[Drama 2012] The Equator Man 적도의 남자

Admin

Guest ponkie

It can be that I'm wrong with this thing. I didn't remember that in the synopsis was that she witnessed...

Well I'm curious about it.:huh: 

I read it, but I still didn't believe it when I watched that episode. What is she actually that she acted like nothing happened and even went as far as going to SW's house looking for him even though she saw what happened?

Here's the synopsis on wiki:

Jang-il, the smartest of the school, and Seon-wu, the strongest kid in Yeosu, are best friends. Influenced by Jang-il, Seon-wu starts studying and working hard towards his dream. However, all of a sudden, Seon-wu’s guardian, Kyung-pil, dies a mysterious death and Seon-wu becomes blind while investigating on the case. Su-mi witnesses the scene that Jang-il attacks Seon-wu but remains silent on it and waits for the right moment. Ji-won, who is a volunteer reader for visually impaired people, meets Seon-wu by chance and they fall in love. Despite his strong feelings for Ji-won, however, Seon-wu breaks up with Ji-won so she can have a better life. 13 years have passed. Jang-il becomes a special prosecutor. Seon-wu becomes a young CEO of Royal Tree, an investment trust company. Ji-won works as a VIP party planner at a five-star hotel. And Sumi becomes a hyperrealism painter. They all have gone their separate ways. However, the fate draws them back together… --HanCinema

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dabdi

Yes, it's ok, I read the synopsis again after Tango27 wrote about it.

And I watched ep 12 and all I can write is: ??????????

Waiting for the recaps and the subs.

Guest keitachan

Everyone seems to be here because of UTW effect, am I the only one here because of the  Hyuk's effect? lol*quoted image**quoted image*

I confess I watched city hunter because of him (my fav character there. Yes LMH doesn't do much for me)

And here Hyuk is killing it as JI. Weeeeeee! He is so good and sometimes he is so creepy... that I almost forget how hot he is LOL

UTW is also very good. But I love watching Hyuk's JI!

I am here for the Hyuk effect. He is scary good - he has this way of staring that just gives me the heebie jeebies.

As for Soo Mi, her attitude is always so suspicious that who knows. I think it is more likely she was there than not. And even with the diary page transcribed her paintings had a little too much detail for imagination. She ignored Sun Woo all along in the early parts. It was suspicious that she suddenly started caring. She suspected or knew something long before she transcribed the page from Sun Woo's diary because she was surprised that Sun Woo remembered what had happened but not surprised that Jang Il was the culprit. She knew about what Jang Il's dad did and asked her father to keep quiet.

Either way, she is a total psycho. As bad as, or worse than, Jang Il and his father. They were motivated by self preservation at least. She has some twisted interest in a guy that is at best an attempted murderer and whose father is a murderer. I think she is the most twisted person in all this.

As for Ji Won being one dimensional. I totally disagree. I think the drama just has not evolved the characters enough. Think about it - she was hot tempered when when she was young. Then her family lost everything because of Jin. I think she had to grow and mature early on and that affected her. However, the law books show that she has not given up her revenge on Jin, just that she is looking for a better way than windshield bashing - lol.

This has all the making of a great drama but has not been handled well enough so at this point - it is just a good drama.

Guest jordi

Full Ratings

AGB Nielsen Korea

12th episode:

Nationwide: 15,2% (+0,2%)

Seoul: 16,1% (+0,4%)

TNS Media Korea

12th episode:

Nationwide: 13,6% (-2,0%)

Seoul: 15,7% (-1,0%)

King 2Hearts - ratings AGB: 10,7% (Nationwide) / 12,5% (Seoul) ratings TNS: 10,0% (Nationwide) / 11,8% (Seoul)

Rooftop Prince - ratings AGB: 11,3% (Nationwide) / 12,4% (Seoul) ratings TNS: 12,3% (Nationwide) / 13,7% (Seoul)

Guest keitachan

In the preview for ep 12 - Jin told Jang Il that his father is the one who killed Sun Woo's father right? Jang Il got pale and looked shocked so I am assuming that is what Jin said.

