Korean Netizens Are Not Happy With Jaebeom

Guest Ssaga_G

Ash, not that I think you WANT Jaebum to be publically punished in front of millions or something about this, but don't worry-- most of the defending is amongst soompi/international fans; in Korea, flashing his stomach is only going to cause people to curse him even more right now and wouldn't do a thing but get him bashed. Sticking up to boybands are till no end in Korea....until their country gets involved-- and then they don't care who you are...you're pretty much in hot heat if you say something about it.

Sorry, but to everybody who's saying "Korean netizens need to open up their minds and stop thinking for themselves" or "Being a Korean American is completely different than being Korean-born-- they need to understand that." -- I think it'd be good to take your own advice and try to open your minds to see Korean people's perspectives and to put yourselves in their shoes and see how it feels if you read what he wrote as a Korean-born person. You're all practically doing the same thing as they are being closed minded by "understanding" ONLY him and lashing them out because all you see is being a Korean American too, and easily seeing where he's coming from when they obviously cannot, and they really have no reason to.

Koreans are very sensitive when it comes to their nationality and feel very united as ONE...even apologizing on another Korean person's behalf when they do something wrong, which is why some of their racist remarks happen because they see every other race as one as well (if you know the Korean history and why they're so sensitive about their country, you would understand) So no matter how hypocritical it is, when somebody mocks Korea, they blow up-- it's just their nature whether it is right or wrong, and seeing someone who they probably see as a Korean no matter how long he's been in the states, they probably feel very betrayed and hit some sensitive nerves. I'm not saying I don't see Jaebum's perspective because I think all you girls in here got that covered and I do agree that what he said wasn't this big of a deal because YOU and I know what he meant, but just speaking for the Korean netizens and why I understand them being upset-- and they have no reason to know about that atrocious slang term for "gay" meaning "stupid"-- it's not really used there, so "gay" to them just probably means "gay=homosexual" there fore to them, Jaebum called their country gay-- and its not like what he really meant "stupid" is much better.

So....."They need to understand him because _____________" is what you guys are saying, and it's good to have an open mind about people's mistakes, but if you can do that, I think you should take the time to try and understand their point of view too because...them blowing up at this is pretty valid if you were in their shoes.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lishathestain

UPDATE: JAY'S APPOLOGY

Hello everyone this is 2PM’s Park Jaebum. I would like to apologize on behalf of the comments I had made through Myspace a few years ago. I’m sorry.

As I tell all of you about how I felt that time, I also would like to apologize. In January of 2005, I came to Korea as a high school student. I was born in the States and I had insufficient knowledge of how Korea is. Being it my first time, I couldn’t communicate with others, my taste buds didn’t fit, and I barely knew the culture which I couldn’t understand.

I felt as though I was treated coldly by the people around me as my family was left in the States. It was such a difficult situation where I didn’t even know if I was going to debut. Due to many hardships, things were getting too hard and I was getting lonely being homesick. I had the thoughts of quitting and I wanted to go back to my family in the States. The comment based on the Korea part: I wrote that because of my personal situation I was placed in and my emotions took over. I was too young and said things in the wrong words. I was too foolish, young, and facing difficulties where I made the mistake into turning my surroundings worse. Time passed by and I forgot that I had even written them. I am now embarrassed and truly sorry of those comments I had made. After that time, I had adjusted to everything and my thoughts have changed tremendously as I thank the people around me to get me to perform on stage in any situation. Those comments were made four years ago, but I am a different person now. To my family, Hottests, members of 2PM, and those who love 2PM, I am truly sorry. From now on, I hope that there will be no mistakes like this ever again. I will say it one more time that I am truly sorry.

-2PM’s Jaebum-

source.

well there. i guess this is all a guy idol need to be apologized lol.

and i know he changed so that's good...

Guest kimmi.kami

Honestly, I don't care about it D:

it was 4 YEARS AGO!

cmonn :[

im still a fan of jay park ~

EDITED: looks like Jay apologized,

=] , hopefully his korean fans still love him~

jay is american. of course he would talk like that!!!! the u.s. and korea are completely different i'm sure he must have experienced some kind of culture shock....and besides he was just a kid i'm sure he feels embarrassed about what he said cuz i'm embarrassed for him...check it out yo'''''.....lol i'd be embarrassed if i was caught with that spelling!

XP

Im confused, why are people saying that he was "just a kid" when

this was 4 years ago and he was already 18? How is 18 considered a kid?

Guest colloquy

Everyone who goes "First of all, I'm Korean and I understand him," needs to stop. No you're not a Korean citizen, you're probably Korean by blood, raised outside of the country. You and all the other non-Koreans don't understand why Taeyeon's comment about black people was ignored while the Koreans don't understand why Jay would attack Korea. In their eyes, Jay betrayed his homeland, some may even consider him a foreigner attacking their country.

