[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Did this drama change scriptwriters in the middle of the story? Is that what happened?

I agree that this drama had THE potential to be THE BEST HANA YORI DANGO adaptation.

Already the cast was the best-looking, and the scenery played up the rich, exclusive feel of HYD that the Taiwanese and Japanese versions were never able to achieve.

But the storyline is FAIL

There are so so so so so many flaws with the drama I could write a thesis paper on it. Whoever the scriptwriter is needs to go back to film school b/c he/she can't write to save her life.

Agree with you 100% and I will also include the PD. I think we can all agree at this point that something went terribly wrong with this drama. And it's not just bc so many of us are upset with how the story is playing out and all the useless JH scenes. PD, scriptwriter, I don't know who's behind the mess, but there is a mess that can't be fixed now. First, I think this is the first series I've watched where so many of the cast members got into accidents. And why is that happening? Bc someone isn't doing their job in terms of making sure that things stay on schedule. I know that this drama is popular and sometimes the filming gets delayed bc there are so many fans. So then stop leaking information! Yes, people want spoilers, but not at the risk of the actors' health and safety. And certainly not at the risk of botched storyline. All Korean dramas are filmed as they are aired and they manage to do what needs to be done. In this drama, things have just gotten out of control. Why are the cast only able to get 5 minutes of sleep each night? Is it bc their acting is so terrible that they need to take a million takes of a scene? Is that why we see so many pointless JH scenes? Bc the other actors can't get their stuff together so the PD figures he'll just fill out the slotted time with pointless scenes of non-acting? I think we can all agree that the other actors are doing well enough that this scenario seems unlikely. So then what is the problem?

The spoilers are now just confirming that the ending will be a complete waste and it's such a shame because this drama did start off really well. It had so much potential and had such a high following and this is how it's going to end. And the part that's really confusing is that we have no explanation for what has happened to what used to be our favorite drama. I really cannot believe that viewers in Korea are so different from viewers in the international community that they are just going along and applauding the PD and scriptwriter. I think I would almost prefer that they just give up now then to continue messing up what could have been an excellent series.

Guest allywally21

1. Why does Yijung and Junpyo always shout whenever they’re crying? WHY?

2. Seeing Minho with that kid sent my biological clock ticking... AND I DON'T EVEN PLAN ON HAVING KIDS... wahahaha!

3. Seriously, tell me now… This is not really a remake of Hana Yori Dango right? It must be the Fifth installment of the overly dramatic seasons series (Autumn in my heart, Winter Sonata, Summer Scent and Spring Waltz?)

This installment could be entitled Rainy Day Showers and renamed Boys over Flowers to trick us…

1. so we can REALLY hear them. their angst ridden faces all scrunched up will not do. they need to REALLY SCREAM IT OUT so we simpleton audience members can truly understand their pain. <_< i have to turn down the volume whenever a boy-crying-scene comes on bc it scares the baby. shoot. it scares ME! :o

2. lol~ that boy was CUTE. =)

3. i was a weepy mess with gahul donga and winter sonata... not so much here. but still... it's a little annoying that a supposedly lighthearted drama turned into a dramaqueen session.

LOL about your comment with yijung and woobin! if that was in the states and they were chitchatting somewhere in santa monica, you KNOW ppl would have been like "dayam. that's a FINE looking gay couple!" and girls would walk by with serious sadness in their eyes. shoot. i'd walk by thinking, "what a waste!!! too bad female world."

u guys might get angried again with the spoiler! i cant say anything since i read it! the 1st time really hope that baidu is wrong :(

note: dont know it is reliable or not

- JH thinks that he owed JP (who got stabbed for him) so he hided his feeling towards JD again

- umi appears

- Jp's dad recovers and he loves JD. ma ma kang seems to accept JD

- but JH's situation is so pitiful. He is rejected by JHD, hsi grandfa is hospitalized. being a friend, JD cant ignore him.