I need to rant cause I am furious with the writer everyone is when she gives a talented female lead 5 minutes every ep she saving her for the last episode or something? ... I agree that she has great material.. interesting premise mixing Hitchcock style with melo.. great actors.. great PD ... but she keeps ruining it somehow...

about the episode I think it was going in one direction to drive Jang II over the edge and they did it well as we heard enough screaming from him they also starting to do the same to the president who lost his cool when he saw MTJ I still dont know where are going from here I know the final part of the show will be in Thailand but I cant see why they will go there or how it will end ...I still dont like the westernised David much but it was cute when she kept surprising him staring at her and when he started reading the same lines it felt like the old Sunwoo and the literary couple again like the nicknamed them in korea I think the old Sunwoo is hiding somewhere and she needs to find him like she did the first time

here is some of the disappointed korean responses about ignoring JW and shifting her to the background and making Somi the centre and damaging the romance

“이보영 여주인공인데 분량이 너무 적다. 도대체 로맨스는 언제 ”( LBY role is too small as a lead when the hell will the romance begin )

김선우 정말 너무한다. 한지원 모르는 척 하는 이유를 도통모르겠네 ( I dont know why Sunwoo is acting like this to JW )

제발 김선우 한지원 로맨스 좀 살려 달라. 답답해 죽겠 ( PLZ help the couple romance ... it is frustrating I am dying )

ok writer I hope you HEARD

Guest kayana20

I really hope Sun woo can help Jiwon bring down Jin bcause I don't like her being relegated down to that one-dimensional character. It's like she isn't as passionate about anything since she cannot get her revenge and is worried over sun-woo when if she could focus on what made her become the person she is today she might understand somewhat why he is pretending to not know her. I hope that is in an upcoming episode.

@ Also the reason why Equator Man is number 1 is because the elections gave it that boost and the UTW effect. When people see him on screen anything he is in is just good. Their is just something about the way he acts and it doesn't hurt that the 2nd makes you despise him but at the same time want him to grow a conscience. The lovestory also is an added bonus because she isn't weak but can they slowly keep dropping hints and building it up. K2H is phenomeonal but no wants to watch a show about 2 warring countries in real life. The drama is good but people just can't deal with that at this time. As for Rooftop Prince Ha Ji Min is in it crying, acting, and just strong she makes you feel that character and her love for the Prince .While you love the J4 who crack you up with their stubbornness and blindness at times. Only weakness people do not like Idol drama's because of the fanwars and how no one can make an honest assessment of the acting. Then the 2nd lead female sigh she just is too pretty to even try and look evil it's sad because she makes you hate her for her antics.Turning viewers off because if a mystery is supposed to be solved why does it take that many episodes to solve it? thank goodness the pacing is back to the way it is. Fact is I love all 3 shows and see the good and bad things. I now see why Equator Man is competition and am quite happy everyone does too. It's a Melo but doesn't it remind you of the old school drama days when all you needed was a script and good actor to convery the story instead of props and marketing tricks?

I totally agree, Soo Mi is the absolute worst!! Jang II and his dad  committed murder and attempted murder out of love for one another but what does this crazy wench hope to gain? The only thing I see  in her future is her imminent death.   Jang II is  literally being  pushed to the edge of his sanity Soo Mi better watch out.!!! Jin,  when he smiles it really makes my skin crawl he has  such a lizardy smile.. fake and cold blooded(I think he is a fine actor)You really get the feeling Jin would kill you in a heartbeat.  And I agree when Jang II stares at you you wonder if he is going to go postal on  you. scary crazy  lol The reason I find the  Equator man is so powerful is because of  human emotion displayed. I don't necessarily agree with why the characters act the way they do but I can certainly see how they got there(except for Soo Mi she is just a  pychopath).I  have to give the actors their props they are doing a fine job . I think kdrama value the demure meek woman if not why are there so many? Certainly in America getting slapped/water thrown means automatic  reprisal.I think it is cultural thing  innocence,purity and all that  everybody likes the god girl. I do wish our heroine had a little more backbone and show some of the fire she had when she smashed that window but next week is another episode. 

Guest keitachan

I have not seen the last ep (12) and I am just interpreting from 11 based on facial expressions and body language since I do not know Korean but I must say the one I do not get is Sun Woo. The writers had the opportunity, after the 13 years time jump, to make a really intricate, deep character but they just are not showing that. Initially it appeared that he had given his revenge a lot of though but after watching ep 11 I get the impression he is just bumbling around.

I guess I gave them too much credit. I thought it would be a deep intricately crafted revenge where he slowly turned them against each other while staying in the shadows, or at least hid his motive, but I feel that any reasonable person who knows the past (Jang Il and his father) can see what SW is up to.

Also, his treatment of JW makes no sense. He asked her to wait for him and she did. I do not get his actions at all. He is actually treating Jang Il better, even if he is faking it, than he is treating JW. The way he acts she is more his enemy than anyone else.

I am disappointed with the writers on this. I hope they do not turn this into one of those "I did a lot of horrible unforgivable stuff but now that I am caught I regret it so please forgive me" dramas with one of those "You were my friend so I must forgive your father killing my father and you trying to kill me out of greed and ambition and save you for old times sake" endings.

