[Drama 2008] Glass Castle / City Of Glass 유리의 성

Guest huangsy

Yes, Suk Jin's aunt, Yoon In Suk, was married to Suk Jin's uncle (his father's younger brother, who passed away but is still the love of her life). She's like a mother to Suk Jin and dislikes the way the Kim family (Joon Sung's family) operates. She is also the older sister of Yoon In Kyung (Joon Sung's mother). Yoon In Kyung seems to think (this is implied conjecture) that Kim Doo Hyung (Joon Sung's father) is still in love with her - that he was in love with her but she was in love with Suk Jin's uncle, so he settled for Joon Sung's mother instead. Yoon In Suk and Kim Doo Hyung seem to be good friends (or once were, way back when).

For more info. on the relationships and list of characters:

http://www.koreandrama.org/?p=673#more-673

Joon Sung's mother treated Suk Jin lower than dirt (and still continues to do so). When she found out that he and Joon Hee were dating, she reminded him that he was only tolerated in their family because of Moo Sung and her sister. She said he was like a dog whom they took care of and then turned around bit his owner. :ph34r: And in order to help Joon Hee move on, she tried to set Suk Jin up on an arranged marriage blind-date. Suk Jin said he would move on and marry someone.....as long as it was not someone of Yoon In Kyung's choosing.

I'm currently watching way too many dramas at the moment :blush:, so I don't know if I'll have time to do summaries, but I'll try to answer specific questions whenever I can. Perhaps, between ANNASHEE, myself, and any other Korean or Chinese speakers, we can help others enjoy the drama more. :)

And I am certainly enjoying the music, as well - especially the piano pieces. I hope there's news of the OST soon.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Annashee and hjkomo, for your explanations. Really don't mind if your summaries are not regular - anything is better than nothing to help us understand. See how desperate I am?!

Really like the drama and the actors & actresses too. Joon Sung's mum always takes on this mean-scheming- woman role - she was really horrible in Winter Bird and always screeching in Beautiful You. Haven't really seen any of the actress in the character of MinJoon but she's pretty natural and good here. Always like Kim Seung Su and Li Jin Wook. Those who didn't see this drama dunno what they miss! Can't wait for the next episode.

I guess SukJin supported JoonSung's pursuit of MinJoon (in Ep 8) although he likes her because he knows his situation - he is a widower with a kid while MinJoon is young and never been married before. So he would not be considered eligible for her in the eyes of the society and his eyes, too.

Guest ANNASHEE

Episode 7 Summary

for those desperate to watch/understand this great drama :) lets share the love!

sorry if its not very clear, i kind of had to rush

epi 8 summary will be out soon as well

Joonsung and Minjoon are eating and Minjoon tells Joonsung that whenever she is around JS she thinks about someone else (Sukjin), so he shouldn’t waste time on her but of course JS doesnt care and still pursues to get to know her better. Sukjin and Minjoon think about each other and Minjoon avoids SJ as she sees him come out of the cafeteria. Joonsung’s mom and the older brother's wife (I forget her name) take pictures with the new adopted baby Seungha, and the mother in law comes over and seems a bit disturbed but does not say more on the matter of the adopted baby. The fruit/vegetable lady lets MJ's mom borrow money b/c of the dad's credit card debt in exchange for helping her son get a job as an actor. MJ actually saw the credit card bill before and gave the dad money to pay for it, but MJ’s mom doesn’t know about and gives money to her dad. The dad feels extremely bad and gives the money MJ's mom gave him to MJ. The wife of the oldest brother realizes that the adopted baby, Seungha and her husband look very similar, and starts to get suspicious.

MJ and SJ go out for dinner (hot stew for after you get drunk) after they have a quarrel over the day before (MJ getting drunk). While their eating they kind of know each other are attracted to each other and in a way inconspicuously show that they arent going to like go any further. They decide to be good hoobee and sunbee (older coworker-younger coworker relationship). As SJ takes MJ home, SJ realizes why MJ said that it was hurtful to make a stepmom or stepdad to children while she was drunk: because she had to deal with a stepdad.

