Taeyeon (snsd) Failure At Seoul Drama Awards 2009

Guest spuddevaughn

i agree park hyo shin's voice don't fit well with taeyeon's... taeyeon's voice is too weak and doesn't have enough soul for such an emotional song. it's sad that she sang so off key at such an important event. but it's okay, people learn through mistakes. she's still one of the better singers of snsd. looking on the brighter side of things, at least she got the last note right~ i hope she didn't feel too horrible about it after performing. i know i would listen to myself over and over again, and feel very frustrated against myself...

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest leandaxiong

i was excited to hear her sing this song because it's one of my favorite ballads then i was like what's going on when she started singing towards the middle...it seemed like she was singing in a higher pitch than she usually sings...trust me i'm a big fan of taeyeon but this performance was not her best

I didn't watch it yet, but it kinda reminds me of her performance with some other SM artists (forgot the event),

but anyways, anyone can make mistakes...

I didn't watch it yet, but it kinda reminds me of her performance with some other SM artists (forgot the event),

but anyways, anyone can make mistakes...

Taeyeon is a GREAT singer, but seriously this was a horrible performance. I personally looked forward to this performance cause its PARK HYO SHIN AND TAEYEON! Come on. Two of Korea's best singers... but I don't think they match well as singers. And they kept fidgeting with their ear piece so I'm guessing they couldn't really hear themselves and Taeyeon just started off on a bad key and couldn't find the right key afterwards.

Guest damifino

Yes, you can critique someone if you don't know the profession, but in order to properly tell what was going on you need experience in the field. If someone you don't know dies, you'll feel sympathy but you won't feel the crashing emotions than if it had been someone you personally knew that had died. In order to properly empathize with someone you need to have had to experienced it beforehand. Thus all the 'lol she was leik totly bad singr dere' posts and the replies 'Can you do better?' They're basically saying, you have no idea how difficult it is to do this because you have no experience in the field of singing. If you're just watching on the exterior, you can always say 'Oh that looks easy', but experienced people will go 'Wow that was a really difficult move.'

This is a bad comparison. It all depends on your taste buds. Some people find mushrooms delicious, I find it disgusting. People from different cultures find some foods amazing because they've adjusted to eating it.

As I stated before, Taeyeon's singing (such as it was) wasn't the worst disaster in the world, but I find all these excuses some are coming up with, ridiculous. She did poorly, why not just accept it and move on? When you watch a sports game and an athlete trips over his own legs and shoots the goal far away from the goal post, do you say "well, at least he tried" and "he must not have had time to practice"? Of course not. Then why is the singing world all of a sudden kindergarten where effort means more than results? She is a PROFESSIONAL singer who was performing ON STAGE. What's so wrong with just acknowledging that she did poorly this time and moving on to her next performance especially if you think she is so great normally?

As for needing "experience in the field" in order to "properly tell what was going on," I guess it depends on what one considers "experience." Being a singer isn't the only experience that counts. Being a music LISTENER and OBSERVER are also experiences. You think everyone who knows all the in's and out's of a sport is knowledgeable because they know how to play the sport? It could just as well come from years of watching the sport because you are a fan of the sport... like Bob Costas and Chris Berman, who are arguably the best sportscasters on any network.

And why exactly do you have to empathize to critique a performance? What does it matter if what they have to do is easy or hard? She is a professional singer and as patrons, people can comment on how well they think she did without "feeling her pain." Just because I don't know the difficulty of doing brain surgery, does it mean that I should say "it's ok that my loved one is braindead because after all, you didn't get much sleep yesterday"? Not that this is anywhere near as valuable work, but regardless of the circumstances that surrounds them (little practice, not in their best condition, little sleep, nerves, etc.), when they show up for work, they are expected to do their job and do it well... that's why they get paid to do what they do. Taeyeon didn't fulfill her job requirement ON THAT PERFORMANCE. That is that. No amount of excuses can take away that fact.

What does it matter what "different cultures" like or dislike? This isn't a matter of personal taste. Just because someone out there might like a mayo and peanut butter sandwich doesn't mean that mayo and peanut butter sandwich is something that you should serve when guests come over. Taeyeon sang poorly according to what is acceptable by Korean and Western Culture. Sure, there might be someone out there who might like off key and out of tune performances, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm going to end this topic right now.

