What Did Your Parents Think When U Said "i Wanna Be A Singer"?

Guest pris716

Guest wakana_akemi

I'm not confident enough to tell my parents.

whenever my mom and me start seeing like korean singers on t.v.

the whole room starts getting really awkward, and she's all like...look at those

singers these dayz, they really can't sing.

I just laugh it off...

As I grew up I think she kinda did find out that I was beginning to really like music

and she probably knew I wanted to be a singer even before I even knew I wanted to be one. lol....

Singing was my childhood dream ever since I was like 10yrs old.

i guess music really became my strength and source of supply to carry on in life.

That's why it became my dream, but sadly, I know my parents don't like that stuff...

well...my mom..that is..

When I was little I would put on little shows and sing to my parents...mom use to hate it

she acted like I was putting her on a spot where she didn't want to stay...

But my dad use to love it and told me..that I would be great as a singer...and then I would be so happy,

but suddenly i would see my mom's face and she would be like giving my dad the stink eye..like

"don't encourage the kid" yeah...and eventually my dad stopped saying stuff like that to me.

And even till this day..whenever I sing in the car she would always start to sing louder than me..to like shut me up.

Also..just for fun. me and my sister made a christmas album...on cassette tape and we made copies, but the original tape

that we had...was ruined, and i was like mom! do u have the christmas album we gave u? and she was like

"what? IDK... :mellow: where I put that"...she really might have lost it, but it wasn't that long since i gave it to her..

IDK..guess i kinda gave up my dream 2 b a singer.

'Cause I knew tat wouldn't make my mom happy and she's been through a lot.

The funny thing is...she's not really like other asian mom's who want their child to be a doctor or lawyer

she wanted me to do something w/art...and now I am majoring in graphic design...

But somehow all in the end...even from time to time I really want to be a singer, but

I know in a way it will never happen to me...*shrugs* IDK..hehe

Now I sing really horrible...

I'm now going back to singing here and there on soompi..just for fun.

Man..though I seriously can't sing now...hehe

seriously i never sang like in 5yrs....I'm serious..cause i didn't want 2 sing those times

'cause i was trying to forget about singing...'cause i knew it wasn't the path i was trying to go to.

But anyways now..i know though...haha i really can't sing good.

hehe dude i need to stop writing .. i wrote tooooo much. ^^

idont mind if u write 2much^^that's so sad!read my signature!!!!don't live life with regrets...ithink no matter what, you still really want2 try, right? You should go for it, and soon sicne it takes, like, around 3yrs for idol training.

ahhh

my mom was like

"...okay........."

but shes letting me take dance and singing lessons

so its a start

but she still gets iffy when i go like,,

SO I'M GONA GO TO KOREA........ xDDD

cool^^i take dance lessons outside of school and i'm in choir at school.

althogh i'm the worst dancer there><!the teacher always helps me a lil more than others&lately 4hw iskipped the practice,like, 3 times.

iam so behind.....my parents mite make me quit it since i don't think they will think ican good enough grades...i really hope not though,....

ugh, asian parents.

They said: Hmmphh, singers don't have a bright future. stop dreaming.

LMAO!

that's sometimes true...even in fame, some people end up bad like britney or lindsay lohan...famous but not a bright future.got money, but unhappy...but still, iwant 2 try. i wouldn't mess up like them. i'm sure(alothough maybe i have to much confidence).....

ireally want to.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sweet_Asian819

My mom was all like "Sure. I'll let you try for experience."

My dad.... "Become a doctor, chef, business woman, etc." =.=

I want to become a singer :D

I have the urge to be a singer in S. Korea :) First southeast asian lmao!! :DD

Though, I'm fine if I was brought from the US to Philippines to be a singer ^__^

The only thing if I get to Philippines as a singer is to mix things up in the music industry ^.^

The only thing I mainly hear in the Philippines is rock or romance songs >.>

Not that there's anything wrong with it.... It's just that I want something more new :)

Like our generation with the whole hip hop and pop style (kinda close to kpop) songs except a bit different ^^;

I'm just also getting tired on how SOME of the songs I hear in the Philippines are also not by Filipinos but from American industry.

