[Chinese Drama 2011] Bu Bu Jing Xin 步步惊心 (Startling by Each Step)

iledrama

I can't believe this drama has only 5 pages in Soompi. I just got on board with this drama and have yet to finish it. I know the ending but I still need to watch it. I love Nicky in this drama, he looks so good as a man from the ancient times.

Love everything about this production, the acting, clothes, scenery, the subtle hints of jokes.

Yeah I had the same reaction as you! But soompi is the only place I visit other than the usual.

I've seen Nicky before in another one of his dramas but not really paid him any attention. Plus he looks totally different. He is fresh in my eyes and really love his character. Actually I love how all the princes actually have this regal aura. I don't know how that is since almost all of the Qing Dynasty dramas I've watched in the past centered around a younger cast can't seem to exude that kind of vibe other than the king =/

With the exception of 10th, I'd say all of them can hold up the honorific of 爷. Otherwise I'd usually just find it ridiculous and not fitting.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Raindeer

Yeah I had the same reaction as you! But soompi is the only place I visit other than the usual.

I've seen Nicky before in another one of his dramas but not really paid him any attention. Plus he looks totally different. He is fresh in my eyes and really love his character. Actually I love how all the princes actually have this regal aura. I don't know how that is since almost all of the Qing Dynasty dramas I've watched in the past centered around a younger cast can't seem to exude that kind of vibe other than the king =/

With the exception of 10th, I'd say all of them can hold up the honorific of 爷. Otherwise I'd usually just find it ridiculous and not fitting.

I've never watched Nicky but I knew of him because he dated Ada Choi back in the day. I agree, they all exude a regal aura. 10th gives a good comedy break from the otherwise seriousness edge of the drama. I love how it's done so that they aren't portrayed as entirely evil and how there is a reason behind their competitiveness.

I never actually paid attention to the Qing dramas for the history as usually I will focus on the *relationships* but this drama actually made me go look up the real history of Kangxi and Yongzheng. Have already introduced this to two of my friends and they are HOOKED!

• 1 month later...
Guest Justalilodreamer

For those who are interested, Liu Shi Shi, Eddie Peng, Hu Ge, and Han Dong are casted in Da Mo Yao ...also known as Ballad of the Desert, another one of Tong Hua's famous novels. They just started filming not too long ago and some official photos have been released.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Da_Mo_Yao

Its also said that Nicky, Kevin, and most of the BBJX casts have agreed to return for BBJX2 which is going to be a movie instead of a drama. This is probably just a rumor, but the movie will have a modern setting about the prince's battle over business stuff ?

Guest itrayya

i just finished watching it.

i'm so bummed out.

i need a few hours to let it sink it. will return to add more to this post.

oh em gee.

darn you Fate!!!!

EDIT:

one quote that really struck me is the one that 13th Prince says to RX when he sends her away to 14th Prince,

"when the grass is green next year, old friends will no longer look the same.'

(episode 33, viki.com english subtitles.)

how sad is that?!

it is destiny, they are not meant to be together. because if they were, when she saw him at the end... it would have been then. if not, when? : (

and regarding YuTan, i know that a lot of fans are scared of that idea of how she was killed. you guys have to remember that this is like.... 300 years ago, they have different methods of things.

fans need to remember that having concubines didn't mean that the husband himself wanted them all, when the Emperor gives you a wife... it can be a gift or a way to having connections with varies royalty and tribes. and you can't say 'no' to the Emperor.

thank gosh the girl knew her history. imagine if you where sent back in time and had no clue because you didn't pay attention in class! she knew who becomes Emperor but she doesn't really know the detail and the loss along the way.

there's so much to discuss without giving up the whole story to current viewers, ahhh!

^ i do agree how the beauty of the story not in knowing what will happen, but being inevitably worried to death :lol:

It was so sad seeing RuoXi get 'heart sick' from being emotionally tied to all the historical figures that were a part of the political struggles it's like watching history from a totally different pov and it really wrung me dry (tears-wise) because I dunno, i just was never too engaged watching politically charged dramas it's like something my dad enjoys hehe -_- But even he thought BBJX was amazing.

& what happen to Yu Tan was scary.

Guest Magina88

This is really one of the drama tat will make u start tearing. The sad fate that toys with the lives of RX and the princes.

I do have a small request...anyone has the dvd version to download? Links at page 1 are dead =(

Guest kobashi

I was browsing this forum last week and came across this thread. After reading all the raving comments on here, I decided to give this series a try and I am so glad I did. This is my first real Mainland drama I have watched and it was absolutely stunning, the plot, the cast, the costumes, the set. Love the relationship between RX and the 4th prince. Too bad the ending was sad although I guess it makes it more memorable.

