[movie 2000] Il Mare 시월애 (時越愛)

soymilk

Guest swtamy83

This movie was alright. Wasn't all that great to me....

I have one question though. At the end, they showed her moving out of the house again and that guy was the one that moved the stuff for her and he was like I'm gonna tell u an interesting story or sumthing like that. I don't get it!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake House based on "Il Mare"

Theatrical Release Date: Feb 3, 2006 (Wide)

Directed by: Alejandro Agresti

Cast: Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Christopher Plummer, Lynn Collins

keanu_reeves1.jpg

Synopsis:

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves star in this time-bending romantic drama from director Alejandro Agresti ("Valentin") and writer David Auburn ("Proof"), based on a Korean drama called "Il Mare." She's a doctor, he's an architect, and they live in the same house... only not at the same time. Fortunately they have access to a mystical mailbox that delivers their love letters across the sands of time. Or something.

credits: Yahoo Movies and rottentomatoes

The Lake House Premiere postponed

The premiere of The Lake House a.k.a. Il Mare starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves has been moved in the summer on June 16th, 2006.

Synopsis:

IN THEATERS JUNE 16, 2006 Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves play a doctor and architect, respectively, who find romance through time travel, in this romantic drama directed by Alejandro Agresti (VALENTIN).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lake_house/

I found lots of other articles saying that it's been moved from feb. 3 to june 16 ...

I have one question though. At the end, they showed her moving out of the house again and that guy was the one that moved the stuff for her and he was like I'm gonna tell u an interesting story or sumthing like that. I don't get it!

He says that because that part is actually before she puts the Christmas card in the letterbox which is what initiated their whole letter exchange thing. So he already knows what's happening because two years has passed for him into her time but she doesn't which is why he says that.

I think one of the great things about the movie was that they didn't have many scenes together but you could still see the emotion flow through each of faces and their letters to each other. The setting by the sea was beautiful. Even though I'd already watched once, I watched it again today and when he gets run over, I was devastated. Great movie, very emotional without being sappy and overrun with all that sentimental bullsh*t.

oh i loved the film and i'm so excited to c the american version. i really hope they don't change a lot or u know, f it up.

pics of "The Lake House"

ilmarelakehouse22mu.jpg

ilmarelakehouse30in.jpg

ilmarelakehouse45su.jpg

so far production's looking pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mal3ficum

i wanna watch this (i've sed this in many threads here today -.-) i'm just afraid i'll get confused T-T i think you can get subtitles at www.d-addicts.com in the subtitles forum or something.

Guest luckyyou

The cinematography was really beautiful. I loved the scene where the guy releases the fish she bought for him into the sea and how the sea meets up with the stairs.

This is a beautiful movie. I hope the American remake doesn't ruin it. I already don't like the people they casted. They are too mainstream and I can't imagine Sandra Bullocks playing Jeon Ji Hyun's part. Her face doesn't suit the part. I think someone soft looking would suit it better.

When you think about the movie it's confusing, but it's totally understandable. This is much better thatn Ditto. :P

yea... i agree, the cinematography was beautiful.. but could someone elaborate on the ending?

i seriously got confused... :unsure:

Basically the entire letter exchanging thing did happen because you find out at the end that hte guy in fact didn't die. Which means he did receive Jeon Ji Hyun's letter and didn't go to the cafe to stop her boyfriend from leaving or the girl from going to the US. So he didn't die, which changes the whole story. When Jeon Ji Hyun is leaving Il Mare, that's similar to the starting scene of hte movie. Instead of leaving the Christmas card and having hte taxi man take her bags, the guy who lived in Il Mare before comes to Il Mare to explain the entire story. She doesn't know anything about the letter exchange because in her world that never happened. It's confusing, but just think about it and you'll get it.

