[Variety] K-Pop Star (K팝 스타)

Guest fanda4000

Eps. 10 was good, except I feel that 90% of the picks were already determined by the judges beforehand. Reason why is comments such as "you didn't perform very well today, but I'll pick you anyway." I also felt the ending was scripted, but you have to give credit to her for singing a tough song like that in front of everybody.

LOL i had the same thought about the ending too!

anyways i don't understand why they keep on saving Nayoung, liked her in first audition and thats it.

I'm rooting for Seung hoon^^

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rosedust23

And Lee haee...she sounds amazing this round too! It's a totally different genre but she pretty much nailed it. Anyone know the song name (it's by Im Jaebum right? Yunho's idol/respected singer XD) ? Man, I wished Jaejoong would cover this song too (his It's Only My World is amazing in his own way). /side-tracked but yea >///<

Jae sang this song in his solo perf during JYJ's Thanksgiving Live in Dome Concert. When I first heard it, I thought it was familiar because I've heard it before. =)

Watching snippets from this show, my faves are Lee Hayi and Su Pearls. Although, I can say that there are many participants who did have a lot of talent to showcase. 

I'm still not familiar with the structure of the show though. Now that Su Pearls were casted by SM Ent, does that mean that they get to perform as a group or will they compete with each other? 

Guest Animeuver

Jae sang this song in his solo perf during JYJ's Thanksgiving Live in Dome Concert. When I first heard it, I thought it was familiar because I've heard it before. =)

Watching snippets from this show, my faves are Lee Hayi and Su Pearls. Although, I can say that there are many participants who did have a lot of talent to showcase. 

I'm still not familiar with the structure of the show though. Now that Su Pearls were casted by SM Ent, does that mean that they get to perform as a group or will they compete with each other? 

Jae sang it before? OHMYGOD I'm going to dig that clip out.

BTW: @nykole thanks I'd go check the song out, :D

I think it's still pretty much up to BoA whether to keep the group intact or split the group, but by the next casting it'd be down to only 10 places, which means even if they perform in a group, I think not whole of SuPearls will get the seats. As BoA said, it's a survival game, it's obvious now who's likely to be at the top and who's the ones hanging by the thread.

But seeing how BoA love SuPearls, she's most likely keeping the group, since she did in fact saved the last girl for one last shot. :)

Guest omgshinshin

Jae sang it before? OHMYGOD I'm going to dig that clip out.

BTW: @nykole thanks I'd go check the song out, :D

I think it's still pretty much up to BoA whether to keep the group intact or split the group, but by the next casting it'd be down to only 10 places, which means even if they perform in a group, I think not whole of SuPearls will get the seats. As BoA said, it's a survival game, it's obvious now who's likely to be at the top and who's the ones hanging by the thread.

But seeing how BoA love SuPearls, she's most likely keeping the group, since she did in fact saved the last girl for one last shot. :)

Here's Jae's cover of it in their Thanksgiving Concert in Tokyo Dome :)

If you search up the lyrics of the song, you'll see why this song is truly meaningful since he could have easily sang a Japanese song since they're in Japan and it's not like, he isn't fluent in the language. but he chose to sing this song. a famous song by his bandmate's favorite singer. especially after the whole lawsuit fiasco.

Anyways, it's not that BoA likes Supearls that she took Lee Jung Mi. She said that the courage and the guts she had to raise her hand that one last time, how she really wanted it badly, and did a great job of proving her worth in the competition made her re-consider. Because if you noticed, even after a lot of people spoke up, BoA chose not to give her last card to anyone. The fact that she was a SuPearls fan was just an added bonus. (well, that's what my limited Korean told me anyway)

I am excited for next week since we will be seeing 8 more people leave the show and I am really excited to see who the final 10 will be.

As for YG's lineup, the only person I don't like in that lineup is Kim Nayoon. I think she has a great voice, as her Fallin' perf but she just doesn't know how to utilize it. Which is really a shame. So I don't really like her as of now. But for the other ones YG got, I approve. I especially like Lee Sunghoon, Kim Woosung and Lee Gunwoo :)

I wish Lee HaYi will win this contest. While the others seem to shine brightest when they're in a group, she shines best when she's alone. She's like, the whole package. Pretty, great voice and an interesting personality. She'd be a great soloist.