- finally, she goes abroad for studying, leaving behind the 2 hurt men

- 5 years later, JD comes back to Korea and open a clinic. incidentally, she meets JH and they have a talk. they're still good friends

- Jp is the president of shinwa. he's very busy with his work but keeps on missing JD. ma ma kang has changed so much, she and JP's da are happy

- ths to JH, JD and JP meet . they look at the other with the eyes of missing and surprise

- after GE leaves, Yj spends his day on making pottery and waits for her

source: Baidu/Daum

translated by me. uploaded by kst

my question: where does JD get money to study abroad? dont say that she gets a scholarship! :D

F4fan: u really make me laugh! ha ha. i do hope that this spoiler is wrong, girl!

------ i would never be surprse i juz dont expect to much after so many depressing eps i think i got use to it. for sure they gonna rush the ending thats the easiest way to do it. 1-5 years later very disapointing ending. unless they would add another ep.

u guys might get angried again with the spoiler! i cant say anything since i read it! the 1st time really hope that baidu is wrong :(

- JH thinks that he owed JP (who got stabbed for him) so he hided his feeling towards JD again

- umi appears

- but JH's situation is so pitiful. He is rejected by JHD, hsi grandfa is hospitalized. being a friend, JD cant ignore him.

- 5 years later, JD comes back to Korea and open a clinic. incidentally, she meets JH and they have a talk. they're still good friends

- Jp is the president of shinwa. he's very busy with his work but keeps on missing JD. ma ma kang has changed so much, she and JP's da are happy

- ths to JH, JD and JP meet . they look at the other with the eyes of missing and surprise

my question: where does JD get money to study abroad? dont say that she gets a scholarship! :D

F4fan: u really make me laugh! ha ha. i do hope that this spoiler is wrong, girl!

PLEASE..I BEG YOU..TELL ME THAT THIS IS JUST ...A FUNNY STORY?

What the hell is going here?

Because JH is so pitiful? Oh my God..the writer makes my JH to be so pathetic. From the beginning JH never wants the sympathy from other pp, even F4. He is so strong, calm and independent. Moreover, JH always wants JD to be happy,how come he lets her go away, with broken heart like that..

And why Jandi should go away? She did not love JH? Why she will go?

OH MY GOD..I AM GOING CRAZY

Guest kje_chocolate

That spoiler look like MY GIRL's ending to me...

I wonder if this series is Hana Yori Dango remake or My Girl remake..

Did Jun Ki Sang PD nim have no other way than make the leading role go aboard and comeback after "n" years...?

OMG....Can't belive if that is true...hahaa

Guest shamien7

I just have one question that needs to be clarified; since when did the title of this drama become JiHoo Over Flowers?

Last time I checked it was called JaekYung Over Flowers, I mean Boys Over Flowers, you know, the manga whose leading characters are supposed to be Domyouji and Makino.

-- why the PD needs to be so cruel to JoonDi?

xiam9, ml_87, below are the answer for you...

------THAT THE PD AND THE SCRIPTWRITER OF BOF IS ACTUALLY MADAM KANG IN DISGUISE! Woooohhhhh !!!

3. Seriously, tell me now… This is not really a remake of Hana Yori Dango right? It must be the Fifth installment of the overly dramatic seasons series (Autumn in my heart, Winter Sonata, Summer Scent and Spring Waltz?)

This installment could be entitled Rainy Day Showers and renamed Boys over Flowers to trick us…

Haha...really flower pot...either the PD and his scriptwriter are Devil Mama Kang's advocate herself or they have been possessed by her after episode 12...apparently, torturing JP and JD (and also JH by making him look really pitiful) isnt enough, she's trying to spread the angst all over the world...we're the Dark Majesty victim! :ph34r:

edit!!! (again!)

ml_87...plz tell me you're making early april fool joke!

they look at the other with the eyes of missing and surprise ??!?!?!?!!

Is this the ending??? TT_TT

WTFHKDREGBNNBVRFGMLLPOIUYT!!

*Runs off to curse properly to the world*

blue_angel_1004! you're my angel tonite!!! *Bear hug!*

Guest ml_87

That spoiler look like MY GIRL's ending to me...

I wonder if this series is Hana Yori Dango remake or My Girl remake..

Did Jun Ki Sang PD nim have no other way than make the leading role go aboard and comeback after "n" years...?