Guest precious04

Basically the entire letter exchanging thing did happen because you find out at the end that hte guy in fact didn't die. Which means he did receive Jeon Ji Hyun's letter and didn't go to the cafe to stop her boyfriend from leaving or the girl from going to the US. So he didn't die, which changes the whole story. When Jeon Ji Hyun is leaving Il Mare, that's similar to the starting scene of hte movie. Instead of leaving the Christmas card and having hte taxi man take her bags, the guy who lived in Il Mare before comes to Il Mare to explain the entire story. She doesn't know anything about the letter exchange because in her world that never happened. It's confusing, but just think about it and you'll get it.

i just finished the film and could someone please clear up some things about the ending for me please.

why was she moving in the first place? and from what i understand from what luckyyou is saying that since the letter did get to him then the whole movie up until the end did happen to him but didn't happen to her? and what of the house that he was building for her? i am soooo confused. i would reeallly reallly appreciate it if someone(s) would elaborate on it.

thanks so very very much.

:):P:D

yea... i agree, the cinematography was beautiful.. but could someone elaborate on the ending?

i seriously got confused... :unsure:

Yes, it can be a very confusing movie! I just got around to watching this film myself based on friends' recommendations and I'm glad that I finally did. luckyyou gave a pretty good explanation already, so I thought I'd just expound even more on her thoughts and add a few of my own (*SPOILER ALERT* - if you haven't watched this film, read no further):

If you've only seen the movie once and it left you a little bewildered, watching it a second time with a different perspective definitely helps. When you do, always keep it in mind that the story is told with Kim Eun Joo's timeline of late December 1999 through late March 2000 as being the true storytelling timeline. Furthermore, also keep in mind that as the movie begins, Han Seung Hyun is already dead. This plot point is pivotal in making this story work. Because Seung Hyun dies in the past, the event consequently translates into the 'Il Mare' house being vacant for Eun Joo to move into in the first place. (And on a side note, this also explains how Eun Joo came to adopt the little dog Cola - given that he was left abandoned in the home as a result of Seung Hyun's untimely death.) In any event, at the point in time where the movie actually starts, it is late December 1999 and Eun Joo is moving from 'Il Mare' into the city, where her radio voice work is. Seung Hyun is ALREADY dead and HAS to remain dead in order for the Eun Joo 2000 timeline to exist in the first place.

Of course, the whole 'magic' of the movie revolves around that mailbox in which our two protagonists exchange letters defying the limits of time. I won't go over the details of these plot points, as I'm sure we are all familiar with the happy events and how their friendship grows. But again, I reiterate that the actual timeline of events is set during Eun Joo's time. EVERTHING that occurs whenever Seung Hyun appears on screen has already transpired. I guess the best way to re-watch this film is to treat all of Seung Hyun's scenes with the perspective that these are actual flashbacks - NOT something that is simultaneously happening during Eun Joo's time - which is typically the source of confusion.

So now to my personal interpretation of the ending:

The first thing that you have to reconcile in your mind is that the movie deals with TWO SEPARATE timelines:

1. Eun Joo's timeline from DEC 1999 thru MAR 2000 (the timeline the movie actually follows), and

2. Seung Hyun's timeline from DEC 1997 thru MAR 1998 (flashbacks to past events that have ALREADY happened)

Once the viewer realizes that these two timelines are entirely separate entities, the easier it is to understand the story. Think of it as a tree. The trunk is the SHARED past between the two people from DEC 1997 to MAR 1998. The place where the two timelines "branch off" is the incident at Youido. In one timeline, Seung Hyun dies and from that point Eun Joo's timeline branches off. It is along this branch where we actually follow the movie's plot. But in Seung Hyun's timeline, he does not die - and analogously, this is represented by another, separate branch. However, from a storytelling perspective, his timeline branch is not as long. This is because the future from Seung Hyun's perspective has yet to be told. Hence, we as an audience only know his story to the extent of that pivotal alternate ending. But in terms of the "connection" between the two timelines from the story-telling standpoint, we find this in the scene in which Eun Joo writes the first letter and moves out of Il Mare. In her timeline, this scene (as portrayed at the beginning of the film) is essentially the beginning of HER story. But in Seung Hyun's timeline, this same exact scene is the end of HIS story (as portrayed at the end of the film).