Guest angelzstar

I just finished watching this drama with my parents last week. The beginning was so funny, but then it got so sad towards the end. She tried so hard, but fate is fate :( I actually don't think the ending at the very end was that sad because it actually gave off a sense of hope for a potential future for them.

While I pretty much liked everyone's acting in the drama, I was more attracted to the 13th prince's acting. He really portrayed well as a noble and loyal good friend.

I'm not supposed to be on soompi (or use the internet for that matter haha *sweats*), but I just started Bu Bu Jing Xin yesterday and needed a place to say how hooked I am on the drama so far. I'm only on episode 7. Will probably need a month or so to finish the entire series since I have exams, even though it's so tempting. To be honest, I didn't expect to like the drama because I'm not too big a fan of period drama but I adore Liu Shi Shi ever since I saw her in some dramas with HuGe <3 Thought I would try out the first episode and got hooked right away! Liu Shi Shi is so adorbs <3 I love the random modern/english phrases RuoXi adds in and everyone is just like 'what is she talking about' lol! My only problem with this drama is Kevin Cheng. I'm not his biggest fan and he....well, his acting as eighth prince just really, really annoys me. Truthfully I wish they had chosen someone other than Kevin Cheng. I have a feeling something will develop between RuoXi and YinZhen. I hope it's soon because personally for me, it's a torture to watch Kevin Cheng T_T

I have to say, I think period dramas from mainland China are the ones I even consider trying. The TVB ones just disappoints me a lot lately. :vicx:

And oh God, what is this I see about Liu Shi Shi + Hu Ge in another drama together?!? Please, please, please let them play couples. So many dramas and never lovers.

I'm not supposed to be on soompi (or use the internet for that matter haha *sweats*), but I just started Bu Bu Jing Xin yesterday and needed a place to say how hooked I am on the drama so far. I'm only on episode 7. Will probably need a month or so to finish the entire series since I have exams, even though it's so tempting. To be honest, I didn't expect to like the drama because I'm not too big a fan of period drama but I adore Liu Shi Shi ever since I saw her in some dramas with HuGe <3 Thought I would try out the first episode and got hooked right away! Liu Shi Shi is so adorbs <3 I love the random modern/english phrases RuoXi adds in and everyone is just like 'what is she talking about' lol! My only problem with this drama is Kevin Cheng. I'm not his biggest fan and he....well, his acting as eighth prince just really, really annoys me. Truthfully I wish they had chosen someone other than Kevin Cheng. I have a feeling something will develop between RuoXi and YinZhen. I hope it's soon because personally for me, it's a torture to watch Kevin Cheng T_T

I have to say, I think period dramas from mainland China are the ones I even consider trying. The TVB ones just disappoints me a lot lately. :vicx:

And oh God, what is this I see about Liu Shi Shi + Hu Ge in another drama together?!? Please, please, please let them play couples. So many dramas and never lovers.

AHHH JEN!!! OMG IT'S YOU!!!

haha i'm a bit surprise seeing someone i know in this thread. Yeah I know what you mean about needing a place to vent. You got a long way to go girl! Here's a present *throws pack of tissues*

Aw you don't like 8th? haha it's ok, my fav characters are actually 13th and 14th and they don't even get love lines with her. You're better off than me. But I don't think 8th and 4th is suppose to be your loveable male leads anyways if you know what I mean? They're the more complicated characters. I like 4th better though. He's kinda funny sometimes.

The only chinese drama I watch is wuxia fiction and historical fiction and the occasional fairy demon kind. Can't get a decent dose with Korean dramas or Taiwan. I am such a boy when it comes to wuxia.

I still can't quite pull away from BBJX even though i've finished watching for like a few months already. this is what i called hooked haha! and it's really really good. It's got to be one of the most memorable dramas I've ever watched inclusive of all countries korea, china, taiwan, tvb, Gosh I can't stop gushing about it. I heard the original book was a bestseller and so I looked into the author Tong Hua's other works and found out that the same company making BBJX is going to do another one of her books Da Mo Yao (this is the one you mention) so I went and read that one too thank goodness for audio books since i can't imagine reading any chinese literature work with my 2nd grade literacy and man the woman goes poetic sometimes :wacko: Tong Hua is amazing. I hope they make ALL her books into dramas. I especially like her newest work Ceng Xu Nuo (Once Promised?) but I don't think mainland dramas can handle it yet with the third rate CGI. I am really looking forward to the new drama. I guess I will wait another few months for it to come out and then go camp in that thread. I think I just turned into a Tong Hua fangirl. Super crazy one :lol:

raini, haha I can tell how excited you are. damn it, woman, stop it...getting me excited to discuss too and I'm not supposed to be distracted from my exams. just kidding! keep it going =P it's kind of hard to make me cry, so we'll see if I'll need the tissues. I'm not cold, I swear. It's just romance don't make me cry easily unless it's the family/friendship kind of love....then I weep like a five year old who lost her lollipop in the sand XD

well, I guess 8th prince as a character is ok. I have a hard time being objective though because Kevin Cheng's acting turns me off ever since...a long time ago lol. I try not to filter in my bias against him, but it's hard. I guess another thing is I don't see the chemistry between 8th prince and RuoXi. Something's missing for me. I have the urge to look away whenever 8th prince comes on...but I'm only on episode 8 (8 now because I just finished 7 an hour ago hehehe study can wait...I suppose!). I actually like 4th prince...don't hate him (yet?) and you're right, he is quite funny sometimes, mostly when he is with RuoXi. I'm pretty early in the drama but some things that got to me was when RuoXi said something along the lines of we've been taught in the modern era that hard work and effort allows us to shape our own fate yet in the forbidden palace, freedom is taken away and fate is dictated by one man's decree T_T that's really....sad, especially the way Liu Shi Shi executes the line imo. Being taught that my whole life, I just can't see losing my freedom and having someone else dictate my life like this. Also when she mentioned how she would be consider a scholar back in her era, but in Qing dynasty, she's an illiterate...I kind of chuckled at the scene seeing how true it was haha. Anyway, those two things really stuck out to me so far.

Oh, I actually love 10th prince too! He is so funny and sincere. It's too bad RuoXi didn't return his feelings but I personally think he would be a great married couple with MingYu. I like 13th too...I haven't gotten to know much about 14th yet. It's kind of weird to see Yuan Hong and Liu Shi Shi not playing lovers haha...the dramas I've seen of them they always have some romance going on. I'm glad to see them working with different people though. It's refreshing and not repetitive.

*high fives* me too! I mean, about the wuxia and fairy/demon thing lol. I actually like those fairy/demon *shies* which is why Journey to the West is forever my favourite fairy/demon genre. Eh, not really sure what genre that is actually. I don't watch too much wuxia because I'm quite picky and imo, mainland China does far better justice to wuxia than TVB. TVB butchers it into nonsense T_T (I heard something about JinYong forbidding TVB to remake his stories)

About Da Mo Yao....do you mind spoiling to me who she ends up with in the end? *cough* so I can prepare my heart if Hu Ge dies alone =P I'm a fan girl for Hu Ge XD

raini, haha I can tell how excited you are. damn it, woman, stop it...getting me excited to discuss too and I'm not supposed to be distracted from my exams. just kidding! keep it going =P it's kind of hard to make me cry, so we'll see if I'll need the tissues. I'm not cold, I swear. It's just romance don't make me cry easily unless it's the family/friendship kind of love....then I weep like a five year old who lost her lollipop in the sand XD

well, I guess 8th prince as a character is ok. I have a hard time being objective though because Kevin Cheng's acting turns me off ever since...a long time ago lol. I try not to filter in my bias against him, but it's hard. I guess another thing is I don't see the chemistry between 8th prince and RuoXi. Something's missing for me. I have the urge to look away whenever 8th prince comes on...but I'm only on episode 8 (8 now because I just finished 7 an hour ago hehehe study can wait...I suppose!). I actually like 4th prince...don't hate him (yet?) and you're right, he is quite funny sometimes, mostly when he is with RuoXi. I'm pretty early in the drama but some things that got to me was when RuoXi said something along the lines of we've been taught in the modern era that hard work and effort allows us to shape our own fate yet in the forbidden palace, freedom is taken away and fate is dictated by one man's decree T_T that's really....sad, especially the way Liu Shi Shi executes the line imo. Being taught that my whole life, I just can't see losing my freedom and having someone else dictate my life like this. Also when she mentioned how she would be consider a scholar back in her era, but in Qing dynasty, she's an illiterate...I kind of chuckled at the scene seeing how true it was haha. Anyway, those two things really stuck out to me so far.

Oh, I actually love 10th prince too! He is so funny and sincere. It's too bad RuoXi didn't return his feelings but I personally think he would be a great married couple with MingYu. I like 13th too...I haven't gotten to know much about 14th yet. It's kind of weird to see Yuan Hong and Liu Shi Shi not playing lovers haha...the dramas I've seen of them they always have some romance going on. I'm glad to see them working with different people though. It's refreshing and not repetitive.