MJ finds Hyeyoung (younger sister) working at the local supermarket and HY gets in trouble with the family. The mom is really upset that HY is working instead of thinking about going to college. HY wants to be a hair stylist because she doesn't want to go to college because she's not smart enough. They start fighting/arguing and the mom yells at HY and says harsh things, HY runs off. The whole family is upset and out to look for HY.

HY goes to sauna with the fruit/vegetable woman's son, Taesoo. They bicker and TS leaves and tells HY's mom where HY is. The mom goes and finds HY, they cry, reconcile, and spend the night together at the sauna. In the morning, MJ gives the money she got from her dad, which her mom got from the vegetable lady, back to her mom so she can pay back the person she borrowed from, lying that she got a bonus from work.

JS's mom decides to meet Joohee (the mean announcer friend). They meet at SJ's aunts restaurant. JS's mom questions her and is satisfied with her. Joohee acts all nice and says she was a bit upset JS didn’t call her after the date and perhaps brings up that JS may have a girlfriend, but JS's mom assures her that's not the case. SJ's aunt comes into the room and JS's mom is annoyed of her. JH and SJ's aunt exchange greetings and JH goes back to the office and stares at MJ with a smirk and evil smile. SJ's aunt and JS's mom bicker and argue as sisters and JS's mom wants the aunt to cut ties off with SJ, and the aunt refuses.

It’s MJ's first news broadcasting at the team meeting, SJ says she's rough and blunt so she will do okay. MJ is extremely nervous but during the news show she does pretty well (except with not knowing what to do with her hands. Haha) SJ was planning on taking the team out to dinner for MJ's first broadcast but the other team members are busy so he doesn’t mention it. They both are kind of sad (and OMG they should have gone out together!!! gosh. Hahahaha)

The next day, Sulgee (SJ's daughter) comes to work with him. MJ and Sulgee exchange greetings. MJ is at the park and sees SJ teaching his daughter how to ride a bike. MJ and Sulgee seem to like each other and MJ is happy watching SJ and his daughter. Sulgee falls and MJ is there before SJ to help her.

-annashee

Thanks, Annashee, for the summary. It really helps me understand the episode better. Hope you'll do this as often as your time allows - deeply appreciated by the desperate one ( :rolleyes:)

Guest ANNASHEE

Episode 8 Summary

for those desperate to watch/understand this great drama :) lets share the love!

SJ and MJ happily watch Sulgee riding her bike. MJ mentions that Sulgee is pretty so she must look like her mom b/c SJ is ugly. MJ asks why SJ hasn’t remarried or asked Sulgee about having a stepmom, SJ replies that he’s scared Sulgee won’t like it, and only wants Sulgee to be happy. Sulgee comes over saying shes thirsty and while SJ gets her a drink, Sulgee asks MJ if MJ and her dad are close. MJ says no and that her dad is really scary and always yells at her. Sulgee tells her dad not to punish MJ anymore and SJ promises. They both seem to take joy in looking at Sulgee have fun.

JS tells his mom that he has a girlfriend MJ, and MJ just so happens to be on TV and says he will think about engaging or marrying her. JS lies that him and MJ have been dating for a year. The mom is shocked and worried and wants to see her immediately. JS refuses and says only when MJ is ready.

Hyeyoung and the family decides that she’s going to go to hairstyling school. HY makes soojaebee for the brother and MJ. JS calls MJ out for a date, and they go to the park to ride bikes/ride boat, etc. JS gets them matching couple hats.

Sulgee and SJ’s aunt are making lunch and Sulgee tells the aunt about MJ and the aunt is suspecting that something is going on between MJ and SJ. She realizes that MJ was the one he brought to her restaurant, played with Sulgee, was going to take the team out after her first broadcasting, etc and seems to be happy he finally is looking at other women. The aunt tells SJ that JS had an arranged dating with Joohee, his co anchor. JS’s mom calls SJ to have tea so she can find out about MJ.

During the tea, JS’s mom asks if MJ is right for the family because SJ would know best because of Joonhee her daughter (this is when we find out about Joonhee and SJ’s past). SJ says MJ is a great person but is probably not close to her family’s standard. Here we find out the bitter past with Joonhee and SJ as SJ is recalling memories of JS’s mom forcing Joonhee and him to breakup. SJ remembers JS’s mom telling him that he was like a cute dog in their house that they took care of until he bit them.

