[Chinese Drama 2011] Bu Bu Jing Xin 步步惊心 (Startling by Each Step)

iledrama

^ thanks!

Yeah i also thought 9th was the flattest character too. Loved everyone else though. Especially happy with Ming Yu. I was surprised that Ruo Xi and her got on good terms so early on or she would've easily became an annoying character!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished this drama within a week after a friend recommended to me. Usually I stay away from Mainland dramas mainly because I hate that there's dubbing in it but BBJX was so good! Everyone's acting was excellent even 14th who's a newbie and whom I've developed a crush on :wub:

Guest bonbons

So here's a confession:

Ok, I didn't think I was going to like this at first. Honestly, I was just trying to find a drama as filler because I started "Skip-Beat!", and while browsing Tudou.com I stumbled upon this drama. At first I didn't want to watch it because most of the Chinese period dramas have terrible acting, are cheesy, or the costumes looked to the point of ridiculous. I don't think I have truly enjoyed a period drama since from days of watching Huan Zhu Ge Ge (this doesn't even count because it's a childhood favorite haha)

But I did...I watched the first episode and then I was hooked. I finished the series in less than a week (I think...4 days?). It's been a few days and I'm still upset over RuoXi and 4th's fate and I'd get upset thinking about it...lol

Everything from costumes, to character development, to story line was amazing. I think one of the best productions I've seen yet.

The cast is wonderful! 14th's debut in this drama was pretty good! I didn't know this was his first acting gig, definitely couldn't tell. Loved almost every character. Felt REALLY bad for 13. Didn't care much for 8, he had it coming.

The soundtrack is very well done, too. I have a few songs on my playlist and listen to them all the time. Makes me sad every time, lol.

I think the only problem I had was how for the span of what, 16 years she was stuck in the past, everyone looked the same. I mean really, not even a wrinkle?! Must be all that tea, huh~

And I heard there will be a BBJX2? Perhaps in modern day and a beautiful ending to our leads?!!!!...*hopeful*

lol i don't know if its a good or bad thing that bbjx made my hopes for cdrama skyrocket xp

Its really as close to perfection as any cdrama's ever gotten for me. There's seriously nothing i can really pick on. I mean wuxia and saejuks i can expect the flawless quality but bbjx was totally out of nowhere (so i learned that there was an amazing book behind it, but the drama could've slaughtered it like Gong) so it just bowled me over without warning.

I love the way it affects me and how its not just on the romantic level. The friend-lines are so touching and well everything is just so down to earth.

Lol i think HZGG and BBJX is both memoriable in different ways. I can't imagine enjoying this drama (with all the complex political stuff) if i was a kid!

Guest jaelyss

lol i don't know if its a good or bad thing that bbjx made my hopes for cdrama skyrocket xp

Its really as close to perfection as any cdrama's ever gotten for me. There's seriously nothing i can really pick on. I mean wuxia and saejuks i can expect the flawless quality but bbjx was totally out of nowhere (so i learned that there was an amazing book behind it, but the drama could've slaughtered it like Gong) so it just bowled me over without warning.

I love the way it affects me and how its not just on the romantic level. The friend-lines are so touching and well everything is just so down to earth.

Lol i think HZGG and BBJX is both memoriable in different ways. I can't imagine enjoying this drama (with all the complex political stuff) if i was a kid!

+1. I like HZGG when I was younger too and it is still one of the best cdramas. I think BBJX does take an appreciation when you are older. It is definitely a classic. I'll definitely rewatch it and then want to cry all over again. Haha.

I loved all the relationships. It is an amazing drama.

Good (?) news for BBJX fans, its pretty much confirmed that BBJX 2 will start filming in october 2012 with most of the original main cast (right now Kevin, LSS are confirmed...probably LGX 14th too.) Nothing else have been released yet, but the owner of Tang Ren and Kevin both spoke about it in an interview and on their weibo.

Honestly, im extremely excited to see all the main casts together again...but sequels are usually a disappointment. Kinda wish they didnt call it BBJX 2 because people will always compare no matter how different the sequel may be. Most people are hoping its a modern drama (i am too lol). Hopefully, the author of BBJX will take major part in scripting/story boarding.

Good (?) news for BBJX fans, its pretty much confirmed that BBJX 2 will start filming in october 2012 with most of the original main cast (right now Kevin, Nicky, LSS are confirmed...probably LGX 14th too.) Nothing else have been released yet, but the owner of Tang Ren and Kevin both spoke about it in an interview and on their weibo.