Yeah, I think this situation just exposes a difference between native Koreans and Korean-Americans. Koreans are patriotic... even more so than Americans if you ask me. Although in the US we're more patriotic then, let's say in Germany, a lot of people complain about this country and nobody really cares -that- much. But, most native Koreans simply don't understand how it is to immigrate to another country and face the obvious cultural differences between USA and Korea... obviously, two major different trains of thought in both countries. You're most likely going to feel homesick.

Guest poco123

I feel so bad for Jay

First of all, invasion of privacy. Gosh, people who want to damage his career are digging through his own personal website and looking through his conversations.

Seriously, give him a break? He was a trainee who came to Korea knowing nothing, training day after day hoping to debut. At his age at that time, it would've been really hard. He was living without his parents, couldn't adjust to culture very well. He said in interviews himself. He didn't like the food, he didn't know Korean, he didn't know anybody, etc. He still isn't very good at Korean and his favourite food is still hamburgers. He's American. He was there for 17 years and he's only been in Korea for 4 years. He's trying hard to adapt.

How he said it, sure it's immature, everything is in slang...whatever. Isn't that how most teens type nowadays? It's part of him..so what? About his actual comment? I'm Korean, currently in Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen but if anybody asked me about my country I'd say Korean without hesitance. I have pride in being Korean. However, I was not offended by his comment. There are times when I hate Koreans and the culture itself. It's quite ridiculous at times. So if someone like me thinks like this, think about Jay who didn't know anything about the culture and lived with a language barrier for 4 years, training everyday and living off a thread of hope in Korea. Also, in Korea, if you're Korean but you don't know Korean very well or if you speak English, you're treated very coldly. If you speak English they think you're showing off. If you don't know Korean, they just ignore you. I was in Korea a couple years ago and I was treated this way. Imagine living there and having to deal with that.

He was young and ranting to his friends. So what? What is the big deal? This shouldn't even be made into a big deal. I feel really bad for him. What a great thing to deal with after 2PM's anniversary -_-;;;;

That's my rant.

Guest clouds4ME

I call my best friends gay, doesnt mean their homo.

I guess if i went to a new place without anyone that i know there with me, i

would probably say something more harsh.

I wish his apology included Korea in general in his list of people he's addressing his apology to..but all in all I'm glad he genuinely apologized. and I do feel bad for him that this had to catch up like this so unexpectedly cus it must be shocking and embarrassing at the same time.

Even though he said it very ignorantly, I know what he meant and know he was an immature kid so I'm not really going to say anything about him in general, but just hoping people can understand why netizens would be angry at what he did, and it wasn't a dumb thing to get fired up about.

Ash, not that I think you WANT Jaebum to be publically punished in front of millions or something about this, but don't worry-- most of the defending is amongst soompi/international fans; in Korea, flashing his stomach is only going to cause people to curse him even more right now and wouldn't do a thing but get him bashed. Sticking up to boybands are till no end....until their country gets involved-- and then they don't care who you are...you're pretty much in hot heat.

Sorry, but to everybody who's saying "Korean netizens need to open up their minds and stop thinking for themselves" or "Being a Korean American is completely different than being Korean-born-- they need to understand that." -- I think it'd be good to take your own advice and try to open your minds to see Korean people's perspectives and to put yourselves in their shoes and see how it feels if you read what he wrote as a Korean-born person. You're all practically doing the same thing as they are being closed minded by "understanding" ONLY him and lashing them out because all you see is being a Korean American too, and easily seeing where he's coming from when they obviously cannot, and they really have no reason to.

Koreans are very sensitive when it comes to their nationality and feel very united as ONE...even apologizing on another Korean person's behalf when they do something wrong, which is why some of their racist remarks happen because they see every other race as one as well (if you know the Korean history and why they're so sensitive about their country, you would understand) So no matter how hypocritical it is, when somebody mocks Korea, they blow up-- it's just their nature whether it is right or wrong, and seeing someone who they probably see as a Korean no matter how long he's been in the states, they probably feel very betrayed and hit some sensitive nerves. I'm not saying I don't see Jaebum's perspective because I think all you girls in here got that covered and I do agree that what he said wasn't this big of a deal because YOU and I know what he meant, but just speaking for the Korean netizens and why I understand them being upset-- and they have no reason to know about that atrocious slang term for "gay" meaning "stupid"-- it's not really used there, so "gay" to them just probably means "gay=homosexual" there fore to them, Jaebum called their country gay-- and its not like what he really meant "stupid" is much better.

