Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

June 13, 2016

BaekSang Grand Prize Goes to Director LEE Joon-ik
ASSASSINATION, VETERAN Take Home Best Film, Director

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

Director LEE Joon-ik was triumphant at the 52nd BaekSang Arts Awards ceremony, held in Seoul on June 3rd, where he won the Grand Prize for both of the films he has released in the last year, the big-budget period drama The Throne and the low-budget black-and-white Colonial Era drama DONGJU; The Portrait of A Poet. Director LEE won the same prize ten years ago for the period drama King And The Clown (2005).

The Best Film Prize went to the Colonial Era action-thriller Assassination, from director CHOI Dong-hoon, who has previously won the Grand Prize and Best Director awards at the event for Tazza: The High Rollers (2006). This year’s Best Director prize went to RYOO Seung-wan for the crime thriller Veteran, the most successful Korean film of last year.

LEE Byung-hun won his fifth BaekSang award for his leading performance in the political thriller Inside Men, which earlier this year won him the same prize from the Asian Film Awards. He previously won the Best Actor in Film prize in 2006 for A Bittersweet Life and has also won the Best Actor in TV prize for Son of Wind, All In and IRIS. Meanwhile, JEON Do-yeon won her third Best Actress prize for Cannes-Invited romantic thriller The Shameless, following A Promise (1998) and I Wish I Had a Wife (2001).

Best Supporting Actor went to LEE Gyoung-young for his part in the judicial thriller The Unfair, while LA Mi-ran won the female counterpart for her role in mountaineering drama The Himalayas. DONGJU; The Portrait of A Poet co-star PARK Jung-min came away with the Best New Actor prize and Best New Actress was claimed by PARK So-dam of the exorcism thriller The Priests.

The New Director prize went to HAN Jun-hee for his Cannes-invited female gangster thriller Coin Locker Girl. AHN Gooc-jin earned the Best Screenplay accolade for his Korean Academy of Film Arts graduation project Alice In Earnestland.

• Like 4

Translation of Lee Byung Hun's acceptance speech at the 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards 2016

My grateful thanks to @p.v.wong for sending me the link to the simultaneous broadcast by www.iqiyi.com with Chinese sub-titles of the 52nd Baeksang Arts award 2016.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-16%20at%2010.47.

"Thank you every one.  First, I would like to thank all the  “ Sunbae “ and “Hoobae” who joined the movie industry together with me.  Because of you, I was stimulated  and had the motivation to work harder.  When an actor encounters a new role,   naturally he will struggle within himself to deliver the best performance he could.  However, without the skilful direction from the Director  and support from the film crew,  the successful creation of the character could  not have happen.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who helped create the perfect character of Ahn Sang -goo:  my teacher Baek Yoon Sik, Jo Seung Woo and finally to my family to whom I would like to bestow this honour.  Thank you. " 

Source: www.iqiyi.com 
  • Like 4

@peonie Thanks so much Barbara for a great translation and sharing by @p.v.wong too! Have been wanting to know what BH said in his Baeksang Best Actor acceptance speech.

Source: channelnewsasia

#TheMagnificent7 director #AntoineFuqua at the ArtScience Museum Singapore, talking to press about the joy of working with his A-list cast, especially Korean star #LeeByunghun: "It's 'BH' or 'Mr Lee' for me because I can't seem to get the pronunciation right!" #mag7 #ByunghunLee #이병헌

• Like 4

June 17, 2016

Lee Byung Hun's Message to Money Today's 15th Anniversary

Source: Star News

"I hope Money Today will be at the center of media news publishing that can bring a just and fresh air in our society. Congratulations 15th anniversary of Money Today establishment.". (Google-translate)

• Like 4

June 22, 2016

LEE Byung-hun to Receive Star Asia Award at NYAFF
11 Korean Films Head to New York

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

tKLbGRyhtZxZCPtbRNon.png

The New York Asian Film Festival is kicking off its 15th anniversary on June 22nd and will run until July 9th. This year 11 films from South Korea will feature on the festival’s program and LEE Byung-hun will attend to collect a Star Asia Award.

