[THE OFFICIAL] IU 아이유 Thread

akinahana89

thanks for welcoming me guys~ really appreciate it :) oh yeah, I just got back from NB and read the intl peeps comments on this issue. I just cant stand their irony and hypocrisy. They claimed that AKP are full of delusional people that only scream "oppars", "unnirs" etc and assuming themselves are much better cause they hang out in NB more... at certain circumstances I admit that they do have more rational minded but recently I realized most of them are just being elitist and hypocrite. They attack k-netz for being irrational yet they're doing the same thing. from the article that said IU's rude to her sunbaes, everyone was really jump into conclusion that she's rude, then the explanation article released from the PD and inetz at NB was play innocent when they were the one that no diff with knetz that jump into conclusion straight away from the 1st article... the hypocrisy seriously overwhelmed. =__=even tho, there are sensible comment from some inetz, and the one that nasty one are burying these sensible ones... 
just to share the sensible comments one that stated with their experience in this music genre:

• 5. [+203, -15] It blows my mind that IU fans are shielding this by claiming that it's how all the swings/jazz genre songs sound like ㅋㅋㅋ The controversial part is not the rhythm but the melody, chord, and brass that are all the same.

As someone who's been in a jazz band (high school for two years; second trumpet), swing/jazz may sound alike due to the fact that swing/jazz is fast, uses clonking (refers to the piano playing style) and is constructed around a big band (which has a set number of saxophone, trombone, and trumpet players), but if you break it down in chord structure and melody lines, these songs are VERY different from each other.

I listened to both and the only thing that's similar is the introduction with the drum solo (which btw is one very typically used in swing/jazz music). However, legally, plagiarism requires at least 4 bars of measure to be used, and the drum solo in IU's song lasts for only 2 bars. So legally, it's not plagiarism. Really, plagiarism is only used for melodies and the melodies of these two songs are not the same.

If anything, it would've been more believable if they thought she plagiarized a song from the Great Gatsby soundtrack cause her song is more in that direction. Humorously, her music video is also more in the styling of the Great Gatsby movie as well. Especially the ending part when it zooms out from IU on the balcony to over the city.

• I wanted to say the same thing here as well. As a professional jazz musician, I've played a LOT of jazz pieces with different ensembles. Jazz composers (particularly in the Swing genre) tend to do a lot of sampling. That PARTICULAR part in both IU and Nekta's song is NOT unique to either of them and can be found in big band swing tunes all the way back to the early 30's.

Tracy  an hour ago

People who accuse IU of plagiarizing this Nekta girl needs to understand they are both sampling Ella Fitzgerald, queen of swing. Listen to some of Ella's early stuff and you will find similar riffs throughout her pieces.

The style of swing IU has in her piece dates back to the 1930s' and 1940s'. Naturally, her piece follows the style of bass and drums as big bands back in those day. Music students in university who train under classical jazz are pretty much instructed to sample riffs from these pieces and to stylize them in a modern way. (How electro jazz was born!)

Please realize that composers go through years of training to be able to put together songs of this calibre. It IU truly was plagiarizing, I would be the first one outraged because that is one of the biggest taboos in the music industry. The composers put out an explanation which made sense, yet because Netizens don't understand music theory, they brush it off as 'technical jargon' and thus a poor excuse. After listening to both songs, particularly the parts under accusation, I can most definitely say IU is NOT plagiarizing Nekta. In fact, they are both sampling a well-known swing riff that can be found in many other jazz tunes.

Credentials: Professional (paid) Saxophone player who has 6 years experience playing with a wind ensemble/jazz band.

Edited to add: I wish I could find other swing songs with the same riff to list as sources, but unfortunately my memory is not that good. I will however, email my boss who has been a jazz composer for 30+ years (he has over 100 published pieces) the video in question and ask him to name a few other songs with that particular riff and report back.

ICONI3  2 hours ago

Ok I've listened again, and I'm hearing a little bit in the verses, but not enough for me to think it was intentionally done.

Idk just knowing the history of the producer why would someone who created great original hits like "Abracadabra","Sixth Sense"."Bloom","Irreversible","Good day",You&I","The grasshopper song",and more need to steal when he has proven that he's pretty original in his own right?

Call me delusional if you want because I'm not jumping on the train, but whatever.