Guest zoddguts

Recent rating for ep 10:

SBS K-Pop Star: 15.0

Compare to competition in same time slot:

MBC I Am a Singer: 7.4

KBS 1 Night 2 Days: 24.1

Souce: http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/02/06/2012020600840.html

How many episode left? Will be interesting to see how much higher the ratings will go especially once 1N2D finishes.

Guest darkaz619

wow 15.0 the PD says that they hope to find the winner by at least April so we got a lot of episode left.

look like Korea is tired of I Am a Singer yeah it be interesting to see how much higher the ratings for KPOP Star.

with the live broadcast format coming in 2 weeks i think rating will go up i hope so that we can get a second season.

Guest Animeuver

Here's Jae's cover of it in their Thanksgiving Concert in Tokyo Dome :)

If you search up the lyrics of the song, you'll see why this song is truly meaningful since he could have easily sang a Japanese song since they're in Japan and it's not like, he isn't fluent in the language. but he chose to sing this song. a famous song by his bandmate's favorite singer. especially after the whole lawsuit fiasco.

Anyways, it's not that BoA likes Supearls that she took Lee Jung Mi. She said that the courage and the guts she had to raise her hand that one last time, how she really wanted it badly, and did a great job of proving her worth in the competition made her re-consider. Because if you noticed, even after a lot of people spoke up, BoA chose not to give her last card to anyone. The fact that she was a SuPearls fan was just an added bonus. (well, that's what my limited Korean told me anyway)

I am excited for next week since we will be seeing 8 more people leave the show and I am really excited to see who the final 10 will be.

As for YG's lineup, the only person I don't like in that lineup is Kim Nayoon. I think she has a great voice, as her Fallin' perf but she just doesn't know how to utilize it. Which is really a shame. So I don't really like her as of now. But for the other ones YG got, I approve. I especially like Lee Sunghoon, Kim Woosung and Lee Gunwoo :)

I wish Lee HaYi will win this contest. While the others seem to shine brightest when they're in a group, she shines best when she's alone. She's like, the whole package. Pretty, great voice and an interesting personality. She'd be a great soloist.

First off, yep, thanks guys because I found the clip and I'm loving it. :)

I know BoA didn't take Lee Jungmi just because she was in SuPearls - you can see how reluctant she is to give that card away, because I think she knew that that round is probably the furthest she can help her. I just predict that she'd still likely put SuPearls together for the next round of eliminations (the battle for the top 10) if they can sing as a group. :) Just rewatched the show with subs...then I realised in the teaser they Michele and Jimin were singing separately. It looks like a solo battle here on. ):

For the top 10, it'd be a jawbreaker if Lee Haee, Park Jimin or Michelle Lee failing the mark! :o Just predicting who'd get the remaining seats. I have a feeling Baek Ayeon would get the seat too. :)

And I realised that Kim Nayoon is like one of the least favourite contestant since epi 10. I guess a lot of people really don't appreciate the fact that she got that precious seat when she didn't do as well as her first ever performance. Actually, come to think of it, my another fave Son Mijin was casted by JYP because he liked her first performance too much to let her go.

I guess Papa Yang saw something in Nayoon that he aims to get out. But as the average listener...I get more and more disappointed with Nayoon as episodes go. Fallin' was great, but after that, her voice just don't seem to work its magic. When she sings, she sounds like she's acting out someone else, and feinting a weird accent/tone. o.o

---

I hope that the second season, if there ever will be one, won't be anytime so soon. I don't want it to end up just like the other singing contest programmes. >///<

wow.. a 15 rating is really good, considering 1 night and 2 days is in the same slot. The other thing is that episode 10 was a bit disappointing compared to episode 9. Once the show changes to a live concert format, the ratings might even get a lot better.

Guest live laugh love

Some more info about the coming weeks of K-Pop Star. (: On the next three episodes we will be seeing a "battle audition" for the top 10 spots. After being trained further the contestants will compete as representatives of the company they were cast by during the final casting audition from the last two weeks. They're going to face off against one another and will be ranked. The contestants who come in first place will be automatically qualified while the contestants who come in third place are eliminated. The contestants who come in second place will have additional 1:1 performances and are only partially qualified, since two more contestants will have to be cut.

