VISITING KOREA

Guest mleung87

well i hear the kangnam NB is better than the hongdae one... but yeah, thats the place to go if u like hip hop... i think mat-mata is still open in hongdae, thats a trance club... some crazy richard simmons stories from that place, but anyways... bunch of others too...

one upscale bar is S-Bar in Cheong-dam dong. Thats one of those places u will start going to if u chill in korea long enough...

booking clubs, two main ones are juliana's and NYLA... both are nice, but I like NYLA better... but ur not gonna be able to get in unless u kno peeps... my last homie that took me to NYLA had crazy hookups. He made one phone call, and we skipped a block long wait line, and had a table literally brought out and set up just for us in the middle of the floor.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rockydonnatelli

I am going back to Vietnam this summer. Were flying Korean Airline. So when get to Korea we have to wait 9 hours for the next plane to Vietnam. anyone who has a passport can go into Seoul. I am exited because i've always wanted to visit Korea

So what can I do in Korea for only 9 hours??

Guest Bannannaa

HAHAHA! your title made me laugh XD!! but my friend did that when she went vietnam too!! had to switch planes in korea~ *i have no idea though sorry*

• 2 weeks later...
Guest narukazn

hey everyone, i'm going to seoul really soon and i still haven't figured out which area in seoul i should stay in. :sweatingbullets: any suggestions?

thanks

Guest MinWoo4ever

dongdaemun area =D

it's a nice place!

I used to stay @ BiWon hotel

It's at JongNo 5-ga ^^ around that area

just 1 station from dongdaemun~

Love,

Ingrid~

are you looking for a nice hotel or just the area in general?

i think dongdaemun would be a good choice because it's in the middle of seoul and its near places like myungdong, hongdae etc. its also mad fun there at night so if you're staying there you don't have to worry about catching a cab or getting a ride home (subways close at 11)

Guest homesoy

I stayed at the Best Western Dongdaemun. It was great because it was right in the middle of the shopping and tourist spots. I really suggest you stay at the hotel because the rates are reasonable, the airport shuttle lets off quite close by, and its clean. The downside is that you can't have more than 2 people per room, which makes it difficult if you have a lot of people travelling with you.

If you're on a budget, I would highly recommend Namsan Guesthouse. As the name mentions, its located right smack in Namsan in a modest residential area, just a quick 5 min walk to Myung Dong and 10 min walk to Myung Dong station. Its perched on a small hill, up the slope. If you're too lazy to walk, there's always the free shuttle to Namdamun and Dongdaemun market (which I don't see why you should take because you explore more places by walking).

The staff there are friendly and always approachable. The last time I was there, Robin and another staff by surname of Shin (don't know what his full name is but I think he owns the place) were very hospitable and both are proficient in English (considering they're native Koreans). Rooms aren't like what you get in hotels but they're clean and nothing to complain about. Rates are reasonable too.

Here's the website: http://www.namsanguesthouse.com/index_e.html

Clubs/bars

Hongik university area. I didn't visit the place myself but my friends who were there said they had a blast! Bar hopping and all.

Shopping

1) Ewha university district. They have such cute boutiques that are worth checking out. Plus trendy cafes if your legs need a rest from all the walking.

2) Dongdaemun. The whole sale market (a multi-level building actually) which a good variety of up-to-date apparel.

3) COEX mall - food, retail, everything really.

Shopping in Seoul is generally more expensive than in Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand so prepare lots of money! I was just back from Las Vegas and in fact I think the clothes I purchased in US factory outlets were cheaper than those in Seoul. Of course, I'm comparing the quality and fashion. Not brands.

Another thing, I've learnt never to bargain with the ahjumas in Dongdaemun if I'm really not serious in buying the item. They can get quite nasty =/

Most of the time when you're buying a small item, the sales staff won't give you a carrier. I think its good that they adopt an environmentally-friendly culture.

Transportation

I never took the bus while in Seoul. I didn't come across any proper signs (they were probably in Korean or hidden somewhere) and the whole system looked so complicated so I got around by cab or the subway. One station may have many exits so always have a clear mind when riding the subway =P

Do take note that there's an extra charge for cabs after a certain hour. I still find them the most convenient way of travelling within the city. Pricing is reasonable and you get to your destination faster than taking the subway/bus.

style (fashion)

Koreans have a great sense of fahsion. Locals there (especially the youngsters and middle-aged ones) dress pretty well.

Guest vondunker

^ My Name is Kim Sam Soon, i saw that Daniel Henney is actually residing in that sort of house, and i was very keen in one of them because the room rates are affordable! i was impressed with the webside u provide above. Thank you clride.

Well, is there any more guesthouse(with website) you guys know of? So we can make a comparison out of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fa-abulous

Hey!!!...well some friends and I are planning to take a trip to South Korea this summer...and I was wondering if anybody whose been there or lives there could give me some advice about korea...and suggestions about things there...

like: Places to stay

Places to eat

Places to visit and go...and anything that will keep us busy...and let us have a fun time there...

we're hoping to stay at least 2 to 3 weeks...and hoping to meet or spot celebrities there!!!...

thanks... :D

Guest eumsung

try searching travel agencies for accomodation.. and there's restaurants and cafes and fast food joints everywhere in seoul so no problem with food... unless you can't handle spicy then you have to be selective... celebs are around myung dong, apgujung, daehakro (hye hwa dong) and kangnam i heard... i met ok dong ja randomly on the street at hye hwa dong.. i think that's where gag concert is held. shopping would be dong dae mun and malls like shin sae gye and lotte and stuff.. go to Lotte world and Everland (amusement parks) and kyung bok goong (old krn palace).

if you really want to travel go to pusan and jaejudo as well..

hope i was helpful.. i'm going in march for a year but i'll be meeting celebs the easy way. connections. my cousin tutors han ga in and han ji hye english so i'll be meeting them at their house.. MUHAHAHAHAHA

Guest fa-abulous

try searching travel agencies for accomodation.. and there's restaurants and cafes and fast food joints everywhere in seoul so no problem with food... unless you can't handle spicy then you have to be selective... celebs are around myung dong, apgujung, daehakro (hye hwa dong) and kangnam i heard... i met ok dong ja randomly on the street at hye hwa dong.. i think that's where gag concert is held. shopping would be dong dae mun and malls like shin sae gye and lotte and stuff.. go to Lotte world and Everland (amusement parks) and kyung bok goong (old krn palace).

if you really want to travel go to pusan and jaejudo as well..

hope i was helpful.. i'm going in march for a year but i'll be meeting celebs the easy way. connections. my cousin tutors han ga in and han ji hye english so i'll be meeting them at their house.. MUHAHAHAHAHA

Oh...thanks for the tips, they'll be very helpful!!!...but gosh I can't believe you get things the easy way....i'm so jeolous!!!...why are you going there for a year????that's a long time....but anyways...hope you have fun there!!!...

Guest devylann

my sis and I are also going to South Korea in the summer...prob late june to early july...... anyone know what's good to do????....like clubs and concerts???......

what about jeju island...what's good to do there???....anyone....????

Archived