH fan attacked him but there was a lot of his antis too, since you could tell they were mostly kpop fans and not kdrama fans (judging from their usual posts) This is the problem when idols act in dramas, they bring their fans with them but also their antis (not that they shouldn’t pursue acting, its just a thing the production and actors should expect to deal with) The irony of all this is both JH and Junho were very supporting of each other during and after the drama. A friend of mine told me (not sure who her sources are) that before the drama was given a green light, it was Junho who was super invested in doing this drama, but that there was some executives at SBS that weren’t super confident about him carrying the drama on his own, so when JRW and JH, who are more experienced, signed on to support, Junho was very grateful to both. Fortunately the fans silly behavior didn’t affect their relationship. 

I suppose something similar happened with My Mister? Just because IU is a singer? I wasn’t aware there was any backlash, I also only saw praise for the drama. I watched it too and loved their characters but found some parts boring too (ie. I never got into the younger brother’s storyline with the actress) Also curious to know what the issue was. 

@azureblue7 Seeing this preview I remembered JH in the first “Family Outing” when they gave him the nickname of “work horse” or something like that. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I heard that some fans were angry that JH wasn't the lead, but I didn't hear that they went after Lee Jun Ho... 

My Mister? I thought that was a popular show. I even managed to watch it all the way through, though it did bore after a while- too much suppressed emotions and acting... What was the issue there?

I clearly remember those nasty people because I had been running around in the hope of cooling them down. Curiously they were not even long-term fans(barring one or two exceptions) but just some random newbies. I think we can also sort-out fandoms of other people in same way. 

It happened much before the drama aired. I really liked MM but won't talk about it in this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

I clearly remember those nasty people because I had been running around in the hope of cooling them down. Curiously they were not even long-term fans(barring one or two exceptions) but just some random newbies. I think we can also sort-out fandoms of other people in same way. 

It happened much before the drama aired. I really liked MM but won't talk about it in this thread.

I was sorta doing the same, but mostly talking to the more normal Junho fans (some were also going overboard) and like I said, many of those “JH fans”weren’t even newbies, many of them weren’t even real JH fans. It was very easy for Junho antis to take advantage of the mess and claim “outrage that JH was second lead” only to trash Junho and those people had never stanned JH before in their damn life! We JH fans are NOT too many lol It was absurd. How interesting that we become “millions” when it comes to trolling but we can’t get him to win one single poll lol 

The one troll who attacks JH btw is a true troll, and attacks different actors too. She just loves attention. I blocked her years ago but sadly, that only prevents her from seeing my tweets not the other way around. 

You can’t tell us about the issue with MM? We often go off topic here. As long as we don’t go on forever :P it should be ok. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I looked at many of those “JH fan trolls” they weren’t even real fans of JH. 

I suppose something similar happened with My Mister? Just because IU is a singer?

We have talked about it earlier :heartxoxo:

My Mister faced double whammy. First from antis of IU because she is not an actress. In addition of this she was accused of enticing her ajjushi 'fans' with 'Lolita' concept in the past. So after reading the title and synopsis of the drama they naturally assumed that it was in line with the concept of her previous singing career. 

Second and most severe wave was both from fans and anti-fans. They claimed that KWS is trying to exploit IU's image and LSK is not good enough for IU. Some people went as far as calling LSK a pervert for accepting this role. All and all it was not pleasant. 

19 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

The one troll who attacks JH btw is a true troll, and attacks different actors too. 

That vulgar person is still alive? :crazily:

• Like 5

@fiesty8001 What? Wow! I hope the backlash ceased after the drama performed well and after they realized it wasn’t even a romance! The neeeerve to say LSK is not worthy of IU. He is a great actor! I thought she was perfect for her role too. Ah well! Im glad I missed those dumb comments. 

@azureblue7 @Biology Lesson I actually bought the 2020 calendar on yesasia.com so I’m hoping they get the 2021 at some point. The pictures are :sparklyeyes:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

I was sorta doing the same, but mostly talking to the more normal Junho fans (some were also going overboard) and like I said, those JH fans weren’t newbies, they weren’t even real JH fans. It was very easy for Junho antis to take advantage of the mess and claim “outrage that JH was second lead” only to trash Junho and those people never stanned JH before in their damn life! We JH fans are NOT too many lol It was absurd. How interesting that we become “millions” when it comes to trolling but we can’t get him to win one single poll lol 

I Also noticed that JH's fans are not very active online. But I will say that I was once part of a fandom of an actor that wasn't so popular. I thought he was a good actor and he was in some famous movies in the 80s-90s, but most people didn't even know his name. So most of his projects in later years were not very good . But his fandom at that time was very passionate, almost desperate, so whenever there was a poll they would spend hours upon hours voting and actually winning those polls. But obviously the win didn't reflect reality. This made me think that fandoms that win polls, especially those that allow multiple voting, reflect more the nature of the fans, less the actor. I kinda like the fact that JH's fans are a bit more sedate, shows confidence in him.

