Jeon Ji Hyun 전지현 - Upcoming Drama : Polaris

hongchae1

Guest dpr15

xilikemangos said: queeniet said: LOL it's weird but i heard she said somewhere in an interview that she didn't intend to be that mystery. so she is very aware of the fact that she's a mystery kind of actress.i think she just keep her life very private. her husband grandma said that she's very quiet and seem lonely at times because she don't go out much and study during her spare time. but i think she changed a lot after she's married, she's a lot more confident in interviews and take more projects and appear in the public more than usual. let's hope after this drama success, she will appear in more show. i just love her so much , is it too much to ask for moarrr of her?

class="entry-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; clear: both;"Got the news in Chinese (see below for Chinese version and Korean version), while waiting for an English version to be out, I have translated the Chinese version into English.Translated title: Oh Sang-Jin (The Prosecutor in the Drama): “The wrap up party was the first time I met Jun Ji Hyun.  She roasted pork with her own hands.”(11 March 2014)

Oh Sang-Jin (The Prosecutor in the Drama) during the interview at a radio programme (broadcast on 10 March 2014) was asked:-

Q: how do you feel when you meet jun ji hyun in reality?

A: actually I only saw her once only at the wrap up party.  The TV series is a 21-episode one, I knew I may not be able to see her even until the end when it reached ep 15:((.  Actually there was chance that I could meet her, but that was the scene that I was hospitalized, so I couldn’t meet her.  Another time is that she has to go to Hong Kong so she has to shoot alone.  So I couldn’t meet her.  Wrap up party was the first time I saw her.:((

Q: Did she roast pork? I feel like her manager would do it for her. 

A: She roasted it herself.  She is in particular good at roasting streaky pork.

He also expressed that JJH’s personality is very frank.

class="entry-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; clear: both;"吴尚镇:“在<星你>庆功宴首次见到全智贤,还亲手烤肉”
By 韩流台 | 2014/03/11
(http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2014031115042839861)

오상진, "전지현 '별그대' 종방연 때 처음 봤다"
머니투데이 스타일M 박경란 기자 |입력 : 2014.03.11 15:43
(http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2014031115042839861)

