Yoo Seung Ho 유승호 ユ・スンホ 俞 承 豪

Admin

Thank you Beiru for all the news about Yoo Seung Ho.  I wish more fans visit this thread so we can have a nice conversation here.  I recently became a huge fan of YSH after watching IANR.  After that, I began rooting for his past dramas.  Is there any news of him doing another one? 

Thanks, Beiru, for posting all these news about Yoo Seung Ho.  I wish more fans visit this thread so we can have a nice conversation.  I'm from California.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Berou any news what could be his next drama?

Missing already this brilliant actor. I wish to see him i maybe something like MARS? we gotta see that wonderful acting! Like in Remember. Less than 60 second into the start of the drama..I cried that scene with the father.

Hiii  still no news about his come back?  Sigh I never got over him ever since I watched Missing You and Warrior Baek Dong Soo. Still makes me cry so much. I would love to see him in such an intense role again BUT this time around he has to have a happy ending. I have watched all his shows but these two were the only ones that struck with me  ( just because of his characters and him playing the roles otherwise don't even get me started on their story lines and frustrating outrageous  injustices). I am Not a Robot was nowhere near his previous shows. Even Imaginary Cat was better than I am Not a Robot in my opinion. I just can't wait to see him onscreen again with such an intense character getting a happy ending. Sigh only God knows when our wait is going to end 

• 2 weeks later...

@Berou Heyy:) So sorry for such a late reply, i was under the impression that I'd get an email notification like earlier but didn't so thought that noone replied. Anyways,yes if he is taking time then there must be a reason for sure. Whether he is taking a well deserved break after such a long period of filming or he is just being cautious about his choice, its all cool. Afterall we don't want another I am not a Robot type of experience. I don't blame yoopies too because to be honest people are more interested in the feels and intensity rather than extensive discussions over kissing or farting jokes. Such things only act as audience repellent. So yeah I'd agree to INAR being subpar with his previous shows.

I also became his fan after watching I Miss You. Gosh it was so emotional, I wish they hadn't shown him to be a murderer just to make way for the lead pair to be together. He totally stole the show in that one and also in Warrior baek Dong Soo ( that show was another one hell of a heartbreaking emotional wreck with an unfair ending. Totally used his character to move the story forward only to be used as a sacrificial scrapegoat in the end. I ended up with months of stupor of grief ). Anyways, lets see what happens. I'd love to see him in such a deep intense character again but with a happy ending. May the odds be in his favour. Fingers Crossed. 

Edited by woonisha
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Berou said:

Yeah Soompi notifications system can be a bit wonky.  The last time he took such a long break was in 2016 after having filmed 2 movies and 2 dramas. We got his ruler casting news after a 6 months break. He seems to me to an actor who works hard, really hard when he is active (i.e multiplying projects) and once he takes time off, he extends his break time.  This time he must not make a bad choice. He has already used his one year window. Only one year is left before all the hallyu stars in the army come back. If I were him, I would used this once-a-lifetime opportunity and make profit of their absence. 

I have nothing against rom coms although they are not my favourite genre but I am not robot writing was lacking. I really felt it was written not by a very talented writer. It was too draggy, that's the only thing I deplore. I take it as an experimental project for him, he chose it because he wanted to do something different than what he is used to. He probably got attracted by the robot theme that wasn't experienced in korean dramas and moreover he already knew the director since they worked together on Arang and the Magistrate. These must be the reasons why he chose it. 

Oh I finally met someone who became his fan after IMY !! :).  I got amazed by the intensity of his acting , he completely nailed that role. The writer was just lacking creativity and couldn't come up with a better plot, she/ he needed to make him a killer so that she can pair the female lead with the male lead. I'm still denying the unfair ending of WBDS, I still haven't understood why the writer chose to kill his character. In my alternative ending, both leads made up and became besties :lol:. I have the same wish, I hope to see his intense acting that we have seen in IMY in near future, maybe an anti-hero role as a male lead who is bad but becomes good and redeems himself ? 

Well you said it all. He should indeed take advantage of the absence of hallyu stars.  Even I don't have anything against rom coms but INAR lacked alot when it came to writing and moreover the robot theme and improper handling of intense situations kind of spoiled it. In my case I saw him in INAR a long time  after I Miss You and WBDS so it was hell of a shocker for me to find out that  it was actually Yoo Seung Ho in the drama. Apart from his smile he looked barely recognizable and ultimately I couldn't connect with his new look ( because I was too used to the old one). Truth be said his old look/ makeover in I Miss You and WBDS was simply divine.

Coming to the story of IMY even I would not deny that it was his intensity of acting/ intense character which got me hooked. The way Harry ruined his own life for his love was amazing, impressive and tragic as well. I mean who even does that these days? that too for 14 years?! Just like you already mentioned the writer went short of ideas and made him a killer ( Not that I bought the writer's desperate failed attempt to paint him as a villain. I didn't buy it for one second nor I had any issues with it. He was failed by the law and justice system and except the death of Detective Kim over a misunderstanding, all of the others were much worse monsters and had it coming, especially the rapist). As a woman I feel ashamed of the female lead rejecting Harry for a guy who left her at the mercy of those monsters.