*high fives* me too! I mean, about the wuxia and fairy/demon thing lol. I actually like those fairy/demon *shies* which is why Journey to the West is forever my favourite fairy/demon genre. Eh, not really sure what genre that is actually. I don't watch too much wuxia because I'm quite picky and imo, mainland China does far better justice to wuxia than TVB. TVB butchers it into nonsense T_T (I heard something about JinYong forbidding TVB to remake his stories)

About Da Mo Yao....do you mind spoiling to me who she ends up with in the end? *cough* so I can prepare my heart if Hu Ge dies alone =P I'm a fan girl for Hu Ge XD

For Da Mo Yao, she ended up with

Eddie's character and Hu Ge's character disappeared after saving Eddie's character. Eddie's character wanted to leave the palace but he knows that the king won't let him so he wanted to fake his death at the war or something and ended up being poisoned and it was deadly and Hu Ge's character decided to save him and used the poison on himself causing both his legs to not be able to walk forever. Eddie's character is save and he ended up leaving with Shi Shi character while Hu Ge ended up alone

:(

I read that the SARFF or something wanted Tang Ren to change the ending to match up with the history ending, so now there is alot of pressure on the script writers, producers and the companies. If they go with the book ending, they might displease the government, if they go with the government ending, many fans of Eddie might be richard simmons off so yeah its a hard situation

Jen I don't think I ever got too into 8th prince. I think it's because sometimes you can't really tell if he's genuine either. It's just his character. Even with 14th I always suspect that he doesn't treat him sincerely. I totally get why you like 10th he's really the most sincere and well he's basically an idiot and even if he's not as smart and conniving as his brothers he at least doesn't take detours with his feelings. If he's happy he's happy, if he doesn't like someone he makes it very obvious. No wonder Ruoxi and him get along. haha I'm surprise you don't hate Mingyu since she's kind of an annoying brat, but they do make perfect match don't they? Haha I always think the bickering between Ruoxi and 14th is the most colorful. I don't know who said (maybe 4th?) that if they ever saw them fight, one gets all red and angry and the other is crying like no tomorrow. It's kind of funny but it really shows how much they care about each other and they're not even a couple, but it's totally hard not to ship those two :wub:

lol & I promise you you'll cry. Yeah!! I totally know what you mean. I am more of the non-love-related cryer haha. I think because the story follows Ruoxi's mentality that's why it's more emotional? She's not everyone's lover, but if it's a family or a friend, you will cry seeing what happen to everyone that means so much to her. Like her sister, she's not even her sister's 'real' sister but the care and attention everyone give her she cherishes with her whole heart. I mean in the Qing Dynasty, in a time that she has no true blood family, it's basically made up of the relationships she builds with those around her and so no matter what happen politically, she will be immediately affected. Poor girl :tears:

Immortal_Angel It's good i love both guy characters so much. I remember somewhere reporting that the issue with the ending got settled? I can't imagine it will mess up history in any way since history is just a written thing. They could always make it an open ending. I kinda thought that BBJX's ending was kinda open, not in whether or not she died, but whether or not she was actually went back in time. For all I know, she could've seen those historical objects and those people and just dreamed about them. I heard in the book she just died and that was it. They never followed her back into the present. I have such high expectation for DMY since it's the same production team as BBJX.

Immortal_Angel, thanks for the spoiler haha ^^

raini, you're right, I have no idea what 8th prince is thinking. He's kinda shady imo and I can't really tell if he truly likes her. If he does, it doesn't feel like it to me and I just don't want them to work out, also because of the sister. I saw the episode where 4th prince forced a kiss on RX. The CG got me laughing the entire time lol. I felt so bad because it was supposed to be intense. 14th is 4th's biological brother, if I remember correctly? The numbers gets me confused sometimes haha. So far in, I actually really enjoy the friendship between RX and 13th. It's strange how things progress backwards, you kinda see, as RX gets more adapted to Qing Dynasty, the modern way of thinking kinda gets lost. She still retains it, but it's not as strong as in the beginning. Though it's totally understandable given the era she's in. haha yeah, I cry more for friendship/family because it's relatable because sometimes love is dramatized greatly in dramas and fiction, it doesn't feel real, but it's good entertainment nevertheless 8)

