VISITING KOREA

Guest mleung87

Guest mleung87

Hotspots, Tips, Stalking Celebrities and more
Hey everyone.

I know there have been many threads open regarding visiting Korea - but wouldn't it be nice if we could compile all that information into one thread for others too?

I'm visiting Seoul, Korea myself for the first time this summer. I'm not Korean, and I don't really speak Korean (unless you count the few phrases I pick up from Korean dramas).

It be great if you guys could share your past experiences in Seoul (or other cities/places) that you've been to, such as:

- hotspots

- clubs/bars

- shopping

- restaurants

- cafes

- transportation

- style (fashion)

and most importantly, haha, what are the possibilities of running into a celebirty? anyone know of the hot spots that they frequent? haha, i'll definitely be doing some celebrity stalking ;)

Feel free to add more to the list.

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!

Thanks for your help guys :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest amiga

- hot spots, Shopping

Myeong Dong- quite a good shopping place. There are lots of clothes, shoes, jewelry blah blah there. There's also quite a good jook place and really tall ice cream there. The ice cream is worth trying!

Apgujeong, Rodeo street- kinda fun too.. Nothing much to do in the day but it's great at night. all the shops open at night.

Namdaemun- People like it but i don't.

Dongdaemun- Lots of shopping :D

Kangnam- Lots to do there too.. just walk around.

- Clubs/Bars

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON!- It's at apgujeong and you won't miss it! It's great and lots of celebs go there. Many shows and music videos shot there too.

- restaurants

It depends on what you want to eat. Most stuff that have lots of people in it are mainly edible.

When i go to korea i just go shopping and i eat at any random shop i come across. I ate at Eric's Market O in kangnam area and i was impressed. just ask the hotel counter person and he'll print some map for you and just give it to the taxi driver and you should get there ^^

- transportation

Cabs are very very expensive in korea as compared to all the other countries and because of the traffic jams, the prices get even higher. you can try taking the subway which i highly dislike but usually take anyway. It's quite fast though climbing up the subway steps and walking to the station can be a chore. :tongue2: transportation is kinda annoying in korea.

- fashion

clothes are nice in korea. again, expensive expensive expensive. some shops, i mean MOST shops don't let you try the clothes. they may let you try the pants but not shirts so be prepared to pay around 50 usd for some flimsy shirt that you're not even allowed to try anyway. some people don't want to get business. but there are lots of nice clothes there that you'd probably not mind spending on. overall i'd say that the stuff there are good. the locals dress quite nicely.

i have no idea how to stalk, i'm sorry >< but you can go to my thread and look at some businesses opened by celebs!

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58582

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Guest mel_orange88

nice thread..keep the suggestions coming pls!! ^^

I might be going to Korean at the end of the year!...heh...stalking XD...

Guest mleung87

Wow. Those are some really good pointers. So detailed and specific. I'll definitely be visiting the places you recommended, and the famous businesses. Haha, keep the suggestions coming! Thanks SO MUCH!

Guest stellabella

I'm in Busan right now and all of my family is pretty busy all the time, so they can't really take me anywhere. I've decided just to go places alone (my parents would kill me if they found out) while the family is out, so that I'm not bored. SOmetimes my cousin is here and he'll take me places, but he's really into drinking and I don't like to watch him drink lol.

Anyone know any good shopping centers around here? I've already been to Seomyeon and plan to go back...but I need more places to go!

Guest shelby

Hi,

Hope you locals or frequent visitors to Korea, Seoul can help with accommodation or location suggestions. I will be going on holiday to Seoul in October and wondering whats the best place to stay or best location?

This will be my first time to Seoul and I have sort of narrowed it down to:-

1.Best Western Dongdaemon Hotel - because it is near Dongdaemon market and lots of shopping departments. I think its near the Dongdaemon train station so I can take the train to Itaewon, Insa-dong etc and then come back in the evening and shop at the Dongdaemon markets because they are open till late. What do you guys think? Is it a pretty safe and secure area at night?

2.Seoul Guest House - because it is recommended as an experience living in a traditional Korean House. Its located near Insa-dong for shopping. The Anguk train station is nearby and I can take the train to go to Dongdaemon markets and Itawon etc. Is it a pretty safe and secure area at night?

