Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Happiest 11th Debut Anniversary to our actor Joo Won :highonflowers:

Studio Santa Claus Entertainment posted 6 pics on their IG to commemorate Joo Won's anniversary^^ 

spacer.png

I was kinda hoping maybe there would be something planned, like a small "hello" event with Joo Won but he's probably too busy... better not to expect anything, though the day isn't over yet^^ 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Calli said:

I was kinda hoping maybe there would be something planned, like a small "hello" event with Joo Won but he's probably too busy... better not to expect anything, though the day isn't over yet^^ 

If it's true I was a little sad since he never indicates his face and I wonder why it will be in the photos that he publishes he hides his face also that now he will not have any event it makes me sad I think the same thing happened on his tenth anniversary 

And if I see photos, he published his agency, I think he is the only actor who has done that to him.

• Like 2

Congratulations to our favourite Joo Won on his 11th debut anniversary. :partyblob:

E3a2_3iVoAotqeL?format=jpg&name=small

This man has such a beautiful, friendly, charming, fantastic, lovely, awesome, sweet smile. I hope it remains on his face always.

Wish Moon Jun Won all kind of beneficial success in this world that will make him a better man to among all the people he's surrounded by. 

And hope he knows his fans are rooting for him..always ... :heart4:

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

This man has such a beautiful, friendly, charming, fantastic, lovely, awesome, sweet smile. I hope it remains on his face always.

I love the two pics you posted next to each other so so much @flutterby06. And I'll second your wish with all my heart: may he always have plenty of reasons to smile from the heart :please:

I hope he'll always find joy and purpose in pursuing his passion. And in knowing that he has fans who love and appreciate him a whole lot~ and who can't wait for his next projects. And for his updates, however rarely they come^^ 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Joo Won just posted an insta story to say "thank you" for the gifts he received today for his anniversary :fullofhearts:

spacer.png

I'm so glad he received such lovely gifts. Makes me wish us international fans could have sent something too. Maybe next year^^

edit:

I know everyone can probably translate Joo Won's caption easily but I thought it's so sweet that he said "it's already my 11th anniversary" and "Take care of your health, everyone. I miss you" 

Plus the ton of hearts he included :wub:

He also wrote that he's working hard on the shoot and "let's meet". Hopefully soon^^

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Congrats to one of my respected actors on his debut anniversary!

d9ad3bfdc2fcfdb4b1e936751ecd3dd5.gif 

Joo Won, one of the top Korean actors, with a versatile portfolio and distinctive face / voice. 

My favourite role of his is Park Shi On in Good Doctor, where he truly shines. Have seen him also in Alice, Yong Pal, My Sassy Girl (dropped), Gaksital.

In honor of his day, is there something I should watch that I haven't? :D 

btw I've never seen anyone do that many caption writings hahahaha. Wow. Kudos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

Congrats to JW on the 11th anniversary of his TV debut! :hooray2:

74376c823f96dfa91f92a382cf2ab57a.jpg

I thought I'd share this awesome tribute by sachishioyama on Instagram. She's been releasing one of these chibis a day, but here's the final composite. Can you tell who's who?

7df74e628fef15eda9ed5d3551a1a70f.jpg

Personally, looking back at all the different characters JW's played, I'm struck by two things: his versatility and his humanity.

Versatility because each of his roles has a distinct personality; despite playing two doctors, two (or three, depending on how you count) chaebol heirs, and four(!) cops, there's no cookie-cutter feeling to them. You would never mix up Park Si On and Kim Tae Hyun, or Hwang Tae Hui and Park Jin Gyeom - and those last two are actually quite similar in personality (at least based on my guesses at their MBTI types), so that's saying something!

As for humanity, well, that's because JW always brings something to the role that makes his characters feel like real, fleshed out people. Even in cases where the character was originally a stock caricature (e.g. Cha Yoo Jin, Gyun Woo, etc.), JW always somehow allowed us to look underneath the surface to see a real, living human being - and that, more than anything, is a testament to his skill as an actor.

So here's to eleven years' worth of some of the most fascinating and compelling performances I've seen in K-drama to date - and here's hoping we'll have plenty more years to go!