Guest jaelyss

Immortal_Angel, thanks for the spoiler haha ^^

raini, you're right, I have no idea what 8th prince is thinking. He's kinda shady imo and I can't really tell if he truly likes her. If he does, it doesn't feel like it to me and I just don't want them to work out, also because of the sister. I saw the episode where 4th prince forced a kiss on RX. The CG got me laughing the entire time lol. I felt so bad because it was supposed to be intense. 14th is 4th's biological brother, if I remember correctly? The numbers gets me confused sometimes haha. So far in, I actually really enjoy the friendship between RX and 13th. It's strange how things progress backwards, you kinda see, as RX gets more adapted to Qing Dynasty, the modern way of thinking kinda gets lost. She still retains it, but it's not as strong as in the beginning. Though it's totally understandable given the era she's in. haha yeah, I cry more for friendship/family because it's relatable because sometimes love is dramatized greatly in dramas and fiction, it doesn't feel real, but it's good entertainment nevertheless 8)

Are you still really early on in the series? I think as you watch it more closely (or a couple of times like I have), you get a sense of 8th's character. I feel sorry for him to be honest, but he is not a character I would be sympathetic with. I think he does like RX, but I think there is a good deal of transference going on there. She also didn't really like him all that much. 

The CGI is so bad in that scene and others. Thank goodness the actors are good.

14th is 4th's bio brother but they didn't grow up together and their mother only had a hand in raising 14th and thus prefers him. 

This show has a lot of friendship/family drama especially with 13th. I love the RX, 4th and 13th dynamic. 

Ok, so does anyone have any substantial news on the sequel? I don't read Chinese, but I did some googling and there was one report that said they would start filming in August. Not sure how substantial that is. I thought Nicky had a lot of projects going on this year? 

Looking forward to the other Tong Hua adaptation too.

Yeah I got the feeling that 8th suffered from Ruolan's lack of attention so he dumped all his attention onto her sister. It's kind of sad, but in the end, it's very clear that he truly cares about her. Agree too that Ruoxi might've loved him, but not so deep as to not be able to take it back. She was really trying to save him by trying to see if he'll let go of his ambitions for her, and in turn try to change fate, but it was useless in the end. I really love watching the bro-mistry between 4th-13 and 8th-14th-10th-9th it's very touching that even though they are split, there is the ocassional 4th-14th esp if Ruoxi is in the scene.

haha yeah 2012 is full of Tong Hua. I actually prefer the producers to lay off a bit longer. There's 3 books in production to be adapted into drama atm. As long as they don't touch Ceng Xu Nuo I'll be happy. Need to save that for a company with better CGI. I will cry if they mess that up. Plus if they do it now, can't hope for future redos. I mean it's not Jin Yong or Gu Long <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Love reading this thread and all your views on BBJX.

I really wish there were more like it. Can someone recommend similar dramas, or other good dramas. thanks.

Are you still really early on in the series? I think as you watch it more closely (or a couple of times like I have), you get a sense of 8th's character. I feel sorry for him to be honest, but he is not a character I would be sympathetic with. I think he does like RX, but I think there is a good deal of transference going on there. She also didn't really like him all that much. 

The CGI is so bad in that scene and others. Thank goodness the actors are good.

14th is 4th's bio brother but they didn't grow up together and their mother only had a hand in raising 14th and thus prefers him. 

This show has a lot of friendship/family drama especially with 13th. I love the RX, 4th and 13th dynamic. 

Ok, so does anyone have any substantial news on the sequel? I don't read Chinese, but I did some googling and there was one report that said they would start filming in August. Not sure how substantial that is. I thought Nicky had a lot of projects going on this year? 

Looking forward to the other Tong Hua adaptation too.

There isn't any confirmed date for when the modern day sequel will be filming yet. I believe the storyline/script is still in writing and they are trying to put it together. Nicky's schedule is pretty much pack this year and probably next that's what I read also Liu Shi Shi and Kevin Cheng too. But I think they might want to wait till the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013 to start filming cause right now there is alot of dramas with them in it and I think they don't want viewers to get too tired of the actors and actresses yet. But most of the characters mention whenever they want to film, they will free up their schedules.

It is mention that the sequel might be base on business world where the brothers will be competing against each other (not sure if this is true)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost near the end for this series...lol took me so long to watch it because of distractions but I don't know. Nearing the end, I'm starting to feel withdrawal symptoms so I'm prolonging it. It'll be nice to hear if there's a sequel but geez, LSS is so busy. She's everywhere...I wonder if the poor girl gets any break at all?

about the author's other story - I know DMY is a long way from airing but I was reading the summary on this english website and being the Hu Ge fan that I am, I guess I'm in pain right now...lol. as a fan, it would have been really, really nice to see him as HQB. from the character description, he fits it so much that it hurts imo. anyway, will be looking forward to it. wonder if they will make an adaptation for her other story too?

Archived