Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

7 hours ago, lavender2love said:

What do you think of this unusual departure from his usual style when making public appearances in the pic below? So far I like the pink shirt in one such public event and the purplish (? ) or a pastel colour in one in his press com. Any opinion on his dressing when he was spotted wearing the long straight coat to one of MSG filming ? Quite clearly it shows up his small face just as you described.  

I have noticed that there's been some changes to how he's dressed (or how his stylists dress him) this year, particularly in relation to promotions for "My Sassy Girl". A lot of softer colours and lines than what we usually see, as well as a slight return to the longish hairstyle he sported in "Nae Il's Cantabile":

287aadb10664e16215e7b09a74c4a6b9.jpg

917778d309ac03ac60553c1adc947ab1.jpg

6a10b3b3ec78aa10eef711d4009623ce.jpg

I have to admit that I, too, was wondering what was going on. Is this a reflection of new fashion trends in Korea that I'm just not aware of? After all, the fabrics and cuts/silhouettes of the shirts he's wearing in all three of these photos have also made it over here to North America - but for women. I daresay no-one's trying to put him in drag, so is it just that this slightly more romantic and bohemian style is starting to take off for Korean guys as well?

Or...are we seeing hints at another image change?

It'd have to be a very short-term shift, because I expect a different style/image yet again once he completes his military service (by the way, I can't wait to see him doing the "post-enlistment"-style roles - they offer so much character depth, and maybe he could ditch the pressure to be a flower boy actor - which he's not - for good), but it seems that for the first half of 2017, there's been a shift away from the "manly professional" look that predominated in 2015 and 2016 back to the boy-next-door style from an earlier stage in career. However, whereas the boy-next-door look he had in, say, 2012 to 2014 (coinciding with things like 1N2D) was really cute and exuded childlike innocence (filled with things like graphic tees, jeans, fluffy sweaters, etc.), in this case...it's romance that I feel. This whole look, in my own personal opinion, evokes spring - and the promise of young love.

After all, what happened in early 2017?

1. He went public about his relationship with BoA
  2. He's shooting a romantic comedy as his swan song drama

And I think that's something that everyone around JW - and even he himself - wanted to celebrate, especially the relationship since it's for real, and not just on screen. For example, shortly after the dating news got out, JW and Kim Young Kwang did their photo shoot for GGIO2's 2017 S/S collection. The company gifted each of them with a cake - and take a look at the one JW got (courtesy of his own Instagram :))

You can see KYK's cake in the video clip, and just how different they are.

And that's when I started seeing more pastel colours - especially pink - and other softer touches showing up in JW's look :wink:

7 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Now I can't decide if he looks good with glasses .Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ..... I think he does.

lol - This time...I'll just let JW speak for himself :D Start watching at 5:00

EDIT - New Mountia Video!

Mountia just released a new video today featuring JW and their 2017 F/W collection. So, if I recall correctly, we've seen at least some of these images before. But hey, I'm sure we're all always open for more :wink:

And what do you know? He gets a cake here, too :)

My own personal favourite is the black-and-white photo that's shown at 1:32 in the video - it's aegyo, but more grown up, and just gives me this very friendly, warm feeling. :)

I also like the bit at the very end when he smiles up at the camera - I'd read in the comments on the Dramabeans recaps of "My Sassy Girl" that JW seems to look genuinely happier than he was before, and I can definitely see what those commenters meant from looking at that shot. It's not like he wasn't a very joyful and optimistic person to begin with, but he's practically glowing here.

• Like 2

Just popping by quickly to post my Throwback Thursday contribution for this week. This time, it's a two-for-one special, because I am sharing the two times JW appeared as an actor on a music video in the early stages of his career.

1. "Miss You" by S.M. the Ballad

This is from November 2010, so not too long after "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu".

2. "Made Yet Another Woman Cry" by 2Bic

This one is from March 2012; the synopsis on YouTube mentions JW as the new maknae for 1N2D, but doesn't say anything about "Gaksital", so this one should fall between "Ojakgyo Brothers" and "Gaksital".

Watching both of these videos reminds me that one of the things I would really, really like to see JW do in the future is some sort of collaboration with BoA - since they're not only dating, but have both proven versatility working as actors and singers. (He's an actor who can sing like the best of them, and she's a singer who's also done acting - with him as monitor/coach.) I'm happy with just about any combination on that front:

• the two of them doing a duet
  • the two of them acting together
  • BoA singing an OST for one of JW's future dramas
  • JW appearing in one of BoA's future music videos

Come on - I can't be the only one wishing for these things, right?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, airplanegirl said:

From a Ji Chang Wook fan on Weibo:

1) They go to religious services together on the weekends.

2) They hid chocolates in the toilet, and then would sneak into the toilet at dawn to eat it. 

Source: 戴戴 via 奇怪夫妇中文小站

lol - Thanks for sharing! That gave me a really funny mental image :D

(And, yes, I'm reposting this - the formatting got wonky when I initially wrote it as an addendum to my previous post, so deleting that and rewriting it here should minimize confusion)

• Like 4

Recent interview by Oh Yeon Seo from a Japanese magazine:

"There were loads of interesting things that happened on set. During rehearsals, we would constantly play off each other. And as you know, Joo Won is very charming. On set, he would constantly sing and dance and because I too have a musical background, I would immediately dance along.