Live broadcasts will begin on March 4th after the final 10 are chosen. They originally wanted to begin the live broadcasts on the 26th, but moved it back a week because there was too much content from the battle auditions that they didn't want to edit out. Once we get to the live broadcasts, one contestant will be eliminated each week until the winner is chosen on the last week of April. Viewers will be able to vote for the contestants via text and the staff is currently deciding on how much the viewer votes will count towards the final decisions, although they have already announced that it will not count for more than 40%.

Also, they're currently thinking favorably about releasing songs from the top 10 contestants' performances through music sites.

Guest bokachu

I streamed the show online

Here is the result of the first 2 groups

---The police man: 1st

The band boy (training with SM last ep): 2nd

Kim Woo Sung (guitar guy): 3rd (he is out already. I'm so shock, but his perf is really not impressive today)

---Baek Ah Yeon: 1st

Lee Michelle: 2nd

Diana (the girl sing price tag last ep): 3rd

So only the police man, baek ah yeon sat in the top 10 seats

The 2nd place contestants are put in a private room and waiting. Lee Michelle was in bad condition today I think and her face in the end was so disappointed

I liked episode 11 and it's making me a whole lot more excited for episode 12.

I just finished the episode and wowwwwwww Baek Ah Yeon's performance was amazing. I fell in love with her Haru Haru version, it was just .. amazing. Honestly, at the end of the episode where Taesuk was trying to greet Michelle and she told him off was really rude. I understand that she's upset and that she wants to save her voice for the second round for the second place contestants but she shouldn't had snapped on him like that. He only wanted to greet her and when she told him to not talk to her he had a 'wtf' look on his face and it looked so awkward after that because she's just sitting there being mad with her legs and arms crossed while he's on his phone trying to ignore her. Michelle could have been a little more professional on her side and could have just greeted him back and explained that she needs to save her voice for the next round because her condition wasn't well.

But that's just how I think of it at the end of the day. Other than that, I actually really liked Taesuk's performance but I agree with the placings for first, second, and third. I'm definitely looking forward to next week!

I saw Baek Ah Yeon's cover for Haru Haru and I fell in love. Seriously, I kept replaying the video over and over again and every time I do, I fall even more in love with her <3 Makes me feel like JYP lol. The emotions she invested in it and her execution is just too darn beautiful.

Oh, and I just have to add how interesting Lee HaYi's character is. Still remember in the episode where she saunters into the room where JYP is with such an at ease appearance. Haha she's an odd one but in a good way and she can really sing. I have to say, as the show progresses, I'm really disappointed in Kim NaYoon. I thought she was something in the first episode but it feels like she's dwindling and hasn't impressed me at all. I don't particularly like her performance of Moves Like Jagger either. I personally feel it's a bit forced? To be honest, though, she seems like someone SM would put into a girl group. I can kind of see SM doing that with her. Hmm...I don't know I can just sort of see her in a girl group for some reason....kinda market material. But I wouldn't know. It's all an opinion of mine.

Anyway, I'm a Park JiMin fan girl so I can't wait to see more of her ^^

One more thing to add, BoA you are so cute and sweet <3 Definitely a breath of fresh air between the two fighting ahjusshis lol.

Guest Animeuver

Baek Jiwoong's still in! Oh my god, I was watching in fear, since he was first to go and he's almost fallen out of the charts twice, but that performance was his best so far. I feel so proud, heh. But in actual fact all 3 of them are great! Kim Woosung's got a great voice, but he didn't do it much justice in the performance, sadly. It was regrettable, but I'm sure many already had their eyes on him. :) Wish him much luck in the future!

For Michelle, Baek Ayeon and Diana's round, I'd expected Diana to be out. I didn't even notice her much in the front rounds. No doubt she is probably one of the most pop like singer among the batch, but her voice is average considered to the rest, especially that of her round. It's a cold hearted survival round, and it's obvious who had the higher chance of getting the top 10. And I'm so glad Baek Ayeon won, even though it wasn't really fair since Michelle isn't in top condition, but one cannot overlook the fact that singers have the responsibility to take care of their vocals, especially in this crucial period. She kept cracking at the end, it was regrettable, really. Baek Ayeon did well that performance! It was a stark contrast from her previous performance, and she had better control of her voice than the beginning of the competition. The best part is that she kept true to the root of her voice. I got goosebumps just listening to this performance! You can see how much she wanted the seat. YG's training did magic on her (and look at Papa Yang's proud face. Hehe). Or maybe it's because I love her voice too much. XP

Love the excited high-fives of the two ex-SM 'trainees'; I feel good seeing how my faves are still in the game. :P

But the next epi, oh my god between Lee Haee and Park Jimin. D: NOOO. How can one choose?!

