What Did Your Parents Think When U Said "i Wanna Be A Singer"?

Guest pris716

Guest angels_dream92

*edit* blegh i didn't actually tell my parents yet but they'd go ballistic...in the bad way :[

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wakana_akemi

i told my dad last year during august.

and he told me the same thing. "it's a dirty world out there," "you see, america is very safe, but people still get into trouble. if america isnt safe, then i guarantee you that taiwan, china, japan, and korea are gonna be worse.. blah blah blah"

all those discouraging words made me cry... literally.

i was in tears when my dad said that. :tears:

i thought he would support me. but i guess he's just too over protective of me.

he wants me to have a stable job and stuff.

but i was only 12 when i told him and it felt like my dream was crushed. :tears:

now, i NEVER tell anyone that i like to sing. :vicx:

it just discourages me even more. and then i get really depressed about it.

cuz i have no idea if im able to make it or not. :(

T.T...That happened to me too. I think you should be able to say you enjoy singing...But you don't have to say you want to be a singer... Right? That's how I am anyways.

The weird thing is...my parents want me to be a singer, even though I have no interest in it.

A few years ago, my mom actually forced me into taking singing lessons for a few months, but I quit because I hated it.

I like singing as a hobby, not a profession.

If I told them I was going to audition for SM or something, they would probably support me...

Weird...even though they're the typical Koreans with the obsession with education, they keep pushing me into singing more.

LUCKY! I would love if I had people who supported me like that!

Guest BigBangGirl

she was like ok when u grow up u can do that what u want to even i said that i want to try it now,,,after that when i starting to talk about it she is just starts talk about something else,,, and wheni said that i like skorea so much that i want to learn the language go there and there be a singer she just like stated laugh,,, i so hate my family that thay not support me and don't even try...

Guest sarah_kim

haha my mom was like "you're out of your mind"

my dad was like "whatever"

my grandmother was like "i will disown you from the family if you try"

....sigh FML.

haha my mom was like "you're out of your mind"

my dad was like "whatever"

my grandmother was like "i will disown you from the family if you try"

....sigh FML.

aww :(

don't worry, soompi will temporarily replace your family in terms of a support base :)

ur grandmother is unnaturally sassy for her age.... D:

• 3 months later...
Guest mal_911

Lol, well joong33, there's no need2b korean 2b a singer!!!!it just helps wit da korean entertainment companies....im taiwanese-american^^

I've felt like that too! Like you can't tell others since they mite laff at you...I don't really tell my friends.......I can't. Which is y i like soompi so

much!so many people here,&we all have the same dreams^^

nice!!!ionly started auditioning&stuff in 2007, the sm one

Well, if you really think about it, i sort of feel like the Korean ppl have just started to embrace non-Koreans. and if you think it further, every non-Korean is surrounded with ppl in a group, i.e. F(X), 2pm, ect. Except for Jang Ri In who was used as a key to open the Chinese Music Industry, (which is not bad or anything, if i sound like that), then people who are American-Korean have a hard time too, just learning Korean because in America it's hard to maintain your own language. It's good to be cautious, and know that you will probably have a tougher time because of all of the differences.

Guest lettuce

My parents don't really care.. well, my dad might not like it as much, but my mom is definitely supportive.

She wanted to be a singer when she was young, so she understands how my sister and I feel .

There was a point in time (during freshmen~sophomore years) when I was so serious about being a singer.

I was always singing and learned all about singing from the diaphragm, chest voice, head voice, etc etc.

Took voice lessons. involved in choirs and theatre. I sing a lot of classical opera, but i can sing pop and broadway too.

Whenever, I thought i had the chance to audition... I got nervous. even with all that experience.

I just felt nervous that they were JUDGING me.

I am in college now, studying fashion design. My mom always tells me that my voice is going to waste if i don;t use it.

and i told her i was going to audition for jyp and sm next month, and i know she really wants me to make it. haha

in the past, they said "go for it" because being a singer can earn big bucks

well... i dont really care about that since it was MY passion so...

a week ago, i told them "i am going to korea for an audition during march next year"

they laughed and said "OH REALLY? CAN YOU REALLY GET IN? *laughs* do not lie to me"

WOW i was heartbroken and disappointed

well, no one believed in me

ITS OK! i believed in myself

Guest 1nn0xsmile

They don't believe I mean it

and they dont take me to the audition,

This year im so upset. It is upseting but I understand my parents, we are not entertainment family.

I am the only one member in the family that wants to be a singer. I really want them to support me, it's my wish

Guest Urahara_

Aigoo my mom told me, "what are you talking about? you're going to be a doctor. when you finish med school, and still want to sing, do it as a sideline." Yeah right when I'm what, 36?

I just dropped from med school to fully focus on my singing

BWAHAHAHA

Guest panic07

She didn't say anything; she probably thought I didn't have a chance, LOL. But anyways, she wants me to be nurse. So do I, but you never know. (: Next year, when I drive, I'll drive myself to the auditions, hah.