No matter what. My number 1 dream is to make it big all over Asia :D Even internationally if possible!

bleh,, whatever the parents think,,

do what makes you happy :)

cus at the end of the day, no matter how big your salary is,

if you are doing something you don't have any passion for,

is just not satisfying.

i told my mom that even if i crash and burn

ill still try my hardest so i can fall with dignity

:sweatingbullets:

Guest wakana_akemi

bleh,, whatever the parents think,,

do what makes you happy :)

cus at the end of the day, no matter how big your salary is,

if you are doing something you don't have any passion for,

is just not satisfying.

i told my mom that even if i crash and burn

ill still try my hardest so i can fall with dignity

:sweatingbullets:

wow. ur mom sounds real great...i can tell my family doesn't believe in me being able to pass an audition...

there aren't enough auditions anyways.

but iwant2 help them with the money too...so being a singer will solve all our problems....and it's my dream too.

they're always fighting about money, yelling, and it makes me cry. like today. i told them i'd quit my dance lessons to save money.

they told me2 think about it, but i made up my mind. i'd rather have them worry less about money than take dance lessons to give dad stress

although this makes my chance in an entertainment company less, i said i'd make my own money(when i do) i will go pay4 myself to learn dance sicne i really am so bad at it. they told me2 go stufy&here i am.

i said no...we're in the middle of a fight tbut they dont understand i'm trying to help too!

they think i'll regret it &blame them....but isaid i wouldn't blame them for it.

if money is really an issue, and you LOVE to dance,

why not get a job as a dancing instructor?

my parents don't fight over money very much,

but they always think i have a greater potential than to be a singer,,

typical asian parents xD always wants their kids to be lawyers, doctors and that stuff...

Guest eunyoochunnie

i had a long and tear-filled (omfg, my eyes are so red after) talk with my mom about it since i'm serious & had been hiding it for years because i was scared of what she'd say. i'll make it short. :<

the day of the auditions, i'd made a little lie and said i was going to a friend's house, but it was a sunday and my mom said that excuse wasn't good enough and if i didn't have a true reason, i couldn't go. so i explained about how i was introduced to SM around three or four years ago just by looking at a poster and how i got so deep into music and how i wanted to audition because i just really wanted to do this.

she told me that she was disappointed in me because i didn't trust her and that she had the same experience when she was younger, but she'd actually been training. my grandfather cut her off from that at a young age, so she saw a lot of herself in me and told me to go for it because she sees me as the type to pursue what i want seriously and passionately. now i have her full support.

my dad thinks otherwise and it's a little painful, but what can i do? (prove him wrong. :P ♥)

my grandma watches korean music stars on shows all the time so when i told her the morning of the auditions, she had the biggest grin and said to me, ":D GOOD LUCK" in that korean english.

it's still a far off dream, but i think i can do it. ♥

/ gosh, that was a lot of writing.

Guest Blueberry222

Well at first I was scared if my parents would laugh

and I was like Um mom dad I want to be a singer

and there was like total silence & I was like in my head

yup there going to laugh, and they were like do you think your

ready? my dad said and my mom was like is your voice perfect?

and my parents said they don't care as long as I keep my grades up

but that supprise me that they didn't laugh tho.

i had a long and tear-filled (omfg, my eyes are so red after) talk with my mom about it since i'm serious & had been hiding it for years because i was scared of what she'd say. i'll make it short. :<

the day of the auditions, i'd made a little lie and said i was going to a friend's house, but it was a sunday and my mom said that excuse wasn't good enough and if i didn't have a true reason, i couldn't go. so i explained about how i was introduced to SM around three or four years ago just by looking at a poster and how i got so deep into music and how i wanted to audition because i just really wanted to do this.