Honestly, im extremely excited to see all the main casts together again...but sequels are usually a disappointment. Kinda wish they didnt call it BBJX 2 because people will always compare no matter how different the sequel may be. Most people are hoping its a modern drama (i am too lol). Hopefully, the author of BBJX will take major part in scripting/story boarding.

Yup I really hope Tong Hua is involve in the production. I believe if they do the sequel it'll probably pick up from the ending of BBJX. I mean Ruoxi is dead! haha I don't know how else they can do it unless they make another girl or guy randomly end up in the past but then that'd be a spinoff not a sequel?

I dunno about the company but at least it's in the hand of the better company! I only have faith in the writer. It's the story that makes the biggest difference although the beautiful imagery and great acting can make or break it as well. Will look forward =]

I'm not looking forward to the so-called sequel, and yes, this is coming from a diehard BBJX fan. It's so obvious that they are doing it because it is so popular. They don't even have a concept story. C'mon, no need to force anything out :unsure:..

On a sidenote, Nicky told the press a few days ago that he did receive an invitation but nothing is confirmed; there is no story yet, they don't know whether it will be a series or a film, ancient or modern.. Tangren basically has nothing in mind. Nicky himself told the press that he don't know if he will be able to be part of it in the first place. His schedule for 2012 is almost fully booked..

I agree it was probably brought up because of BBJX's popularity. I guess will just have to wait and see.. I will sure give it a try if it comes out though. It will not spoil the good experience of the original if it turns out bad because we just expect that with sequels. Rather then wasting money and resources like that I think the production company should invest in some more novels like BBJX will probably be a hit too. I think I like that direction! Need to stop with the re-dos and Chinese Version of blah and blah.. All turn out disappointing.

Hey can anyone help me with something? I never really understand 4th's birth situation. I know he and 14th are brothers but I just don't get why their mom is always on 14th side. Is he really her son? I know there is some situation like 13th's wives how Lu Wu's daughter is being raised by his other wife and is her daughter in name. Just curious if I just happen to miss the obvious.

I'm not looking forward to the so-called sequel, and yes, this is coming from a diehard BBJX fan. It's so obvious that they are doing it because it is so popular. They don't even have a concept story. C'mon, no need to force anything out :unsure:..

On a sidenote, Nicky told the press a few days ago that he did receive an invitation but nothing is confirmed; there is no story yet, they don't know whether it will be a series or a film, ancient or modern.. Tangren basically has nothing in mind. Nicky himself told the press that he don't know if he will be able to be part of it in the first place. His schedule for 2012 is almost fully booked..

You're right, I don't know why I put Nicky on the confirmed list :huh: I guess for now they're just trying to get all the main cast back before they actually plan out the story. Nicky doesn't seem like the type who would just take up any role, especially if its not well-written so he's probably waiting for more info before making his decision...if he's extremely busy I think he would at least make a guest appearance because he's good friends w/ the cast. Im sure Kevin is so quick to participate because he really enjoyed working with the people on the BBJX set. I think they should do another one of Tong Hua's novels (i havent read the others though) ...but only if the BBJX cast is suitable for those roles.

Hey can anyone help me with something? I never really understand 4th's birth situation. I know he and 14th are brothers but I just don't get why their mom is always on 14th side. Is he really her son? I know there is some situation like 13th's wives how Lu Wu's daughter is being raised by his other wife and is her daughter in name. Just curious if I just happen to miss the obvious.

Sorry I don't remember much so other members will probably be able to give you a better answer. I THINK its because the mother always wanted them have a good brother relationship, but she's strict towards 4th because she knows that he has a strong desire for the throne and may eventually end up hurting/betraying his younger brother. I guess a part of her blames 4th for not cherishing his relationship with his brother. There was a scene where she mentioned that she loved both sons equally and just wanted 4th to be a good role model for 14th (dunno if its from the heart or not). Also because 14th is much younger, he appears to be the more innocent and caring one while 4th is a bit aloof and keeps to himself. Thats my take on it but maybe im forgetting something :vicx:

Guest Simpleton

Does anyone know if there are any official/unofficial BBJX sold online? Please and thank you!