Recognized for his contribution to Korean films (A Bittersweet Life, 2005; The Good, The Bad, And The Weird, 2008) and Hollywood productions (Red 2, 2013; Terminator Genisys, 2015), LEE will be one of three Star Asia Awards honorees at NYAFF this year, along with Hong Kong’s Miriam YEUNG, the Philippines’ John Lloyd Cruz. The star’s recent political thriller Inside Men will also screen during the fest.

Other guests include director LEE Joon-ik, who will be present for both his films from the past year, the period drama The Throne and Colonial Era biopic Dongju; The Portrait of A Poet. Dongju producer and script SHIN Yeon-shick will also be present. KIM Jin-hwang, director of the Korean Academy of Film Arts feature The Boys Who Cried Wolf, will also be in town.

The rest of the Korean lineup in New York features a mix of indie and commercial titles. Among the mainstream films will be a prison thriller hit A Violent Prosecutor and an exorcism smash The Priests. E J-yong’s new drama The Bacchus Lady, which premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival, will have its North American premiere, while YEON Sang-ho’s latest indie animation Seoul Station is also slated to screen at the festival.

Compilation at EverythingLBH.com

Source: Evensi

Venue: Film Society of Lincoln Center

Date & Time: July 5, 8.30pm

FSLC Special Events 
Opening Night 6/22 7pm TWISTED JUSTICE + Access to Opening Night Party! 
6/29 8:45pm SHE REMEMBERS HE FORGETS Miriam Yeung Q&A + Star Asia Award! 
7/4 9pm 10 YEARS + Q&A with Kwok Zune, Wang Fei-pang, Jevons Au, Chow Kwun-wai, Ng Ka-leung, and Andrew Choi 
7/5 8:30pm INSIDE MAN + Lee Byung-hun Star Asia Award 7/5

• Like 4

Not sure if this looks good, or could have been something better instead user posted image  since #Mag7 seems to be doing great with the trailers etc..

June 22, 2016

NEW INTERNATIONAL POSTER FOR THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN LOOKS RATHER HATEFUL

Source: Joblo.com

2016poster1.jpg

While it's incredibly popular to hate on remakes and reboots these days, you don't quite hear a lot of negativity surrounding Antoine Fuqua's take on THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. The film, a re-do of the classic 1960 Western, which itself was a re-do of Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI, has sort of flown under the radar a bit. Perhaps it's being given a generous benefit of the doubt, because Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt are involved. It could be that first trailer bought it a wait-and-see approach, too. Who knows? But whatever it is certainly deserves a lot better than the weak international one sheet for the film that just got offered up.

It's just seven dudes, Photoshopped together, walking... or in the act of thinking about walking, while handling weapons against unknown targets that, from the sight lines of those on the poster, aren't even in the same place. There's no style here. Nothing that pops from the imagery that, if I came across looking at it, would make me say, "Wow... That looks really cool. I need to go see that." 

I know we talk all the time about the lost art of poster art, and it's a battle we've been losing for years... But as we continue to see movie theaters losing their audiences gradually, maybe the studios should really examine how to maintain them... Maybe they should come to terms with the idea that, if you already have customers at a movie theater and they have already paid to see something once, you should do everything you can in your power to draw their eyes to something they might return for. A one sheet that looks like it's for a low-budget THE HATEFUL EIGHT ain't it. 

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN rides into theaters on September 23.

• Like 1

LEE Byung-hun to Receive Star Asia Award at NYAFF

tKLbGRyhtZxZCPtbRNon.png

The New York Asian Film Festival is kicking off its 15th anniversary on June 22nd and will run until July 9th. This year 11 films from South Korea will feature on the festival’s program and LEE Byung-hun will attend to collect a Star Asia Award.