Side note, who did BoA's hair.She looked so old. T___T She's such a gorgeous woman but sometimes I don't get those makeup artistes and stylist. Or maybe I just don't get fashion and style. .__.;;

This was Lee Michelle's session with BoA. Michelle was to perform 그대의 향기 "Your Scent", which is one of my favorite Korean songs of all time.

Lee Michelle coached by BoA

It wasn't the best bits of advice imo. Michelle's rendition of 그대의 향기 was just emotionless. This song needs soul. The fact that her voice wasn't in good shape really just made it worse.

Her snap at the end was something that I can understand. She was really mad at herself for not performing her best and she just wanted a moment alone.

As a bonus, here's a really great performance of Your Scent by Kim Bum Soo. I had hoped Michelle at least watched this before thinking about her presentation.

Kim Bum Soo - Your Scent

This episode was great, I'm surprised of the few numbers of people on this thread. The show is awesome(and I don't usually like audition shows) and there are english subs!

I agree with the ranking for now but this way of choosing isn't exactly fair for everyone. I don't know who is against Ji Min and Lee Haee but she will be eliminated for sure. Even if they don't perform at their best, there is no way the judges will eliminate one of the two. You just have to look at the preview and the talk between the judges, they are all talking about how it will be difficult to choose between the two, we don't even know who the third person is and it was the same for Diana, they don't stand a chance and they could have survived in a different, easier group.

I didn't like Michelle's actions at the end of the show against the boy who tried to talk to her. She totally shut him down. And if she didn't want to talk, why did she talk to the camera right after the decision? Just a few words would have been enough, I'm disappointed...

This episode was great, I'm surprised of the few numbers of people on this thread. The show is awesome(and I don't usually like audition shows) and there are english subs!

I agree with the ranking for now but this way of choosing isn't exactly fair for everyone. I don't know who is against Ji Min and Lee Haee but she will be eliminated for sure. Even if they don't perform at their best, there is no way the judges will eliminate one of the two. You just have to look at the preview and the talk between the judges, they are all talking about how it will be difficult to choose between the two, we don't even know who the third person is and it was the same for Diana, they don't stand a chance and they could have survived in a different, easier group.

I didn't like Michelle's actions at the end of the show against the boy who tried to talk to her. She totally shut him down. And if she didn't want to talk, why did she talk to the camera right after the decision? Just a few words would have been enough, I'm disappointed...

I think michelle shut him down b/c she didn't want to cry... ??

I'm shocked that there are such few numbers of people on this thread too!!! I love this show!!!! :) I got tired of I am A Singer--- so I stopped and switched to this & I'm hookedddd.

I honestly don't even know how Diana even got this far.. and I'm sooooo sad that Kim Woo Sung left~~ :tears:

And I loved all their transformations :) The makeup, hair, and wardrobe really made them look like super stars!! hehe

Slow subs that's why. I'm attempted to watch it without subs right now...

I watched all episodes raw and I watch them again with subs with my sister later. Not having subtitles doesn't really bother me, you understand what's happening and I just can't wait for subs.

Michelle's action is a big thing on AllKpop right now, people are commenting like crazy lol! Michelle didn't want to talk cause the judges told her she should rest her voice when not singing. They told her she has nodules and shouldn't have even greet the judges (which is pretty ridiculous by the way).

The thing is, she just did an interview seconds before and the way she talked to the poor guy was king of rude, you can see it on his face!

Can't believe netizens are criticizing JYP's critique of Baek Ah Yeon. JYP is easily the best teacher of the three judges. This practice clip is so interesting to watch because JYP just finds weaknesses in his singers.

미공개 JYP의 백지웅 1대1 개인레슨

I'm also going to guess that Lee Hayi beat Park Jimin next week just because Hayi was trained by JYP for her performance. :sweatingbullets:

Archived