What Did Your Parents Think When U Said "i Wanna Be A Singer"?

Guest pris716

Guest tuzibunny

when my parents found out i wanted to be a singer the first thing my mum said to me was " you're never gonna go anywhere with singing". I was really hurt when she said that to me but i made a joke out of it saying that i was only joking. The thing that my parents don't understand is that singing is my passion and i would love to do it for a living. I'll probably make me the happiest person in the world to be able to do it as a job. As of now I'm trying to do the JYP online audition and we'll see how it goes.

AWW that`s gotta hurt ><! I hate it when parents discourage you to do what you really want. Sometimes I feel like that too. I quit piano because they said I play nonsense haha. but you should still continue and prove them wrong! that`s why i`m saving up for a guitar. tha guitar can be in my room... be myself haha. piano is in the living room idk it just feels awkward if I try playing it again now. I`ll probably continue it when I get a dorm or something.

BTW I AM PRIS716 AND TAIWANESEBUNNY. Sorry for switching around accounts so much. Promise this will be my main account now. I don`t go on pris716 or taiwanesebunny anymore!

I remember in the car a few months ago

i was listening to Super Junior-M in the car and my mom randomly asked me what i wanted to be when I graduate from high school next year and i was like; mom you know what i want to be you always did and she was like what? a singer?

and i was like yes mom... then she randomly started giving me a lecture about how i should finish school, then go. I kept on saying to her: mom if i make it i still go to school. After I went to my friends house my mom picked me up and she said to me alright i'll let you send off your auditions online to the companies you want to audition for. after i was excited and i recorded my acapella and sent it to SM + JYP

OH that`s good then, good luck^^

they laughed hence me voting for *laugh*

my dad has a very sarcastic humor. so he would say why would I when I can't sing or play an instrument and that I never stuck with anything my whole life. That just shows how little he knows about me but yea.....

they always say i can be what ever i want but when it comes down to it they want me to be like a doctor or lawyer. im not baggin on them but I can never do that type of job.

in the future i can show them just how hard i've been working. ^^

well you can always start learning an instrument! it really will help you in the music buisness. i`m saving up for a guitar haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Munchkins

Ugh. I find it so annoying when family members discourage me too.

My dad got re-married so I have to deal with a step-mom, 2 step-sisters, and a half brother.

I asked my dad if I could take dance lessons and he said yes.

But then my step-mom goes off and tells my grandma about it and told her that she couldn't understand why I wanted to take dance lessons at my age. I'm only 15 and so of course I would want to try new things. But no. My grandma tells me to focus on my studies and that she would rather die if I take dance lessons. TT.TT

So now, I can't take dance lessons.

FML. :[ <--haha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pinay flower

Well recently there's like auditions in ATL and I asked my mom if I can go and she was like asking all these questions. Like how are you going to get there? What about school? What does being a trainee include? and all these questions that I just know she was throwing at me to discourage me (though I know she's really protective you know..she's a mom) but she said she'd have to talk to my dad about it... I don't think she took it that well actually..hasn't been brought up in recent conversation... I think she's hoping it'll just be a fab..haha yea right ;)

something that kind of hurt though was she asked me what I was going to audition in and I said singing and my mom was like "why?! you know you can't sing!" ... my mom has never heard me sing seriously -.-...and she's tone deaf um wha?

plus when I was younger my grandpa kept trying to get me into singing because I have a unique voice and everytime we visited he'd be like "so do you want to be a singer/how well do you sing" stuff like that

so ... he'd probably take it better than my parents -.-

I haven't tried telling my dad..because I know he'll just shoot it down..until it's dead..because he's really super protective.. he doesn't even want me to go out of state for college (2 years away) going overseas? out of the question... I asked him one time if he would let me study abroad if my school offered it and he was like "no....probably not" so /living/ overseas... @.@

my parents will need a lot of convincing... but I'll make them see things my way >:3

Guest Natsune619

Haven't told them... But I asked my parents what they felt about me moving abroad and they're like "as long as it isn't too expensive" lol

But the singing bit... too scared to say, I mentioned I wanted to be an entertainer a few years ago and my mum was kinda laughing, saying I'll never make it, etc. She didn't take me seriously

I wonder how serious she'll take my dream when she finds out I've been saving enough money to go to Korea and audition haha

I told my dad once and he was like, "i don't care."

but my mom.. she started yelling at me . she was like "WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO SINGING WHEN YOU CAN DO SOMETHING IN LAW OR MEDICAL?!" I almost got grounded for saying that ><"

lolol. but now she supports my decision and lets me take choir and etc. but she gets mad at me when i listen to music. weird..... -__-

Guest tuzibunny

I didn't tell them yet :x .. but I think they already know but they support me with everything anyway.