Also, at the time, TT by Twice had just come out, so he would constantly play the song, and we would dance along." 

Source: http://news.kstyle.com/article.ksn?articleNo=2075193

• Like 3

@kittyna

" I have noticed that there's been some changes to how he's dressed (or how his stylists dress him) this year, particularly in relation to promotions for "My Sassy Girl". A lot of softer colours and lines than what we usually see, as well as a slight return to the longish hairstyle he sported in "Nae Il's Cantabile"

I have to admit that I, too, was wondering what was going on. Is this a reflection of new fashion trends in Korea that I'm just not aware of? After all, the fabrics and cuts/silhouettes of the shirts he's wearing in all three of these photos have also made it over here to North America - but for women. I daresay no-one's trying to put him in drag, so is it just that this slightly more romantic and bohemian style is starting to take off for Korean guys as well?

Or...are we seeing hints at another image change?

My own personal favourite is the black-and-white photo that's shown at 1:32 in the video - it's aegyo, but more grown up, and just gives me this very friendly, warm feeling. :)

I also like the bit at the very end when he smiles up at the camera - I'd read in the comments on the Dramabeans recaps of "My Sassy Girl" that JW seems to look genuinely happier than he was before, and I can definitely see what those commenters meant from looking at that shot. It's not like he wasn't a very joyful and optimistic person to begin with, but he's practically glowing here."

Snippets of your interesting observation. ...... ohhh the last line is so telling.... You have a lot of ideas @kittyna

JOO WON IS IN LOVE....... !!!

WATCHING HIS LOVE GROWS IN THE TWO POTS ? DAYS ARE SHORTENING.

• Like 1

I'd stayed away from posting recently because it seemed so quiet here. However, if things might be picking up again in the future...back to sharing :)

I've put together some more of my favourite moments from 1N2D here.

1. JW and the puppy hospital

Okay...not quite a puppy hospital. :tongue: He was visiting a university campus with Lee Su Geun and they decided to check out the veterinary science department.

Besides just seeing how cute JW is with the puppies, I choose to share this moment because it's one of those were LSG's way of caring for JW is noticeable. Whenever JW is filming a KBS drama at the same time as 1N2D (which is also by KBS), you can expect LSG to publicize it as much as possible - it's his way of saying to viewers, "Hey, this kid is up to some really great things on the weekdays - be sure to check it out!" Someone had shared JW's recent interview with Arirang, where he said that he struggled on 1N2D with giving more vocal reactions to things when, for the most part, he normally doesn't talk much. So any time that LSG could fill in those gaps and take that load off JW's shoulders, he does - and I love that.

So here...lots of "Good Doctor" references. :) And I love that JW plays along, slipping in and out of Park Si On mode throughout this segment.

2. The Kiss Goodnight

I had previously shared part of this footage before, in which Sung Si Kyung and Uhm Tae Woong rather adorably "fight" over JW in his sleep.

However, what I'm drawing attention to this time is the little bit at the beginning, before that incident. Some of you have pointed out that there aren't nearly enough scenes on 1N2D featuring Cha Tae Hyun's relationship with JW, but here's one - where they "kiss" goodnight through the window.

And, yes, I know what that just sounded like, but I assure you that that's not what it feels like in the actual video. :wink: The way CTH gestures in particular makes me think of a dad blowing his kids a kiss from the door after he puts them in bed.

3. JW's Massage Service

Again, this one is from KBS Entertain, so it can't be uploaded - I've already coded this to start where I want it to when you click through.

https://youtu.be/pJoL53MsGb4?t=1m17s

This scene shows the guys who had won indoor sleeping rights (Cha Tae Hyun, Kim Jong Min, Uhm Tae Woong, and JW) getting ready for bed. While CTH prepares mosquito nets and repellent, you see JW giving UTW a massage which the captions say goes on for around 10 minutes. Okay, I'm not gonna lie: since the scandal broke out, anything involving "UTW" and "massage" in the same sentence still feels rather awkward to me. BUT that's not JW's fault, and I do still appreciate how thorough he is in this case, as it shows how much he cares for UTW and wants to look out for him.

By the way, the thought/caption dialogue between them goes like this:

UTW: Thanks, maknae.

JW: Don't die, hyung.

Why that last bit? I don't know - but it's funny. :D

4. Math Challenge for Grilled Pork Belly

This isn't so much a bromance moment - since it features Sung Si Kyung and JW challenging someone from the general public - but it's still cute.

I cracked up at how SSK teases JW throughout, saying things like, "[JW's] awful at [the multiplication game]", "She's going to beat you", or "If you lose this, you're dead!" You know - and JW knows - that SSK is actually rooting for him in his own roundabout way - but what hyung won't take advantage of a chance to tease the maknae? :wink:

• Like 4

@kittyna   "I'd stayed away from posting recently because it seemed so quiet here. However, if things might be picking up again in the future...back to sharing :)

I guess since JW is in MS there are less news and visuals to get the fans excited. Perhaps also many are busy though I would call them slackers for this thread. I too was busy in August.... so many things cropped up. That's real life. But I do my bit .