Im on the same boat with you.... the one of the reasons why I am taking nursing is because my mom said you make good money.... although she is right so I agree with it... she didn't say anything about me not making it though.... she just said if you make it we'll see.... so I was like okkkk.....

Guest taiwanesebunny

Aigoo my mom told me, "what are you talking about? you're going to be a doctor. when you finish med school, and still want to sing, do it as a sideline." Yeah right when I'm what, 36?

I just dropped from med school to fully focus on my singing

BWAHAHAHA

dropped it? o.O maybe u can do b0th at the same time...?

(btw i`m pris716...this is the account i go on now though)

in the past, they said "go for it" because being a singer can earn big bucks

well... i dont really care about that since it was MY passion so...

a week ago, i told them "i am going to korea for an audition during march next year"

they laughed and said "OH REALLY? CAN YOU REALLY GET IN? *laughs* do not lie to me"

WOW i was heartbroken and disappointed

well, no one believed in me

ITS OK! i believed in myself

self belief is the m0st im0rtant^^

but maybe udont need2 g02 k0rea t0 audition...that`s a LOT of m0ney haha. try the gl0bal audit0ns. i`ve been searching for them....

My parents don't really care.. well, my dad might not like it as much, but my mom is definitely supportive.

She wanted to be a singer when she was young, so she understands how my sister and I feel .

There was a point in time (during freshmen~sophomore years) when I was so serious about being a singer.

I was always singing and learned all about singing from the diaphragm, chest voice, head voice, etc etc.

Took voice lessons. involved in choirs and theatre. I sing a lot of classical opera, but i can sing pop and broadway too.

Whenever, I thought i had the chance to audition... I got nervous. even with all that experience.

I just felt nervous that they were JUDGING me.

I am in college now, studying fashion design. My mom always tells me that my voice is going to waste if i don;t use it.

and i told her i was going to audition for jyp and sm next month, and i know she really wants me to make it. haha

xP that`s like me. I`ve learned ab0ut chest v0ice, head v0ice, ch0ir, etc.

i was really determined ab0ut it ar0und last year and all the years that i`ve been living. right n0w i`m just trying2 impr0ve, but i`ve dropped ch0ir since it didn`t fit in my sched. defnitly taking it in my senior yr 4 high school though.

fashi0n designing is pretty c00l!! g00d luck^^

Well, if you really think about it, i sort of feel like the Korean ppl have just started to embrace non-Koreans. and if you think it further, every non-Korean is surrounded with ppl in a group, i.e. F(X), 2pm, ect. Except for Jang Ri In who was used as a key to open the Chinese Music Industry, (which is not bad or anything, if i sound like that), then people who are American-Korean have a hard time too, just learning Korean because in America it's hard to maintain your own language. It's good to be cautious, and know that you will probably have a tougher time because of all of the differences.

that`s pretty true haha. udon`t relly care if the c0mpany is k0rean 0r n0t though. if it`s k0rean it'd probly be harder4me 2get int0 haha.

(btw this is pris716...i`m on this account now)

Guest Urahara_

dropped it? o.O maybe u can do b0th at the same time...?

(btw i`m pris716...this is the account i go on now though)

I dropped cause I hated it.

i wouldnt have if i was in a program i actually liked and chose myself.

Guest gAbbYrOckz

my mom was pretty cool about it.

i mean, shes the one whos been saying:

"GO PARCTICE!!!!!!" since i was 3 years old.

but im to lazy to go practice and stuff.... REBEL!!!! LOL :P

so when JYP auditions was coming to San Francisco

I actually found out 5 days before the actual audition so my sister and i said to my mum:

"mom, can you drive us to Oakland(the real audition place) on wednesday?"

she was like: why? what for?

and we said: we wanna audition for this entertainment company from korea thats gunna be held in oakland.

she was like: ok...... let me see if i can work from 8-12pm. (we live like 2 hours away so we need yo leave like at least 1pm)

the thing is i barely practiced AT ALL, untill the actual day of the audition.

i DONT expect to get in, and i would be fine if i were rejected, cuz the first time i thought about this was.

It's NOT like i ACTUALLY HAD A CHANce to become a JYP trainee.

i guess it for life experience.

the bright side in this is that, there is always next year!!!!!!!

XD

Guest Rainey-

Well when I first saw all these MM auditions I wanted to join Morning Musume, and I asked my mom.

Me; Can I audition to become a singer?

My Mom [in korean]: Are you crazy? Focus on your studies instead.

Me:....

My Mom: Studying is much more important than anything

Me: ....