And as far as WBDS is concerned I never moved on from it nor I think I ever would. Lucky for you to think of an alternate ending but for me the death of his character was too tragic heartbreaking, unforgivable outrageous and totally uncalled for!!! They could have simply faked his death and shown him alive somewhere far away from Joseon but no. Just when we finally thought that everything is going to be fine, he can finally breathe freely and be with his friends again, they had to show his own childhood friend thirsty for his blood. Man I have even lost count of the number of times I have expressed my anger and pain over the unjust, unfair death of Yeo Woon on other social media platforms. Its just beyond me that what got into the writer to kill him off like that. Nobody even cared about the best swordsman title or the girl. All we wanted was for Yeo Woon to live and finally be happy.They merely had to show the real truth prevailing ( about him NOT being a murderer after all)  and  brotherhood coming out strong. I would never ever forgive the WBDS writer for heartlessly killing him off like that. Nope. Never.

@Berou Yes that is true, there are so many well executed rom coms out there, Strong Woman Do Bong Soon, Weight Lifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, My Love From Another Star, Pinocchio are just to name a few from the long list. INAR like you mentioned was neither well written nor well executed and wasted so many episodes just like that. And as for YSH's looks I'd agree, he is like a chameleon and really gets into the skin of every character he plays. I on the other hand recognized him in all his shows except Ruler and INAR (those two were the most shocking ones lol).

Coming to IMY yes I am aware of PYC fans' conspiracy and deliberately targeting YSH on social media trying to malign his image. They probably resorted to such tactics to make their favorite shine (in reel and real)   but much to their dismay I am sure they failed at that and Yoo Seung Ho stole the show not only as a strong character but also as an amazing actor.

As for  WBDS,  yes I have seen that article.before and agree with it. Everyone wants a redo of WBDS  with an alternate ending. Even now, almost 7 years after the show has handed, people still remember it and feel badly pissed off at its ending. It was Yeo Woon's show. Period. The so called villains shined in it totally, acting and character wise both otherwise frankly speaking except Woon and Chun's character everything was terribly  half baked including the bromance and Baek Dong Soo as a lead character. He did pull tall claims about love and destiny not being real but at the end of the day he was unable to save his best friend. He was just carrying his brains in his knees as usual and failed to see past poor Woonie's lies who had already had enough. The whole fight with the swords was unnecessary and had he really been his best friend in every sense of the word, there was no way he could have missed that suicidal look in his eyes and his deliberate provocations to kill him.He'd have died himself instead of living off happily ever after with the girl Woonie loved and the sick friend who instigated his death in the first place,:angry:

P.S  Good to see him getting involved in such activities. Lets see when we get the news about his new show :)

7 hours ago, Berou said:

It is quite interesting that you say you didn't recognize him in his last two dramas. It makes me recall what he said in his last year nylon interview, he expressed his worries as an actor and how he has accumulated throughout years " bad acting" and how his acting has YSH's feels and is stereotyped.  Your shockers probably go beyond characters and looks. Every actor has a certain acting style, perhaps you didn't find YSH's trademark acting in his last two dramas and YSH is trying to change his acting style. I'm not an expert in acting but I understand your shocker more when it comes to I am not a robot. It took me some time to adjust myself to his character and the YSH I saw on my screen. Besides,  in his last two dramas his potential was wasted due to the combination of bad directing and bad writing. Ruler could have been one hell of a drama if only MBC didn't botch it by entrusting it to rookies. 

You are quite well-informed and knowledgeable. I don't think many fans know about this conspiracy. Thankfully I got to know of it really really late, so I didn't witness it. Do you know how YSH's fans reacted to it ? YSH also experienced the same fate as PYC in remember when the writer shifted the focus on the villain and made the villain the show of the drama. As far as I know, YSH fans didn't create conspiracy or malign NGM ( the actor and character), send hateful messages to SBS or to NGM. 

My take on  Yeo Woon is that he was like a sacrificial sheep to writers. He was used as a plot device to forward the plot and once he wasn't useful, he got written off. Besides he did too many bad things and killed too many people as an assassin, such a character in most of cases face death. Perhaps the writer couldn't find a logical explanation to his death ( you know bad writing and not enough of talent ;)), hence we got this illogical, unfair, jarring, frustating and unbelievable ending. 

Yes it's good to see him enjoying his life and doing what he likes. I read on some fans posts, he is actually a regular of that camp and has worked with the staff in 2014 too. The camp is called the blue life camp

Someone filmed him participating in a drifting competition and he won the 4th place !! :D

My shockers go beyond looks and characters? I didn't quite get you there.  My shocker was due to the change of his facial features        ( probably because there was a significant gap of years when i watched him in ruler and INAR after MY and WBDS.) ,not his acting. I never found his acting faulty, stereotyped or bad in any of his dramas His acting is flawless but yeah I won't deny that it took me some time as well  to adjust to his character in INAR ..As for the fans' conspiracy, I have never seen any of YSH fan sinking to PYC fan level yet. Don't know much about Remember's fan wars because I watched the drama long after it was aired.