With this in mind, you can now fully comprehend what happens to the year 2000 Eun Joo in the movie's current storytelling timeline. In her world, unbeknownst to her, Seung Hyun IS dead and it is an inescapable fact in that timeline. The Eun Joo of the 2000 timeline has to come to grips in the end with the fact that her letter WILL NOT reach Seung Hyun and he indeed has to die. Think about that. Although she sent the warning letter, he CANNOT have received it because if he had AND lived, the events of Eun Joo's timeline from 12/99 to 3/2000 - the story we just saw unfold throughout the movie - could NOT have happened. There would surely be an anomaly in that storytelling timeline should Seung Hyun get that letter and avoided death. The most glaring inconsistency would be that were he alive, he might not have ever moved out of 'Il Mare' ...and resultingly, Eun Joo would never have moved in, written that original letter upon her eventual moving out, and then setting the events for this timeline in motion. So in this timeline of the year 2000 Eun Joo, the death of Seung Hyun is a NECESSARY event in order for them to eventually meet each other through their letters. (When you think about it, even the theme song of the movie indicates that they have to 'say goodbye' in order for them to meet). Hence, from Eun Joo's perspective in her timeline, she would have come to the realization that her letter never made it to Seung Hyun. In her world, life would continue on from that time forward, now having lost out in love with both her ex-boyfriend Ji Hoon AND with Seung Hyun. To me, this is the "bitter" part of the "bittersweet" ending: The Eun Joo of the year 2000 suffers a double tragedy.

But by the same token, there is also a more optimistic and triumphant perspective to the ending as represented in the final scene of the movie. The "sweet" part of the "bittersweet", if you will. In that memorable ending scene - where Eun Joo's moving out of 'Il Mare' is replayed again - an alive and kicking Seung Hyun appears, dramatically meeting her for the first time. Again, just to reiterate - what might help in understanding this final scene is to realize that the replay of this alternate beginning is no longer the movie telling the story from Eun Joo's year 2000 timeline - but from Seung Hyun's timeline from December 1997 up to that point. In HIS world he indeed gets the warning letter from Eun Joo and he was able to take measures not to suffer the fate as portrayed in Eun Joo's 2000 timeline. He never goes to the diner in Youido and tragically get hit by the car. So now, when taking this into context and with the full realization that this alternate scene is representative of the "end" part of Seung Hyun's timeline from his perspective, we can see where the "wrinkle in time" phenomenon occurs. In this pivotal moment of BOTH their timelines, we can see how the original beginning was a foreshadowing of the tragedy that would befall Eun Joo, whereas the alternate beginning is indicative of the end of Seung Hyun's journey towards finally meeting Eun Joo - and the implied hope for a blossoming romance with his beloved in his as yet unmapped future.

Because it is a prelude to a future of uncharted events, it is in this alternate Seung Hyun ending where we as the audience can make up our own mind as to what will happen next. And to me, this is what I find so powerful about this film. Not only does it suck us in with its compelling story of two time-crossed lovers, but it leaves it up to our imagination as to how we would like for their story to ultimately end. When you think about it, it is a beautifully challenging concept.

------------------------

The following are just some more additional thoughts in regards to specific aspects of the story:

This is only my own personal opinion (I'm sure there are many that have vastly different and great takes on this), but I think the fact that Eun Joo sent Seung Hyun a final warning letter stating not to 'go there' and 'don't die' - he was able to put two and two together and figure out that the Eun Joo from the future realized that he had died. Hence, with respect toher actual timeline, Seung Hyun realized he was already dead and she would not be sending or expecting to receive letters back from him. This realization is further solidified during that ending sequence where a brief narration by Seung Hyun (roughly) confirms: "By the fact that I'm not beside you in 2 years, we might not have a connection to the past". Seung Hyun realizes during HIS timeline that he needs to have died in Eun Joo's world in the year 2000 and he cannot communicate back that he is actually alright and very much alive. To do so would ruin HER timeline and the chain of events that fostered the chance that they would eventually "meet" through letters.

There was one plot question that I've pondered, and it was this: if Seung Hyun indeed survived in his timeline - why would he wait until the precise moment when Eun Joo moves out of Il Mare to make his dramatic appearance? Considering the fact that he cheated death in late March 1998, he had over a year and a half to seek out Eun Joo before she moved out of Il Mare in late December 1999.