Opening post was started by an anti-fan.

and

They're both great singers. Taeyeon had an off performance. There was no time to practice seeing as she was in vacation for a week in Guam. The people who chose this duet are off their rockers. Opening poster is clearly an anti-fan as you can tell by word choice. Most people posting here have no idea what they're talking about and throw around the words harmonization, key, pitch, emotion, range, and tone loosely. Stop trying to sound smart when you don't know what you're talking about, it just makes you look bad.

/endtopic

So what if the thread starter is an anti? If anti opinions are invalid since they are biased, then are fangirl opinions also invalid for the same reason? Frankly speaking, I don't think the problem with the duet was only with Taeyeon. Park Hyo Shin didn't sound all that great either. This particular performance (not commenting on how they are at other times) was honestly karaoke caliber. In fact, I've heard this song sung better at a karaoke.

And you don't need to have a music degree to know that harmonization, key, pitch, emotion, range, and tone were all off... all you need are functioning ears.

I never said 'crashing emotions of singing live', it was an analogy. And actually pretty much all major music critics have been well versed in their respective careers in the past. They don't sugarcoat everything, but they know what they're talking about and can provide better criticism instead of 'that was horrible because of [completely wrong reasons]'. Being a singer usually means you're well into the foundations of music and can understand how difficult something can be because you've tried it before. Thus the empathy I was talking about.

I'm not disagreeing that the performance was off. It just irks me when people bash on someone when they don't know what was going on at the time. Similar to what happened to Jaebeom. People think that just because she had an off performance that she's a mediocre singer and that this is a total blow to her career or something.

OK, "that was horrible... period." Is that better now that someone didn't give "a completely wrong reason"? Why the need to insult others about their critiquing techniques??? And of the people who commented that she was a mediocre singer, none of them seemed to have based it on THIS performance. They apparently always thought she was a mediocre singer who was overrated.

See above with regards to "empathy."

Bad performance? So what? Are you going to hunt down every single singer who gives a bad performance? If a singer messes up or just doesn't do well in ONE performance, then is the world going to end?

ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE A THREAD TO BASH EVERY BAD PERFORMANCE?

And trust me, "plenty of other singers" have messed up in the past, so why are you so hung up on this one?

This is Soompi... folks DO hunt down every single singer who gives a bad performance and start a thread about it.

Yeah, they do sound pretty nuts because they're going with the general consensus instead of trying to form their own opinion.

I doubt folks thought that this performance was bad JUST BECAUSE OF general consensus. Oh, I don't know... their own opinion just might have had SOMETHING to do with the way that the duet actually sounded.

i wonder that too...her voice is mediocre...it's quite weak.

more like a karaoke singer...

her fans overrate her too much and give her to many excuses.

how would they know if she's having a bad day or not?

;)

that's a very ignorant assumption.

Her voice is not weak, she's the lead vocal of snsd for a reason. Besides, we don't need a Whitney-Houston-esque singer to pull of "Snow Flower". Judging her vocal ability based on one so-so performance and arriving at the conclusion that "her voice is mediocre...it's quite weak" is mighty pathetic. Taeyeon's got plenty of good performances before. Because her previous ones have been so stellar, this seemingly "weak" performance got so blown out of proportion. <_<

Guest damifino

^ That wasn't an assumption... that was her OPINION. An assumption would be you thinking that the poster came to the conclusion that Taeyeon's voice "is mediocre...it's quite weak" based on this performance alone. Another assumption would be me thinking that the poster already had this opinion before the performance, based on how I read their post.

As hard as it might be for some fans of celebrities to accept, not everyone is going to share the same opinion about your favorite as you do. That doesn't make their opinion either ignorant or pathetic, it just makes their opinion different than yours.

damn lol i forgot how beautiful park hyoshins voice was.

hes truly amazing :)

and i never knew how he looked like and hes pretty hot :o i love his hair and how hes so tall and skinny looking <3

&&

taeyeon's solo sounded nicee

her vibration was so pretty lol

BUT ohman the duet was pretty horrible....

she was pretty pitchy and off key

lol park hyo shin was looking at her with not so much like lol

HORRIBLE harmonizing. it might not be wrong but it definitely sounds pretty bad.

she looks really pretty tho

phs looks really good too!