she told me that she was disappointed in me because i didn't trust her and that she had the same experience when she was younger, but she'd actually been training. my grandfather cut her off from that at a young age, so she saw a lot of herself in me and told me to go for it because she sees me as the type to pursue what i want seriously and passionately. now i have her full support.

my dad thinks otherwise and it's a little painful, but what can i do? (prove him wrong. :P ♥)

my grandma watches korean music stars on shows all the time so when i told her the morning of the auditions, she had the biggest grin and said to me, ":D GOOD LUCK" in that korean english.

it's still a far off dream, but i think i can do it. ♥

/ gosh, that was a lot of writing.

omg that happened to me too D:

i lied to my mom about going to somewhere else instead of the auditions, and she said no, but when i finally told her the truth about going to auditions, she said yes, btu she was mad at me for lying to her =_= i'm so stupid D:

anyways... my parents are so-so. they don't really mind as long as i maintain my average and become successful in the future.

my dad even said that if i compose my own song and post it on youtube then people might realize me but i said i wanted to go to sm entertainment xP

my mom...?

currently, my mom is pursuing her dream of opening a piano studio (she's still in the process of actually learning piano). and since she's pursuing her dream right now, she can't object to me pursuing my own ^^

(originally she wanted to become a kindergarten teacher but she didn't).

so i'm pretty happy at where i am :D

Guest -anika.

Me: Mom, can I audition to be a singer?

Mom: WHAT!

Me: Yea, ugh, I really want to be a singer..... It's my passion.

Mom: Oh, then go try your best okay!

Brother's: HAHAHAHAHAHAA!! YOU CAN'T SING DORK!

Guest darren26

Funny this topic was brought up

I actually told my mom last week and she laughed at me.. I was like "I am being dead serious" and she rolled her eyes at me. I'm pretty much use to those reactions because I've been telling everyone recently how I want to be a Korean singer and they all took it as a joke. Coming from a typical Chinese family, they want me to work hard in school and not think about "DUMB" things.

Guest missyia

MY SISTER WE TOLD MY MOM & MY MOM JUS SAY ONLY IF YALL R GUD ENOUGH & THEY ACCEPT U THEM IT;LL BE OKAY. BUT YEA I THINK IT WILL BW HARD SINCE U DUNNO HOW TO SPEAK KOREAN BUT I GUESS HE (JYP) WILL TRAIN U.

BUT NOT SURE IF MY PARENTS WOULD SUPPORT US.

Me: Mom, can I audition to be a singer?

Mom: WHAT!

Me: Yea, ugh, I really want to be a singer..... It's my passion.

Mom: Oh, then go try your best okay!

Brother's: HAHAHAHAHAHAA!! YOU CAN'T SING DORK!

HAHA IF I TOLD MY BRO HE WILL BE MAKIN FUN OF ME TOO AHHA.

BUT YEA GO FOR IT!

Guest thaoyunho

When I was young my mom would teach me how to sing karaoke. Later on I kept singing.. and singing and I also went to dance class. Years later I realized I want to be a singer/artist. First it started with a joke but than I got serious and asked permission. My mom said, Okay you can do it.. but I won't help you, you need to make your dreams come true on your own. So she is supportive I guess? But it's not that they want me to do it.. They just don't want to stop my dream. I think they are also afraid that I will get rejected or not accept and that will make me sad. but I'm happy they won't stop me. She also said she wanted me to try go on vocal lessons. So this year I'm having singing classes and hoping to improve.

But !!!!! I can't go to another country. So that means NO Korea.. I can be a singer here but not in Korea... SIGH SIGH.. They accepted it... but I want to go audition for SM, JYP. T____________T So there is still a obstacle to get through, but before that I need to imrpove more!!

So everyone let's follow our dreams =D ^^

I think i was in middle school when i seriously considered being a singer in Korea,

and my parents, especially my mom, were TOTALLY against it.

They couldnt even give me a straight explanation as to why they opposed.

But now, when im already freaking 18, i was watching some performances on Inkigayo with my mom,

and i was singing along, and she suddenly asked if that's what i really wanted to do.