Anyway you are doing a remarkable job posting and sharing so many good stuff.... videos and analysis. I think many are lurking and enjoying reading your write up. I see viewership increasing daily. Wondering where our friends who were so regular are ... @flutterby06, @hibiscus23 ( ok ok.... I know you're addicted to that drama and that handsome guy, but hasn't the show ended ? ) I will have to backtrack for the rest of them.

Uhmmn.... he's wearing shorts. haha.... If you notice, his legs are very fair which means his legs have always been covered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Uhmmn.... he's wearing shorts. haha.... If you notice, his legs are very fair which means his legs have always been covered.

He has said before that since he plays alot of soccer and swims, his legs are extremely muscular. So he doesn't like wearing shorts that go below his knees. 

15 hours ago, kittyna said:

I'd stayed away from posting recently because it seemed so quiet here. However, if things might be picking up again in the future...back to sharing :)

I cracked up at how SSK teases JW throughout, saying things like, "[JW's] awful at [the multiplication game]", "She's going to beat you", or "If you lose this, you're dead!" You know - and JW knows - that SSK is actually rooting for him in his own roundabout way - but what hyung won't take advantage of a chance to tease the maknae? :wink:

Oh man! Please do help to keep this forum alive! I know it can get very intimidating if no one posts for days and you have to be the one to restart it. 

SSK and Joo Won! I do think that SSK totally adopted Joo Won as his faux dong saeng. I think many people expected SSK to get closer to Kim Jong Min since they are same aged friends, and I think it was surprising to many people that in the end it was Joo Won who managed to get close to him.

I think Joo Won has this way of somehow sneaking up behind you and then unknowingly charm you into falling for him.

15 hours ago, kittyna said:

3. JW's Massage Service

Again, this one is from KBS Entertain, so it can't be uploaded - I've already coded this to start where I want it to when you click through.

https://youtu.be/pJoL53MsGb4?t=1m17s

This scene shows the guys who had won indoor sleeping rights (Cha Tae Hyun, Kim Jong Min, Uhm Tae Woong, and JW) getting ready for bed. While CTH prepares mosquito nets and repellent, you see JW giving UTW a massage which the captions say goes on for around 10 minutes. Okay, I'm not gonna lie: since the scandal broke out, anything involving "UTW" and "massage" in the same sentence still feels rather awkward to me. BUT that's not JW's fault, and I do still appreciate how thorough he is in this case, as it shows how much he cares for UTW and wants to look out for him.

By the way, the thought/caption dialogue between them goes like this:

UTW: Thanks, maknae.

JW: Don't die, hyung.

Why that last bit? I don't know - but it's funny. :D

Uhm Tae Woong... Well... Sigh... Is it bad that I still kinda betrayed?

In a way, I do prefer Yoo Hae Jin and Joo Won's relationship more since the UTW-JW thing seemed very one-sided. And you could see that YHJ adored Joo Won. That's not to say that UTW didn't adore Joo Won, I think it's more of YHJ showed his affection for JW more. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lavender2love said:

3 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

He has said before that since he plays alot of soccer and swims, his legs are extremely muscular. So he doesn't like wearing shorts that go below his knees. 

@lavender2love I remember that he openly admitted on "Life Log" that his photo shoot pictures are Photoshopped. At the time, he was working on "Ghost" and his legs were covered with small scrapes and bruises from all the jumping and rolling around he had to do on stage. So when he was interviewed backstage at the Edwin photo shoot and asked if photo editing was used, he said, "It's been done many times," and then pointed out all those minor injuries as the reason.

(I know that the photo you shared was from a different photo shoot, but recalling just how candidly and nonchalantly JW talked about the use of Photoshop...I suppose they do things differently in Korea, because that's a subject of scandal and/or ridicule here in North America - one of those "everyone knows but no-one talks about it" things.)

However, given the fact that S/S fashion shoots actually tend to happen in the winter...yeah, I daresay JW would have been covered up most of the time up to the point when this photo was taken :)

@airplanegirl I also remember his comment about not liking what he called "half length pants" on "Life Log" - I'm still not entirely sure what he meant by that, but based on your bit, I'm assuming that's the "shorts that go below his knees" bit?

That being said, I find JW to be pretty modest in general. He was teased on the "Fashion People" special of "Happy Together" for his love of scarves. That was a habit he'd picked up from his work on musical theatre, when he would wear them even in summer, but even though I don't see him wearing things that cover his neck year-round anymore, I have noticed that he has a habit of unconsciously touching himself there when he's nervous, such as in his appearances on "Happy Together" because of the requisite T-shirt and shorts costume at the time (the set being a fake sauna).

Other things that suggest to me that JW is a modest dresser in real life:

• His admission that he is uncomfortable shooting scenes where he's topless or in his underwear. He'll still do it if the role requires it, like in the musicals "Spring Awakening" and "Ghost", but I wonder if he's more comfortable on stage rather than on screen as far as revealing himself is concerned.
  • His rather conservative views on women's clothing, which seems to reflect a general tendency to shy away from anything overtly sexual. This is the sort of thing that could cause scandal here in North America: that he could candidly talk about preferring girls not to wear short skirts because "I didn't know where to look". Here where I am from, that would be a negative example of patriarchy and sexism - but in Korea, he could talk about that without any sort of censure. To his credit, though, from what I've seen, he actually does look away of his own accord when he gets uncomfortable, like when UEE was asked to do a sexy dance on the "Ojakgyo Brothers" episode of "Happy Together", rather than trying to stop the girls from doing their own thing.
  • His admission that he tapes the space between the buttons on his shirts so that he's not exposed by the gaps. Granted, it could also be to create a cleaner, more streamlined effect, but that he mentions exposure as the reason tells me that he's someone who only wants to reveal his body on his own terms.