280de08623351660514bb577663bf368.jpg

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, agenth said:

@agenth, so nice to see you here and to read your lovely post :waves:

You've already covered 5 out of his 8 dramas^^ 

Good Doctor really was an incredible drama and role for Joo Won. I'm so glad he accepted it back then despite already being crazy busy with filming Catch Me and having to prepare for Ghost (and having finished 7th GCS just 3 months before). Such scripts and such characters don't come around that often... and he really got a chance to showcase what an incredibly gifted actor he is. And to think he was only 25/26 at the time...

Park Si On has a very special place in Joo Won's heart, too. I think it was on KBS's "Room of Memory" last December where he was asked what his favorite or the most memorable character he has played so far was and he replied "Park Si On". 

I really enjoyed watching him in his debut role in Baker King, maybe you would like to give it a try?

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Personally, looking back at all the different characters JW's played, I'm struck by two things: his versatility and his humanity.

You put that so beautifully @kittyna. I read your post 3 times already^^ and even though I've known Joo Won for a much shorter time than you, those are the things about him that stand out to me the most, too.

I think his warmth and his empathy (part of his humanity) are a vital part of why he is such an outstanding actor and beautiful human being... he understands emotion really well and knows how to convey it convincingly; and distinctly for each one of his characters. 

I really can't wait to see what he has in store for us in Carter and hopefully another drama soon *prettyplease* 

btw: somebody on twitter pointed out that Joo Won posted exactly 11 hearts in his "thank you" insta story from today. He really is the sweetest :wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Calli said:

btw: somebody on twitter pointed out that Joo Won posted exactly 11 hearts in his "thank you" insta story from today. He really is the sweetest :wub:

Aw...that's cute! Thanks for letting us know that :)

By the way, am I the only one who cracked up upon noticing that one of the gifts was a bottle of rosé? :lol: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, Calli said:

I love the two pics you posted next to each other so so much @flutterby06. And I'll second your wish with all my heart: may he always have plenty of reasons to smile from the heart 

I hope he'll always find joy and purpose in pursuing his passion. And in knowing that he has fans who love and appreciate him a whole lot~ and who can't wait for his next projects. And for his updates, however rarely they come^^

@Calli Thank You... I was just trying to find out that bridge 11 years and what's better than two smiling picture of his first and latest drama. And fortunately the angle and smiles are just so strikingly similar.

4 hours ago, agenth said:

Joo Won, one of the top Korean actors, with a versatile portfolio and distinctive face / voice. 

My favourite role of his is Park Shi On in Good Doctor, where he truly shines. Have seen him also in Alice, Yong Pal, My Sassy Girl (dropped), Gaksital.

In honor of his day, is there something I should watch that I haven't? :D 

btw I've never seen anyone do that many caption writings hahahaha. Wow. Kudos.

@agenth really appreciate you stopping by here to wish Joo Won. :blush:

Umm @Calli suggested Joo Won's debut drama Baker King Kim Takgu.. As much as Makjang the drama is, it's kind of engaging and the fact it has some veteran senior actors and talented young actors makes up for it's makjagness. You may give it a try.

I recommend anyone who likes Joo Won work try watching Ojakgyo Brothers and Tomorrow Cantabile, because I love those two very much. But I  know Tomorrow Cantabile and Long family drama aren't everyone's cup of tea. So I'd rather suggest you a movie- Have you watched any of Joo Won movies? If you did not I'd recommend. Catch Me/ Steal my heart. it's a fun rom com with Joo Won and Kim Ah Joong.

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

I thought I'd share this awesome tribute by sachishioyama on Instagram. She's been releasing one of these chibis a day, but here's the final composite. Can you tell who's who?

From Left:

Gu Majun, Hwang Tae Hee, Han Gil Ro, Lee Kangto, Joon Hyuk, 

Seo Ki Woong, Gyun Woo, Park Jin Gyeom, Sam Whitt, Park Sion

Jang Woo, Kim Tae Hyun, Woo Ki Myung, Cha Yoo Jin, Kim Hyo Ryong

Her chibi arts are really cute.. love all these mini Joo Won characters.. 