Any suggestions welcome!! Thanks!

Shelby.

Guest yobsinnet

Hi,

Hope you locals or frequent visitors to Korea, Seoul can help with accommodation or location suggestions. I will be going on holiday to Seoul in October and wondering whats the best place to stay or best location?

This will be my first time to Seoul and I have sort of narrowed it down to:-

1.Best Western Dongdaemon Hotel - because it is near Dongdaemon market and lots of shopping departments. I think its near the Dongdaemon train station so I can take the train to Itaewon, Insa-dong etc and then come back in the evening and shop at the Dongdaemon markets because they are open till late. What do you guys think? Is it a pretty safe and secure area at night?

2.Seoul Guest House - because it is recommended as an experience living in a traditional Korean House. Its located near Insa-dong for shopping. The Anguk train station is nearby and I can take the train to go to Dongdaemon markets and Itawon etc. Is it a pretty safe and secure area at night?

Any suggestions welcome!! Thanks!

Shelby.

I'm not that much of a visitor of korea I just go like once a summer and I stay at a relatives. But on your question about if its a safe area. I remember my girl cousin not wanting to go out at night alone. If the guest house is that "traditional" that might mean those squate toilets which you might not like (who knows you might like it). There are trains and buses everywhere so I don't really think it'll matter where the place is as long as there is a street nearby.

Guest astar

i'm going this summer...we're staying in the sofitel, apparently it's like 5 star or whatnot, but i don't think it's traditional

we're staying at a hyundai hotel, too

Guest shelby

stay in westin camino in korea iss da best

Thanks for replying rightdurr. I had a look for Westin Camino in Asiarooms website but the closest name I could find was Westin Chosun Hotel. Is this the same hotel you are talking about? Its five star.

I'm not that much of a visitor of korea I just go like once a summer and I stay at a relatives. But on your question about if its a safe area. I remember my girl cousin not wanting to go out at night alone. If the guest house is that "traditional" that might mean those squate toilets which you might not like (who knows you might like it). There are trains and buses everywhere so I don't really think it'll matter where the place is as long as there is a street nearby.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Hehehe....never thought about those squate toilets..and no I don't really like them either.

i'm going this summer...we're staying in the sofitel, apparently it's like 5 star or whatnot, but i don't think it's traditional

we're staying at a hyundai hotel, too

I'll check them both out. Thanks.

Guest rightdurr

Thanks for replying rightdurr. I had a look for Westin Camino in Asiarooms website but the closest name I could find was Westin Chosun Hotel. Is this the same hotel you are talking about? Its five star.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Hehehe....never thought about those squate toilets..and no I don't really like them either.

I'll check them both out. Thanks.

o yea sry westin chosun hotel

caminos spanish for way cuz i went to a westin camino in guatemala

Hey people.. sorry if this was ever raised alrights??

My dad's going to Korea, Seoul for a seminar thingie and he just asked me, ' Assuming i have time to do some gift shopping, what do you want me to buy for you from Korea?'

For someone who has never been to Korea and only knowledge abt Korea comes from the drama serials, Im rather clueless. So can you guys introduce me to some stuff, decorative items, etc etc... tt are unique and uh...affordable?

Thanks much in advance!!

Guest eumsung

well, i usually ask for cds.. but you could ask for perhaps clothes or something.. is there anything you need which might be cheaper in korea? if it's just a little souvenier i guess key rings or something is ok..

girl- if your dad has fashion sense, ask for jewwlery, hand bags, make up, shoes, etc. i would especially ask for hand bags because you can get them for like 10 bucks with really cute designs and material. you can't find quality for that cheap in the states.

Guest sonhyangel

well.. for a girl, they have many nice pens and pencils and other stationary stuff that's cheap..

i would say no shoes(or many clothes for that matter), because korean companies often make them expensive because they care a lot about the brand + cost... i.e. when you buy $200 shoes you are cooler than someone who paid only $100.. etc.....

Guest fluffpuff

ask for one of those imitation branded bags (LV, Gucci, Balenciaga, Chloe, etc). Korea does really great imitation goods. warning: they don't come cheap.

Guest mleung87

Does anyone know if Seoul is, generally speaking, a safe place?

As well, does anyone know where the filming location for Full House is?

Archived