I just want to keep a piece of this beautiful drama as a memory on my wall...I haven't fallen in love with a Chinese drama since Huan Zhu Ge Ge...now all I want to do to focus on learning Mandarin so I can appreciate the book series! :]

Guest jaelyss

I agree it was probably brought up because of BBJX's popularity. I guess will just have to wait and see.. I will sure give it a try if it comes out though. It will not spoil the good experience of the original if it turns out bad because we just expect that with sequels. Rather then wasting money and resources like that I think the production company should invest in some more novels like BBJX will probably be a hit too. I think I like that direction! Need to stop with the re-dos and Chinese Version of blah and blah.. All turn out disappointing.

The Emperor and their mother briefly talked about this in the drama, but she has always favoured 14th. There are a couple of possible reasons for this. When 4th was born, he was raised by another concubine/wife of the king who was "ahead" of his mother. This is customary in rich Chinese households at the time. This happens to 13th's daughter as well. The birth mother does see the child, the day to day raising of the child is done by another wife. By the time 14th came along, she had ascended in position and was allowed to spoil and dote on 14th. 

Of course this doesn't explain why she hated 4th so much. Maybe she never saw him as her true son, maybe those years watching him be another's son made her resentful, who knows! I think 4th did his very best to love his mother, but the Emperor did point out that 4th wouldn't be so cold if their mother wasn't the same to him growing up. Their mother was one of the few characters I couldn't stand or even relate to it BBJX.

As for the sequel, I will give it a try. If Nicky is not part of it, I'm not looking forward to it as much since he is a big part of why I liked BBJX in the first place. I think the author will be somewhat involved, but there is so little we know about what the story is. I like the cast so I'll try it out, we'll see. 

Guest novemberbaby

I think Tong Hua will be part of the production team for the sequel. For one, it was her writing that they used to create such a great production. I think Tang Ren would be smart enough to keep her on board. Besides, judging from the interactions on weibo, Tong Hua and the cast and production team seem to be on very good terms. :)

I'm just hoping Shishi and Nicky's characters will end up together in the sequel and not torture the poor audience again. If not, I don't mind seeing Nicky and Shishi end up together in real-life, haha. Might as well, with the way Nicky practically holds onto Shishi each time they appear for the award ceremonies.

^

I read somewhere that Tong Hua wrote a modern love story before and they said chances they might use it for the modern BBJX not sure if its true. But I also read that so far confirmed for the modern time are 4th/Nicky, 8th/Kevin and RX/Liu Shi Shi but 13th and 14th are not yet confirmed yet.

Guest novemberbaby

^

I read somewhere that Tong Hua wrote a modern love story before and they said chances they might use it for the modern BBJX not sure if its true. But I also read that so far confirmed for the modern time are 4th/Nicky, 8th/Kevin and RX/Liu Shi Shi but 13th and 14th are not yet confirmed yet.

At one of the recent award ceremonies though, Lin Gengxin mentioned that he's already set away time for the sequel. All they need to do is let him know when filming will start. Not too sure about Yuan Hong though.

Agreed. I'm dying for a sequel, but I'd want it to have some well thought-out plot and not put the characters to waste. For example, Palace 2 came out recently and I just felt like the whole thing was thrown together with little thought on plot development. I'd love to see all the BBJX cast back together though...sigh.

I liked this drama too. I felt it had really deep meaning in the words and feeling portrayed by the main leads. It was especially painful for me to watch the last two episodes but that really summed up everything, and I think the last part is what makes me love the drama to the end. I believe it will leave a deep impression on me and give after feelings. At first, I thought this drama is exactly like Gong xin yi suo but turned out differently, really glad they have different genre, and different understanding when I am watching.

Have to rely on listening to the ost for now to get over this drama in my mind. Hmmmmmm.....really hope there will be part 2 just like the upcoming Gong aka Palace.

Agreed. I'm dying for a sequel, but I'd want it to have some well thought-out plot and not put the characters to waste. For example, Palace 2 came out recently and I just felt like the whole thing was thrown together with little thought on plot development. I'd love to see all the BBJX cast back together though...sigh.

haha I think that is the producer's problem. I have a bit more faith in production team of BBJX since I enjoy the majority of their projects. Just realized not too long ago feels like I had hit a gold mine so I will now religiously follow Karen's productions even with the risk of seeing the same faces more than a few times. BBJX completely exceeded my expectations. I don't think I can ever stop raving about it lmao.

Thank you jyoisu & jaelyss for the fill in!

Guest Raindeer

I can't believe this drama has only 5 pages in Soompi. I just got on board with this drama and have yet to finish it. I know the ending but I still need to watch it. I love Nicky in this drama, he looks so good as a man from the ancient times.

Love everything about this production, the acting, clothes, scenery, the subtle hints of jokes.

Archived