Recognized for his contribution to Korean films (A Bittersweet Life, 2005; The Good, The Bad, And The Weird, 2008) and Hollywood productions (Red 2, 2013; Terminator Genisys, 2015), LEE will be one of three Star Asia Awards honorees at NYAFF this year, along with Hong Kong’s Miriam YEUNG, the Philippines’ John Lloyd Cruz. The star’s recent political thriller Inside Men will also screen during the fest.

Other guests include director LEE Joon-ik, who will be present for both his films from the past year, the period drama The Throne and Colonial Era biopic Dongju; The Portrait of A Poet. Dongju producer and script SHIN Yeon-shick will also be present. KIM Jin-hwang, director of the Korean Academy of Film Arts feature The Boys Who Cried Wolf, will also be in town.  

The rest of the Korean lineup in New York features a mix of indie and commercial titles. Among the mainstream films will be a prison thriller hit A Violent Prosecutor and an exorcism smash The Priests. E J-yong’s new drama The Bacchus Lady, which premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival, will have its North American premiere, while YEON Sang-ho’s latest indie animation Seoul Station is also slated to screen at the festival. -

source: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/news.jsp?blbdComCd=601006&seq=3918&mode=VIEW#sthash.eiUdBhJN.dpuf

• Like 3

June 22, 2016

The 2016 Asian Film Festival Begins Today

By Angely Mercado | DNAInfo New York

Actor Lee Byung-Hun was featured in the film

Actor Lee Byung-Hun was featured in the film "Inside Man." That film will be part of the special events at the Asian Film Festival in NYC. View Full Caption Getty Images/ Chung Sung-Jun

New York City is host to all sorts of film festivals and there's one for nearly any interest.

From June 22nd to July 9th, the city will host the 15th New York Asian Film Festival. Here are a few things to know if you're interested in attending: 

Screenings will take place in two locations: School of Visual Arts Theater at 333 23rd St. in Chelsea and Film Society of Lincoln Theater at 70 Lincoln Center Plaza in the Upper West Side.

Tickets:

► Tickets for the film festival can be purchased online at the Lincoln Center Film Society's website or in each venue's box office. 

► There is a three-movie special that lowers prices for anyone who wants to attend that minimum amount of screenings. By buying three screening tickets, members of the Film Society of Lincoln Center will pay $9 per screening, students and seniors pay $11 per screening, and general admission is $14 for each film. These prices do not include the special event films. 

► You can also purchase an All Access Pass for $199. It can be used at any film at the festival except for the special events. 

► Students and Lincoln Center Film Society members can pay $15 to attend the special events. General admission is $20. 

• Like 4

@irilight Always good to see you at the thread. ^_^ Are you nearby New York to catch the NYAFF film events?

June 23, 2016

Lee Byung-hun to receive award at NYAFF

by Jonathan M. Hicap Manila Bulletin

user posted image

Korean star Lee Byung-hun will be flying to the US to receive the Star Asia award at the New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF), which is ongoing until July 9.

The other two recipients of the award this year are John Lloyd Cruz and Miriam Yeung.

In the last 25 years, Lee Byung-hun has nurtured his career in Korean films such as “Joint Security Area,” “A Bittersweet Life” and “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” ; and TV dramas including “Iris,” “Beautiful Days” and “All In.”

He ventured into Hollywood through the film “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” in 2009.

He followed it up with appearances in “G.I. Joe: Retaliation,” “Red 2,” “Terminator Genisys” and “Misconduct.”

He is set to appear in a new Hollywood film “The Magnificent Seven.”

“He is fast becoming one of the best known Asian faces in the West for his appearances in blockbuster franchises,” according to NYAFF.

His film “Inside Men,” for which he won Best Actor at the Baeksang Arts Awards and Asian Film Awards, will be screened at the festival.