As far as Yeo Woon  is concerned, he was indecisive and highly conflicted yes, but he was definitely not a killer or a bad person at all. Last time I checked he spent most of his time saving people instead of killing them.  He didn't kill anyone. He had his heart in the right place and was the purest of them all.

Edited by Berou
quoted images

On 7/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, Berou said:

@woonisha I was looking too much into and thinking perhaps there were other reasons. It is understandable, indeed there was a change of facial feature between before the army and after the army.  After I miss you I followed him and got to know of his updates regularly, so I didn't get the same shock ^_^.  I also never found his acting faulty, he is amazingly and incredibly talented for his age and I REALLY hope he realizes this. He is a bit too critical and  blames himself when efforts don't meet results. That's why in that interview he said he is worried about his acting and thinks it is stereotyped.  When one of his projects becomes a flop, he takes the blame on himself and his acting. 

Yeah I didn't see  one yoopie complaining or posting bad comments about  remember's case. There were no fanwars. I was active on soompi during that time and posted in remember thread. This is why I love and really like how nice Yoopies are, which sadly not the case for every fans' actors/ actresses.  I have witnessed those fanwars concerning other actresses/ actors. 

I agree. Yeo Woon was not a bad person, he was conditioned by his father that told him everytime about his destiny to be an assassin. He was really torn between his " destiny" and his friends with whom he grew up. He had a strong instinct to protect them  It's just he was convinced that the assassin path was his destiny and when he desired to escape from that path ( i.e to spend his days with friends)  and to exterminate the Heuksa Chorong, he chose suicide . It's been a while I've watched the drama to be honest, I watched it  when I was slowly getting  interested in YSH. And I remember at that time I encountered many difficulties to finish it, I even took a break from it ( because I felt the plot was too slow and action scenes weren't my thing back then). So I only have this memory. But since my taste in dramas has changed drastically, I should re-watch it with new eyes and savor  it with my eyes. 

Btw he has posted an update today

This update was a promise he made to his fans at his last FM in Seoul :) , he promised he would film inside the car to show us  how he is doing drifts. 

Yes exactly, my shocker was merely limited to the drastic change in his pre and post army look only. He is indeed incredibly talented for his age and  a natural when it comes to acting. It was saddening to see his interview where he blamed himself for INAR's low ratings because it wasn't his fault at all. I wish somebody bucked him up by telling him the truth that he really can't do anything about bad writing, screenplay or poor execution of a story. As for yoopies, yes they are cool. Even during Missing You's conspiracy i never saw any yoopie showing any sort of  indecency or crossing a line. Mostly everyone I have met is awesome.

Coming to Yeo Woon, he is a highly misunderstood character by some.  Yes he was torn between his destiny and his innate desire to protect his loved ones but he was never a real  assassin/ killer in true sense of the word. He even stabbed Yang Cho Rip as a diversion only, not with an intention to kill him ( even when he was on the orders to do so the first time but he still didn't and cured him the first chance he got). Moreover he didn't choose suicide when he finally had the chance to escape his fate and dissolve Heuksa Chorong. He did went to the King and got pardoned too. He did try to save his own life and the state from the coup until Yang Cho Rip messed things up and opened his sorry to say filthy mouth to guilt trip him again into the very pain and darkness he tried to escape all his life. For me that was an instigation of suicide/ murder attempt. The most frustrating part of the show was that Yeo Woon died while taking the blame for the murders/ crimes he didn't even do!! His good deeds never came out in the open and to add to the nuisance he wasn't even properly mourned by anyone. Personally I'd never even have looked at the face of the friend who instigated the murder of another friend of mine  let alone be normal and happy with that friend + wooden chopstick my best friend loved.

As for your frustrations over the slow plot, I completely understand where you are coming from. Even I won't deny that I had the same problem but since I watched online so I fast forwarded through almost all of the non Yoo Seung Ho parts ( because to be very honest his character was the only one which managed to gain my attention a and win my heart ).

Oh and I saw this video of him. He is so awesome. It was good to see him laughing and smiling like that, not ashamed to say my heart stopped lol. He is simply adorable.

Edited by Berou
quoted image

@Berou Yes you are right. He was a very complex character with multiple layers (thats why maybe he was a difficult character to understand for some) but thats what made him much more interesting than rest of the bland lot.  As for his preference of suicide well I'd say that in the end  (unlike throughout the series) he was forced to do it, like I said instigation, it wasn't his first choice/ priority. For once he did had hope and tried to live for a change but unfortunately got manipulated once again ( and yes Dong Soo was one hell of an idiot for not realizing that suicidal look in his eyes and his provocations:sweatingbullets: sigh). In my case I can easily skip through the parts/characters I dont like or find boring because honestly I watch shows for the characters I like and their stories, not the drama or the story as a whole. 

