What Did Your Parents Think When U Said "i Wanna Be A Singer"?

Guest pris716

Guest wombasong

The weird thing is...my parents want me to be a singer, even though I have no interest in it.

A few years ago, my mom actually forced me into taking singing lessons for a few months, but I quit because I hated it.

I like singing as a hobby, not a profession.

If I told them I was going to audition for SM or something, they would probably support me...

Weird...even though they're the typical Koreans with the obsession with education, they keep pushing me into singing more.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird thing is...my parents want me to be a singer, even though I have no interest in it.

A few years ago, my mom actually forced me into taking singing lessons for a few months, but I quit because I hated it.

I like singing as a hobby, not a profession.

If I told them I was going to audition for SM or something, they would probably support me...

Weird...even though they're the typical Koreans with the obsession with education, they keep pushing me into singing more.

....rly?

i think it's cuz when ur parents were little, they probably wanted to become a singer.

but since they couldn't, they want you to. ^^''

well... good luck with everything :)

Guest Neko-Yama

everyone here seems to get a lot of support from their family. this is what counts, it'll help you get through hardships. good luck everyone :)

Guest SleepiiDreamer

"stop dreaming and do your homework. that dream isn't going to bring you nowhere...

plus...you can't sing. you'll just make a fool out of yourself."

they say smart people are the only ones that go somewhere in life </3

there goes my dream.

Guest Hae-Jin

I always loved to sing when I was little(like around 7 years old, can't remember) but never thought about being a singer until one day I was at my friend's sleepover and said we should have a singing contest... I won and told me I should be a singer because I was really amazing....

I didn't believe them because when I told my parents I wanted to be a singer...they laughed at me and said that was impossible....so I was a bit sad.... I'm still trying though, just lost a lot of confidence.

Guest euuuNICE

I don't even know what my mom says anymore.

Sometimes she just goes, "just study."

Sometimes she comes up to me and says, "do you want to become a singer(or model)?" and she brings up my cousin who has some kind of connections to famous people. When she says that I dont even know if she's like serious or not because she sounds serious but at the same time it sounds like she's joking.

But then afterwards, when I bring up what she said, she just say "just study." -_____-

Guest Neko-Yama

I'm not confident enough to tell my parents.

whenever my mom and me start seeing like korean singers on t.v.

the whole room starts getting really awkward, and she's all like...look at those

singers these dayz, they really can't sing.

I just laugh it off...

As I grew up I think she kinda did find out that I was beginning to really like music

and she probably knew I wanted to be a singer even before I even knew I wanted to be one. lol....

Singing was my childhood dream ever since I was like 10yrs old.

i guess music really became my strength and source of supply to carry on in life.

That's why it became my dream, but sadly, I know my parents don't like that stuff...

well...my mom..that is..

When I was little I would put on little shows and sing to my parents...mom use to hate it

she acted like I was putting her on a spot where she didn't want to stay...

But my dad use to love it and told me..that I would be great as a singer...and then I would be so happy,

but suddenly i would see my mom's face and she would be like giving my dad the stink eye..like

"don't encourage the kid" yeah...and eventually my dad stopped saying stuff like that to me.

And even till this day..whenever I sing in the car she would always start to sing louder than me..to like shut me up.

Also..just for fun. me and my sister made a christmas album...on cassette tape and we made copies, but the original tape

that we had...was ruined, and i was like mom! do u have the christmas album we gave u? and she was like

"what? IDK... :mellow: where I put that"...she really might have lost it, but it wasn't that long since i gave it to her..

IDK..guess i kinda gave up my dream 2 b a singer.

'Cause I knew tat wouldn't make my mom happy and she's been through a lot.

The funny thing is...she's not really like other asian mom's who want their child to be a doctor or lawyer

she wanted me to do something w/art...and now I am majoring in graphic design...

But somehow all in the end...even from time to time I really want to be a singer, but

I know in a way it will never happen to me...*shrugs* IDK..hehe

Now I sing really horrible...

I'm now going back to singing here and there on soompi..just for fun.

Man..though I seriously can't sing now...hehe

seriously i never sang like in 5yrs....I'm serious..cause i didn't want 2 sing those times

'cause i was trying to forget about singing...'cause i knew it wasn't the path i was trying to go to.

But anyways now..i know though...haha i really can't sing good.

hehe dude i need to stop writing .. i wrote tooooo much. ^^

i understand how you must have felt and still feel...