And I'm working on something... trying to accumulate a short brief on previous news on Joo Won around 2010. Will share those. But it will probably be Thursday by then. Until then... bye. 

And 

Uri Joo Wonni, Fighting...Keep being You... Love You...:heart4:

83310815.2_99_20170314083605.jpg&type=sc

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

6 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I recommend anyone who likes Joo Won work try watching Ojakgyo Brothers and Tomorrow Cantabile, because I love those two very much. But I  know Tomorrow Cantabile and Long family drama aren't everyone's cup of tea. So I'd rather suggest you a movie- Have you watched any of Joo Won movies? If you did not I'd recommend. Catch Me/ Steal my heart. it's a fun rom com with Joo Won and Kim Ah Joong.

Each one of his dramas and movies are beautiful and ojakgyo brothers is very cute, it is a family drama but I loved it, I watched it every week and if you like classic dramas, I recommend tomorrow cantabile, it's very nice, pity in your country, the rating was terrible. a movie but it's great for those who like romantic comedies
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, am I the only one who cracked up upon noticing that one of the gifts was a bottle of rosé? :lol: 

Ahahaha :lol: I didn't notice! Maybe Joo Won can give it to a friend. Unless there's something about rose wine and Joo Won's alcohol tolerance that I'm not aware of yet?

I was actually wondering what's gonna happen to those lovely cakes, cause from what I've gathered Joo Won is sugar-free these days^^

17 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

And I'm working on something... trying to accumulate a short brief on previous news on Joo Won around 2010. Will share those.

Oh yaaay :happydance:

Thanks so much in advance @flutterby06. Can't wait^^

I still haven't watched Ojakgyo Brothers... I wonder when I'll get around to it :( But I already know I'm gonna fall for Hwang Taehee. Big time^^

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@Andrea Balcazar I'm glad you love these two drama..:highonflowers: I really love these two too.. You dramas that have special corner in your heart along with some other Joo Won drama.. Most people who watched Ojakgyo actually loves it. Other people find it difficult to start a long drama of 50+ episode. But I personally love KBS family dramas as long as it ends. Ojakgyo is too good.. And Tomorrow Cantabile tho controversial is loved by many. I love that fact too. 

You got it correct... not falling for Hwang Tae Hee isn't an option.. His solid characterization+ Joo Won deadly performance attracts people just like Baek Ja Eun. 

1. Look at the transformation from Majun to Ta Hee.... And the styling and hair... It was in Joo Won's nature to transform himself character to character since the beginning.

20110902000058_0.jpg

2. You'll love the clumsy fool in love Tae Hee.

6jX1MSO7EKTPeHpciazOMFnMHrvj4rEbXVTMsO4z

3. And you'll love discovering his character development... It'll tug your heart.

3f3a045060a97ee30d15bbe6ae94a280.jpg

Speaking of styling and hairs- You know what I'm more curious about upcoming movies considering... What is styling and hair would like! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is gets curious what would he look like in coming projects. .:getmygrooveon:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I was actually wondering what's gonna happen to those lovely cakes, cause from what I've gathered Joo Won is sugar-free these days^^

I didn't know that point, but it makes sense - honestly, too much sugar isn't good for anyone, so I'm not surprised :) 

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I still haven't watched Ojakgyo Brothers... I wonder when I'll get around to it :( But I already know I'm gonna fall for Hwang Taehee. Big time^^

Oh, yeah - Hwang Tae Hui (two different spellings - I personally use this one) is adorable! He means well, and he's an awesome cop (when is JW not an awesome cop when he ends up playing one? ;)), but he's also this really dorky introvert and it's hilarious to watch him sometimes. He also gets a really interesting (albeit somewhat makjang by 2021 standards) backstory that lets JW put a lot of nuance into the performance - and that's all I'm gonna say on that subject.

1 hour ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Each one of his dramas and movies are beautiful and ojakgyo brothers is very cute, it is a family drama but I loved it, I watched it every week and if you like classic dramas, I recommend tomorrow cantabile, it's very nice, pity in your country, the rating was terrible. a movie but it's great for those who like romantic comedies

9 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

And Tomorrow Cantabile tho controversial is loved by many. I love that fact too. 