My take? Based on the letters that he received from the Eun Joo of 2000, he knew that his death would be the reason for Il Mare being vacant. Hence, Seung Hyun would have decided to willfully move out so as to ensure the timeline where Eun Joo moves into the house and keep the chain of events as intact as possible. Now, given the fact that in his timeline Seung Hyun would still retain ALL the letters sent to him from the future Eun Joo, he would just have to bide his time UNTIL that specific event where Eun Joo writes the the first letter to make his appearance. If you think about it, his ability to tell his "long story" to her would have that much more validity in Eun Joo's eyes because he would have his "copy" of the first letter - and she would have in her hand that same letter just prior to putting it into the mailbox. If Seung Hyun had made his existence known to her PRIOR to the existence of that first letter from her perspective, Eun Joo might not fully believe the "long story" that he has to tell.

Anyway, these are my comprehensive takes on the movie.

The original start of the movie was the representation of the "beginning of the end" as Eun Joo's subsequent experiences would indicate. In her timeline, not only did she lose her boyfriend Ji Hoon but also the promise of a blossoming relationship with Seung Hyun. Therein lies the real tragic half of this love story.

But in the "alternate beginning" at the end of the movie, we now see instead the fruition of Seung Hyun's timeline with the meeting of Eun Joo and the "promise of a new beginning" with her. Whilst he was unable to save Eun Joo from the pain of breaking up with her boyfriend - he can now step in at this point in time to be a part of her life and spare her another 3 months of heartache and grief that she would suffer waiting for her old BF to come back to her.

(BTW: check out how accurate the subtlety in details were with the two beginning scenes. In the first scene, Eun Joo leaves out a box for the taxi driver to carry back for her. Cola the dog follows her out - but ignores the taxi driver and he continues running down the boardwalk. But in the alternate ending, after the box is put down, it is Seung Hyun - not the driver - that approaches the house. And note how Cola again scampers out of the house and down the boardwalk - but this time, the dog STOPS for Seung Hyun so that he can pick him up. Of course, because he recognizes his FIRST owner!)

^ excellent interpretation/summary

although i feel sad for Eun Joo's timeline where she's without him :[

i just recently saw My Sassy Girl and decided to watch this and man I am falling in love with JJH more and more! she's great. going to watch windstruck soon as well.. have heard alot about it in comparisons with MSG but i heard they're completely unrelated so hopefully it'll be a good movie by itself

and i noticed in The Lake House, it shows keanu and sandra together (looks like they're romantically involved from the picture. not like a first time meeting like in Il Mare at the end).. i wonder if that'll happen for real in the movie.. and also the ads for Il Mare show the two characters physically together..

Eli, that's an excellent interpretation of Il Mare, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It does clear up some of the iffy bits and the double-ending (so to speak), especially when you pointed out that from Eun Joo's timeline, Seung Hyun was already dead.

Now you make me want to watch the film again, just to appreciate subtleties I might have missed out the first time round!

Guest HERMIT

Eli, that's an excellent interpretation of Il Mare, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It does clear up some of the iffy bits and the double-ending (so to speak), especially when you pointed out that from Eun Joo's timeline, Seung Hyun was already dead.

Now you make me want to watch the film again, just to appreciate subtleties I might have missed out the first time round!

I like these kinds of movies where the notion of time travel/'wrinkles' in time is involved. They always make for great after-movie discussions. Another movie reminiscent of this is the 1980 sleeper "Somewhere In Time" with the late Christopher Reeve. If you enjoyed Il Mare, you probably will like this one too.

• 2 weeks later...

its funny coz i was confused in the start of the movie and not in the end.. hahaha.. but i understood them both now.. hahaha.. its just sad that JJH doesnt know anything about the guy.. loved the movie.. so many qoutes that are mwaningful.. a soulfull movie.. great!! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest litoxshortaii

ah i js finished watching this movie and i absolutely loved it! it was so sweet and the fact that it was so simple makes it such a good movie. the scenery was gorgeous too.

i doubt the american remake is gonna be half as good =T

Archived