What Did Your Parents Think When U Said "i Wanna Be A Singer"?

Guest pris716

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest myworldismusic1996

Same with me! People say things like "you're not being realistic", "it's a dirty world there", "your dream isn't practical", and all that.

That's annoying, but don't listen to them! Go for it or else you'll regret it! Anyways, that's the reason I stopped telling people "iwanna be a singer."

i told my dad last year during august.

and he told me the same thing. "it's a dirty world out there," "you see, america is very safe, but people still get into trouble. if america isnt safe, then i guarantee you that taiwan, china, japan, and korea are gonna be worse.. blah blah blah"

all those discouraging words made me cry... literally.

i was in tears when my dad said that. :tears:

i thought he would support me. but i guess he's just too over protective of me.

he wants me to have a stable job and stuff.

but i was only 12 when i told him and it felt like my dream was crushed. :tears:

now, i NEVER tell anyone that i like to sing. :vicx:

it just discourages me even more. and then i get really depressed about it.

cuz i have no idea if im able to make it or not. :(

Guest Annime710

Before I told my parents, like, almost two years ago, I found out about the SM Auditions in 2007 from my friend and at that point, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life; I had thought about becoming an author or something in the field of the arts. But when my friend told me, it made me do some really extensive thinking. It made me ask myself questions like: Am I willing to do anything to make it into an entertainment company? Am I willing to give anything and possibly everything up to be able to make it? Am I willing to completely go against my parents' wishes if they disagree? If I make it, am I willing to drop everything if they ask me to? And if I don't make it, what would I do then? Is what I want to do worth it to go against everything I've been raised to do? I asked myself all those questions and most of my answers were "yes". I realized that I really wanted to do this, but I had to tell my parents in order to go. At that point, I really hit a huge depression, to tell the truth; I was stressing so much over how to tell them and what they'd say that my grades started going down and my health started getting a little unstable.

When I finally told them a week before auditions, though, I brought it up kind of casually over dinner. I started by asking them what they thought if I decided to become a singer, just hypothetically. My mom replied by saying that that'd be really cool if I could manage to make it. I was kind of shocked, so I was just like, "really?!" Then I brought everything out: the audition information, the time, place, and everything. They said that they would take me and my friend and that it would be a cool experience and that I would just be going for fun. At that point, I just agreed because I thought that it would be a good starting experience for my path towards a singer.

But then a couple months after I went and after I got the rejection (Dx) email from SM, I brought up the topic again during dinner about me becoming a singer and how much I wanted to become a singer in Asia. My parents, mostly my mother, said that it would be too hard and that the money wouldn't be good and that it's such an unstable job that I shouldn't even consider it. I tried to tell them that I knew that and that I had backup plans, but they told me that I should just give up on auditioning and just focus on getting into a good college and getting a good solid job, like a doctor, lawyer (Asian, no?), or even teacher. Pretty much, they outright rejected my dream. The next SM Audition in '08 and the 2008 AVEX Auditions I went to with my friends without telling my parents. Ever since that conversation, I've been pushing myself and practicing by myself practically every day. I have my friends' support, but I don't bother asking my parents anymore. I've just been going at it on my own since their rejection. Even now, I can't talk to them about it. When they ask me what college I'm thinking of applying to, I just change the topic. It's hard, but it's something that I want so much that I'm willing to do anything I have to do, anything that I can do to make it. Before, my main reason was just because I love music so much, but now, a large part of my motivation is to show my parents that I was still strong enough to fight for and (hopefully) achieve my dream even after they rejected it.

Now, when I ask myself those questions, all of my answers are yes. I know for absolute certain that this is what I want to do, so even though they rejected my dream, no matter how much it hurt and how hard it gets sometimes, I'm still going after it with everything I've got because it's something I love to do. I just kind of hate the fact that they couldn't take the chance to support me in something that I love...

...sorry my post was kinda long...

Guest myworldismusic1996

Before I told my parents, like, almost two years ago, I found out about the SM Auditions in 2007 from my friend and at that point, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life; I had thought about becoming an author or something in the field of the arts. But when my friend told me, it made me do some really extensive thinking. It made me ask myself questions like: Am I willing to do anything to make it into an entertainment company? Am I willing to give anything and possibly everything up to be able to make it? Am I willing to completely go against my parents' wishes if they disagree? If I make it, am I willing to drop everything if they ask me to? And if I don't make it, what would I do then? Is what I want to do worth it to go against everything I've been raised to do? I asked myself all those questions and most of my answers were "yes". I realized that I really wanted to do this, but I had to tell my parents in order to go. At that point, I really hit a huge depression, to tell the truth; I was stressing so much over how to tell them and what they'd say that my grades started going down and my health started getting a little unstable.

When I finally told them a week before auditions, though, I brought it up kind of casually over dinner. I started by asking them what they thought if I decided to become a singer, just hypothetically. My mom replied by saying that that'd be really cool if I could manage to make it. I was kind of shocked, so I was just like, "really?!" Then I brought everything out: the audition information, the time, place, and everything. They said that they would take me and my friend and that it would be a cool experience and that I would just be going for fun. At that point, I just agreed because I thought that it would be a good starting experience for my path towards a singer.