March 11, 2014
(News Focus) Soap reignites Korean culture boom in China
Source: YonhapNews
SEOUL, March 11 (Yonhap) -- A South Korean fantasy-romance soap opera has became a runaway hit in China, reigniting the Korean pop culture boom known as "hallyu" in the world's most populous country.
Broadcast by commercial station SBS TV between mid-December and late February, the soap "My Love from the Star," which enjoyed an audience rating of some 30 percent in South Korea, depicts the love between an alien from outer space and an A-list actress.
The hit drama series instantly appealed to Chinese viewers, with starring actor Kim Soo-hyun and heroine Jun Ji-hyun becoming household names among young Chinese viewers.
Although the drama has never been broadcast on China's major television networks, the 21-episode series has recently topped 3 billion views in total on the country's major Internet sites that show old TV episodes.
"When we include the number of views counted on smaller sites that bought the drama from its local distributor, the number is expected to be well over 3 billion," an official of HB Entertainment, which produced the drama, told Yonhap News Agency.
"More viewers will be able to enjoy the show if it goes on air on various television networks in the future."
   Experts say the soap opera has helped rekindle the popularity of hallyu in China as it came at a time when the enormous craze generated by "Gangnam Style" by South Korean rapper Psy and his horse-riding dance moves had been fading there.
"I think the emergence of fresh stars like Kim at just the right time when generational shift of hallyu stars is needed was an important factor behind the latest boom," said Ha Jae-bong, a pop cultural critic.
Hallyu in China began in the late 1990s with the popularity of Korean soap operas, peaking with the arrivals of other TV dramas "Winter Sonata" and "Daejanggeum (Jewel in the Palace)" in 2002 and 2003. However, Korean dramas have lost much of their popularity in China and other Asian countries in the past decade.
AEN20140311002700315_01_i.jpg
South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun (L) and actress Jun Ji-hyun ®, who star in the new drama "My Love from the Star," pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Dec. 16, 2013. (Yonhap)
South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun (L) and actress Jun Ji-hyun ®, who star in the new drama "My Love from the Star," pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Dec. 16, 2013. (Yonhap)Proving the popularity of "My Love from the Star," a television station in Nanjing in China's Jiangsu Province invited Kim to appear in a popular entertainment program. It reportedly offered Kim a chartered flight and 521 million won (US$489,477) in appearance fees.
To effectively protect Kim from possible attacks, the TV station toughened security to its highest-ever level a few hours before he showed up at the studio Saturday.
Audiences were banned from bringing bags or cameras, as well as liquid, and ordered to sit down in designated seats with their name cards on their chest.
An admission ticket to the TV studio were sold at prices up to 5.2 million won as fans were desperate to get a chance to see him in close proximity, according to Chinese media.
The drama's popularity has gone well beyond a pop culture phenomenon.
Since the female lead Jun mentioned that "fried chicken and beer is a good match for a snowy day" in one episode, fried-chicken-and-beer sets have been selling like hotcakes in China.
According to prominent Hong Kong newspaper Ming Pao, a Japanese sushi restaurant in Hangzhou sold thousands of fried-chicken-and-beer sets a day during the week of Valentine's Day, instead of sushi. The menu was even included in the Valentine's Day party package by InterContinental Hangzhou.
At some Korean fried chicken stores in Shanghai, people had to wait at least three hours in line to buy one.
The newspaper also reported that a devoted female fan of the drama in Changsha of Hunan Province ate fried chicken for eight meals in a row.
In addition, Korean fashion items and accessories worn by Jun have been sold out while plastic surgery clinics say they see more and more people asking to make their faces to resemble Jun and other popular Korean stars.
The drama's soundtrack is no exception from the China-wide craze for the show. South Korean pop singer LYn, who sang "My Destiny," the show's theme song, was invited to perform during a Chinese music awards show on March 27.
It is very rare for a Korean ballad singer, not an idol group, to get such attention abroad for a drama soundtrack.
Korean soap operas also emerged as a topic in an annual Chinese political event.
"Korean dramas are ahead of ours," Wang Qishan, one of China's top Communist Party leaders, said during a legislative session in Beijing, according to Beijing News. "The core and soul of Korean operas is a distillation of traditional culture."
   Wang is a Politburo member of the Chinese Communist Party and head of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.
"My Love from the Star" was not alone in the recently rekindled boom of Korean pop culture.
Several Korean television shows such as "Where Are We Going, Dad?" "I am a Singer" "Superstar K" and "Hidden Singer" made big hits among Chinese viewers in recent months after Chinese networks produced their renditions of the shows.
"The Heirs," an SBS TV drama, has garnered more than 900 million views since its episodes began to be uploaded on Youku, China's biggest web streaming video service, last October.
Thanks to the drama's popularity, the passenger terminal of Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport in China was jam-packed Friday with thousands of Chinese fans who came to see the drama's lead actor Lee Min-ho when he visited the city to appear on a TV show. A woman was pushed by the crowd and suffered a head injury, according to Chinese media.
Regarding "My Love from the Star," critics point to attractiveness of the drama's stars and the characters as a secret behind its success.
"A considerably large part of the drama's fun comes from its actors and actresses," Hang Jin-mi, a critic, said in a recent newspaper column.
Jun embodies the arrogant but quirky top star Cheon Song-i as she incorporates her own image fostered through her previous works, Hwang said. Jun has played characters who are at once vivacious, sexy and friendly, the critic said. The lead actor, Kim, depicted a serious but warm-hearted extraterrestrial being from some four centuries ago in the best way he can, she added.
She also attributed the show's success to a combination of diverse genres such as fantasy, romantic comedy, period drama and thriller, an unfamiliar mix for Chinese viewers.
Some other critics say Korean TV shows, even though they are well made, would not have gained so much popularity in China without the presence of Internet as a distribution channel.
"'My Love' and 'The Heirs' succeeded in large part due to the power of Internet as a distribution channel," said Jeong Deok-hyeon, one of the critics. "Internet has strong power of influence and explosiveness and are relatively free from government censorship."

March 10, 2014
[Newsmaker] ‘My Love’ signals K-drama revival
By Lee Sun-young The Korea Herald

In China, Korean TV drama “My Love from the Star” seems to have stirred up a syndrome that stands strong even amid a series of national tragedies ― a terrorist attack that left 33 people dead and a flight gone missing with another 152 of its nationals aboard.
Kim Soo-hyun, the male lead in the drama, has become the heartthrob of Chinese girls. In the series, he played Do Min-jun, an alien in the form of a perfect male specimen who falls in love with an arrogant A-list actress played by Jun Ji-hyun. 
The demigod’s appearance on a Chinese TV program last weekend evoked an explosive response, with illegal tickets sold for up to 30,000 yuan ($4,900), Chinese media reported. It is said Kim took home a whopping 3 million yuan for that appearance. 
20140310001132_0.jpg
Kim Soo-hyun (left) and Jun Ji-hyun are protagonists of the recently-ended TV drama “My Love from the Star.” (Yonhap News)
Any Korean products featured on the drama became mega-sellers. After Jun mentioned fried chicken and beer, a combination called “chi-maek” in Korean that many people here love to have on Fridays and during casual evening gatherings, Korean chicken joints in China saw local customers line up for as long as two hours to order. 
Korean instant noodle maker Nongshim said sales in January and February ― while the drama aired ― rose to a record in its more than 15-year history of business in the country. This, too, is attributed to a scene in the drama where the couple enjoyed a bowl of noodles on a trip. 
Meshing comedy, suspense, sci-fi and romance, “My Love” aired on SBS TV, one of Korea’s three major TV networks, from Dec. 18, 2013, to Feb. 28, 2014. It was the most-watched program of its time slot, with a rating of 28.1 percent. In China, its episodes saw more than a combined 2.5 billion views online.
Though not as popular as “My Love,” some other Korean programs scored big among Chinese viewers in recent months. They include TV drama “The Heirs” and reality show “Where Are We Going, Dad?” The latter was a format sale to China, in which Chinese producers recreated their own show based on the Korean format. 
“The sale of Korean TV dramas to China has been sluggish for the past few years, compared to its peak years, but there seems to be a new opportunity opening up now which is the format business,” said Yoon Jae-shik, a hallyu researcher at the state-run Korea Creative Content Agency. 
Be it in the form of an end-product sale or just a format sale, many officials in Korea hope that the series of Korean programs’ successes leads to a resurgence of the Korean Wave, or hallyu, which swept the country in the early 2000s. Hallyu started with a string of successful soap operas, which were followed by movies and pop music. 
To find ways to create a second hallyu, government officials, culture professionals and academics have been holding forums, policy meetings and other events in past years. Such efforts have doubled under President Park Geun-hye’s drive to nurture creative industries to jump-start economic growth. 
The success of “My Love” and others may be a sign that their efforts are working. Or it might be just a coincidence. What looks clear is that Korea needs a second or third “My Love” to carry the momentum into the second Korean Wave. 