All of these things contribute to a public image that, from what I've seen, has had an influence on photographers and advertisers. Has anyone seen a photo of him posing topless in a magazine photo shoot? I think he's one of a very small handful of male celebrities where I have not seen anything of the sort.

6 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Anyway you are doing a remarkable job posting and sharing so many good stuff.... videos and analysis. I think many are lurking and enjoying reading your write up. I see viewership increasing daily.

lol - At least some amount of that viewership would be me :tongue: I pop by pretty regularly to see if anyone has added anything new, because I feel that that gives me "permission" to continue with things I could share.

SSK and Joo Won! I do think that SSK totally adopted Joo Won as his faux dong saeng. I think many people expected SSK to get closer to Kim Jong Min since they are same aged friends, and I think it was surprising to many people that in the end it was Joo Won who managed to get close to him.

I think Joo Won has this way of somehow sneaking up behind you and then unknowingly charm you into falling for him.

SSK and KJM are hilarious together in their own way. They're the sort of people who I think don't actually genuinely dislike each other, but just have the sort of personalities that clash whenever they're together.

I'm actually one of those who wasn't surprised that JW got close to SSK so easily. Since my sense was that SSK was a really reserved introvert, I figured that someone really extroverted like KJM would have a harder time getting through his shell - from SSK's point of view, someone like that would make for an intimidating stranger and an aggravating acquaintance. On the flip side, from KJM's perspective, SSK is intimidating in his own way, because for someone used to just saying whatever was on his mind, a more reserved individual like SSK would be really hard to read.

The guys on 1N2D Season 2 seem to fit pretty neatly on a spectrum of introversion-extroversion - based on what I've seen of the show, I'd put them like this, going from most introverted to most extroverted (I'm leaving out Kim Seung Woo, because to be honest, even after watching his entire part, I'm still not sure about him):

Sung Si Kyung --> Uhm Tae Woong --> Yoo Hae Jin --> Joo Won --> Cha Tae Hyun --> Kim Jong Min --> Lee Su Geun

Note how I put JW in the middle. To be fair, if we were to think in terms of a binary (i.e. you're either introverted or extroverted), then JW would still fit on the introverted side of things, with CTH beginning to veer more towards extroversion. However, if we think in terms of a spectrum or sliding scale, then JW would be what some call an ambivert - a person who fits somewhere in the middle. JW's the sort of person who needs time alone and finds large groups overwhelming, but would also end up getting antsy if he really is just by himself - he seems most comfortable when with just one other person or with a small group of people (e.g. the 1N2D cast with 7 people, or his "Life Log" group of friends).

In my opinion, both JW and CTH are what I would call "bridges" in the 1N2D Season 2 cast: the ones who end up pulling everyone together despite all the disparate personalities in the group. Originally, I would have also put UTW in there because of his connection with both the Season 1 guys and newcomers like JW, but as the season progressed, I actually noticed JW himself stepping into the role. CTH for me, is the "extroverted bridge": he's the sort of person who's very openly friendly and talkative, but who strikes a balance where someone who's quieter isn't scared off. In other words, he's outgoing, but he's not dominating (which LSG can get sometimes) or someone who inadvertently says too much (which is KJM's weakness). JW, on the other hand, is the "introverted bridge". He doesn't say much, but he feels very caring and warm in his own way. So those who are more talkative don't feel like he's put off by that (e.g. how LSG senses that JW welcomes his emcee-mode), and those who are more quiet feel that he would be quiet alongside them (e.g. how SSK and JW can just spend long periods of time in companionable silence).

Also, just by being the maknae, JW becomes a focal point that all the hyungs could focus on; even as strangers, when they could only rely on Korea's age-based etiquette, he already knows where he fits in relation to them and vice-versa. Some maknaes might resent the position of being on the bottom by default, but I actually sense that JW enjoyed or even welcomed it, because it gave him a variety persona right off the bat - the hyungs, on the other hand, all had to figure out their own niche, and that took time.

Uhm Tae Woong... Well... Sigh... Is it bad that I still kinda betrayed?

Hence why I said what I did: " Okay, I'm not gonna lie: since the scandal broke out, anything involving "UTW" and "massage" in the same sentence still feels rather awkward to me. BUT that's not JW's fault." Let's not let someone else's mistakes take away from what was a good deed on JW's part :)

In a way, I do prefer Yoo Hae Jin and Joo Won's relationship more since the UTW-JW thing seemed very one-sided. And you could see that YHJ adored Joo Won. That's not to say that UTW didn't adore Joo Won, I think it's more of YHJ showed his affection for JW more. 