^ That wasn't an assumption... that was her OPINION. An assumption would be you thinking that the poster came to the conclusion that Taeyeon's voice "is mediocre...it's quite weak" based on this performance alone. Another assumption would be me thinking that the poster already had this opinion before the performance, based on how I read their post.

As hard as it might be for some fans celebrities to believe, not everyone is going to share the same opinion about your favorite as you do. That doesn't make their opinion ignorant or pathetic, just different than yours.

I said it was an assumption because the person "assumed" that taeyeon's a weak singer based on the performance ALONE. Of course assumptions are always opinions. Contrary to how you read the post, I believe he/she didn't know about Taeyeon's vocal ability before but has assumed that she's a weak singer, which obviously is NOT true. I called it ignorant because it is. It's like how can you scream bloody murder just because someone's holding a knife. I agree with people who think the performance was bad yadiyadiyada, but one bad performance=bad singer? plz.

Guest CitrusFlower

that's a very ignorant assumption.

Her voice is not weak, she's the lead vocal of snsd for a reason. Besides, we don't need a Whitney-Houston-esque singer to pull of "Snow Flower". Judging her vocal ability based on one so-so performance and arriving at the conclusion that "her voice is mediocre...it's quite weak" is mighty pathetic. Taeyeon's got plenty of good performances before. Because her previous ones have been so stellar, this seemingly "weak" performance got so blown out of proportion. <_<

How is that ignorant and pathetic? Good performances doesn't make a her a good singer, although I don't think she sucks at singing but in terms of vocals and power she lacks it.

I said it was an assumption because the person "assumed" that taeyeon's a weak singer based on the performance ALONE. Of course assumptions are always opinions. Contrary to how you read the post, I believe he/she didn't know about Taeyeon's vocal ability before but has assumed that she's a weak singer, which obviously is NOT true. I called it ignorant because it is. It's like how can you scream bloody murder just because someone's holding a knife. I agree with people who think the performance was bad yadiyadiyada, but one bad performance=bad singer? plz.

Aren't you making an assumption by saying she is judging by only one performance

Guest damifino

No, YOU assumed that the person's views are based on the performance alone. The poster you quoted stated no such thing in their post.

It is your OPINION that Taeyeon being a weak singer is obviously not true and any opinion that disagrees is ignorant. Just as it was the other poster's OPINION that Taeyeon was a mediocre singer and had a weak voice. These things are just your respective personal beliefs and judgment.

Assumptions may or may not be right, but opinions are just that... opinions. People have differing opinions. One opinion isn't any more valid than another unless it's based on false assumptions.

As I stated before, Taeyeon's singing (such as it was) wasn't the worst disaster in the world, but I find all these excuses some are coming up with, ridiculous. She did poorly, why not just accept it and move on? When you watch a sports game and an athlete trips over his own legs and shoots the goal far away from the goal post, do you say "well, at least he tried" and "he must not have had time to practice"? Of course not. Then why is the singing world all of a sudden kindergarten where effort means more than results? She is a PROFESSIONAL singer who was performing ON STAGE. What's so wrong with just acknowledging that she did poorly this time and moving on to her next performance especially if you think she is so great normally?

If you haven't noticed, we're fans. We don't want people to get a bad impression of Taeyeon just because of a performance, so anyone who hasn't heard her before we attempt to clear it up. Regular people don't just 'move on' if they see someone they like getting bashed.

As for needing "experience in the field" in order to "properly tell what was going on," I guess it depends on what one considers "experience." Being a singer isn't the only experience that counts. Being a music LISTENER and OBSERVER are also experiences. You think everyone who knows all the in's and out's of a sport is knowledgeable because they know how to play the sport? It could just as well come from years of watching the sport because you are a fan of the sport... like Bob Costas and Chris Berman, who are arguably the best sportscasters on any network.

Extensive study only gets you so far. You can only get so far with learning theory before you have to do it yourself in order to truly understand what goes on behind the scenes. People can read for years on how to sing, but that doesn't mean they'll know accurately know how difficult it is until they try it themselves.