I would like to see a really good revenge drama where people actually took revenge or at least justice. Revenge, the series on US tv, is kindy campy and hokey but it is much better crafted.

Guest littlepig310

I really hope Sun woo can help Jiwon bring down Jin bcause I don't like her being relegated down   to that one-dimensional character. It's like she isn't as passionate about anything since she cannot get her revenge and is worried over sun-woo  when if she could focus on what made her become the person she is today she might understand somewhat  why he is pretending to not know her. I hope that is in an upcoming episode.

@ Also the reason why Equator Man is number 1 is because the elections gave it that boost and the UTW effect. When people see him on screen anything he is in is just good. Their is just something about the way he acts and it doesn't hurt that the 2nd makes you despise him but at the same time want him to grow a conscience. The lovestory also is an added bonus because she isn't weak but can they slowly  keep dropping hints and building it up. K2H is phenomeonal but no wants to watch a show about 2 warring countries in real life. The drama is good but people just can't deal with that at this time. As for Rooftop Prince Ha Ji Min is in it crying, acting, and just strong she makes you feel that character and her love for the Prince .While you love the J4 who crack you up with their stubbornness and blindness at times. Only weakness people do not like Idol drama's because of the fanwars and how no one can make an honest assessment of the acting. Then the 2nd lead female sigh she just is too pretty to even try and look evil it's sad because she makes you hate her for her antics.Turning viewers off because if a mystery is supposed to be solved why does it take that many episodes to solve it? thank goodness the pacing is back to the way it is. Fact is I love all 3 shows and see the good and bad things. I now see why Equator Man is competition and am quite happy everyone does too. It's a Melo but doesn't it remind you of the old school drama days when all you needed was a script and good actor to convery the story instead of props and  marketing tricks?

do you mean that the rating rise has nothing to do with the DIRECTOR, THE PD, THE CAMERA MAN, ALL THE OTHER ACTORS AND ACTRESSES ? i can hardly agree with you...wacko.gif

I think you must have misunderstood what she wrote a little. She did mentioned that the election helped boost the ratings but at the end she said Equator Man reminded her of the old days when all you need was a script and good actors -- meaning no marketing strategies, no props....no gimmicks just really good actors.

I mean I guess if you really think about it the script for Equator Man is good but it's something that's been done over and over again. There's really nothing "new" except for the few twists here and there. The reason why I think the drama is doing well is because the actors are so good at what they do. They're able to convey such wicked (like Soo Mi) and sincere emotions into their characters. The staff is pretty awesome too. And I've mentioned it a couple of times already but I've learned from taking Korean film classes that melodramas are really loved in Korea so I'm not at the least surprise that Equator Man continues to do well.

I haven't seen this week's episode but from reading everyone's comment I am shock at Soo Mi. I mean I knew she was going to be an evil character but for some reason I was hoping that she was genuine with the way she acted toward Sun Woo (during his accident). I know some said that it wasn't clear if she really saw it take place but from the looks of it she must have been there. All I'm hoping is that she didn't really see it happen because then....well....I just really hope she didn't. I wouldn't know how she would try to redeem herself after that if she did.

Tango27: Yeah...I've realized that Ji Won doesn't get that much air time. Then again Soo Mi doesn't necessary get that much either too and if she does it's probably because she has a deeper connection to Sun Woo and Jang Il than Ji Won because they all kind of grew up together. I think once we start getting into Ji Won's revenge then she'll appear more but at the moment I think it's safe to assume that the writer wants us to be more focused on the SunWoo/JangIl story than anything else since technically Equator Man is about the two boys.

She did Soo Mi watched the whole horrible incident..and did absolutely nothing. I can only assume it for  the love of Jang II . But my view is if you see someone you love doing something wrong you jump in and say hey think before you do something you will regret for a lifetime. At least I would.I agree I think as the plot goes a little further we will see more of Ji Won especially when she learns more about what's going on

Guest littlepig310

I think you must have misunderstood what she wrote a little. She did mentioned that the election helped boost the ratings but at the end she said Equator Man reminded her of the old days when all you need was a script and good actors -- meaning no marketing strategies, no props....no gimmicks just really good actors.

I mean I guess if you really think about it the script for Equator Man is good but it's something that's been done over and over again. There's really nothing "new" except for the few twists here and there. The reason why I think the drama is doing well is because the actors are so good at what they do. They're able to convey such wicked (like Soo Mi) and sincere emotions into their characters. The staff is pretty awesome too. And I've mentioned it a couple of times already but I've learned from taking Korean film classes that melodramas are really loved in Korea so I'm not at the least surprise that Equator Man continues to do well.