HAHA you`re really really lucky then. my family members try and talk me into wanting to do something more "realistic" recently =.=

i think my mom knows that i wanna be a singer but my mom thinks its a joke

she always try to talk me into doing sth else

My family thinks it`s a joke too. Ehh but don`t give up, theres time to grow and eventually you`ll go your own way and you could show her wrong :)

Ugh. I find it so annoying when family members discourage me too.

My dad got re-married so I have to deal with a step-mom, 2 step-sisters, and a half brother.

I asked my dad if I could take dance lessons and he said yes.

But then my step-mom goes off and tells my grandma about it and told her that she couldn't understand why I wanted to take dance lessons at my age. I'm only 15 and so of course I would want to try new things. But no. My grandma tells me to focus on my studies and that she would rather die if I take dance lessons. TT.TT

So now, I can't take dance lessons.

FML. :[ <--haha

Well maybe you could save up money and just go yourself lol? Bus, caltrain, etc. whatever it takes if you`re that serious.

Hmm maybe there`s lack of communication. Your dad didn`t think it was bad at first right? If you don`t want to tell them you wanna be a singer yet, then just say you really like dance and want to learn. Get a part time job and pay for it yourself if you can. I`m sure they`d be able to see your dedication :). If all else fails, don`t give up and keep bugging them from time to time and try to learn online?

Maybe you can join our soompi skype sessions. Lots of people sing there and can get help with dance/entertainment stuff.

You can message me on skype and i`ll add you into our convos. There was a soompi topic about it haha.

Just search for me0wingbunnie

Well recently there's like auditions in ATL and I asked my mom if I can go and she was like asking all these questions. Like how are you going to get there? What about school? What does being a trainee include? and all these questions that I just know she was throwing at me to discourage me (though I know she's really protective you know..she's a mom) but she said she'd have to talk to my dad about it... I don't think she took it that well actually..hasn't been brought up in recent conversation... I think she's hoping it'll just be a fab..haha yea right ;)

something that kind of hurt though was she asked me what I was going to audition in and I said singing and my mom was like "why?! you know you can't sing!" ... my mom has never heard me sing seriously -.-...and she's tone deaf um wha?

plus when I was younger my grandpa kept trying to get me into singing because I have a unique voice and everytime we visited he'd be like "so do you want to be a singer/how well do you sing" stuff like that

so ... he'd probably take it better than my parents -.-

I haven't tried telling my dad..because I know he'll just shoot it down..until it's dead..because he's really super protective.. he doesn't even want me to go out of state for college (2 years away) going overseas? out of the question... I asked him one time if he would let me study abroad if my school offered it and he was like "no....probably not" so /living/ overseas... @.@

my parents will need a lot of convincing... but I'll make them see things my way >:3

I think your mom is worried about you future? A lot of singers/musicians/rappers, etc. dedicate their whole life to mysic and get no where in life. That`s why they might think you`1ll throw away everything to take a big risk..,. Maybe explain to them that singers can get schooling too? Don`t go for a small company or else there won`t though. Usually the big ones in asia defitley offer school up to universities do i don`t think that should be a concern haha.

Your grandpa is sweet haha. I`m sure he`d be proud either way. Main thing is..

Go for singing but don`t risk everything and become one of the homeless on the street wit a guitar or something :).

Haven't told them... But I asked my parents what they felt about me moving abroad and they're like "as long as it isn't too expensive" lol

But the singing bit... too scared to say, I mentioned I wanted to be an entertainer a few years ago and my mum was kinda laughing, saying I'll never make it, etc. She didn't take me seriously

I wonder how serious she'll take my dream when she finds out I've been saving enough money to go to Korea and audition haha

Wow you` re really dedicated haha. Hope you make it! Korea is expensive xD.

I`m sure your mom will understand more once she find out.