OMG....Can't belive if that is true...hahaa

ss Vi: me, too! the more i read it, the more i think it's ridiculous! :rolleyes: if the scriptwriter makes the ending like this, i will boycott her 4ever! :angry:

mei: yes, i dun understand why JD has to scapse? it's JD's mistake that she doesnt love JH?

love is selfish. why she has to be so generous?

blueangle: i'm waiting for u! but what? 4 years? OMG, it's not different ot me! no time jump, pls!

flower pot: OMG, i'm still laughing now. u're so funny, dear!!

Guest juneforest2000

So i finally got around to watching Episode 23 and as usual sharing my thoughts on it for everyone...

---------------------

After watching countless episodes of my JUNDI ship being together for only a couple of minutes before they are yet torn apart again for what feels like eternity… I think I am starting to unravel what the twist in this entire version of Hana Yori Dango is… I think… I think… (Drumroll please…) THAT THE PD AND THE SCRIPTWRITER OF BOF IS ACTUALLY MADAM KANG IN DISGUISE! Woooohhhhh !!! (shock all around, gasping, heartclutching as realization sinks in…)

Who else would be so evil as to think of giving someone a moment of happiness only to take it all back and then some in the next minute? Why can’t you even let us be happy for just one freakin’ episode Mr. PD and Miss Scriptwriter? WHYYYYYYYYYY??? Would it hurt to give us what we want when it is obvious that audiences around the globe are clamoring for more JunDi moments?

SADISTIC PLEASURE I TELL YOU… SADISTIC PLEASURE…

The episode started out with so much promise as Jandi and Junpyo continue on their zoo date… As I begin blissfully imagining how much better the storyline of this show would have been if only Jandi gets pregnant and gives birth to a little JunDi (and along with that HOW MUCH, MUCH BETTER IT WOULD really be if only they show the process of how they go about making it)… I also get a dark sense of foreboding of how much Devil PD will charge me back in terms of heartbreak and angst for this moment of giddy happiness with other scenes later on in the episode…

Alas! I would not have to wait for long to find out, since Secretary Jung is already calling Junpyo to report back to the mother ship… As Junpyo turns over a sleeping cute Chan to Jandi and goes on his way before Mama Kang sends the hounds of hell loose on him… Jandi and Junpyo both turn around to look at each other in goodbye lovingly before parting ways… (WAHAHAHA! THIS SERIES IS REALLY MAKING ME LAUGH… NOT EVEN A KISS PD? A DOGGONE PECK? A SMACK? WHAT ABOUT A HANDSHAKE? They barely see each other and all they can do is… LOOK AT EACH OTHER? C’mon! Even socialites who beeyatch around each others back give each other air kisses when they part ways… Where did all their teenage hormones go? Oh! I forgot… Maybe it doesn’t exist in ANGSTYLAND…)

Moving on, we see Yijung’s and first love’s dragged about storyline flash on screen as Kim Bum showed the acting chops that he is soooo famous for (we get it Bummie! You can act… yes you can… no need to shout…) As Darth Mama reads the daily paper (probably to read up on how other tycoons eliminate plucky teenage girls from their sons lives…) She gets the shock of her life seeing Jandi and Junpyo on their date in the zoo accidentally caught on a documentary on TV, complete with SMILES! ( I knew it… it was the smile that did it… I bet her reaction would not have been as drastic if they showed somber expressions instead of *heaven forbid* that of enjoyment… Note to Junpyo and Jandi: KEEP YOUR SMILES TO YOURSELF... Remember Junpyo, how miserable you looked during that failed wedding? THAT IS THE EXPRESSION THAT DARTH MAMA likes… Just look at her look on you lovingly during that oh sooo happy event…)

Hahahahahaha...........Flower_pot!!!! U NEVER FAIL ME!!!

I LOVE YOUR POST!!! I hv been laughing while reading it.

Actually, I think they should renamed the drama to BOYS OVER KIMCHI :phew: cos thanks to the PD and Scriptwriters, this drama has become a typical korean drama instead of the BOF I know.

Can't wait for your new post next week!!!!! :D

New spoilers for next week have been released... Spoiler posted by ml_87, taken from Baidu is a FAKE. Don't be fooled or discourage by it. Here's the spoiler for next week (my direct translation of the spoiler insider). Enjoy!

JP's memory loss:

The man who bought the fish in ep 23 mistakes JH as JP. He tries to stab JH, and JP gets stabbed instead while trying to stop the man. The spoiler about JP getting amnesia while trying to save Kang San (JD's brother) is FAKE (this happened in the j-version). Don't believe it!