I haven't seen this week's episode but from reading everyone's comment I am shock at Soo Mi. I mean I knew she was going to be an evil character but for some reason I was hoping that she was genuine with the way she acted toward Sun Woo (during his accident). I know some said that it wasn't clear if she really saw it take place but from the looks of it she must have been there. All I'm hoping is that she didn't really see it happen because then....well....I just really hope she didn't. I wouldn't know how she would try to redeem herself after that if she did.

Tango27: Yeah...I've realized that Ji Won doesn't get that much air time. Then again Soo Mi doesn't necessary get that much either too and if she does it's probably because she has a deeper connection to Sun Woo and Jang Il than Ji Won because they all kind of grew up together. I think once we start getting into Ji Won's revenge then she'll appear more but at the moment I think it's safe to assume that the writer wants us to be more focused on the SunWoo/JangIl story than anything else since technically Equator Man is about the two boys.

i see...ok...i think i missed out reading the last two sentences..haharolleyes.gif  i did not read through the middle part as i did not watch the other two dramas and will have no hint on what was written...sorry about that..!!   as for equator man i think the director does an excellent job as you said the plot has been used many times before with some difference here and there...but the directing does make some difference here..

Wow what a difference subs make.(duh!! lol) Talk about a powerful episode Sun Woo is starting his revenge and  poor  Jang II  found out his father was actually the murderer of Seon Woo dad. not an accomplice.!!! And on top of that, that crazy wench  Soo Mi is applying the pressure. too. Soo Mi  wants Jang II to recognize her a an accomplished woman which Jang II will never do because he dislikes her so much.She about revenge too, stupid girl.  What Soo Mi  is looking for is  his love which Jang II will never give her. but  she might end up married to him because she is going to blackmail him into marrying her I would bet the ranch on it. But from Soo Mi point of view Jang II did not like her because she was poor and that wasn't it he just didn't like her So because jang Ii looked down on you as a kid (when you had a one sided crush) now you have become a psycho stalker so he will look at you !! DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE!! All in all another great episode

I have been reading an interesting article called ( the reason why UTW/LBY love line disappeared ) lol...it starts by saying that that the equator man is similar to the writer female version of this show.. women in the sun.. in pattern and even ratings wise....then talked about how the show strangely enough show shifted focus from Sunwoo to the conflict between Jang II and Somi...and Korean audience complaints about postponing the romance a couple that was primarily responsible for the rebound in the ratings seems they are interested in this couple so why ignoring what could have pushed the drama up .. then it mentions possible reasons like they could be working on other material or they only have few days to work on the scenario ... a tearful romantic reunion might weaken the tension and lots of other plot details it concludes by saying there is hope for the love line eh? ok we know that but we only have 8 episodes left no 50 anyway we can only wait and see

3b87e950352ac65cd830cbd.jpg

42a98226cffc1e17e39e219.jpg

bd3eb13533fa828bbe5f304.jpg

d0c8a786c9177f3e433551a.jpg

d833c895d143ad4b852eeb6.jpg

060828381f30e9243bd8319.jpg

So Mi did saw the whole incident on Jang Il attacking Sun Woo. Isnt's it's the place where Sun Woo get attacking is the same place where So Mi wanted to go and draw with Jang Il? Maybe that day she decided to go over there again and draw and accidentally saw the incident. This is just my imagination :rolleyes:

Guest Iviih

Hello everyone, last episode it showed a flashback and Soomi did saw JI hitting SW.

She was drawing the scenery when suddenly she saw JI begging SW.... then she saw him hitting SW and even throwing him in the sea. All she did was hide herself, crying in shock.

What I don't get is the whole ''Did you see SW?'' Thing. She stayed in front of his house for hours and all. I don't get it. She knew what happened to him!! So, what is this about? Did she believe that SW would survive and come back to home?

I think that is why she is so caring/worried for Sw at the hospital - she was guilty. I knew it. But didn't think it was because she saw the accident but because she knew who killed his father and didn't tell the truth.

Last episode she even showed to JI her painting showing the whole fight between JI and SW that day crazy.gifcrazy.gif

And I'm waiting for subs, but when JI asked her  ''why you didn't say anything?'' she said something like ''Because you looked pitiful''

What?  Oh Somi, guess you really love JI..... and then JI left and she was crying while looking to JI painting, saying ''pitiful''

Soomi, the only pitiful where is SW. dry.gif

And I don't know if I'm hearing things, but I think Somi said SW remembers what JI did. And she even asked JI how he could do it to SW. lol Somi, I ask the same, how could you do it to sw?? 

Archived