The good about this whole thing is that I'm searching more of Electronic Swing. Swing Jazz music to listen to and draw my own conclusion and I actually like this genre :D

I guess this whole thing is a bless in disguise. at least for me :)

@everyone
I think that earlier post, I forget by whom, saying that the more successful someone is, the more haters they have is unfortunately true.  What really blows me away is those commenters who have absolutely have no familiarity with jazz/swing/big band act like they know it all and refuse to listen to anyone who is knowledgeable about these types of matters.  Their silliness and immaturity just shines through.In either case, this just shows those haters that IU is and will still continue to be relevant no matter how much they wish that was not the case.

I saw from twitter also that K-Uaenas RT-ing, composers like Kim Hyungsuk, Big Hit Ent CEO, Bang Si hyuk and MBC Music Camp's writer Bae Soontak all come forward on their twitter to pointing out their opinion in this issue. How that in music perspective, it's different and it's not a plagiarism issue. and there are articles that being written on these feedback from these composers but as usual, it's not a popular articles... hence people just dont know or dont care... /sigh :(
and I also was come across with a comment at one of this article. He is a music student or something and he was quite annoyed that it's so simple when people listen to something and found that it sounds similar so it must be plagiarism. cause for them in music field, it maybe sounds similar but it's not the same song or chord. of course, normal people like us, it's hard for us to understand all the technical music terms... we may think it is same but deep down it's not... this is the person blog => Choi Jisoo
Okay, this is my last post since I need to sleep now lol :D see you guys again~ 

two composers were tweeting that this plagiarism issue is bs. I dont know korean but google translate basically gave me the general idea

김형석 @kimhs0927 6h

비밥스윙은 빠른 템포의 곡.그러다 보니 보편적으로 리듬의 형태가 비슷하다.빠른 일렉트로닉 댄스곡의 리듬구성들이 비슷하듯이.그것을 표절이라 보기엔 무리가 있다.코드웍도 다르고...노래는 분홍신이 훨씬 신나고 좋은데?

방시혁 @hitmanb 7h

아이유 '분홍신'이 표절이라는 분들... 음악에는 쟝르와 클리셰라는 개념이 있답니다. 분홍신이 표절이면 그 많은 스윙재즈 곡들은 거의 전곡이 서로 표절이라고 해야 할 겁니다.

I hope someone would translate this to eng for us and we can spread it. These composers are professions and i think people would believe professional more rather than random comments

I feel so sad that IU is being brought down with another stupid controversy. Our baby cant catch a break can she? sigh..... I hope this will blow over soon and won affect her and the drama. ( i would hate it if the drama doesnt do well and they start to blame her)

OMG Even professionals are defending them. I'm really touched to see these people supporting IU and Lee Min Soo. People should understand that if they are not professional, they should just keep quiet instead of accusing others of plagiarism. It's the first time that I see composers (who are not even working with Loen btw) giving their objective opinions when there is this kind of issue. It just shows how annoyed they must have been to see innocent people getting all the hate for this BS.

@shabbychic @phoung @meahri66
That guy 방시혁 @hitmanb 7h is basically addressing all the people who are saying that Red Shoes is plagiarized and explaining that there is such a thing as a genre called jazz and if you call Red Shoes plagiarized, you call to call a lot of jazz songs as plagiarized too!Big Yes!  Sorry it's not word for word but a general gist of what he's saying

@9jill9 WOW I'm really touched that he took the time to tweet this. And that guy is not just a random guy, he is the ceo of Big hit entertainment. I actually watched a show where he appeared, he produced many hit songs and he also worked with Baek Ji young, 2am, JYP,....

@9jill9 thank you so much for translating I was guessing as much

@shabbychic  @meahri66  We should tip allkpop about this since it's the fastest way to let ppl know. Also i saw a lot of negative comments on NB. There seem to be a lot of IU haters over there. When there is bad news about her they wont hesitated to believe it and sided with knetizens But when there is good news they ignored it (less comments) or completely commented about other things. And good sensible comments got burried by haters' comments sigh....

IU has less fans (or fan who are quite) than other groups and sometimes i feel so bad for her cause whenever she's in trouble there arent a lot of people to defense her =( 

One of the main reason why i want her to do this PM drama is because drama is an effective way to reach out to a lot of people and let them know how talented IU is.  We all saw the effect of how ytblss really helped IU and she gained a lot more fans because of it. So yeah I was one of  few ppl that want her to do this drama from the start. Even if it's a train wrecked  it will benefit her in one way or another.~~~ ( also the production team is pretty good esp the writer)

You know I was just at NBuzz and you know the shocking thing?The people at NBuzz are really, really ignorant.  I mean they're really just ignoring the expert opinions and going with their own opinion.  Hell, I can't wait for them to grow up and find out that unless they have the credentials, their opinion don't mean squat!