The eldest son and the wife (sorry I don’t remember their names!!), with the adopted baby go out to the park for a stroll. They chat and realize have struggles in their own in that they realize people see them as a happy family but in truth its masked with hurt and being lost. The wife again mentions that the baby and him look so alike and the husband seems uncomfortable, ( we know he really is the baby’s father)

MJ comes back from her date and the vegetable lady finds out that MJ’s mom didn’t talk to MJ about Taesoo and his acting career. MJ’s family decides to go out to the Noraebang (karoke) and have lots of fun. MJ’s mom cries just seeing her kids and she’s happy.

JS and SJ meet for a drink. JS apologizes for his mother’s rude actions. SJ is worried for MJ and tells him that JS will end up hurting her. JS tells SJ that SJ and Joonhee were a good couple and he realized that seeing them he wanted a marriage with someone he loved. JS questions SJ’s real concern for MJ. SJ tells JS that a blessed marriage will make both people hurt in the end. JS tells SJ that he wants to protect MJ because he’s falling in love with her as she’s comfortable and honest person. SJ says he doesn’t want to see MJ have to go through so much pain and obstacles with JS’s family. JS says that he’s going to fight himself and not make her worry as long as she accepts him.

While getting ready for bed, JS’s parents seem worried for JS and about his girlfriend. Especially, the mom. Sukjin comes home and the aunt wants to know what JS’s mom said. SJ lies that its not much and tells her that JS has another person in mind rather than what JS’s parents want. The aunt sighs and says that whomever that person would be, the poor girl would be hurt and wasted. JS and SJ are both in deep thought throughout the night about each others words.

The next day, SJ ignores MJ’s greeting and MJ is upset and wonders if she did anything wrong. She says she’s going to be a good young coworker and he asks to go out to lunch because he has something to tell her. She’s kind of busy and doesn’t know when she’s off but she wants to eat with him, obviously, and asks for his number so she can call him after she’s finished. While driving, she accidently calls SJ and embarassingly she says sorry after his smart remark that she doesn’t need to report her entire schedule to him.

JS’s mom is on the phone and asks someone to find out everything about MJ, from her family, education, siblings, etc. and it ends!

Sorry if its so confusing, the scene changes so quickly because so many things are happening at the same time!!

**Just a note: Don't get confused with Joonhee who is Sukjin's ex girlfiend and Joonsung's sister (She hasn't appeared yet, only referenced) with Joohee, co anchor with Sukjin and mean friend of Minjoon. They're different people, i realized i forgot the n in joonhee above. sorry :)

-annashee

Thanks Annashee. Your summary is very clear and not confusing at all. It really increases my enjoyment of the drama. You are a real blessing - no kidding! Thanks again for taking time out to give us this summary - luv u.

Guest hjkomo

^^ Thank you ANNASHEE. :D

Some excerpts of the mirrored feelings between Min Joo and Suk Jin:

Ep. 5 -

Suk Jin tells his aunt that he, sometimes, thinks that he could fall in love again....his mind isn't ready to, but his heart moves of its own accord.

Ep. 6 -

A drunken Min Joo denies liking Suk Jin. He puts her in a bad mood, and he's ill-tempered. She could forgive him for being too old, ugly, or poor...but she can't forgive him for failing his first marriage - because she knows how painful it is for a child to have a stepparent. She vows never to like a person like him.

Ep. 7 -

At the restaurant Suk Jin says he couldn't like a younger women, especially one that's more than 10 years younger because he wouldn't like to be called a cradle robber. But worse than that, is that he couldn't like someone so inexperienced/naive. A naive woman has too many fantasies and illusions about love, and there are too many things to teach her.

Min Joo asks, "Teach what things?"

Suk Jin replies - Do you know how to kiss? Have you slept with a man?

Min Joo's jaw drops in shock. :lol:

He tells her to wake up from her illusion. She'll thank him for it later.

Min Joo says he needn't be afraid (that she would like him)...because she needs courage (which she doesn't have) to like someone. She's afraid her heart will move (to love) of it's own accord.

