VISITING KOREA

Guest mleung87

Hmm ... the Lotte Hotel which holds Lotte World and Department Store is prety well known.

Also, I believe the Sheraton Hotel there is really nice.

I don't think there are audiences for X-man/LL unless it's a special. I'm not completely sure though. They usually do it in a studio and is 'scripted' as I've heard.

Mods should move this to the Soompi Network section. You'll get more help there. :)

i've never hear of lotte world..lols

hmm i 'll have to look at that hotel

so far i looked at the American Branch Hotels..

ex: Renaissance, Imperial Palace..hmm still searching though..

thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 장_nahn_꾸_ruh_기

i stayed at Lotte Hotel

the whole underground of it is soooo huge

i loved it

it's in like layers: top is the hotel floors, then below that is the shopping mall, then on the bottom is the grocery store

it has everything you need

plus, it's it's got Lotte world (amusement park)

awesome place

Hotels are really wack if you're going to a foreign country. Seriously, you don't get immersed into the culture, and you'll have your spending cut in half due to all the high expenses of a tourist. If that is your only choice because you don't have any relatives in Korea, I guess that is cool. You should have relatives in Korea, now.

Guest luvxholic

i think lotte hotel and shilla hotel (?) are good and for other things u should look at the other thread in here about korea...n i think x-man has an audience but not love letter...?

Guest WanMinBin

try the tour2korea website as well. they've got lists of hotels, motels, guesthouses and other accomo.

I booked most of my accomo through their webbie. ^^

so when are you going? I'm going at the end of september. ^^

Thanks. I mentioned that I didn't want posters of those few people, because I have come across them several times (aimed at Japanese tourists). You know, along with the Bae Yong Jun socks and the like.

HAHAHAHAAH bae yong jun socks!! i remember seeing them at dongdaemun!! i was like :blink: shoulda bought a pair

Guest Lebanese_Blonde

are you talking about...posters of less famous people? because they throw out posters that aren't popular. anyway hongdae has CDs of rock stars and posters are usually free w/ your purchase. theres no where to get old posters

Guest mleung87

Sorry for not posting earlier! I've been home for Korea for about a month now. But it was definitely a memorable experience. I loved it. I didn't get to visit as many places as I had hoped, but all in all it was amazing.

Places I definitely enjoyed were:

Myung Dong

Dongdaemun (I went shopping at 1am in the morning until 5am, now that's a FIRST)

Shinchon

Hongdae

I spent a lot of time in that area since I lived in Shinchon, and everything was very convenient there. I loved the night life, there's ALWAYS something to do in Korea. Noraebangs become a daily routine, if not, the bars will be. The food is amazing, kimbap chon guks are EVERYWHERE, and you can go in for a quick meal if you're in a rush.

I visited a lot of tourist places like traditional villages, Lotte World, Everland, 63 Building, Seoul Tower etc ...

Be sure try watching a movie in Korean (especially if you're not Korean) -- haha, it's all part of the experience.

I had the best time in Korea. I can't forget the people. I can't forget the culture, the language everything. I even met a nice boy there ;)

Unfortunately I didn't see any celebrities, except for Duke .. they performed at Club Catchlight when I was there.

I'm definitely planning to go back to Korea ;)

Everyone, keep posting on this thread to help others going to Korea!

Cheers,

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have a few questions...^^

1. Is it better for first timers to visit Korea alone or with tour packages? I was kind off thinking to spend around 2 weeks in Korea and the tour packages only stretch up to 8 days...

2. If I go to Seoul, where do you suggest I stay?

3.I wanna ask my dad to supply me a supplementary card so I could just swipe it whenever I need money...Are there any good banks that the employees could speak in English?

4. Lastly, when do you suggest I visit Korea? Take note of sales and festivals....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sage raven

lmao I got bored and read this all :P

omk no way...i was in shinchon for the whole time you were there..

why didn't i see this earlier..T_T

poo...i could've shown you around.. -__-; I practically know where everything is in shinchon...

-__- booo ~

well maybe some nice info for future korea comers!

celeb sightings~ hahaha you'll have fun........looking.

lmao i know shin hyesung from shinhwa was in kyochon chicken - shinchon jeom o_o

i actually went out there to see him XD it was..interesting.

oh..err..i know a lotta celebs go to yeondae (yeonsei uni)..i know dongbangshingi went there for their vacation drama and i know suju tagged along...but good luck getting through 10,000 fans. o_o and yes, i do mean literally.

next time you're in korea i recommend soo noraebang

that place is ..wow.. o_o its like real high class norae bang and updated a lot ^^ but it's kinda expensive..

i think like 20,000 won (about $20 usd) for one hour. o_o

for food, i think when you're right in front of eedae (the university) just go straight down, pass t-hous and i know there should be like some japanese place on your way down..it's really good haha =] try their donkkassu and udong :]

i know theres a red mango (IT'S A MUST.) like..right infront of the front of the the university (eedae) and it's not that hard to miss lmao..