Ten other Korean films will be screened at NYAFF through the support of the Korean Cultural Center New York. These are “Alone,” “The Bacchus Lady,” “The Boys Who Cried Wolf,” “Dongju: The Portrait of a Poet,” “Fourth Place,” “Inside Men,” “The Priests,” “Seoul Station,” “The Sound of a Flower,” “The Throne” and “A Violent Prosecutor.”

• Like 4

S P O I L E R Just found out the reason why there's no pics of LBH on the Master set, by those who had seen him in the Philippines. As previously tweeted, it's hinted about the hairstyle. Frankly, I've been wondering how different could it be (by only thinking about Inside Men, MOTS, Gwanghae which would have no relevance in a modern-day plot line). And the answer was right there at the Master thread, that I failed to see before.  user posted image

Spoiler

His hair was dyed  gray/grey.

Kinda have an idea how it would look (based on other villain movie characters with the same style). Since he's playing a conman, the style seems fitting this time around. Hopefully it would actually look better on him.  user posted image Definitely another appearance makeover for the character he's playing and it'll be worth it.

The last time he sported a blonde style being Minchul in Beautiful Days. Then, a white-haired older professor in Once in A Summer. The most recent was the silver streak as the evil persona in The Influence. Other than that, the most obvious was the red hair in Kill The Love, filmed exactly 20 years ago.

Wonder if he had to revert the style when he attended the Baeksang earlier this month? And clearly, it has to be back to the normal appearance for the NYAFF Star Asia Award night in New York next month. Hopefully, he would have finished the filming by then for a much-needed break with his family before #Mag7 full-scale promos.

Any more examples, anyone?.

Credit: yoyolee07

• Like 4

Translation of comments from a LBH Baidu fan who saw “Memories of the Sword” at the 19th Shanghai International Film Festival on 19th June 2016. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-24%20at%207.53.5

“I do not know whether fans from LBH Baidu went to see this movie.  As the reputation of this movie in Korea is not remarkable, I just bought a ticket to support Lee Byung Hun.  I did not expect that this movie would still feel so amazing after I have seen it.   The photography, picture framing and the choice of scenery were very beautiful.  The main point was that Lee Byung Hun’s acting was really impeccable: his portrayal of the main hero’s betrayal, ambition, and finally sadness delivered vividly through his eyes.  And his voice was so good to listen to! “

Source:  LBH Baidu

• Like 4

On 6/23/2016 at 5:10 AM, rubie said:

@irilight Always good to see you at the thread. ^_^ Are you nearby New York to catch the NYAFF film events?

@rubie thank you for your kind words, and  Thank you for always updating this thread. :wub:.     I wish.  I am on the other side of the country, in California.  Last time when he was here, I drove with some friends about 10 hours to see him in Los Angeles.

@peonie, thank you for all the translations!

Upcoming Korean movie "South Castle"

photo736291.jpg

More on Hancinema

• Like 4

@irilight Thank you very much for the new movie update. So, it's called 'South Castle'. Strange that there's been no news update on this in English after the Korean media updates published few weeks ago. Not sure if BH Entertainment had even confirmed anything about it. If Hancinema has this in its database, perhaps it's pretty much confirmed?? We'll just have to wait for the KoBiz update which usually comes a bit later. If this is indeed the next project for LBH, would you like to start a thread for the movie if no one else has done it? 

Although NYAFF too far away, The Magnificent Seven premiere would surely premiere in LA, which he'll attend, maybe that could be another chance to catch him in the States?

Just posted hours ago, these are absolutely wonderful lovely photos of ByungHun, MinJung and their son, JoonHoo. user posted image What a great happy capture indeed. Our gratitude to the original sharing and fans' highlight from source at naver blog. user posted image

jh_family1.jpg

Joon Hoo looking at his Appa and holding his thumb with beautiful Omma by their side. user posted image

This Hunnie toddler is already looking chic & fashionable, like his celebrity parents. 

jh_family2.jpg

Byunghun holding his son's hand, such a heart-warming image. user posted image

• Like 6