The fan was clever lol. Its cool. i just wish he comes back soon with a good project. It has already been quite long. All these updates are good and its always nice to hear about him but seeing him in a drama regularly is something else. Hope a good project comes his way soon:)

On 8/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, Berou said:

Yes translating is very time-consuming.  Regardless of being unethical or not, it is very disrespectful to lie and not admit it when being confronted. Every time  I asked them to stop doing It, they plainly denied it right away.  I was forced to come up with proofs then. They copied from my opinions/observations  to informations posted here. 

All his  ChoRip 's fault (why Cho Rip ? *cries).  He got his beautiful redemption arc and prevented the coup againt royalty, then ChoRip asked to kill him to the king. When YW heared that, all his wishes to go back to his friends went away.  He felt their distrust and perhaps understood they will never be friends like they used to. YW tried until his death to fight against his destiny, to escape the assassin path, to undo his wrongdoings. before his death Cho Rip's words to him resonated within him and influenced him to die. The writer's message  was no matter what he cant escape his destiny and he will be forever misunderstood. Until he is alive, his minions will kill and he is going to get misunderstood  because of them. The writer didn't want him to have a happy end even though he redeemed himself .  The manipulation and the disobedience of his underlings  precipitated his death. 

Btw which dramas of him have you liked besides IMY and WBDS?  You stated you dont like I am not a robot, how about Remember and Ruler? 

Of course, coming up with proofs is the only option one is left with after such things.

Well  Cho Rip made it pretty clear that things could never be the same. Like you said his words made him realize that no matter what he does the world would not accept him ( not that he wanted to return to them, he had already decided to exile himself somewhere far away)...As for his minions, they did not attacked Cho Rip of their own accord. They attacked because Cho Rip asked for Woon's blood. Salute to their loyalty for trying to protect their master even after he had dissolved the gang and set them all free. They wouldn't have continued killing if YW wasn't endangered in future also. Therefore, I only blame Cho Rip and Woon's father for his suicide. Tbvh I really don't care what the writer wanted. He should have at least bothered to think about  what YW fans wanted :(  I only care about what I wanted to see as an ending for my fav. I can't curse and hate the writer enough for such an unfair ending. At the end of the day he left most of the YW fandom feeling shocked miserable outraged and badly cheated.

As for his other shows yes INAR was sub par.  Ruler was ok but Remember was good. I really liked his High schooler look. He looked soooo cute lol. I also liked Operation Proposal and Imaginary Cat. The way he looked at that Cat..I wanted to push that cat away and sit in its place lol :D Although they sidelined his character ( because well it was 2nd lead afterall) in Queen Seondeok, his role as Kim ChunChu was quite meaty and impressive one as well. I wish it was Kim Chun Chu's show, they could have done so much more with his character. Other than that I also liked him as Min Jae in Flames of Desire, he was very young back then but still managed to pull off such a gloomy,subdued, complex and a bit rebellious character flawlessly.  Regardless of some issues I had with his character in Master of Study, he was quite good there as well. His role ( though a supporting one only) of Jade Emperor in Arang and the Magistrate was especially a treat to the eyes after Yeo Woon's death ( sigh :( ) In the movie Seondal, the Man who sells River, his role wasn't intense but yeah it was quite refreshing and enjoyable one. He was absolutely adorable in movies Hearty Paws,and City of Fathers. Blind ( though  didn't exactly focus on his character much ) had an interesting character of him as well. It pretty much showed how teenagers typically behave these days lol. 4th Period Mystery and Joseon Magician were okayish. My favourite MVs / songs of him are T ARA- Lies, Ground with So Ji Sub and Park Shin Hye, Believe in Love with IU and Sullae with Rothy.  So all in all, with the exception of a couple of his projects I pretty much like anything and everything that has Yoo Seung Ho in it.

16 hours ago, Berou said:

Yes but it is his minions' will to protect their master that precipitated his death and worsened the situation >>>> This I agree,Though they weren't wrong in their place but they shouldn't have taken matters into their own hands

His friends misunderstood and thought they were acting per YW's orders. >>>>  Why? clearly  because they didn't loved and trusted him enough.They don't deserve to be called his friends because love or friendship, nothing exists without trust. Even the likes of assassins knew YW would rather die than harm/ raise his sword against his friends ( the precise reason which made them attack his friends in the first place) something which the people who claimed to be his friends, who technically grew up with him failed to understand in all these years.

YW didn't want to clear things and let them misunderstood him. He willingly took all the blame.>>>>>  Cho Rip's words made him  willingly take all the blames and give up on everything. A dying/ suicidal person really doesn't care about what he is being blamed with. He just wants the agony to end.

YW could have punished his minions when they attempted to poison his friend. But he didn't do it. >>>>>> Punish them for what?For trying to save his life from the friends who wanted to kill him? He wasn't pleased with the poisoning attempt at all and rushed to save Cho Rip the moment he found out he was in danger ( despite knowing Cho Rip wanted him dead ).

When he dissolved the gang he was clear and told them to stop carrying swords, and  they should leave the swords behind. They didn't listen to him and planned to kill his friend Cho Rip to protect him. To me, this is a clear act of disobedience  even though the reason is justified. 