if you saw it omgosh i was like right up that hill it was on...i was in those apartments. >_> the ones that are right by the university..lucky apartments? =]

why am i such a stupid head and didn't notice this earlier....T___T

if you're looking for shopping i think you should go to t-hous which is a nice place to go haha

or tangle..they have real nice clothes for good prices ^^ although quality isn't best...but still.

if you've ever been to that little intersection with a lot of stores around it and basically theres just this...circle in the middle and theres a shoe store by the circle and then a lotta path choices, theres some good shopping there as well.

clubbing? >_> i'm only 14 in korean age so don't ask me XD but...i would be careful..at night my hakwon teacher got like..ALMOST stabbed..and she got a cut by her eye..o__o;; she was alone at night..so i would be careful <3 NEVER go alone...-shudders- lotsa creepy people.

if you want some ... nice...guy watchings, go to lotte mall and look for young plaza..oh my oh my. =]

and i know theres a lotta nice looking guys in the lotte mall in the 7th? 8th? floor..where the sports/childrens section is =D

i know i saw one celeb in shinchon...(minus hyesung.) i dunno who he was, but i was going to noraebang with my friends and i saw this guy filming something..o_o some drama or cf, i dunno but it had something to do with a car, and him driving it. and people just huddled around it..>_>

transportation..AHHH XD

taxi drivers DO scam you. they DO take the long way so you pay more...that is if they can tell you're a foreigner..i recommend subways, but then again, it's only if you really know where you're going...i suggest you have someone with you as well...you never know. buses..they can be..err...confusing at times, but overall they're not bad..they're like america's metro buses, just..i guess "nicer" people. o_o but good luck, cause theres a buncha traffic..

if you want good shopping, go to the malls..although it's like HECKA expensive.. >_>

if you want okay and fair prices, go to like..gangnam, dongdaemun, namdaemun, all listed above. =]

롯대백화점..(lotte) is like..soo expensive but sooo pretty..>_> like i said, go to young plaza..thats wehre all the err...students middle school - college pretty much hang out. o___o but then again 롯대백화점 (lotte) is pretty..expensive. like...really...don't go unless you ahve lotsa money..>_<

i know if you go to galleria, the SM building is real close to it..you might get lucky? o_o well..like..you gotta be real lucky...

as far as i know, gangnam/apgu area = more likley to spot celebs..

can't think of anything else o__o

1. Is it better for first timers to visit Korea alone or with tour packages? I was kind off thinking to spend around 2 weeks in Korea and the tour packages only stretch up to 8 days...

3.I wanna ask my dad to supply me a supplementary card so I could just swipe it whenever I need money...Are there any good banks that the employees could speak in English?

4. Lastly, when do you suggest I visit Korea? Take note of sales and festivals....

I only know #4 XD

#2, it depends on how much you wanna spend..o_o

Anyway, #4..If you wanna go when theres a lotta..err..students? walking around i suggest you go when they have breaks. winter - depends on schools but generally from december to around..earlyy feb..then 1-2 weeks off in feb and then prolly the last week or two they start a new school year...

summer its usually around from july - sept depending where you are..

but if you wanna stay away from students .. i suggest going the other months besides the ones i listed. =D

although, during winter, it's superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold .. and .. i would bring something thick. (real..thick.) like i remember once it was like -10C T_T

summers...i would bring light stuff, but not to flashy or anything..it's REAL humid and hot over summer (june - august) and i swear you'll die.

ermm sales...depends on what you wanna buy and wehre you wanna buy it...

festivals...again..depends on you. =]

anyone/anything else? ^^

---by the way, this isn't my account ahah :/ this is my friends. o__o

Guest JoliDansRose

I'm definitely checking out the COEX mall, but I'm assuming it's going to be too crowded since I'm going next summer...oh dear. *^ ^* I don't really enjoy Norebang all that much, but Korea will be different I suppose.

And for those who have expectations to encounter k-celebs, it's merely luck like someone has previously said. A good idea is to CHECK your beloved's schedule, check out their daum cafe sites, make an account or something so you know when and where to meet up. If you just go without any knowledge of their setting, the chances are unlikely, and disappointment is not worth it for such a trip.

I've never taken a trip to Korea here in the U.S, but within the homeland. (I went to school there where they taught English then I became a citizen here). I'll try to help you out, let's see how this goes..it's been such a while >.<

1) That's to your personal choice, but I suggest the first one.

2) It's already been answered hehe, I think the comments in this thread are far more helpful than what I can come up with!

3) Hmm, I think you should carry with you cash instead if you do not speak the native language. But the basic I'm pretty sure they'll comprehend your request.