I've actually been trying to practice in secret, like when she wasnt home so that she wont yell at me

about wasting my time and whatnot.. but i think she might be okay with it?

Sigh. :unsure:

Guest takemetoseoul

I'm not confident enough to tell my parents.

whenever my mom and me start seeing like korean singers on t.v.

the whole room starts getting really awkward, and she's all like...look at those

singers these dayz, they really can't sing.

I just laugh it off...

As I grew up I think she kinda did find out that I was beginning to really like music

and she probably knew I wanted to be a singer even before I even knew I wanted to be one. lol....

Singing was my childhood dream ever since I was like 10yrs old.

i guess music really became my strength and source of supply to carry on in life.

That's why it became my dream, but sadly, I know my parents don't like that stuff...

well...my mom..that is..

When I was little I would put on little shows and sing to my parents...mom use to hate it

she acted like I was putting her on a spot where she didn't want to stay...

But my dad use to love it and told me..that I would be great as a singer...and then I would be so happy,

but suddenly i would see my mom's face and she would be like giving my dad the stink eye..like

"don't encourage the kid" yeah...and eventually my dad stopped saying stuff like that to me.

And even till this day..whenever I sing in the car she would always start to sing louder than me..to like shut me up.

Also..just for fun. me and my sister made a christmas album...on cassette tape and we made copies, but the original tape

that we had...was ruined, and i was like mom! do u have the christmas album we gave u? and she was like

"what? IDK... :mellow: where I put that"...she really might have lost it, but it wasn't that long since i gave it to her..

IDK..guess i kinda gave up my dream 2 b a singer.

'Cause I knew tat wouldn't make my mom happy and she's been through a lot.

The funny thing is...she's not really like other asian mom's who want their child to be a doctor or lawyer

she wanted me to do something w/art...and now I am majoring in graphic design...

But somehow all in the end...even from time to time I really want to be a singer, but

I know in a way it will never happen to me...*shrugs* IDK..hehe

Now I sing really horrible...

I'm now going back to singing here and there on soompi..just for fun.

Man..though I seriously can't sing now...hehe

seriously i never sang like in 5yrs....I'm serious..cause i didn't want 2 sing those times

'cause i was trying to forget about singing...'cause i knew it wasn't the path i was trying to go to.

But anyways now..i know though...haha i really can't sing good.

hehe dude i need to stop writing .. i wrote tooooo much. ^^

i just had to reply to this

nearly made me cry

its so sad i wish you could still go for your dream and try

but i know what you mean when and its beautiful and really selfless of you to sacrifice it for your mom's sake

you're an amazing person

this is also whats holding me back from giving it my all..

but i'm too selfish and wouldnt be able to live with myself (regrets)

so i'm still going to try

but i just wanted to say that youre a really good person :)

i wish i could do that,,,,,,, but.....

i cant ><

Guest wakana_akemi

typical asian parents xD always wants their kids to be lawyers, doctors and that stuff...

that would be cool, but i want to be a singer. I just want to learn dance since in many auditions for singing, they want you to dance as well.

true. asian parents like their kids to be doctors, lawyers, etc.&there's something about asian parents makin their child learn violin and piano too.

When I was young my mom would teach me how to sing karaoke. Later on I kept singing.. and singing and I also went to dance class. Years later I realized I want to be a singer/artist. First it started with a joke but than I got serious and asked permission. My mom said, Okay you can do it.. but I won't help you, you need to make your dreams come true on your own. So she is supportive I guess? But it's not that they want me to do it.. They just don't want to stop my dream. I think they are also afraid that I will get rejected or not accept and that will make me sad. but I'm happy they won't stop me. She also said she wanted me to try go on vocal lessons. So this year I'm having singing classes and hoping to improve.

But !!!!! I can't go to another country. So that means NO Korea.. I can be a singer here but not in Korea... SIGH SIGH.. They accepted it... but I want to go audition for SM, JYP. T____________T So there is still a obstacle to get through, but before that I need to imrpove more!!