And here's proof that I've been plodding through the second half of Season 2 (again, because of UTW's scandal), because I've been running into difficulties finding YHJ-JW moments to share. :(

I do remember, although I haven't found a brief clip to share yet, that JW was one of the ones who knew YHJ from before he started on the show. Rather obvious, because they're from the same agency, but I remember when the guys had to guess where YHJ would be waiting for them based on the food offered at different rest stops. At one such rest station, the hyungs noted that there didn't seem to be any hints that a famous actor was nearby (no fans, no media, etc.). JW was the one who insisted YHJ was there, though, saying, "I heard this once. Hae Jin hyung was by himself at Seoul Station. But nobody spoke to him." It's implied, though, that rather than just hearing of it, YHJ told JW this himself, because the camera then cuts to him sitting in the food court of that same rest station, and the thought caption says, "I shouldn't have told him that story..." Fortunately, JW went by his gut instinct and was the first one to get off and look for YHJ - and he was right, so they both won breakfast. :)

• Like 3

On 8/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, stearly said:

Hi dear, it's so nice to see you :)

Hi @stearly!  Awwww 1N2D.  My weakness :)

And @sagaseed!  Long time no see!

On 8/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, lavender2love said:

you guys with gif making talent and knowledge of Korean are now volunteering to be in the subbing team

I have practically zero gif making talent and only basic knowledge of Korean, but thanks!  I only brought up the subbing team because there's so much activity here now, and JWC subbing team has been inactive for some time.  I know @mrdimples offered to hand over the reins if anyone wants to get the blog updated and fanclub activities going again, so I'm sure the offer still stands if anyone is up for it.  I can't do it, but I've missed subbing :wink:

You guys.  I just realized it's been 5 years since Gaksital.  (Or will be on September 6th anyway)  How has it been that long?

n3nAYJr.jpg

Favorite scene from my favorite drama <3

• Like 2

By the way, just want to add something quickly to what I've been saying so far about JW on 1N2D.

I usually try not to get heated by things, but this is something that really does bug me: I hate it when people say that JW doesn't do anything on 1N2D. You know, the whole "What's he even doing here?" "He's not funny", "He doesn't belong on the show" stuff.

Yes, I will admit I'm biased. I already really liked JW from the behind-the-scenes stuff for "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" and started watching 1N2D because of him (the only other cast member that I knew of at the time was UTW, and I didn't even realize he was there until I started watching).

However, my reasoning is not because I'm a JW fan. Rather, comments claiming that he doesn't do anything on the show are completely missing the point. It's true that JW is quiet (even though I put him as not the most introverted cast member, I do agree he's the quietest one), and that he tends to just stay in the background and seldom speaks up. He's also not that great with the witty comebacks, which is how other quiet members like SSK found their niche.

But here's the thing: JW is a master at non-verbal communication. People who think he's boring because he doesn't say very funny things, in my opinion, are failing to notice that JW actually says a lot. He just doesn't do it out loud. You can see so much going on in his facial expressions, his body language, who he stands by, who/what he shies away from, his little random acts of kindness. Granted, these are things that often don't end up becoming the focus in the footage - so it's understandable if people miss it on the first viewing (especially if they have to read the subtitles, because he'll almost never show up there). But if you watch him closely and see the stuff he does in the background when others are talking...there's a whole world of information there.

One of my favourite such moments was in one of the earlier episodes, when he kept adjusting the hood of Kim Jong Min's sweatshirt whenever it got crumpled up during the bedtime games; KJM was wearing a padded vest over top of the hoodie, but he kept taking it off and putting it back on again between games - each time he put it back on again, the hood would get caught underneath the vest, and JW would silently come up behind him and pull it back out. It's caught on camera, but never actually commented on, since the emphasis would be on KJM at the time.

It's the little things like that that people who just think he "doesn't do anything" fail to see.

I'm not asking for viewers to have JW be their favourite on the show - each of the guys is awesome in his own way, and we will all have our favourites. But at the same time, we need to give credit where credit's due - just because someone's not talking doesn't mean they're not communicating.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2017 at 9:41 PM, kittyna said:

Just popping by quickly to post my Throwback Thursday contribution for this week. This time, it's a two-for-one special, because I am sharing the two times JW appeared as an actor on a music video in the early stages of his career.

1. "Miss You" by S.M. the Ballad

This is from November 2010, so not too long after "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu".

2. "Made Yet Another Woman Cry" by 2Bic

This one is from March 2012; the synopsis on YouTube mentions JW as the new maknae for 1N2D, but doesn't say anything about "Gaksital", so this one should fall between "Ojakgyo Brothers" and "Gaksital".

Watching both of these videos reminds me that one of the things I would really, really like to see JW do in the future is some sort of collaboration with BoA - since they're not only dating, but have both proven versatility working as actors and singers. (He's an actor who can sing like the best of them, and she's a singer who's also done acting - with him as monitor/coach.) I'm happy with just about any combination on that front:

• the two of them doing a duet
  • the two of them acting together
  • BoA singing an OST for one of JW's future dramas
  • JW appearing in one of BoA's future music videos

Come on - I can't be the only one wishing for these things, right?

@kittyna Thanks for sharing the 2 music videos! I have never seen these before. 