And why exactly do you have to empathize to critique a performance? What does it matter if what they have to do is easy or hard? She is a professional singer and as patrons, people can comment on how well they think she did without "feeling her pain." Just because I don't know the difficulty of doing brain surgery, does it mean that I should say "it's ok that my loved one is braindead because after all, you didn't get much sleep yesterday"? Not that this is anywhere near as valuable work, but regardless of the circumstances that surrounds them (little practice, not in their best condition, little sleep, nerves, etc.), when they show up for work, they are expected to do their job and do it well... that's why they get paid to do what they do. Taeyeon didn't fulfill her job requirement ON THAT PERFORMANCE. That is that. No amount of excuses can take away that fact.

You need to empathize to critique a performance in order to give a proper response. If someone bursts out crying in the middle of a show because someone asked them about their husband, and nobody knows that he is dead yet, they are being unprofessional. Are the producers going to fire her because of that? No, because they would look like an richard simmons. And I didn't know that a surgery counted as a performance, or that a performance is potentially deadly.

What does it matter what "different cultures" like or dislike? This isn't a matter of personal taste. Just because someone out there might like a mayo and peanut butter sandwich doesn't mean that mayo and peanut butter sandwich is something that you should serve when guests come over. Taeyeon sang poorly according to what is acceptable by Korean and Western Culture. Sure, there might be someone out there who might like off key and out of tune performances, but that's neither here nor there.

I didn't think that music counted as food.

So what if the thread starter is an anti? If anti opinions are invalid since they are biased, then are fangirl opinions also invalid for the same reason? Frankly speaking, I don't think the problem with the duet was only with Taeyeon. Park Hyo Shin didn't sound all that great either. This particular performance (not commenting on how they are at other times) was honestly karaoke caliber. In fact, I've heard this song sung better at a karaoke.

And you don't need to have a music degree to know that harmonization, key, pitch, emotion, range, and tone were all off... all you need are functioning ears.

The difference is, anti-fans are blinded by hatred. Regular fans are not 'blinded by love' or whatever you can come up with, simply because not all fans love their idols. Some just enjoy their music, there are plenty of logical fans. Anti-fans and logic are oxymorons, as they wouldn't be anti-fans in the first place if they used logic at the correct moments.

You need to have a more advanced understanding of music in order to properly discuss what was wrong, and a trained ear in order to specifically tell what was wrong. Music is more complex than just simple keys and tones, as you can't play a piece of music just by listening to it unless you're gifted with that talent or with a lot of practice, thus the reason why you need to be somewhat intertwined into the music industry in order to pick apart a performance.

OK, "that was horrible... period." Is that better now that someone didn't give "a completely wrong reason"? Why the need to insult others about their critiquing techniques??? And of the people who commented that she was a mediocre singer, none of them seemed to have based it on THIS performance. They apparently always thought she was a mediocre singer who was overrated.

There are people who haven't bothered to listened to Taeyeon before and have based their opinions off her in this single performance.

I don't see why you had to bump this topic just to argue with an issue that's already dead. There's a more recent topic for you to post in.

Guest _Zoolander_

I was gonna say something but I somehow ended up getting sidetracked browsing some of her other performances :lol:

I Have A Lover

Celine Dion Because You Love Me

As Time Goes (Tasha)

common words like 'I love you'

Kangta & Taeyeon - 7989

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMdA7zsjn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwpjNHrCwK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRiaUQMqfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZXnjn2E2Y

Part of the problem is the harmony is louder than the melody. It sounds better off broadcast on the fan cams because the levels are right.

Honestly it wasn't THAT bad. I've certainly heard much worse all the time on music shows. Even if it was some kind of abomination I don't see why every bad performance needs a thread. Although I do realize some people love to pile on.

Speaking of, can we stop with these trash threads? (nice title btw. lol) Doesn't even encourage good discussions, and it always turns out the same way. Keyboard warriors battle on and on and it just ends up being a pissing contest for 10+ pages.

^^

holy crap

the celine dion one was really good

especially the girl with the longer hair

That's Seo Hyun (I don't think I ever heard her sing before so I was surprised).

It's funny, I was watching that clip and my sister said, "Are they Korean? They sing better than the Wonder Girls" lol.

That was so random.

Guest plumblossoms

She was probably nervous singing with Park Hyo Shin... I don't really understand the whole point of this thread :/ if you're just wanting to make a thread where people can bash her about her performance and how she was a "failure". A lot of artists don't perform 100% sometimes. Not a big deal.

Archived