4) Of course Summer time (despite its expensive price and crowded arenas..) or Fall. Other seasons, the weather gets crazy there. It's gets hot hot over the summer but from my remembrance, there are so many events since all of the kids are out of school. You won't regret it!!

Guest globosapien

about the whole celeb spotting thing---

you'll have to be in the right place first of all. some hot spots are definately kang nam... i've seen loads of celebs in kangnam. i don't know why so many of you guys are saying it's difficult to see them, they're everywhere. i saw brian from ftts while i was at galleria shopping. i also saw bae young jun going into the parking lot at the galleria...

i saw lee young pyo, seol ki hyun, and song jung gook (soccer players) at a nike store because they were allowing the public to get signatures and photos with the soccer players...

you should also go to the agencies. when i used to be crazy about HOT, my cousin who was a club member took me to the agency where there a load of other fans. the fans have hookups within the agency, like the club HOT president knew the schedule of HOT... so we'd follow her around. i even went to the house of moon hee jun and i saw him get into his yellow tiburon and drive off...

one time my cousin wanted to catch sight of tony ahn, so we stayed outside the HOT sookso all friggin night, and HOT heard that there were a few fans outside so they came out on the balcony and threw out newspapers to cover our bodies. at that time i was in love with them so i didn't give a crap, but now that i think about it, those guys were such bastards...newspapers... like we're beggars or something...

so my point is, once you hang out in the right place with the right people, time is not of the essence. you'll get your celebrity sighting.

just a tip for all of you people into indie bands and etc... you must check out daehakro (university driveway)... musical productions, underground bands, you name it. i don't go to apgu anymore, i don't like going clubbing in korea nemore...

check out daehakro and check out the plays, there's always some kind of theatrical production going on.

as much as i like street food, like ddukboki and etc, i've limited my consumption of those tihngs...

y go to korea to eat ddukboki when you can make it at home... when in korea, you should check out all the mukgori... especially the gamjatang, and pork belly with old kim chee places....

Guest rachellee39

Hi guys

I have half a year off next year from july till december and I've been saving to go on a 2 week trip to korea.

Any suggestions on which part of korean to go and when? My main intention is to go shopping and checking out the clubbing scene...more of a city style. I want to really make use of my time there so I'm going to start planning my itinery soon. My friends and I are still undecided on whether to go free and easy or to join a tour group. I am not so keen on joining a tour group as the itinerary is always too packed.

would be very grateful if some of you could give me advice on

1. where to club

2. what to eat! ( important!)

3. where to shop ( middle range.....like topshop, sportsgirl, mango...)

( where to get good bargains)

4. theme parks? are there any?

5. How much would I need? ( for an average holiday....don't intend to spend lavishly but neither do I want to spend my time counting pennies)

6. safety at night?

7. travel....taxi, bus or rent a car?

I have lots more questions...but it is too early in the morning and my brain is still half dead.

thanks!!

Guest debbbbby

1. where to club - dont know im only 15 :unsure:

2. what to eat- oh man, okay theres alota places u can eat at. i mean its EVERYWHERE. if you wanna go to a restaruant, go to MYUNG DONG. its like a downtown place ( it has clothing stores, icecream stores, restarants.. etc)

3. where to shop - MYUNGDONG, DONGDAEMUN..

( where to get good bargains) NAMDAEMUN?

4. theme parks? are there any? LOTTE WORLD or EVERLAND! =)

5. How much would I need? depends how much you wanna spend, ( transportation, food, extras )

6. safety at night? not reallly. be careful. theres alota drunk ahjuhshees, just hang out where theres alota teens/ older teens/ younger adults.

7. travel. no need to rent a car. TAXI, BUS, and SUBWAY will do :) also driving is korea is so complicated so dont rent a car.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60151

here this might help

Hmm ... Where are you staying because that's somewhat of a factor.

And this should be in the 411 Section I belive.

Uhh lets see ... Some shopping places are Dongdaemoon. NamDaeMoon. Coex Mall. Lotte Mall.

Theme Parks - Lotte World. Everland.

Food - Shinhwa Chicken. lol Shinhwa owns a chicken chain and I heard it really good. xD But the other restaurants depend on what city you're in. I suggest you go to Loterria at least once though. And get some PatBingSu. :D

Money - Hmm .... around $1000-2000. Not sure. >.< A round-trip plane ticket is $1000 minimum. But Seeing that you're going with friends, I'm guessing you're staying at a hotel and not with relatives. That's mean around $40 a night for a room. (You might get a 2-week deal though - when in Korea, always try to bargain. :))

Korea is pretty safe at night. It's bustling with people almost 24/7. But I'd be careful of the dark alleys. Stay in well lit areas. There aren't alot of things to do at night besides clubbing, but thats where all the gangsters and drunks are. haha

Travel - Bus and Subway my friend. :)

Archived