I told my dad once and he was like, "i don't care."

but my mom.. she started yelling at me . she was like "WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO SINGING WHEN YOU CAN DO SOMETHING IN LAW OR MEDICAL?!" I almost got grounded for saying that ><"

lolol. but now she supports my decision and lets me take choir and etc. but she gets mad at me when i listen to music. weird..... -__-

AAWWW well that`s great she supports you haha. she might get mad at you for listening to music because... perhaps your style of music she doesnt like?

Guest sheva88

I wanted to keep it a secret until I manage to get called for an audition to go to korea. But eventually I spilled it out a few days ago, and they were rather, not disapproving nor approving, they just said, "we'd see how it goes, it's going to be tough you know? but if you really want it, do it after your studies." yeah.

Guest tuzibunny

I wanted to keep it a secret until I manage to get called for an audition to go to korea. But eventually I spilled it out a few days ago, and they were rather, not disapproving nor approving, they just said, "we'd see how it goes, it's going to be tough you know? but if you really want it, do it after your studies." yeah.

LOL I know how that feels. They're kinda right... But training can defnitley be carried out during school. Music classes and free time is always good :)

AAWWW well that`s great she supports you haha. she might get mad at you for listening to music because... perhaps your style of music she doesnt like?

haha yeah . but she still lectures me anyway ><"

LOL. nah.. i don't think its that .

she doesn't care what kind of music i listen to . lololol

but i d k . she has issues sometimes xDDD I'm sooo mean LOL

Guest lovesong3208

when i told them that

BAM

shot the dream down like a bird. They started telling me how poor singers are and how only 1 out of 1000 make it.

Add to that how they were telling me someone with my physique would never make it (I actually saw them insulting themselves...) and how my skill are not even close to average and not go get over my head with this....

Oh and I also can't forget how they told me every week about this cousin of mine who got cut off from the family tree

to go become an entertainer....and they even got my grandparents to go against it....sigh.

but you know. they funny thing is. All their opposition make me want it more.

*sigh* Tasha~ my hero

Guest Sinnimi

Envy those of you whom have your parents support... My mom always knew I wanted to be it, but she's always said I need to get a real job, that I can't study music, etc.. And since I'm gonna major in something "real" she thinks music is just a hobby for me now..

I really wanna tell her that it's what I really want.. But I know I'll get the same reaction to that, as to when she found out i liked Korean entertainment.. She'll just think I'm crazy =(

when i told them that

BAM

shot the dream down like a bird. They started telling me how poor singers are and how only 1 out of 1000 make it.

Add to that how they were telling me someone with my physique would never make it (I actually saw them insulting themselves...) and how my skill are not even close to average and not go get over my head with this....

Oh and I also can't forget how they told me every week about this cousin of mine who got cut off from the family tree

to go become an entertainer....and they even got my grandparents to go against it....sigh.

*sigh* Tasha~ my hero

Know how you feel.. My mom is like that no matter what I say about anything.. As long as it's not something she agrees with, she uses every possible tacktick to get me to do something else..

I was planning on doing volunteer work, but she convinced me to study first.. What happend? I ended up just working here, not studying and not volunteering in China like I was planning to do..

I'm not gonna tell her anything about me trying online auditioning untill after i know how it goes.. Just in case she's a 100% agianst it..

-------------------

Btw, is it weird to ask where you guys are from?

I'm from Norway, so it's not really common to know anything about asian culture or entertainment (so people just think I'm weird).. and there's no white ppl in korean ent.. I wanna make that change! XD

Guest IsInsaneJungle

LOL, my godparents are like the typical 'open-minded' asian parents.

"You can do whatever you want after you graduate from college and got a degree."

So, i guess, they are.....i don't care, just don't let it interfere with your studies kinda.

&&on my biological parents side....

mom,"you have to get a job like your godbrothers that pays well(stockbroker, doctor, accountant). Music can't be your source of bread and butter."

dad,"you are so fickle, i thought you said you wanted to be doctor/lawyer/forensic, etc? You're unreliable since you're ever changing."

BOTH,"FINISH COLLEGE FIRST"

Truth it, it was my dream since young to be a perforer/singer/actor/whatever you call that. LOLOLOL!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tuzibunny

Haha it's the same for me. Whatever it is, studies have to come first especially cuz there's no guarentee of success :)

haha yeah . but she still lectures me anyway ><"

LOL. nah.. i don't think its that .

she doesn't care what kind of music i listen to . lololol

but i d k . she has issues sometimes xDDD I'm sooo mean LOL

Oooh haha it's ok I can be really mean too...

when i told them that

BAM

*sigh* Tasha~ my hero

It;s the same with me LOL. Yah, don't give up easily... It's actually pretty encouraging when people put you down cuz u wanna show them up ;)!