So everyone let's follow our dreams =D ^^

That's so nice how your mom encourages you^^

I actually don't have a mom. My grandma is my mom to me. dad encourages me since he wanted to be a singer too but ended up being a buisness man.

Funny this topic was brought up

I actually told my mom last week and she laughed at me.. I was like "I am being dead serious" and she rolled her eyes at me. I'm pretty much use to those reactions because I've been telling everyone recently how I want to be a Korean singer and they all took it as a joke. Coming from a typical Chinese family, they want me to work hard in school and not think about "DUMB" things.

Same with me! People say things like "you're not being realistic", "it's a dirty world there", "your dream isn't practical", and all that.

That's annoying, but don't listen to them! Go for it or else you'll regret it! Anyways, that's the reason I stopped telling people "iwanna be a singer."

Although I'm pretty young, I do want to become a serious singer. I know it's tough, and that there's corruption and all the works, but I'm willing to get through it.

I'm not telling my parents for sure. I know they'll just laugh and say that I'm young and I'll want a serious job later. That's the way they are. (My mom was a singer back in VN, though, so maybe my mom would let me.)

I told my sister. Big mistake. She said when I'm 18. She also said that I'm probably not dedicated enough, or willing to learn enough. She said they'd tear me apart. My sister also mentioned that it's too hard, that they probably won't accept me because I'm Viet, that I didn't know what went on.

I'm for sure NOT going to SM. I know what happens. I'm planning maybe going for DSP.

So, basically my sister thought that this is a silly dream from a kid who doesn't know anything. Great.

Guest loveme.

I guess some parents are super supportive and others are just...like...NO.

My mom is the "no" one. I only told her...and my brother, who was really nice about it. :)

But I was like, "Mom, there's these SM Global Auditions soon, and I want to go...?"

And she's like, "...Do you...have to go?"

So...I mean, it's pretty obvious she's not going to take me ever, so I was like, "Oh, no, I guess not."

I wish, though....

I sing all day long... seriously.

I just can't help myself whenever I hear any music, any song to at least hum along it.

I have the dream of singing to people for so long I can't even remember. Besides my love for music and my passion for singing there's that feeling I always have when listening or watching my favorites performers, that smile they put on my face, the happiness they bring to my life. I have this urge to be like this to others too, you know? Just know I can make their day a little bit better, to know they can smile and because of my music.

Anyways... Everytime I sing at home parents and sister tell me to shut up. Or they mock me in every way possible.

Once I told my father I wanted to get singing lessons, he just ignored me. They laugh at me and all this is so discouraging. I get really embaressed by them so I usually only sing locked in my room or on a karaoke, but we don't have much of these around where I live.

Fo sometime I was the lead singer for a jrock band. At the begining I had to lie to my parents and boyfried (yes, my own boyfriend makes fun of me too xD) when I was going to rehearsals. I decided to tell them, they didnt say I couldn't but at the same time they never said: "That's great, have fun!" They only laughed. I left home straight for the studio my eyes burning with tears.

I had so much fun at the rehearsals, I was so happy at that time I spent with my friend doing music, doing what i love. Unfortunately me and other members were busy with "real life" and we couldn't continue on so the band came to an end.

Now I join colaborations and projects all around the internet. That's the way I found to at least try to fulfill this huge dream.

It would be awesome to audition for any korean company, specially SM. But I live so far away, and my salary doesn't really let me get anywhere near an audition xD

Of course i could try the brazilian music industry, excluding the fact they don't really make the kind of music I like, what's wrong with that? u_u. Oh yeah, my parents think I'm ridiculous for even trying.

Also I always have the thought I'm to old for this (22) and that I should be worried with graduating from college, getting a real job and starting a life that singing should be just a hobby. Oh well...