Technically after the dissolution of the gang they were free to do whatever they wanted even if that meant continuing to be what they were. His orders didn't mean much to them after the gang's official end and YW's resignation from being their leader. For me it was more of an act of loyalty than an act of disobedience. It was their choice to do whatever they wanted with their lives and even after YW's death they'd have continued being assassins, there was no stopping it. As for their planning to kill Cho Rip, its unfortunate that they were unsuccessful. I wanted to see Yang Cho Rip die a  1000 times more worse and painful death than YW's death because of  what he did to him. Served him right,

Unfortunately I didn't like his two last dramas, Ruler is as bad as I am not a robot IMO.

Bingo!! Same here. Though acting wise Ruler might have been difficult for him to act out but overall the drama could have been so much better. I'd have preferred if his character ended up with Hwa Gun. The moment she died that was it for me.

Besides I haven't finished watching Ruler, I still have the final episode left. Remember was fantastic :D. It is his best post-army project in fact !. Yep fully agree with this.:)

Paradoxically Remember made him lose self-confidence and go through a slump. Sigh.True, I also feel the same.

Hence his disappeareance for a few months after the drama.  I also liked Imaginary cat and operation proposal ( I heared YSH hated OP Yeah I also heard it and also read in an Interview that he didn't like melos. He said that melos are embarassing ). I haven't watched Queen Seondeok though, it is the only drama left of him that I haven't watched ( it has 60+ episodes :unsure:). I don't mind long dramas but I am curious if YSH has a big role or not. Well since he was a supporting character there so naturally more than 75-80% of the screen space went to the Queen and politics. His role though strong and a good one wasn't utilized to its fullest potential in all the glorification of the Queen and her fight against villains.

I even wasted 50 hours on his weekend makjang chaebol drama, Flames of Desire. That drama was a headache with all the crazy chaebol antics that the writer pulled in :o. That's where the fast forwarding buttons act as life savers lol. Even I got annoyed with an overdose of politics ( I found his stepmom's role interesting though )  but since I mainly stuck to his parts so it was kind of bearable.

Master of study is one of his best dramas ! He was amazing acting as a rebellious teen. Yeah he totally was! But I wanted him to end up with Hyun Jung instead of Pulip. I was so glad that no one ended up with each other in the end lol. 

As for his movies, my favourite ones are hearty paws, blind and the way home. I agree with you about 4 period mystery and Joseon magician for being OK.  My favourite Mvs of him are I don't love you by Urban Zakapa, Believe in love with IU, you from the same time by Naul.  YSH has good taste, I also like pretty much everything that has him in it. However I prefer more his earlier projects when he was still a child actor and a teen than the recent ones. Same pinch.I have a taste for intense, strong, engaging, deep/ tragic characters. Somehow his recent projects weren't that intense and engaging. All of his old projects are precious and amazing though.

I hope next time he will have luck and meet a good writer and a good director. Yeah hope so..

His long absence from the drama scene is starting to weight heavily. True that!  I wonder when he will come back ? Please YSH, come back with a project. It's been already 7 months.....

Yes YSH Oppa are you listening? Please come back soooon. We miss you a lot!

4 hours ago, Berou said:

@woonisha  Our heads keep butting, why is that ?  Probably because we have a  huge difference of opinion here. I  can't help but to conclude you have your own interpretation of WBDS and Yeo Woon character . There are some points in your reply  I don't agree with. I could reply to you but I don't think my words will change your mind :) and if I do, we are going to continue going on circle. Therefore I am not replying. 

Well  I won't agree to anything against Yeo Woon. For me he was the true hero of the show ( show needs a serious title change... Warrior/ Assassin Yeo Woon ) because ultimately he saved everyone but unfortunately lost himself in the process.It's a fact that nothing would change neither my mind nor yours, we'll keep going in circles, so lets just agree to disagree on this topic.

As for his other dramas

Ruler :  Yes it was a bad drama whose potential was undertulized and which wasted the talents of YSH and KSH. IMO  it was more of YSH's talent gone wasted than KSH's. As compared to YSH, she still has a long way to go when it comes to acting  (and I'm saying this after watching her other dramas )

The moment that was it for me was when Lee Sun the crown prince went to Daemok without a plan B to save Ga Eun. At that moment the writer completely messed up and failed to keep her promise to viewers. The plot was ( taken from asianwiki) that In the 1700's, Crown Prince Lee Sun  fights against Pyunsoo hwe. Pyunsoo hwe is an organization that has accumulated power and wealth through privatizing water all over Joseon. Crown Prince Lee Sun becomes a hope for the people who suffers. Ga-Eun is the woman Crown Prince Lee Sun loves and she helps grow as a ruler.  So the writer was supposed to depicts the fight of a crown prince against injustice and an organization controlling Joseon, his journey and growth from a naive crown prince to an wise king with the help of the woman he loves. We were supposed to watch his hardships, his journey and  his love for his people. The writer failed to tell this story since the heroine was clueless 80% of the drama ( therefore couldn't help much the crown prince) and the corwn prince loved more Ga Eun than his people . He went to Daemok without a plan B and without thinking about the sacrifices his subjects did in order to help him to stay alive. In the last episode he threatened he would leave the throne if his ministers wouldn't accept Ga Eun as the queen. Thus Ga Eun was more important to him than the throne, a throne he fought for throughout all the drama. He loved Gae Eun more than his people.  These two scenes shouldn't have been written since they contradict the plot. I don't care about Hwa Gun or any other character, my only wish was the writer would keep her promises and we would watch a show as we were told to. 