His hairstyle in second video reminds me of Hwang Tae Hee in Ojakgyo Brothers :D

I think fans who like both of them would hope to see JW collaborating with BoA too. My wish is to see JW appearing in her music videos. But I feel that they prefer to have a very private relationship. Like Rain and KTH, they will date quietly but will announce if they decide to bring the relationship to the next level. So I think we will probably only get to see "collaboration" in the form of wedding pictorials haha

Also, thank you for sharing clips and your thoughts on JW on 2D1N. I was busy and had limited time to catch up on JW stuff but watching those clips and reading your thoughts is a good trip down memory lane. Anyone knows where to find earlier subbed episodes of season 2? Only later episodes after 2013.5.12 is available in KBSWorld so I could not rewatch the earlier ones.

You guys.  I just realized it's been 5 years since Gaksital.  (Or will be on September 6th anyway)  How has it been that long?

@ecs707a Can't believe it has been 5 years! My favourite drama too and I am forever thankful to dramabeans for introducing me to this drama. I was jobless back then so I had time to watch it as soon as it was subbed. Every episode is intense and daebak. These days, I have been thinking why didn't KBS produce a sequel to such a successful drama, and how nice if JW can be in it again? I know Gaksital is based on a popular Korean manhwa but surely they can build on the adaptation success to write a sequel? I can wish for this to happen right? I have checked out Gaksital Director's and Writer's works after Gaksital and unfortunately they were not as highly rated as Gaksital. Nonetheless, I hope to see them reunite for another drama again, with Park Ki-Woong. With their bromance, I don't need romance :D

• Like 3

Hmm... I am just not writing anything because I have nothing to? And the topics brought up are not up to date? But then I understand that he is in army so there are very limited topics to actually talk about.I know some of you want to discuss about  1N2D but it is something that Joo Won did half a decade ago and as a Joo Won's old fan, I have already left that behind. We,or at least I have said enough about it back in 2013 or so. Also,I really love 1N2D season 3 and believe that it is better than season 2.Maybe because of director,but season 2 is something I want to left behind except for Joo Won's cuteness.

About Joo Won's fashion, it is not my forte or my interest. I am the type that wear clothes if it is pretty and doesn't care about style. I feel that Joo Won is like that too or maybe worse than that. If you have seen 1N2D episode where they visited Joo Won's home, you will have actually saw how he kept this clothes. And he barely has 1 or 2 dressing shoes.Most of clothes he wore are sponsored.Those he owned are mainly from fans or got from those commercials that he did. And from what I see, he is quite bad at keeping the clothes neat too. For a next-door-boy like him,I doubt he actually care about fashion. Maybe he change now,but not until 2015.

Just a suggestion. You all can write short fanfics to liven up this thread. Maybe I will participate too is someone get the ball rolling?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ecs707a said:

You guys.  I just realized it's been 5 years since Gaksital.  (Or will be on September 6th anyway)  How has it been that long? Favorite scene from my favorite drama <3

Has it been 5 years already? Gaksital (and Good Doctor), will always be my most favourite dramas he's done for 2 different reasons. 

Gaksital was Gaksital. The intensity and the action scenes never fail to blow me away, and the fact that Joo Won did most of the stunts is just amazing. 

57 minutes ago, Ma OO said:

Hmm... I am just not writing anything because I have nothing to? And the topics brought up are not up to date? But then I understand that he is in army so there are very limited topics to actually talk about.I know some of you want to discuss about  1N2D but it is something that Joo Won did half a decade ago and as a Joo Won's old fan, I have already left that behind. We,or at least I have said enough about it back in 2013 or so. Also,I really love 1N2D season 3 and believe that it is better than season 2.Maybe because of director,but season 2 is something I want to left behind except for Joo Won's cuteness.

So sorry for bringing up topic that might have made you uncomfortable. But lately, netizens have been mentioning Joo Won in the 2D1N Naver blog about how they miss him, and how they wanna see him guesting once he gets out of military service. Whilst the season wasn't as well-received as S1 and S3, Joo Won was incredibly loved as the maknae by netizens. 

But I do agree, season 2 just wasn't as smooth cause of the PD and in turn, the editing was kinda bad. 

• Like 4

I'm as smiling as a cheshire cat.... I backtracked but you guys came in before I did the roll call. Kudos CUTIES. Thank you for livening things up ...... @airplanegirl ( she's the admin so always around ) @ecs707a@sagaseed, @Ma OO, @rionae

Yo @stearly miss you girl. Thanks to @kittyna for brightening up the thread with her insightful thoughts.

_______________________________________________-

Posted earlier  " Wondering where our friends who were so regular are ... @flutterby06, @hibiscus23 ( ok ok.... I know you're addicted to that drama and that handsome guy, but hasn't the show ended ? ) I will have to backtrack for the rest of them. "

__________________________________________-

16 hours ago, ecs707a said:

Hi @stearly!  Awwww 1N2D.  My weakness :)

And @sagaseed!  Long time no see!

I have practically zero gif making talent and only basic knowledge of Korean, but thanks!  I only brought up the subbing team because there's so much activity here now, and JWC subbing team has been inactive for some time.  I know @mrdimples offered to hand over the reins if anyone wants to get the blog updated and fanclub activities going again, so I'm sure the offer still stands if anyone is up for it.  I can't do it, but I've missed subbing :wink:

You did a superb job...... very talented @ecs707a Don't give up.... all your efforts are being rewarded by the immense satisfaction it gave to JW fans. You know, you cuties did well to put this thread somewhere in the forefront with 4.5 + viewers. a formidable feat and JW deserves such recognition.