Yumi will make her appearance in the middle of ep 24 (although near the latter part). She is a total b*#*&$, but JP doesn't really respond to her. Yumi has a tendency to talk about herself in third person ("Yumi did this, Yumi did that..." - if you understand Korean, you should know what this means. Basically, it just sounds really annoying). She's not in the story for long, so don't worry too much about her.

The time jump is 4 years. Right before the time jump, there is a JD's graduation party. On that day, JP and JD also go on a date at the Namsan cable car and they kiss there...

How JP recovers his memory... is not the same as the manga where he gets hit by a baseball.

Of course, egg roll and lunchbox make their appearance, and Yumi is suspected because of these things, but the reason for the memory recovery is.. Ok, I'll give you a hint.

At Jundi's first kiss attempt (not the swing kiss, but there was an occurrence before that)... involves New Caledonia, JK's resort, JP's trauma/phobia...

And Soeul.

I too saw the Soeul's Namsan staircase photos, but something's strange.

It's so different from what's in the script. Perhaps they were filming the four year later reunion scene? In Soeul's last meeting before the 4 year time jump, there is a scene where YJ shows that he is opening up to GE. Based on this, I think we can hope for a happy ending for this couple as well.

For the 4 year time jump, it is true that the script is a blank script. The cast will get the script on the day of the shooting for the scenes that happen after the time jump. There should be about 10 scenes after the time jump. I too do not know the content of those 10 scenes yet, and I don't think I should reveal them even when I find out.

Blue_angel_1004 NOTE:

1. I suspect the memory recovery involves swimming. Since JP does not have memory of JD, he should not be able to swim. However, I think (surprise, surprise) our heroine may need to get rescued again (perhaps at JD's graduation party???) and BAM, JP instinctively swims to save her. Memory recovery complete. My guess based on the spoiler's hint. (the first kiss attempt is JD's CPR, right?)

2. Yes, JP and JD reunite first and then the time jump occurs (this is different from the "My Girl" time jump so I think people who didn't like that kind of time jump can stop worrying). Again, we don't know what they will show after the four year time jump. Wedding? Lil' JP and JDs? My guess is good as yours.

im glad people are realizing now just what a failure this drama has become, in terms of storyline, characters, production, etc.

sure it made a lot money and has good visuals, but whats the point if there's no quality?

so i read that when the drama goes to Japan, theyre going edit some of it, like the bad CG and the music...

and now korean fans are mad because its as if kbs has only practiced on Korea.

Guest myphim

After watching episode 23 and seeing JP being so dejected remind me of Shinhwa's song "Destiny of Love". Seriously this song fits his feeling so well right now. Here is a link to the song with eng sub. Check it out. It is such a good song. Maybe someone will make a fanvideo using this song.

Guest crappycaller05

i like BOF because of the good looking actors :P anybody thinks about extending this drama..not with season 2 but a movie..just like the JP version..i think they almost covered all the major things that happened in manga or in HYD and season 2 will just drag the story line..it will be boring, i think :) a movie would be better.. just guessing thou..i want BOF to end up with a wedding scene and some scenes that will happen in the future..like jp and jd having a kid :D let's enjoy the last 2 episodes..and don't worry JD and JP fans, they will end up together..they need to follow the real story or else the writer will sue them..he he he..they only bought the rights to make it as a drama and not to change the story..let's hang on there for the last 2 episodes..i also watched the arirang showbiz extra link i saw here..and lee min ho was interviewed and he said that they already shot the end in new caledonia..maybe that scene will be their honeymoon..just a wild guess B)

What the heck with time jump endings!!??

I will be glad if they show that JD and JP are together, then do a time jump (where they are finally married or something). If it is the 'sudden meeting 5 years later' kind of ending.. I will feel very very disappointed. I feel that this is a cop-out by the PD.

Guest kje_chocolate

What the heck with time jump endings!!??

I will be glad if they show that JD and JP are together, then do a time jump (where they are finally married or something). If it is the 'sudden meeting 5 years later' kind of ending.. I will feel very very disappointed. I feel that this is a cop-out by the PD.