Ok. I fully agree with your take on Ruler. IMO it was disastrous. I mean come ON, he was supposed to be the future king, how on earth can he just control people by emotional talks ?!! As audience we needed more drama more action and intellectual games which made the Prince always one step ahead and superior to his enemies. He was supposed to grow stronger as a person after so many hardships, not only physically but emotionally as well but unfortunately all I got to see was an ordinary person without any exceptional skills. As for his love for Ga Eun, I really couldn't care less because like I told you earlier I preferred Hwa Gun with him not Ga Eun. At a point I really got frustrated with him for preferring Ga Eun over Hwa Gun. The girl literally threw her life away for him. She wasn't a villain IMO. She only joined the gang to save his life from her grandfather. If what she did for him isn't true love then I don't know what is. Even after her death he was like how'd I ever repay your kindness? I was like seriously dude the girl died for you, it was her love not kindness for heavens sake get some brains or have a heart!

And your rooting for Hwa Gun is the result of the writer's mess. Because the writer failed to write a compelling, attractive female lead. The viewers got bored with Ga Eun and her cluelessness. The vilainess had a more interesting story. Obviously the writer wasn't talented enough to go through the hardships of writing and hadn't the ability to write a good female lead. If I were in her shoes, I would have erased Ga Eun character, made Hwa Gun the female lead and cast KSH for Hwa Gun.

This I fully agree with. Hwa Gun had a far more selfless love and interesting storyline than Ga Eun. Ga Eun was just plain boring. Even I'd have made Hwa Gun the FL opposite him not Ga Eun.

I had some episodes left to watch, some months I decided to give it a try but I failed to finish Ruler. My disappointement is greater and harder because of the heavy massive promotion done by MBC before the airing. 

Its natural. The show wasn't anything extraordinary tbh. I only put up with it because of YSH.

Remember :  it is one of YSH's best performance and I really really liked his character Seo Jin Woo. Remember had the intensity and strong characters.  Seo Jin Woo is my second favourite character of YSH.  We didn't have a male lead who constantly needed to saved by the female lead unlike in Ruler . He was a martyr in the true sense. His life went upside down because of NGM and  he lost his memory.  He didn't have one moment of happiness, when he finally succeeded in putting NGM behind the bars it was already too late for him as his memory was deteriorated a lot. In the end of the drama, he chose to live alone because he didn't want to become a burden, he was living like a soul without any memories. And mostly he didn't get the girl. Isn't it the worse ?  He couldn"t live with his loved one by his side. SJW has this side of self-controlling, selflessness, endurance than we don't see in many dramas characters. 

Again agree with you on this. He did get the girl IMO but at the end of the day it didn't mattered because his memory had already deteriorated. He had no choice but to leave everything behind instead of hurting his loved ones by making them see him in that condition every single day. Sigh. That was really unfortunate.

I was curious about QS, so that if I ever watch it I know how to watch it. QS is a classic sageuk and a favourite one of many viewers. I know YSH had a side character but I thought maybe he would get many screentime.  Per your words, I should focus more on the politics and the queen than him :)

Lol yes, QS is all about the Queen and her fight against the antagonists Mishil and finally her love Bidam. Kim ChunChu was remarkably talented, had a mind of his own, but was unfortunately sidelined and reduced to a mere adviser who has to agree to everything what the Queen says.

When I watched flames of desire it was during a time when I craved for YSH's performance . At that time he was doing his military service and I spent the 2 years watching his old dramas. So I didn't mind watching a 50 hours long drama for him lol.  Today I won't probably do something like this. Like I stated a few days ago, I don't like fast-forwarding dramas. It is either all or nothing , either I watch it all or don't watch at all. 

Master of study : I know many shipped him with JiYeon character rather than Go Ah Sun character. And it seemed like there was a rift between viewers, 2 groups supporting the female leads. Why were you happy that he didn't end up with someone ? Is it because he didn't end up with Hyun Jung ? Ofcourse yes lol.

To me the ending was logical and sensible. They all graduated from High School, and probably after high school they wouldn't have kept contact with each other or meet regularly. They all turned the page and went to the next chapter.

Agree, the ending was very much logical yes and much to my relief I didn't had to see him with Pulip instead of Hyun Jung so no complaints there lol.

I guessed it as much when you said you like Yeo woon lol .  The only recent project that was intense and engaging was Remember. And his character was a tragic one too.  I also notice the " shift" in his acting career, he doesn't do intense/complex projects like he used to. He has toned it down. He probably thought a lot about the direction of his acting career while in army and what type of projects he should choose.  He received a lot of critcism when he was still a child actor for those dramas, viewers blamed for wanting to grow up too quickly and said those type of dramas weren't suited to him. He learned the lesson and now tries to take it easy. 