My dad accepted it though. x]

Guest dragonflyy

I first told my dad about wanting to try out for SM and debut in Korea, I expected him to shoot me down and tell me to focus on my studies instead. But, he was actually really supportive and approved of it. When I told him, I sat with him for a long time and explained what the whole thing was about and he was really supportive and everything. ^^ But this year, I want to go to the SM auditions and audition just to see what it's like, because I don't expect to get in at all. -_- But next year, because I'm going to start my vocal training again (first time in a LONG time that I took vocal lessons) I'm going to go for serious and really really work for it (since I found out about the auditions this year around late October. -_-")

when i told my mom, she didn't really get it at first, but after she understood, she told me that being a singer doesn't suit my personality because I'm too quiet. But she says that I can still go audition if that's what I really want, and that if I really want it, she'll support me. But I can tell she's not too fond of the idea, not because she's against being an entertainer, but cause she thinks my character doesn't fit it.

Then my dad spilled to my brother, and my brother told me I was chasing ghost dreams. D: But he still wishes me good luck~

So I guess I have a pretty supportive family ^^

Guest a r a c h e r r y .

My mom is awesome. I love her to death. She totally supports me. I think partly the reason is because she knows that I have a backup plan if none of it falls through. But I think overall, she really wants to see me succeed in achieving my dream because she does see talent in me. And she wants me to be a star too. When I went to the JYP Auditions, she even asked me if I wanted her to go. I said no. :/

I was going with my friend and I didn't want her to feel awkward. My mom basically speaks korean and I was going with a vietnamese friend. But yeah. I wanted her to go with me, if I didn't have anyone to go with though. :)

When she's online and finds something about auditions, she always tells me. It's so cute... she told me about the JYP auditions and I was like, LOL I already know. And for the SM, she wants me to take my little sister too. She's really supportive. She's even planning to ask one of her ex-co-workers to tell her uncle who is a famous PD in Korea about me.

My dad on the other hand, is against the idea. But I don't really care, because we're not that close. We started drifting apart from each other when I grew up. He's never really been there for me as a father. I respect him, but not enough when it comes to something that I REALLY want.

Guest taiwanesebunny

my mom was pretty cool about it.

i mean, shes the one whos been saying:

"GO PARCTICE!!!!!!" since i was 3 years old.

but im to lazy to go practice and stuff.... REBEL!!!! LOL :P

so when JYP auditions was coming to San Francisco

I actually found out 5 days before the actual audition so my sister and i said to my mum:

"mom, can you drive us to Oakland(the real audition place) on wednesday?"

she was like: why? what for?

and we said: we wanna audition for this entertainment company from korea thats gunna be held in oakland.

she was like: ok...... let me see if i can work from 8-12pm. (we live like 2 hours away so we need yo leave like at least 1pm)

the thing is i barely practiced AT ALL, untill the actual day of the audition.

i DONT expect to get in, and i would be fine if i were rejected, cuz the first time i thought about this was.

It's NOT like i ACTUALLY HAD A CHANce to become a JYP trainee.

i guess it for life experience.

the bright side in this is that, there is always next year!!!!!!!

XD

I was g0ing t0 g02 the sf auditi0n! but i checked 4 days 2 late and missed it TT^TT. maybe i`ll see u next year, haha. i`m defninitly g0nna g0!

My mom is awesome. I love her to death. She totally supports me. I think partly the reason is because she knows that I have a backup plan if none of it falls through. But I think overall, she really wants to see me succeed in achieving my dream because she does see talent in me. And she wants me to be a star too. When I went to the JYP Auditions, she even asked me if I wanted her to go. I said no. :/

I was going with my friend and I didn't want her to feel awkward. My mom basically speaks korean and I was going with a vietnamese friend. But yeah. I wanted her to go with me, if I didn't have anyone to go with though. :)

When she's online and finds something about auditions, she always tells me. It's so cute... she told me about the JYP auditions and I was like, LOL I already know. And for the SM, she wants me to take my little sister too. She's really supportive. She's even planning to ask one of her ex-co-workers to tell her uncle who is a famous PD in Korea about me.

My dad on the other hand, is against the idea. But I don't really care, because we're not that close. We started drifting apart from each other when I grew up. He's never really been there for me as a father. I respect him, but not enough when it comes to something that I REALLY want.

w0ww lucky y0u! she`s s0 supp0rtive!

Well when I first saw all these MM auditions I wanted to join Morning Musume, and I asked my mom.

Me; Can I audition to become a singer?

My Mom [in korean]: Are you crazy? Focus on your studies instead.

Me:....

My Mom: Studying is much more important than anything

Me: ....

My dad accepted it though. x]

Studying is imp0rtant, but sh0w yr m0m ucan d0 well in sch00l, AND g0 2 audit0ns at the same time!

Guest Anathebassist

when my parents found out i wanted to be a singer the first thing my mum said to me was " you're never gonna go anywhere with singing". I was really hurt when she said that to me but i made a joke out of it saying that i was only joking. The thing that my parents don't understand is that singing is my passion and i would love to do it for a living. I'll probably make me the happiest person in the world to be able to do it as a job. As of now I'm trying to do the JYP online audition and we'll see how it goes.

Archived