3 hours ago, Ma OO said:

About Joo Won's fashion, it is not my forte or my interest. I am the type that wear clothes if it is pretty and doesn't care about style. I feel that Joo Won is like that too or maybe worse than that. If you have seen 1N2D episode where they visited Joo Won's home, you will have actually saw how he kept this clothes. And he barely has 1 or 2 dressing shoes.Most of clothes he wore are sponsored.Those he owned are mainly from fans or got from those commercials that he did. And from what I see, he is quite bad at keeping the clothes neat too. For a next-door-boy like him,I doubt he actually care about fashion. Maybe he change now,but not until 2015.

Just a suggestion. You all can write short fanfics to liven up this thread. Maybe I will participate too is someone get the ball rolling?

Ah...... fashion. Well it's not fashion per se. It's all so tied in with JW's chronological style and the costumes of his dramas. I appreciate for example the dressing of the Gaksikal era in the 30s. It was so well researched from his suits to hairstyle to the shoes of those times. Then we discussed his cute boyhood style and how he changed his dressing to reflect his maturity and definitely the pink is indicative of his love life. @kittyna is a lively conversationalist.

Yes too and it's also about so many new fans who missed this thread when you were discussing  his reality shows so now they are happy to be able to talk about what they missed. I personally do not know anything about JW before Yong Pal so it's like something new. All the talk about reality shows are a tribute to JW.

So it was not vain chatter..... i really learn his development and I appreciate @kittyna for her interesting information . She's so detail and her research is in point and are eye openers. We had good discussion on costumes, food, bridges , flowers , rings ect.... in MSG. His saguek drama gave us an opportunity to understand historical Korea.... that is educational. That is what a good thread is about.

Start with you dear @Ma OO .... you write the fanfic first and I'm sure kittyna can match up to that. Anyway it's good of you to come and share your opinion. Everyone is open to anything. As long as this thread doesn't lay dormant and needing resuscitation.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:47 PM, lavender2love said:

Thanks @airplanegirlfor that answer..... Extremely muscular ? I don't see that ...  :):wub::D

I appreciate this fan's dedication to the count down, so I post her work her. D-529 days..... so the topics until his return can be anything under the sun as long as it's all about the man himself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ma OO said:

5 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Yes too and it's also about so many new fans who missed this thread when you were discussing  his reality shows so now they are happy to be able to talk about what they missed. I personally do not know anything about JW before Yong Pal so it's like something new. All the talk about reality shows are a tribute to JW.

I understand what you mean, @Ma OO, and my apologies if this is boring you. :(

But  @lavender2love really nailed my reasoning. lol - My becoming a fan of JW came even after "Yong Pal", and I didn't even find out about this forum until "My Sassy Girl" was almost done. So yes, I do a lot of reminiscing about past dramas and variety shows that I understand would be repeats for older fans. But that's because, to me...they are new. Not new in terms of chronology - but new in terms of showing me more layers of a person like JW.

I do want to say that it is a bucket list item for me to eventually get to 1N2D Season 3 - I know people in real life who watch it and have heard that it's really good. But that would also mean wrapping up Season 2 and bidding farewell in a way to the cast there that I had come to know and love. I don't know why that feels so daunting to me...it just does.

22 hours ago, ecs707a said:

9 hours ago, sagaseed said:

@ecs707a Can't believe it has been 5 years! My favourite drama too and I am forever thankful to dramabeans for introducing me to this drama. I was jobless back then so I had time to watch it as soon as it was subbed. Every episode is intense and daebak. These days, I have been thinking why didn't KBS produce a sequel to such a successful drama, and how nice if JW can be in it again? I know Gaksital is based on a popular Korean manhwa but surely they can build on the adaptation success to write a sequel? I can wish for this to happen right?

7 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Has it been 5 years already? Gaksital (and Good Doctor), will always be my most favourite dramas he's done for 2 different reasons. 

Gaksital was Gaksital. The intensity and the action scenes never fail to blow me away, and the fact that Joo Won did most of the stunts is just amazing

Whoa...all this talk about "Gaksital"! I knew it was five years ago, but since I didn't watch it in "real time", I didn't know that we're close to the five-year anniversary of its finale.