This wasn't a lesson to be learnt at all IMO.That's the major cause of his slump. That's what happens when you listen to others instead of taking a decision yourself. He simply excels at such roles.  Yes I do agree that he played characters which were much older to him onscreen ( which probably gave an impression of him wanting to grow up too early) but he managed to pull them off flawlessly. Melos and intense roles are his forte. Add some action to it and we'd have an unbeatable hero and a memorable series ( i-e if directed well.)

16 hours ago, Berou said:

Both were victims of a poor script, even the actor who played Daemok. At the beginning he was very scary, then towards the middle he became lesser and lesser, and lost his villain spark ( ?).  It bemuses me how easily he died and lost his gang and his men. He became interesting when he poisoned the queen and all the court ( but that was towards the end of the drama). 

True. Well I pretty much yawned through the whole thing. It was that boring. I wouldn't even have bothered to finish the series had it not been for YSH.

I can't compare someone who has been acting for 10 years with someone who is considered a veteran and has an acting history of 18 years. 

Well number of years does not matter. Its just that some people are naturally more gifted than the others and YSH is one of them. If we go back to his initial projects , The way home, daddy fish, immortal admiral Yi sun Sin, Sad love story,The legend, the king and I, precious family, QS etc etc  we don't get to see such prominent big holes in any of his performances ( atleast I didnt come across any)

But I do agree with you about her needing to improve in some points as I noticed she is not ready yet to do romance dramas.  She herself admitted it is her acting hole and tries her best in romantic scenes. She is still young and in her teens, she will have all her time to improve and become better. 

This I agree with. She is indeed very young and has all the time in the world to improve ( which I am sure she will :))

Haha when I confronted the people who supported Lee Sun's undying love for Ga Eun and were pleased when he went to save her without a plan B. They riposted with : Ga Eun is also one of her subjects, if he can't save the woman he loves he wouldn't be able to save his people either. Haha yeah right IMO His actions for saving Ga Eun and choosing her over the throne are unfit for a king. A king must not be gouverned by his emotions, a king must serve his kingdom and put his duties above everything, he must prioritze his health since the future of a nation depends on him. 

Though the writer tried to make it look impressive that the guy stood up for his love against all odds BUT that would have only suited him if he had been an ordinary person. Like you said a true king should priortize his nation above his personal life. I would have preferred if he came up with some other unique way of keeping the girl and throne for himself. This act of him didn't suited his position at all.

He became wiser but emotionally didn't grow a lot. I also felt the same, I wished to see intellectual games and some cunningness from Lee Sun because I believe in order to win over his ennemies, he needed to play smart and have some vice.  I also felt his character regressed as the series progressed and the writer couldn't make him greater. We saw a glimpse of his smartness when he cleverly pleaded and convinced the merchants to lend money to the market merchants. That was the only stroke of brilliance we got to see throughout the series lol. He was all talks and recited the teachings he had learned since he was a kid but he couldn't come up with a plan throughout the series. Exactly.

I used the term villainess as it is commonly used in dramaland. I was startled at how biased some viewers were and at how her character was blackened and misunderstood.  They painted her as a right out villain, when in fact her character got a redemption arc and she changed a lot. She went from a bratty, selfish girl to a girl sacrificing herself for her love. She committed huge mistakes but saved many times the life of the crown prince.  Her misfortune was that she was born in the wrong family and was brought up wrongly. If she had stayed alive, she could have continued to change more for the better. ( This I totally agree with) 

Well i don't belong to such biased set of the audience who see a character as black or white only. Viewers like me tend to look for a reason if someone does something shady. Till a character loses all its self conscience and ability to love, we see him/ her as a grey character only. Hwa Gun didn't do any grievous mistakes to begin with. Hence she can be categorized as a grey character yes but not an OTT villainess. 

they loved each other but illness separated them . Since SJW experienced the pain of someone closed not being able to recognize. He didn't want to inflict the same pain to LIA and the others.  In this drama the villain was very strong and 2 dimensional. Agree. Nam Goong Min used cleverly his strengths and was able to perfom a compelling villain to the point some fans insulted SJW for being stupid, rooting for  the villain and crying for the unfair ending of NGM.  SJW had growth and got smart, I loved the scene when he confronted the doctor and with a cunning smile told him he will catch them all. 

Well initially SJW was a kid afterall. It was impossible for him to defeat a guy like NGM from the very start. Its natural that SJW's character needed time to grow and defeat NGM. What matters is that he ultimately did. My friends and I never rooted for NGM. He was a true villain in every sense of the word. For what he did to the girl ( that too without showing any sign of remorse till the end), he was an animal and deserved to die like an animal. His father's beatings didn't justify his violent means of letting his anger out on others. Suicide was away too easy way out for him. His end should have been made examplary.

I think not being able to recognize your loved ones and having no memories is worse than death. The drama has some beautiful dialogs about memory. True that

Can I know why you liked Hyun Jung rather than Pulip ? 