On the other hand, what I would like is if more fans will post on YouTube, especially those list videos of "the best korean actors" or "the best shows of whatever year". Those videos really influence people that are new to Kdramas or are researching Kdramas. I recently posted a video that boasted to show the most popular actors according to internet activity from 2004-2010, and to my surprise JH wasn't in it, even though FTLY and JNR were in the other videos, as you can see in this video:

https://youtu.be/6hV0pGuRKGA

When I asked why, this was the response I got:

"we list all who appears in the first page of google search. when you try to search most popular actors in google, he doesn't appear in any links of the first page of results. for example a link might say "top 100/200+ actors", he's not there too"

This needs to change. I would do such a video but it would be a very short one as I don't watch Kdramas and don't know many actors :D

The one troll who attacks JH btw is a true troll, and attacks different actors too. She just loves attention. I blocked her years ago but sadly, that only prevents her from seeing my tweets not the other way around. 

Doesn't "mute" work? That should make her posts invisible to you...

• Like 2

I think the case of MM was similar with WOL. The troll fan. I'm friend with IU's fan (Uaenas) mostly on Twitter and they really a bunch of good people and supporters. They even reporting some account that looks like IU's fan but somehow demeaning her project and costar. From all the popular idol actress I like her the most with her choice of character and growth in acting.

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I Also noticed that JH's fans are not very active online. But I will say that I was once part of a fandom of an actor that wasn't so popular. I thought he was a good actor and he was in some famous movies in the 80s-90s, but most people didn't even know his name. So most of his projects in later years were not very good . But his fandom at that time was very passionate, almost desperate, so whenever there was a poll they would spend hours upon hours voting and actually winning those polls. But obviously the win didn't reflect reality. This made me think that fandoms that win polls, especially those that allow multiple voting, reflect more the nature of the fans, less the actor. I kinda like the fact that JH's fans are a bit more sedate, shows confidence in him.

On the other hand, what I would like is if more fans will post on YouTube, especially those list videos of "the best korean actors" or "the best shows of whatever year". Those videos really influence people that are new to Kdramas or are researching Kdramas. I recently posted a video that boasted to show the most popular actors according to internet activity from 2004-2010, and to my surprise JH wasn't in it, even though FTLY and JNR were in the other videos, as you can see in this video:

https://youtu.be/6hV0pGuRKGA

When I asked why, this was the response I got:

"we list all who appears in the first page of google search. when you try to search most popular actors in google, he doesn't appear in any links of the first page of results. for example a link might say "top 100/200+ actors", he's not there too"

This needs to change. I would do such a video but it would be a very short one as I don't watch Kdramas and don't know many actors :D

Doesn't "mute" work? That should make her posts invisible to you...

Nah, I watch this but stop midway coz I found it ridicolus and can't stand the comment. They even had an actor category too. Call me jealous or what I don't care. I dont think this side know that JH was in top 10 for the average rating of his drama from 2010-2019. The graph fall lower only coz BM and some of cable channel rating. Even so BM was an underrated drama that many ppl love. Do you know what real deal? Watchmojo site. It from fan around the world voting and not from mere 1 or 2 person opinion. And Jjang Couple include in their list for best couple even for honorable mention still worth it consider with all the contenders.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

19 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

he is not afraid to go overboard when the role calls for it, as at times is can come out great, but he can't always know when it's too much, and this is where he needs the director. 

Yup agree! Director-nim should have held the rein. Because from JH POV is how he wants to act a scene. From Director POV is how audience will look at it from the opposite side. Too much will irk the audience. His "gaebong ah" was too much for my liking.  

19 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The interesting thing was that even JH said that he felt lost since the director wasn't directing him as he needed. So it's interesting that JH is aware of that need of his, which again shows how intelligent he is.

WOL was a project that had bad directing. Although he did well as his character (forgot his character name), but it was 1 drama that I would not re watch. 

14 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Atleast for us this 'hatred' remains in the fandom and don't permeate the reality.

Didn't know that JH also had troll fans! But I mean, how do people become fake fans? Is either you like or you don't like. Hahaha! Maybe I ain't active in social media to notice.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yoeda said:

Nah, I watch this but stop midway coz I found it ridicolus and can't stand the comment. They even had an actor category too. Call me jealous or what I don't care. I dont think this side know that JH was in top 10 for the average rating of his drama from 2010-2019. The graph fall lower only coz BM and some of cable channel rating. Even so BM was an underrated drama that many ppl love. Do you know what real deal? Watchmojo site. It from fan around the world voting and not from mere 1 or 2 person opinion. And Jjang Couple include in their list for best couple even for honorable mention still worth it consider with all the contenders.

That's what I'm saying- they didn't even search his name because they didn't know who he was! The person who did this video doesn't know K actors. What they first did is a search for the most popular K actors, took the names that google gave first or that were included in random "top korean actors" lists that they found and mapped them over the years! because JH's name didn't pop up in their search they didn't even map him compared to the rest. Obviously his name should have topped the list in 2010 and 2014 AND surprisingly, also in 2019. Why 2019? Because if you look at the mapping of the shows, FTLY (as "You are my destiny") made a comeback, probably because of COVID-19, and secretly, without anyone knowing about it, became super popular again. JNR name in the Actresses vid matches this, but in the actors vid, JH is no where to be found, because whoever made those "top Korean actors" lists simply didn't include JH. This why I think JH's fans should be making vids like those or else JH will continue to be overlooked

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

"Sloppy anti-war Charm" what does that mean? Sloppy- I understand :D, but anti-war? They mean that he is very mellow? I never understand Korean phrasing...

• Like 2
  • LOL 1