The "time jump endings" is Jun Ki Sang PD nim's STYLE, I guest! :))

I don't know why they make Ji Hoo propose Jan Di, who is his best friend's girl. And they not even breakup yet.

Why make him as version man of Jae Kyung?

Guest flower pot

- umi appears

I swear if this is really going to be the ending of this series, i'd seriously take that rocketship i mentioned in my previous review and tie the PD and scriptwriter on it, to send them to the moon...

Gosh! I swear i'd put that scissor that Jihoo used to cut Jandi's bangs with to good use and cut someone if i get this scene 10 minutes before the close of Episode 25:

Junpyo and Jandi meet again after 5 years... Jandi is now a doctor...

Junpyo: Jandi i remember you now

Jandi smiles

Junpyo: Come, let's be together forever

Jandi: Okay, but i'll be going to Zimbabwe to find a cure for cancer... wait for me again after two years.... in the meantime how about some lip pressing by the beach?

CREDITS ROLL

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Heck! While we're at it, why not make things uber miserable for everyone involved?

- Mama Kang loses Shinhwa becomes a pauper and becomes a homeless vagrant

- Papa Kang recovers gets another stroke and dies

- Grandpa President runs for election again and gets assasinated

- Jihoo after being rejected by Jandi loses his will to live and spends days either high on dope or sleeping

- GaEul becomes cynical about love after Yijung's rejection and jumps from one loser boyfriend to another (the likes of that guy whom she dated during the skating scene) say... until she's in her 50's ... afterwhich she contracts AIDS and die...

The only one who will get a happy ending would be Woobin and Yijung as they discover that their feelings go way beyond friendship and they get married and transfer to San Francisco or Long Beach where they enjoy countless gay parades together year after year...

HOW ABOUT THAT PD and Miss Scriptwriter? SATISFIED NOW?

Guest funkindagirl

I asked KPCulture about the Yu Mi/Umi storyline...

SPOILER

Yu Mi will appear towards the end of ep. 24 or the beginning of ep. 25. She will actually indirectly help Jun Pyo and Jan Di get back together. And KP is almost positive that Jan Di and Jun Pyo will reunite right away, not a number of years down the road, i.e. it won't happen during the xxx years later segment.

Also, KPCulture said that the cast has already been given the script of the last episode but without the ending. Each cast member will get the ending to memorize THE DAY of filming in order to prevent leaks.

I love reading spoilers but I might just avoid all korean drama websites and blogs, including soompi, in the days leading up to the finale as I want to be surprised!! :)

I dont think Im going to have much of a problem with Umi being in the last 2 episodes if this is the way its going to go. I think it makes it funnier that she indirectly helps. I can imagine her trying to win over JP for herself but pushes him further to JD in the process.

And Im so glad this would all happen BEFORE the time jump so we can see JP & JD back together before the __ years later.

- umi appears

Oh no, these spoilers are muddling my head. Lol, so different to KP's ones.

I think its lovely though if JP's dad loves JD too because then Mama Kang can clearly see she's the ONLY ONE who cant see how great she is.

But I really dislike the idea of JD just going off to study while not sorting things out with JP. That makes me think she doesnt really value their love that much.

I hope the whole 5 years later thing doesnt go like these spoilers!

Guest Debbie1633

- umi appears

I don't know if I trust these spoilers. I read that none of the cast has received the script for the ending yet. They will receive it the day of filming to prevent leaks. I don't think they have started filming the ending yet so I don't know... if these spoilers were true, I would be completely pissed off!

- umi appears

*lol* That would be sooo K-Drama like. Hope the scriptwriter does better <_< .

Guest *serene*

Whatever.. i really hope that they give us the AMAZING ending this drama needs..

they have to make justice to the great cast skills and to the story.. if they will give us a "diferent ending"

i hope it will be diferent not only comparing to the other HYD versions.. but a diferent ending to all the dramas

PLEASE MR PD! PLEASE!

I think this is the biggist disappointment for me...the fact that they have a great cast. Right now I feel that all that talent has gone to waste. :(

I really do hope they have a awesome ending to give the actors some justice. I'm just worried that with just two episodes left they are not going to be able to fit all the upcoming events. I wouldn't mind if the series was extended a few more episodes. Maybe a lot of you agree??