But then a couple months after I went and after I got the rejection (Dx) email from SM, I brought up the topic again during dinner about me becoming a singer and how much I wanted to become a singer in Asia. My parents, mostly my mother, said that it would be too hard and that the money wouldn't be good and that it's such an unstable job that I shouldn't even consider it. I tried to tell them that I knew that and that I had backup plans, but they told me that I should just give up on auditioning and just focus on getting into a good college and getting a good solid job, like a doctor, lawyer (Asian, no?), or even teacher. Pretty much, they outright rejected my dream. The next SM Audition in '08 and the 2008 AVEX Auditions I went to with my friends without telling my parents. Ever since that conversation, I've been pushing myself and practicing by myself practically every day. I have my friends' support, but I don't bother asking my parents anymore. I've just been going at it on my own since their rejection. Even now, I can't talk to them about it. When they ask me what college I'm thinking of applying to, I just change the topic. It's hard, but it's something that I want so much that I'm willing to do anything I have to do, anything that I can do to make it. Before, my main reason was just because I love music so much, but now, a large part of my motivation is to show my parents that I was still strong enough to fight for and (hopefully) achieve my dream even after they rejected it.

Now, when I ask myself those questions, all of my answers are yes. I know for absolute certain that this is what I want to do, so even though they rejected my dream, no matter how much it hurt and how hard it gets sometimes, I'm still going after it with everything I've got because it's something I love to do. I just kind of hate the fact that they couldn't take the chance to support me in something that I love...

...sorry my post was kinda long...

wow.. that was really inspiring to me.

you still reach for your goal when you dont have your parent's support.

i dont have my parent's support at all.

and my friends dont even know i like singing.

so technically, i get my support here. on soompi. ^_^

but still, it was really depressing for me when my dad said indirectly that he wouldnt support me to become a singer.

he didnt exactly say 'NO!'

but he was talking and talking about how bad being a singer was. and then i got the point that he didn't want me to become a singer.

so then i cried for a few days.

but i still have some confidence in me :]

i hope that everyone will be able to achieve their dream

fighting!~

Guest Annime710

wow.. that was really inspiring to me.

you still reach for your goal when you dont have your parent's support.

i dont have my parent's support at all.

and my friends dont even know i like singing.

so technically, i get my support here. on soompi. ^_^

but still, it was really depressing for me when my dad said indirectly that he wouldnt support me to become a singer.

he didnt exactly say 'NO!'

but he was talking and talking about how bad being a singer was. and then i got the point that he didn't want me to become a singer.

so then i cried for a few days.

but i still have some confidence in me :]

i hope that everyone will be able to achieve their dream

fighting!~

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's hard though, sometimes. That's when coming here on Soompi and seeing what everyone has to say about it makes things a little easier. We're all supporting each other and that makes up for most of it. :]

Guest monaero

My mom laughed at me, as in red in the face and crying kind of laughing. That really hurted more than if she would have told me no. However, it did make me even more determined and practice harder.

Guest myworldismusic1996

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's hard though, sometimes. That's when coming here on Soompi and seeing what everyone has to say about it makes things a little easier. We're all supporting each other and that makes up for most of it. :]

yep :]

i get all my confidence from everyone on soompi :]

it's really nice to have everyone gather and share some thoughts because somehow, it makes me work harder and try harder to achieve my dream.

kudos to all soompiers! :]

My mom laughed at me, as in red in the face and crying kind of laughing. That really hurted more than if she would have told me no. However, it did make me even more determined and practice harder.

in a way, that's sorta good i guess.

it made you more determined and confident in yourself.

once you get really good, prove to your parents that you're serious about this.

hope everything works out okay! :]

fighting!~

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kurorinn

@ fefakm

You know what, I say go for it! I guess travelling from Brazil may be a little expensive so.... I say you just do some massive online auditioning :) From what I understand, these companies don't hold auditions in europe so i'd say everyone's on the same boat. Anyways, good luck!!!

@ myworldismusic1996

You're still really young, so I say just keep practicing and hold on to your dream. My friends and family are skeptical too, but when it comes down to it.. just prove them wrong when you get accepted into a company! :)

My mom - she's says shes happy so long as i enjoy what i'm doing, and am safe (though last year i said i was studying to become an engineer... i cant imagine what she really thinks :S

friends - most think im kidding (because i am the friend that is always cracking jokes). theres been 1 or 2 that say go for it though

my dad- has yet to find out, and i probably wont tell him tell him upfront till the day i get accepted by a company :blush:

Guest kingwangjjang

I want to be a singer.. too..

and i had audition... my dad.. he doesnt really care.. my mom.. doesnt want me to..

they think that i am not gonna make it in...

I have audition next week saturday actually...

Seeing korean celebrities killing themselves..

my mom doesnt want me to be a singer.

and she says that.. being a singer isnt a really good job...

she said that your life will be miserable.

and you wont be able to do things that you want to do...

but hey! if you think you got that talent and has a BIG passion in music,!

Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JessicaJungFan

can't choose from those my mom was like dancing can be a hobby but not a career thats what she said with singing too i hope sm would have auditions in the Philippines

Guest __daanii.

My mom laughed at first. But then put me in vocal lessons.

So it wasn't bad =) but as long as I get a degree in university, I think she's alright with it.

Guest InspiredCat

My parents have always been very supportive...My whole family, actually. I was recently in a singing contest and everyone either came out to watch me or came out to karaoke to watch my practices even though I live in a different city!

Unfortunately my family didn't have the money for vocal lessons when I was a kid, especially since I was already involved in a lot of other activities (competitive Irish dancing, lion dance, etc). But now that I'm living on my own and my mom has seen that I still have passion for singing and she has been able to see how much I have improved just on my own since being a teenager, she's offered to get me a year of vocal lessons for my birthday and Christmas.

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

When i told my dad he said " You can't be a singer, singers are skinny"

*dreams crashed and burned*

Guest fanyfany

I remember mine. The first Asian singer I admired was obviously BoA and I thought how on earth did she get to become a singer at the age of 13.

Then I knew that I love to sing and dance (even though I can't dance well :sweatingbullets: ) and when I told my parents:

Me: Can I PLEASE audition for 08 SM Global Audition? PLEASE??? I'll be a great singer and give 50% of money to you guys ( :blink: No, I dunno WHY I said that)

Mom: ... Well... If that's what you want, then I'll drive you there

Dad: I agree, since you love to sing, I'll allow you to go there

Sister: YOU? AUDITION? I swear, you are going to suck! :tongue2:

I was really happy, since my parents were supporting me. But after the audition and the rejection :tears: I asked my parents again and guess what they said

Me: Yea, I know I failed, but I can do it again, right? Since I wanna be a singer

Mom: You know what? I don't think it's a good idea. Look at how many celebrities died. Esp Jang Ji Yun's. People are saying she suicide cuz of that producer. When you become a newbie, you HAVE obey the person in charge of movie, drama etc, as if you are a slave. And you won't get enough money. Be a photogragher. There are better.

Dad: Singer's good, but maybe you should reconsider? I think a musical star is nice. And focus on your studies esp math <_<

Sister: YOU? SINGER? Give it up!

Yea, I was REALLY hurt esp mom's. I wonder how Tiffany (SNSD) got her permission when her dad said no. Hm.

And sorry about the long description. ^^

Guest MsSmiley

You know, sometimes, I really just want to slap all the Asian parents on the face and shake them until they know that not every Asian child wants to be a doctor, lawyer or teacher. *shivers*

ANYWHHOOOOO. It seems like it's mostly the mother's that don't agree on becoming a singer and, taking that in mind, I asked my Dad first. I told him and he was like "Oh, if that's what you want then sure. But you must have a backup plan for when you don't succeed". I love you, Dad! After that conversation, I started to think about what I would do if I don't make it to the market. Through thorough research and planning, I have practically planned out the rest of my life.

Ok, so, stage one has been completed. Stage two is like trying to persuade a bull not to kick you in a rodeo show. Of course, being the Asian that she was, Mum said "No, you're going to fail". Great encouragement. But I didn't give up just because of that. I brought out the topic of my telling my Dad all about it and him agreeing as long as I had a backup. You see, my Mum usually agrees with my Dad and if my Dad was to say yes, then she would oblige as well. Fortunately, this time was the same. But she would still give me subtle hints that she doesn't want me to become a singer.

So, all I have to do is pass the rest of the horrible/gruelsome stages until I get in! =)

@ Fany Fany

` Not sure how she made it but I'm sure as hell happy that she did!

Guest Chococat1993

haha. i got a big yell at no.

ughh. my mom is basically picking out my career/ giving me choices....

which i don't want to do any of them. mhmm.

Guest ~Xiah Love~

i've really wanted to be a singer for a few years now, i've told most of my friends and they think it's a good idea. i'm still working on singing infront of people >.< i get so nervous about it that i don't, i'm always afraid that they're going to say i'm bad. everyone keeps telling me i'm pretty good, and might have a chance though. and~ i still haven't mentioned anything to my parents about it, i don't think my mom would really care but....i'm just too afraid of the rejection XD and now i'm 21 T_T not asian either >.<, but....mabye the US branch of SM will take singers for this country that aren't asian...? only one way to find out haha when i get the money to make it to LA for an audition then i'll tell my mom about it

Guest -BigBang-Ftw.

Rofl. it happened like 1 min ago..

My Brother told my mom: "i wanna be a singer"

Mom: What? u serious? *laughs*

:blink::sweatingbullets:

Guest kimoy

well...

wenever i 0pen up dat kind 0f t0pic 2 my m0m..she will just laugh..and then i was like?..what?..what's wr0ng b0ut it?...

i hate it wen my m0m always laugh wenever i 0pen dat t0pic...

Archived