That being said, it is a pretty crazy coincidence that I, too, have had "Gaksital" on my mind and have been doing some writing about it on my blog. It took over a week's work (brainstorming, writing it out, finding pics, etc.), but if you could pardon the shameless self-advertising, as of last night, my own tribute to "Gaksital" is now ready for viewing: Living with the Times: "Gaksital" and the Grey Areas of Racism and Imperialism

Yeah, I was thinking about it in more narrative/character/thematic terms than in regards to the acting. But if anyone wants to talk about the acting specifically, feel free to let me know and we can chat here :)

I think fans who like both of them would hope to see JW collaborating with BoA too. My wish is to see JW appearing in her music videos. But I feel that they prefer to have a very private relationship. Like Rain and KTH, they will date quietly but will announce if they decide to bring the relationship to the next level. So I think we will probably only get to see "collaboration" in the form of wedding pictorials haha

And that is certainly their prerogative if that's what they want to do. :)

I already think it was really sweet that JW gave BoA acting advice while she was working on "This Week, My Wife Will Be Having an Affair" (mouthful of a title, that one!) and I have seen comments saying that she improved a lot there from her earlier acting gigs. So...maybe that counts? I don't know. We'll have to see. :wink:

Nonetheless, I hope to see them reunite for another drama again, with Park Ki-Woong. With their bromance, I don't need romance :D

That is definitely another JW Bucket List item I want to see. I would love it if PKW could be one of those actors who gets back together with JW in a drama every few years - the same way that we see JW with Jung Woong In, for instance (in "Ojakgyo Brothers", "Yong Pal" and "My Sassy Girl"). JW and PKW really have a way of bouncing off each other when they act, so they both end up getting 100% into character and the result is just epic. I noticed that in "Gaksital", obviously, but also in PKW's cameo on "Good Doctor".

I haven't found a YouTube clip that has the English subtitles (I'd seen one before, but couldn't find it again), so this will have to do. For those who don't know: Park Si On (JW) has been a resident at the hospital for a full year by this point, and he's now scolding a newcomer, Park Woong Ki (PKW). I don't recall what was actually said off the top of my head, but JW's tone of voice and PKW's woebegone puppy face are already cracking me up.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there rumours at one point that JW was being considered for the lead in "Monster" with PKW acting again as the antagonist? I know that fell through somehow since that show has already come and gone, and JW wound up with "My Sassy Girl" instead...I'm just wondering if that was ever true at some point or if my own memory is what's fuzzy.

8 hours ago, Ma OO said:

5 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Start with you dear @Ma OO .... you write the fanfic first and I'm sure kittyna can match up to that. Anyway it's good of you to come and share your opinion. Everyone is open to anything. As long as this thread doesn't lay dormant and needing resuscitation.

I'm open to the idea, but if I write fanfic, it'll be fanfic of the dramas rather than about JW himself. Of course, how anyone else chooses to do this is up to them - just laying out my stance first.

@airplanegirl Thanks for the new videos. It still cracks me up - in a good way - to see JW as the military's current poster child. :D And I love that this new Ground Forces Festival ad gives us a glimpse into what military training is like, and what life is like for an assistant instructor like him. :)

As for LSG mentioning BoA and JW...that was cute, but I feel like I missed a memo somewhere. They were talking about inviting BoA on the show, but I'm a bit confused by LSG's comment, "Because I have to do something in return. Visiting Joo Won in an episode equals casting BoA." Would anyone happen to know what he meant by that? Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

As for LSG mentioning BoA and JW...that was cute, but I feel like I missed a memo somewhere. They were talking about inviting BoA on the show, but I'm a bit confused by LSG's comment, "Because I have to do something in return. Visiting Joo Won in an episode equals casting BoA." Would anyone happen to know what he meant by that? Thanks!

BoA seldom appears in variety shows unless she's familiar with the PD or the cast. So Lee Su Geun here is joking that if they somehow manage to get Joo Won on the show, BoA would a 100% appear as a guest. 

At the same time, he is also showing how close he is to both Joo Won and BoA to be able to make such a joke. 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

That is definitely another JW Bucket List item I want to see. I would love it if PKW could be one of those actors who gets back together with JW in a drama every few years - the same way that we see JW with Jung Woong In, for instance (in "Ojakgyo Brothers", "Yong Pal" and "My Sassy Girl"). JW and PKW really have a way of bouncing off each other when they act, so they both end up getting 100% into character and the result is just epic. I noticed that in "Gaksital", obviously, but also in PKW's cameo on "Good Doctor".

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there rumours at one point that JW was being considered for the lead in "Monster" with PKW acting again as the antagonist? I know that fell through somehow since that show has already come and gone, and JW wound up with "My Sassy Girl" instead...I'm just wondering if that was ever true at some point or if my own memory is what's fuzzy.

Man oh man! I long for the day Park Ki Woong and Joo Won reunites in a drama! Like you said, they are able to play off each other when they're in a scene together, that they always end up hitting their scenes out of the park. 

I love when they showed the hosts their weird little dance they always did whenever they had to do an intense scene, and the hosts going "what's going on?" Start at 2.26

https://youtu.be/CGLtALQx2Vw?t=2m26s

One of my favourite Joo Won/Park Ki Woong videos... Even the crew were really "wtf" at their dance and even asked 'are you guys dating?' 

hLtAng6.png

This is also freaking hilarious!

http://mwave.interest.me/en/kpop-news/article/25389/park-ki-woong-praises-joo-won

• Like 3

Also, thank you for sharing clips and your thoughts on JW on 2D1N. I was busy and had limited time to catch up on JW stuff but watching those clips and reading your thoughts is a good trip down memory lane. Anyone knows where to find earlier subbed episodes of season 2? Only later episodes after 2013.5.12 is available in KBSWorld so I could not rewatch the earlier ones.

You could try here: http://kshowonline.com/category/73/1-night-2-days-s2

Some of the videos will be pretty blurry, though, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 2