[shanghai Daily]

South Korean TV dramas create a lifestyle frenzy

By Li Xinran | March 10, 2014, Monday | icon_PE.png PRINT EDITION

THE final episode of the South Korean TV drama “My Love from the Star” was aired in China on the last day of February, showcasing the luxurious lifestyle that has earned it a frenzied following among young Chinese fans. They want more of the same.

The show is an absurd tale of an alien with superpowers whose spaceship crashed 400 years ago. He has become a distinguished university professor and has fallen in love with a mortal woman, a famous actress.

After lead actress Jun Ji-hyun (who played Cheon Song-yi) stated in the show, “How can I celebrate the year’s first snowfall without fried chicken and beer?” There was a rush by young Chinese to Korean communities to share the ambience praised by their idol.

And the chicken-and-beer junk food pairing has achieved an almost sanctified status among viewers.

In Shanghai, I used to enjoy a quiet cup of coffee in the afternoon on small narrow Hongquan Road in the Korean community, which is not far away from my apartment. Today that area in Minhang District is filled with hundreds of young people, including many couples, who wait in line before Korean restaurants on both sides of the street. They want fried chicken and beer.

One day I joined the line and attempted to order two packs as takeaway but was told that the waiting list for takeaway was two and a half hours. Similar scenes are reported on Korean streets in Beijing and some other big cities.

It is no longer just about lifestyle and attractive South Korean screen idols — this craze for all things Korean has become an economic phenomenon.

According to China Central Television, when a South Korean drama, film or song earns US$100 in exports, that nation of 50 million people pockets another US$400 by selling its various industrial products.

From Wonder Girls’ “Nobody” to PSY’s “Gangnam Style,” from “Endless Love” to the latest “My Love from the Star,” South Korean cultural products are always a hit overseas. Viewers praise the exquisitely made props, costumes and exotic performances.

Despite the out-of-date screen lays and predictable story lines, the shows with pretty actresses and handsome actors in fairy-tale settings guarantee a big viewership. They offer a touchable daydream based on a South Korean lifestyle — the best promotion for the country and its products.

Our neighbor South Korea experienced hard times during the global financial crisis, but the economy has largely recovered with the aid of its cultural exports, according to CCTV’s International Channel.

South Korean electronics, gadgets, food and fashion now represent style trends not only in China but in many other countries and regions.

Soft power

However, I have never heard of any Chinese lifestyle frenzy triggered by Chinese TV dramas, films or music. Though some Chinese products, like DVD player, are best sellers overseas, it’s difficult to say that they convey any soft power.

In fact, Chinese style today is far from being well received overseas, far from attracting fans, and certainly no worshippers.

Take a look at what’s aired on Chinese TV screens during prime time: soap operas set during the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1937-1945) or imperial power struggles in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

Most of them are crudely made. Viewers are usually surprised by strange dialogue, weird costumes and shoddy props. The key message is alto defeat your rival or kill your enemy. Even in romantic comedies, the lead actor must fight his future parents-in-law, his competitors and his ex-girlfriend to win his new beloved.

The South Korean government has enacted preferential policies to support its strategy of boosting cultural exports of all kinds. The effect has been a major economic success as well as a victory of soft power, according to CCTV.

Meanwhile, Chinese TV producers complain that the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression is not their favorite subject, but it can be easily approved by the state media watchdog because of innocuous content.

Perhaps our culture authorities have been too focused on ideology, which doesn’t win overseas fans. Why not learn from our neighbor to do a better job of projecting the soft power?

(http://www.shanghaidaily.com/opinion/chinese-perspectives/South-Korean-TV-dramas-create-a-lifestyle-frenzy/shdaily.shtml)

March 12, 2014
Gianna Jun Becomes Chef for ‘Chef Collection’ Media Day
Source: BNTNews
8b8ow1dv8cug5xreknwsel52ryhsub3s.jpg
[by Chloe Yun] Gianna Jun attended Samsung Electrics ‘Chef Collection’ media day held on March 12 at SHILLA Hotel, Seoul. 
On that day, Gianna Jun introduced Samgsung’s new premium refrigerator ‘Chef Collection’ as the ambassador. (photo by bntnews DB)