Guest M@dLyiNLoveWityEsung

they'll probably say no and i really don't got the guts to tell them cos my parents already decided what i'm going to do in the future, which SUCKS, but i don't want to disappoint them.

about singing ... i just started singing 3 years ago. my friends say i'm good (of course) but i don't know.

singing is a lot of work. it is not just "sing" a song. you're trying to get the message/meaning of the song out to the people around the world. every song has a meaning and i feel that when you become a singer, or want to be one, you have to think about how your song will help others, how it will move them, bring joyful tears and touch their hearts, leaving a warm feeling inside of them your music/song has create. that's what i think of a singer (and composers too.)

again about how my parents act. they'll be like "huh?" laugh, shrug then give me a long lecture of what they think is best for me. (but i'm a girl!!) anyways, i can't tell them cos i ono what i really want to do in the future. *shrugs* so, that's how they'll be.

Guest tokyohoney

my mom just said its hard to become a singer and not all singers have that "glam" life everyone thinks they have and its super hard work.

it was during my middle school years when i wanted to be one and it was those "i want to be like britney spears!!!" phases hahah

and she always said studying was a more guaranteed option (which is very true)

she never put me down though i was never that enthusiatic about it, my sister on the other hand swears that i could make it but i have yet to audition for anything lmao so whatever

Guest pape_teru

I loved singing and dancing and modeling when i was 8 because ppl around me always said i should become a model cause of my height(though right now i'm only 170cm^^)I'm so envious of you guys,your parents are so supportive.

I can't tell them my dream of being a DANCER/SINGER in KOREA!!I tell them once that i wanna be a dancer and they stare at me like:"R U serious??Nah~,just a joke!"and ignore me~~OMG,i wish that they could understand me and my dream.I bet 100% they wont let me follow my dream like that.

So can anyone tell me how to tell your parents about your dream in a careful way?I mean like a safe way not to make them freak out and start saying stuff like :"What r u thinking about?U should study now,not dreaming bout that blah blah blah??

Guest iiHeartNutx33

My mum straight-forwardly told me to give up trying to be one of 'them' and just try to get into the best university. Hell, I swear, most of the parents these days only care about certificates and whether or not their child(ren) will be able to be a doctor, lawyer or one of those high-pay and high-professioned jobs. Don't the happiness of their kids matter to them anymore?

To those who have supportive parents and/or siblings, good for you and I wish you the best of luck! But for the rest of us, we have to fight to keep our dreams alive. =D

- iiHeartNutx33

Guest grouch

My parents were pretty supportive, because I was going to choose my major in music anyways :)

I'm very involved with my school's choir, so my parents knew I was going to become a singer/songwriter someday in the future :)

For those of you with unsupportive parents, keep trying!

I'm only 15.. maybe my parents think that I'm too young to think about my future, but I know I will try out to make it big!

FIGHTING SOOMPI FORUMS!

Guest kimmmmy

Well like,I told my mommy and daddy when I was like 10 that I wanted to become a singer and all they did was laugh >.<

This year,I'm 13 I told them and they didn't laugh becasue they knew I was serious :T

My mommy supports me...I think. xD

My daddy he just says, "Why do you want to beocme a singer?You aren't going to be happy becasue they always travel and they barely get to see their family."

But I think they both know I soon will be audition for something becasue these days I'm practicing singing and stuff. (:

Guest **JAO JIA LER**

I dont' know why many parents laught and do like it can be TRUE!

'cause my parents did that hahaha^^

they said " u cant' be there because it's a hard competition..u can't get through it!"

that makes me a little give up..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AegyoAngela

TT.TT my mum says i won't make it and she won't let me -_- she says im better off doing something else , why do all parents want you to be doctor or lawyer or tearcher or something??!! i wish i had supportive parents. aspecially cos i live in Aus , i can't go to korea T.T

They seriously laughed at me ._.

They think I'm too "shy" and "not-smart" to face the public & their comments.

Like dude, I go through school everyday ya know o_o;;

(not saying im a loser in school its just that there ARE mean people in school)

All they care about is me getting into a good school so they can brag off to their friends -_-

Well, who knows, it is possible that I might be one~

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lilasianbabe411

oh gosh,

well my mom told me to finish my studies , become a doctor and then i could be a singer.

but after being a doctor i'll be like 30 years old because i would have to go to med school for forever.

i haven't told my dad cause i already know what his reaction will be.

absolute NO!

my dad has alot of pride. and he really wants me to be somebody successful * cough cough doctor cough cough* lol .

but im thinking to myself "well singers can be successful too...."

They dont know how much i want to be in the korean entertainment industry.

and i cant tell my friends either cause they will just laugh.

so yeah .

Guest bboy_eternity

Well not really a singe, but a dancer. I told my mom I wanna be a dancer and she was at first hesitant, but now she's kinda supportive. Although she reminds me constantly that it'll be hard and I won't have any support because I'll be alone in Korea. My dad on the other hand I don't think I've told him. He knows I compete and all, but whenever we talk about dancing he says "It's a nice hobby, it keeps you active and you're not shy anymore. But it's just a hobby you can't make a career out of it."

Even though he says that it just makes me more determined to make it as a dancer and make a living off of it. So I'd say it's 50/50 support for me haha

Archived