And I'm personally one of those who loved it, @agenth It's one where, on the one hand, you shouldn't take it as seriously as you would a typical K-drama; but on the other hand, you shouldn't try to compare it with Nodame Cantabile, as it's very much a Korean drama in its character and narrative arcs rather than a remake of a Japanese one.

11 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Speaking of styling and hairs- You know what I'm more curious about upcoming movies considering... What is styling and hair would like! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is gets curious what would he look like in coming projects.

Same - definitely looking forward to seeing what they've come up with Carter this time around :coolshades:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

You dramas that have special corner in your heart along with some other Joo Won drama.. Most people who watched Ojakgyo actually loves it. Other people find it difficult to start a long drama of 50+ episode. But I personally love KBS family dramas as long as it ends. Ojakgyo is too good.. And Tomorrow Cantabile tho controversial is loved by many. I love that fact too. 

To be honest, the same thing happened to me, I don't like to watch long dramas, but after finishing the first joo won drama, I mean, a good doctor, I loved Joo Won and it made me want to see other dramas. chapters but once I started it I could not detach myself from the screen for almost 3 days I spent without sleeping through the drama also it became my favorite of all the dramas I have seen it was the first time I saw a patriotic drama and it brought tears to my eyes and all that also the final chapter very sad so far I have not been able to overcome it and then I started ojakgyo brothers and you should with that drama if I was doubting to see for the 50 chapters and you are right I loved joo won in the drama that character especially loved me and her chemistry with uee was the best i have seen in all his dramas  with kim tae hee

36 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Speaking of styling and hairs- You know what I'm more curious about upcoming movies considering... What is styling and hair would like! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is gets curious what would he look like in coming projects. .

i love the idea of joo won changing haircuts in his next project i really think joo won is the only actor i have seen do that and i love talking about cuts to me of all his dramas i liked the 7th cut grade civil servant personally I love that type of hair suits joo won very well and also the yongpal haircut from the first chapters

28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Oh, yeah - Hwang Tae Hui (two different spellings - I personally use this one) is adorable! He means well, and he's an awesome cop (when is JW not an awesome cop when he ends up playing one? ;)), but he's also this really dorky introvert and it's hilarious to watch him sometimes. He also gets a really interesting (albeit somewhat makjang by 2021 standards) backstory that lets JW put a lot of nuance into the performance - and that's all I'm gonna say on that subject.

Yes, I also think that he won the best new actor award thanks to that drama, I really think he deserved to win in bread love and dreams since that character was too good

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

You got it correct... not falling for Hwang Tae Hee isn't an option.. His solid characterization+ Joo Won deadly performance attracts people

Thank you for all those gorgeous Hwang Taehee/hui screencaps @flutterby06:please:

It's funny, I haven't even watched this drama, yet it's easy for me to recognize Taehee already. It's partly the styling but also Joo Won's expressions. It's like he has a whole new set of them for each one of his characters and that really amazes me. 

I'm gonna watch soon... can't wait to discover the "nuance " you're describing @kittyna

I really enjoyed Tomorrow Cantabile, too, girls. Joo Won's acting was outstanding. Like @kittynahas already pointed out a few times, it's really remarkable what Joo Won accomplished with a character that was rather cartoonish in description and could easily have fallen flat in the hands of a less capable actor. Also, compared to 7th GCS, the script was way more solid. Even if the female lead's characterization wasn't my cup of tea and the chemistry between Cha Yoojin and Seol Naeil was rather sibling like (which fit the drama rather well imo though), the drama as a whole was definitely worth watching. I haven't seen the Japanese original so I didn't have anything to compare it to, but I do think the drama deserved higher ratings for sure. From what I gathered from back then many people weren't happy with Shim Eunkyung's portrayal of Seol Naeil... the problem is, once you lose viewers at the beginning it's probably hard to get them back. 