Envy those of you whom have your parents support... My mom always knew I wanted to be it, but she's always said I need to get a real job, that I can't study music, etc.. And since I'm gonna major in something "real" she thinks music is just a hobby for me now..

I really wanna tell her that it's what I really want.. But I know I'll get the same reaction to that, as to when she found out i liked Korean entertainment.. She'll just think I'm crazy =(

Know how you feel.. My mom is like that no matter what I say about anything.. As long as it's not something she agrees with, she uses every possible tacktick to get me to do something else..

I was planning on doing volunteer work, but she convinced me to study first.. What happend? I ended up just working here, not studying and not volunteering in China like I was planning to do..

I'm not gonna tell her anything about me trying online auditioning untill after i know how it goes.. Just in case she's a 100% agianst it..

-------------------

Btw, is it weird to ask where you guys are from?

I'm from Norway, so it's not really common to know anything about asian culture or entertainment (so people just think I'm weird).. and there's no white ppl in korean ent.. I wanna make that change! XD

You're working unstead of studying? ><... Try to go for a balance with that.

&no it;s not weird to ask where someone is from. I'm from Taiwan :)

LOL, my godparents are like the typical 'open-minded' asian parents.

"You can do whatever you want after you graduate from college and got a degree."

So, i guess, they are.....i don't care, just don't let it interfere with your studies kinda.

&&on my biological parents side....

mom,"you have to get a job like your godbrothers that pays well(stockbroker, doctor, accountant). Music can't be your source of bread and butter."

dad,"you are so fickle, i thought you said you wanted to be doctor/lawyer/forensic, etc? You're unreliable since you're ever changing."

BOTH,"FINISH COLLEGE FIRST"

Truth it, it was my dream since young to be a perforer/singer/actor/whatever you call that. LOLOLOL!

I( hate it when people say that I'm unreliable since i'm "always changing" LOL

cuz WTF ui`ve had this dream since pre-school and now i`m 16. It`s still the same!!! Don't give up haha. Studies should come first right now though :)

Guest Kimchi.Fried.Rice

Wow just reading this made me feel not alone some how

Because Im vietnamese (and i cant speak it very well T_T) i tryed to tell me mom about it (the best i could in vietnamese) about me becoming a singer, and when i told her she thought i was talking about American Idol, and after hearing that i said it was kinda like that, but in asia.

But to tell you the truth, i dont think she took it seriously, i am never telling my dad because he'll just find all sorts of ways to bring me down about it. -___-

When i told my brother (hes 22 and i thought we was going to be supportive, but boy was i wong)......he just threw evewrything at me how i dont look asian, or speak korean, or ever speak our language (vietnamese). He also called me gay for wanting to sing in Aisa (that shot a hold threw me T_T) after that i just walked away, i talked to him one night when he was drunk. I asked him "do you think i could make it" he told me "go ahead and try, you dont really have much to lose,...and if you do get in, dont act girly like all thoses other guy stars"

he worked my last nerve so i just walked away

But i dont let words get to me :D Because i am determined to make my dreams come true >.<

Guest iiloveyou

Well I told both my parents and they seem to be half supporting half worried? I know them really well and we are really close but my Dad just keeps telling me to focus on studies. First of all, I do xD I get like 90 aboves in most my subjects and I always show him my report card just to prove to him I am focussing! Second of all, my Dad is really good at debating... It always takes place on the drive to school every morning LOL this is how it goes..

Dad: You're graduating next school year, right?

Me: Ya..

Dad: Oh? What are you going to take after high school?

Me: I don't know..

Dad: Don't tell me you want to become a singer..