So....."They need to understand him because _____________" is what you guys are saying, and it's good to have an open mind about people's mistakes, but if you can do that, I think you should take the time to try and understand their point of view too because...them blowing up at this is pretty valid if you were in their shoes.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Soompi users and Korean fans have completely different perspectives, and we'll just have to accept that neither side can fully appreciate the other's viewpoint, no matter how hard they try. I can think of some reasons for him lashing out like that, seeing as he grew up in such a ghetto surrounding, but nevertheless, netizens are going to chew him out for that.

I guess the only thing left to see is how Koreans react to his apology.

By the way, does anyone know where that apology came from?

@Scribbles

Dun worry dear I was just being sarcastic about the shirt lifting part lol

but yeah, people can make all the excuses they want but you cannot get mad at the people who felt offended by his remarks.

Anyways I'm glad he explained himself and apologized, he admitted he was in the wrong in the past and now his fangirls should do the same.

What makes me mad is that everyone says

"Its just four years ago" and "He didn't know any better"

but they wouldn't say the same thing if it was a female idol.

I mean yes I do understand Jay, and I AM trying to forgive him but

I just wish people could understand female idols the same way

and give them such a hard time trying to have their apologies

accepted when in a male idol a simple apology is all that is needed.

To the main point, I hope Jay gets through this situation

and netizens forgive him, but even I had a hard time figuring out

where my views on his apology and mistake. I hope none of

you find this post offending or anything because I DO SUPPORT JAY.

I love him & 2PM, but i'm just removing the bias opinions from my mind

and looking at this from a non-biased point of view that is very important

to use when forgiving an idol.

Guest thu_trang

If he really regretted those comments, he would have deleted them A LONG time ago. These comments were found recently, so he obviously didn't give a crap.

Everyone who goes "First of all, I'm Korean and I understand him," needs to stop. No you're not a Korean citizen, you're probably Korean by blood, raised outside of the country. You and all the other non-Koreans don't understand why Taeyeon's comment about black people was forgiven while the Koreans don't understand why Jay would attack Korea. In their eyes, Jay is a foreigner hating on their precious nation.

oh please , he didn't give a crap because he didn't think that korean netizens r "gay" enough to dig up this old richard simmons up ! but that's not the case now , jaebum has got a taste of how feakin' busy body korean netizens can get

i'm not korean so i dun fully understand what the hell is the big deal about this , but seriously i go around and say my country is gay everyday , but no one take that seriously and just get the hell over it because obviously they know i dun mean to offend anyone but just having a bad day out of all day

from the POV of a foreigner , the place i live , there're tons of korean , i have known them and their personality so well ,. i love korean culture , the music , the food , the country but sorry not the people , i'm sorry to say this but koreans where i live r one of the most ignorant and rude ppl i've seen in my life , they dun mix wif other ppl , they r so self-centered as if they think like they r some kind of effin' god , so i can understand how jaebum might feel when he first came there !

and seriously korean netizens need to stop being such a freakin' hypocrite because they r not so much better than these celebs , they go around cursing , smoking , spitting like crazy ( this is not just from me POV , this is a fact that lots of my friends who have gone to korea told me ) and here they act like the never make any mistakes in life !

so peace as jay always says , if he ever quits , dun worry baby , there r still other non-busy-body ppl who will always drool at ur precious abs !

Guest disfunktional.

source.

well there. i guess this is all a guy idol need to be apologized lol.

and i know he changed so that's good...

Hm~ since he apologized maybe the netizens will let it go cause he's a male idol. who knows yet.

This is really bad for 2PM cause they've only been around for a year, their fan base isn't exactly stable. But then, it was written in 2005/2007 and he'd be super-dude if he remembered saying it to even delete it after he debut.

And doesn't everyone love 2PM because of their carefree, straight forward, inappropriate idol-less personalities?

When I was watching Idol Show & Wild Bunny I knew one of them were going to say something mindless, despite how much I love Jay he's the most immature and doesn't consider what he says >____>

It was pretty ehhh...of him to delete his myspace after this incident happened (I didn't get to see it!), that's like running away from the situation -.-

Guest Allison

Awh, Jay deleted his myspace. Hope he still has a way to talk with his friends from the states.

Can't blame Jay for what he said like four years ago. I'm glad he apologized for his mistakes <3 love you, Jay! aha.

Everyone talks crap but having been an 18-year-old, he should've realized that, celebrity or not, his words on the Internet could be one day used against him.

I'm not a fan nor am I a hater. I'm not saying that the situation is inexcusable, but it's not the quite "oh whatever it's nothing" everyone thinks it to be. We have to adopt a culturally relativistic point of view in forming an opinion about this, because patriotism in Asian countries is such an integrated part of their identity that most would not look upon this lightly.

Guest fallen*angel

ew im more grossed out by how he talks like a ghetto black girl.

lol this comment made me laugh

aw man, theres still lots of korean fans that turned their back on him after they found out about this :[[

Archived