Suk Jin pretends like her words don't affect him.

Suk Jin, on his way home, says to himself in the car - "I'm afraid, too."

Thanks hjkomo. With the help from you and ANNASHEE, I will be able to get quite a good picture of what's happening. Actually I'm taking elementary Korean lessons but they speak so fast that it's all a blur to me. With kind souls like you and ANNASHEE, I pretty know what's happening. Will go back to the previous episodes again and piece together the pieces.

does anyone have anymore of the city of glass??? i can't find any other sites with the episodes on them :unsure:

You could find the raw avi (Moohan version, 720p and 450p) from CB

http://www.boxfile.co.kr/search.php?qstr=%...26%BC%BA+moohan

http://www.boxfile.co.kr/search.php?qstr=c...of+glass+moohan

Ental version

http://www.boxfile.co.kr/search.php?qstr=%...C7+%BC%BA+ental

or you could go to Aigoo for Ental version in MU links

http://www.omo-omo.com/city-of-glass/

Thanks hjkomo. With the help from you and ANNASHEE, I will be able to get quite a good picture of what's happening. With kind souls like you and ANNASHEE, I pretty know what's happening

thanks to all who want to help us watch and understand the drama

a big hug for you guys :rolleyes:

one more thing, someone here said KSS is the lead man here, are you guys sure about this

I don't think LJW will act as a seconde man after he was the lead man in PO and B&A

Guest hjkomo

one more thing, someone here said KSS is the lead man here, are you guys sure about this

I don't think LJW will act as a seconde man after he was the lead man in PO and B&A

Yes, it's very clear from all the synopses, character descriptions, and the first 9 episodes that KSS is the lead male. His character, Suk Jin, is the link between the supporting characters and backstory (aside from Min Joo's family) - his history with the Kim family provides the basis for how the current and future relationships develop.

As for LJW, he was the lead in B&A and co-lead with Kim Min Joon in Someday. PO is another story. If you read the script, you'll understand more about the sudden change to an open ending, but I'd rather not get into that debate here in this thread. ;)

I do wish that LJW would choose better roles, though. Joon Sung's selfishness is getting tiresome and irritating already. :rolleyes:

Just finished watching Ep 10 - seems to have a lot going on in this episode but can't figure out what they are. Hopefully some one will have the time to answer some of my questions:

- why was Joon Sung so upset after talking to his mother and what did he say to SukJin?

- who were the 2 ladies that visited Joon Sung in his office?

- what transpired between JS and his father at the beginning of the ep?

- what did JS's father told his wife re the situation with JS?

Think MinJoon was upset with SukJin for his coldness towards her. She must ahev feelings for him and I think his daughter was asking about MinJoon, too!

Guest hjkomo

mari, I haven't had a chance to watch Ep. 10 yet - been so busy with too many good dramas. :blush:

I'll be back with info. after I've watched it.

But, yeah, Ep. 9 was too sad (for Suk Jin). :tears:

Hi hjkomo, now you've aroused my curiousity. Why was it sad for SukJin? Must have missed something important there in Ep 9. Thought got the gist in Ep 9 - obviously not!!! (sigh)

Yes, it's very clear from all the synopses, character descriptions, and the first 9 episodes that KSS is the lead male. His character, Suk Jin, is the link between the supporting characters and backstory (aside from Min Joo's family) - his history with the Kim family provides the basis for how the current and future relationships develop.

As for LJW, he was the lead in B&A and co-lead with Kim Min Joon in Someday. PO is another story. If you read the script, you'll understand more about the sudden change to an open ending, but I'd rather not get into that debate here in this thread. ;)

I do wish that LJW would choose better roles, though. Joon Sung's selfishness is getting tiresome and irritating already. :rolleyes:

you say JS is selfish :blink:

but the articles about COG said he has a generous heart, even LJW said in an interview the character is about a great guy who truly stands out :blink:

I really can't get this :wacko:

furthermore, I agree the synopses shows that MJ will end up with KSS, but maybe after divorce she will realise that LJW is the one she loves and ends up with him (I hope so :rolleyes: )

Q: whose name comes first in the credits LJW or KSS?

Archived