Then we have like a long conversation about it and I am basically fighting a losing battle here -SIGH-. But then finally he says something that make me kinda happy, he tells me that he once dreamt of becoming a singer. So I told him if i were to ever make it I would go for it. Finally he seems to have somewhat agree but he said, "Just go with the current, not against it. It's about talent, it's either you have it or you don't" Man this somehow made me think that he was implying I got no talent, but you know what I am going to PROVE him wrong! >=] As for my Mom she just laughed and said "ok?". LOL I actually want to study in China or somewhere near Korea for this reason LOL, just to be closer to the auditioning areas! I actually already sent in my audition for JYP and I got the automated message like 2 days after I sent it in so I am waiting.. I really really really want this D=

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tuzibunny

Wow just reading this made me feel not alone some how

Because Im vietnamese (and i cant speak it very well T_T) i tryed to tell me mom about it (the best i could in vietnamese) about me becoming a singer, and when i told her she thought i was talking about American Idol, and after hearing that i said it was kinda like that, but in asia.

But to tell you the truth, i dont think she took it seriously, i am never telling my dad because he'll just find all sorts of ways to bring me down about it. -___-

When i told my brother (hes 22 and i thought we was going to be supportive, but boy was i wong)......he just threw evewrything at me how i dont look asian, or speak korean, or ever speak our language (vietnamese). He also called me gay for wanting to sing in Aisa (that shot a hold threw me T_T) after that i just walked away, i talked to him one night when he was drunk. I asked him "do you think i could make it" he told me "go ahead and try, you dont really have much to lose,...and if you do get in, dont act girly like all thoses other guy stars"

he worked my last nerve so i just walked away

But i dont let words get to me :D Because i am determined to make my dreams come true >.<

aaww haha i kind of don'`t really have anyones support either haha.

\whatever. you can just show them up in the future XD~

Erm.. i don't dare to tell my parent about this dream( to be a singer).

They wont support me..

:o strict parents huh :/

Well I told both my parents and they seem to be half supporting half worried? I know them really well and we are really close but my Dad just keeps telling me to focus on studies. First of all, I do xD I get like 90 aboves in most my subjects and I always show him my report card just to prove to him I am focussing! Second of all, my Dad is really good at debating... It always takes place on the drive to school every morning LOL this is how it goes..

Dad: You're graduating next school year, right?

Me: Ya..

Dad: Oh? What are you going to take after high school?

Me: I don't know..

Dad: Don't tell me you want to become a singer..

Then we have like a long conversation about it and I am basically fighting a losing battle here -SIGH-. But then finally he says something that make me kinda happy, he tells me that he once dreamt of becoming a singer. So I told him if i were to ever make it I would go for it. Finally he seems to have somewhat agree but he said, "Just go with the current, not against it. It's about talent, it's either you have it or you don't" Man this somehow made me think that he was implying I got no talent, but you know what I am going to PROVE him wrong! >=] As for my Mom she just laughed and said "ok?". LOL I actually want to study in China or somewhere near Korea for this reason LOL, just to be closer to the auditioning areas! I actually already sent in my audition for JYP and I got the automated message like 2 days after I sent it in so I am waiting.. I really really really want this D=

LOL it might be hard to study there unless you really know chinese... there are so many characters haha ><. i thought about that too but i don`t think i can make it there O___________O!

good thing u have ur confidence though haha don`t ever lose that XP~

Guest sheva88

LOL I know how that feels. They're kinda right... But training can defnitley be carried out during school. Music classes and free time is always good :)

Haha yeah.. But I'll need to pay for my own fees, which I'm still looking for a job while I study right now.

Anyway I got contacted by one of the companies for an audition in Korea itself, but I had to pay for my own plane tickets and lodging while I stay there for the audition, and it didn't mean that I would definitely get into the company. I told my parents about it but I knew that they'd never pay for my ticket there. Kinda got a stick for it too, they said once again, to do it after my studies and pay for it myself. Which is ending in a few months (wheee). So I guess hopefully I'll get to go after a few months of work and just paying for my airfare alone will do cos my mum's friend (close) is gonna be working in Korea by then! Things look good.. Just that lots of burden I'm having in Singapore, the only and biggest one would be my involvement in church... I'm a leader with loads of major responsibilities and the thought of working in Korea and leaving all the responsibilities behind has been bothering me a lot.

Guest ilikeyammyfoods

well, since i was a kid a told my mom that i wanted to be a singer, to be famous.

and she said don't waste your time thinking about useless stuff.

so i didn't say anything else.

but now i finally told her that i wanted to audition for sm.

and she said that i shouldn't because i have no talent.

but i auditioned anyway. :|

Archived