I'm also really really looking forward to seeing our Joo Won's hairstyle and general style for Carter (look at me casually calling Joo Won "our" haha). Almost as much as I'm looking forward to seeing his acting :partyblob: 

I bet he's gonna look and be so amazing it'll take me 5 hours to get through the movie once^^ 

edit: 

Oh! @kittynaabout Joo Won being sugar-free these days: I'm just assuming that based on Park Jeong Sik's emphatic "No way does Joo Won's coffee have syrup in it" voice in his latest insta live with Joo Won. And because his "transformation training" probably means he had to reduce his bad carb intake quite a bit... just my assumption though. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

23 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

i love the idea of joo won changing haircuts in his next project i really think joo won is the only actor i have seen do that and i love talking about cuts to me of all his dramas i liked the 7th cut grade civil servant personally I love that type of hair suits joo won very well and also the yongpal haircut from the first chapters

As for me, I think his looks in Nae Il's CantabileYong Pal and Alice were my favourites. I think JW pulls off long-ish hairstyles (e.g. in Nae Il's Cantabile) better than most other Hallyu actors, and the styles in Yong Pal and Alice just...worked. I don't know how to explain why, I just think they did.

22 hours ago, Calli said:

Even if the female lead's characterization wasn't my cup of tea and the chemistry between Cha Yoojin and Seol Naeil was rather sibling like (which fit the drama rather well imo though), the drama as a whole was definitely worth watching.

lol - This reminds me of how the Dramabeans team put it at the time: that Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il basically went straight from close friends to an old married couple without any of the romance in between :loolz:But mind you, that's what I think works for them - and is probably more realistic than most rom-com relationships - so I'm not complaining. Plus, their "sibling-like"/"old married couple" type of banter was hilarious.

22 hours ago, Calli said:

From what I gathered from back then many people weren't happy with Shim Eunkyung's portrayal of Seol Naeil... the problem is, once you lose viewers at the beginning it's probably hard to get them back. 

She was caught between a rock and a hard place, though. On the one hand, she had to capture some of the "extra" qualities of the Japanese original to appeal to one half of the audience, but on the other hand, that would always be too over-the-top for the other half. The main difference, though, from what I could find was that in the Japanese version, everyone was pretty cartoonish and over-the-top, so you just understood that as the "world" of the drama. However, in the Korean version, most of the other characters (especially Cha Yoo Jin) were toned down a good deal, which made Seol Nae Il stand out really jarringly by comparison.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

As for me, I think his looks in Nae Il's CantabileYong Pal and Alice were my favourites. I think JW pulls off long-ish hairstyles (e.g. in Nae Il's Cantabile) better than most other Hallyu actors, and the styles in Yong Pal and Alice just...worked. I don't know how to explain why, I just think they did.

if it's true joo won also knows how to wear long hair better than other actors if true alice i forgot to mention i loved his hair he looked very handsome

• Like 2

This reminds me of how the Dramabeans team put it at the time: that Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il basically went straight from close friends to an old married couple without any of the romance in between

:lol: That sounds about right! I haven't read the dramabeans recaps on Naeil's Cantabile yet. While I was watching the drama I wasn't aware of their recaps yet tbh. I'd love to read their take on it though, especially if it was javabeans and/or girlfriday recapping. 

She was caught between a rock and a hard place, though. On the one hand, she had to capture some of the "extra" qualities of the Japanese original to appeal to one half of the audience, but on the other hand, that would always be too over-the-top for the other half.

I wonder how she would have played her character if she had been free of the context of the original... considering how all other characters were rather toned down, as you say, in comparison to the original, it might have done her and the drama more service to have a more temperate version of her character as well.

I think they actually tried to do that as the episodes progressed; that's why the final episodes when they went to Salzburg (but that were actually filmed first), felt rather off. Her calling him "older brother" all of a sudden again felt like she had a relapse just as they had established a different footing. But they obviously couldn't reshoot all of that footage... thankfully with so many dramas being pre-produced these days things like these don't seem to be much of an issue anymore. Even when they do shoot out of order. 

Agree with both of you, @kittynaand @Andrea Balcazar, Joo Won can pull off longer hairstyles really really well. It's probably my bias talking but I haven't yet seen him in a hairstyle he wasn't able to pull off... Maybe because he has such a small and lovely face? Or because he has a face that's really beautiful to me no matter what?^^ 

I really love him in hats, too. While so many fans on DC Gallery used to complain because he wore hats so often during 1N2D I loved him in all of them^^ 

spacer.png

• Like 3