I'm so tempted to send that audition email to SM just to see if I could make through the first round. But then I'm too chickened out, what if they like me? I don't have how to attend the second round cause it probably has to be in person. And I'll probably be the saddest person ever cause I will never have the chance to get there and audition and show what I'm capable of.

So I just stay here, and sing for myself and for people online and have fun by doing it.

I'm sorry for my long sad story, it was just nice to have a place to vent without being judged. Sorry again if all my rant doesn't make sense. ;D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wakana_akemi

Although I'm pretty young, I do want to become a serious singer. I know it's tough, and that there's corruption and all the works, but I'm willing to get through it.

I'm not telling my parents for sure. I know they'll just laugh and say that I'm young and I'll want a serious job later. That's the way they are. (My mom was a singer back in VN, though, so maybe my mom would let me.)

I told my sister. Big mistake. She said when I'm 18. She also said that I'm probably not dedicated enough, or willing to learn enough. She said they'd tear me apart. My sister also mentioned that it's too hard, that they probably won't accept me because I'm Viet, that I didn't know what went on.

I'm for sure NOT going to SM. I know what happens. I'm planning maybe going for DSP.

So, basically my sister thought that this is a silly dream from a kid who doesn't know anything. Great.

Why not SM?

I honestly don't care what entertainment company I get into......

I sing all day long... seriously.

I just can't help myself whenever I hear any music, any song to at least hum along it.

I have the dream of singing to people for so long I can't even remember. Besides my love for music and my passion for singing there's that feeling I always have when listening or watching my favorites performers, that smile they put on my face, the happiness they bring to my life. I have this urge to be like this to others too, you know? Just know I can make their day a little bit better, to know they can smile and because of my music.

Anyways... Everytime I sing at home parents and sister tell me to shut up. Or they mock me in every way possible.

Once I told my father I wanted to get singing lessons, he just ignored me. They laugh at me and all this is so discouraging. I get really embaressed by them so I usually only sing locked in my room or on a karaoke, but we don't have much of these around where I live.

Fo sometime I was the lead singer for a jrock band. At the begining I had to lie to my parents and boyfried (yes, my own boyfriend makes fun of me too xD) when I was going to rehearsals. I decided to tell them, they didnt say I couldn't but at the same time they never said: "That's great, have fun!" They only laughed. I left home straight for the studio my eyes burning with tears.

I had so much fun at the rehearsals, I was so happy at that time I spent with my friend doing music, doing what i love. Unfortunately me and other members were busy with "real life" and we couldn't continue on so the band came to an end.

Now I join colaborations and projects all around the internet. That's the way I found to at least try to fulfill this huge dream.

It would be awesome to audition for any korean company, specially SM. But I live so far away, and my salary doesn't really let me get anywhere near an audition xD

Of course i could try the brazilian music industry, excluding the fact they don't really make the kind of music I like, what's wrong with that? u_u. Oh yeah, my parents think I'm ridiculous for even trying.

Also I always have the thought I'm to old for this (22) and that I should be worried with graduating from college, getting a real job and starting a life that singing should be just a hobby. Oh well...

I'm so tempted to send that audition email to SM just to see if I could make through the first round. But then I'm too chickened out, what if they like me? I don't have how to attend the second round cause it probably has to be in person. And I'll probably be the saddest person ever cause I will never have the chance to get there and audition and show what I'm capable of.

So I just stay here, and sing for myself and for people online and have fun by doing it.

I'm sorry for my long sad story, it was just nice to have a place to vent without being judged. Sorry again if all my rant doesn't make sense. ;D

No, I don't mind if you rant on! It's fine with me, just sorry things didn't turn out so well for you...T.t.

I don't think 22 is too old, really. I mean, you can still make it if you're good enough. I hate it when people make fun of our dreams....I'm 15 and pretty serious about wanting to be a singer. It's been my dream since pre-school. I was inspired somehow, I think...But I don't remmeber why I decided it. Anyways, your lucky to experience being in a band. None of my friends are interested in starting one. I want to make one, but....*sighs*

Well, I won't give up&neither should you!

Archived