Because there was much more to Hyun Jung's character than what met the eye. Yes she was clingy dumb and should have given some space to YSH's character but there was a reason for it. She didn't had a single person in her life who loved her hence she clung to HK who was almost as lonely and deteriorated inside because of the hardships he had to face. Only difference was that he came out to be a much stronger person and she was further weakened inside.She loved him unconditionally amd probably thought that he'd understand her at some point which unfortunately didnt happen.IMO Such people deserve love more than anyone else. Although I did felt bad for Pulip's mom's behaviour towards her as well but at the end of the day she did cared for her enough to turn up for the meetings whereas as Hyun Jung was left standing all alone and reaching out to the grandma (who didnt even like her )as a family. Teacher's care is one thing and family's care and love life are a totally different things. After a point Pulip's repeated crying became more of attention seeking for me and I couldn't connect with her anymore. It became a bit cringy.

i agree partially with you on this. While he is the prince of melo and excels at such roles, I don't think it is good for his career to put him into a box and force him to only do melo dramas. Otherwise he is going to be typecasted and will only get melo dramas offers. Doing such a drama once in a while is OK.  I don't think it is the only reason of his slump and why he hasn't got a breakthrough drama since his army discharge. There are many variables. We have understood YSH likes dark / intense genre but the viewers felt he was forcing too much and wanting to grow up quickly.  For now it is better for him to do dramas for his age and experiments genres he hasn't ever done. When he will reach his 30's he can do then dark projects as many as he wants and nobody will tell him he is too young. 

Well a good drama has action drama romance everything in a right amount. Noone is forcing him to do melos only but yes the drama's character and storyline should be concrete enough to engage the audience. Its a business of dreams and fantasies afterall. No drama is interesting if its not dreamy/ emotional enough and lacks the essential ingredients to make it a compelling watch. Lets see what YSH comes up with next. He has already given his best performances and has been in the industry for a long time. Its a pity that he still hasn't made it to the hallyu list. He deserves to be on it more than anyone else. I cant wait to see the day when he does makes it to the list. His entry on it has been long overdue.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:19 AM, Berou said:

YSH is a rare gem, he was born to be an actor . He hasn't followed any acting training or acting lessons, he learnt acting on set while shooting projects. Thus he didn't get any advice from professionals or an acting diploma. And it is even more amazing when you know these facts. He is better than some actors who majored in acting in university, I would say . At only the age of 24 he received a top male excellence award and got nominated for a daesang. The top male excellence award is the 2nd most prestigious award in award ceremonies. If things go well and he continues to challenge himself, he will get his daesang away before the age of 30. For that he needs the right script with the right team ( director, writer, cast). 

In KSH's case, she is a successful child actress and has memorable roles as a child actress ( the villain in Moon Sun drama, a victim of rape in I miss you, the legenday Kim Sun  in Goblin). She has showed an interesting   range of acting, can play villains or female lead roles . She is also more on the melo side like YSH.  I would say her acting holes might be due to inexperience in some areas in real life.  She has finally slowed down her rythm and is enjoying her life while going to the university. When she will have finished university and graduated, she will have become a better actress with more real life experiences. 

Yes I know he never had had any professional training or lessons for acting. That makes him even more special. He is a natural. Right from the beginning every character he played never looked flawed or even seemed remotely like a character. His acting is just so marvelous that it makes you forget that you are watching a fictional character not a real person. He just gets you engrossed in him that much ( Or maybe I'm too much of YSH biased? :lol: ) I just can't wait for him to get that right project, bag that award and enter the hallyu list. Oppa Fighting!!!

As for KSH well I'd still say she has room to improve.It's not like I don't like her or have anything against her but just because she is a successful  child actress I simply can't turn a blind eye to those faulty scenes where the required amount of emotion wasn't delivered.  Yes, she has portrayed variety of interesting characters and I've seen them all, but well like you said maybe she needs more real life experiences to improve. Every actor has their own space of acting, maybe she'll expand hers with time, we'll have to wait and watch.

Every actor has his/ her own acting method. Some need to relate to real life experience, others don't need. Some have a methodic acting, meaning that they will get into the skin of their character and become their characters and thus behave like their characters off camera. From KSH interviews, I understood she is an actress that refer to her experience that help her to perform. 

I wish you were in soompi when Ruler was being aired. The posters in ruler thread were anti-HG, they went as far as comparing both female leads ( GE and HG) to prove how bad HG was and wrote long essays about HG's flaws. I'm not a  HG supporter but it really bothers me when some viewers who have obvious biased views purposely choose one side and charcoal the other. HG was not an OTT vilainess, she was a grey character like you say. She did commit  grievious mistakes neverthless in the beginning of the series, when blinded by love she followed the Crown Prince and provoked commoner LS's dad 's death. But she redeemed herself and fixed her mistakes when she saved the life of the CP numerous times. If she had stayed alive she could have found another reason to live other than love because all the good deeds she did was because of love. She didn't share the same morals as CP ( i.e love/ sacrifice for people, care for subjects' well being etc.) though.  Therefore I don't think she was qualfied/fit to be a good queen,  a queen has the same priorities and duties of a king ( I have mentioned them before).

Ok maybe I missed out something but didn't the commoner LS's dad died or more like punished by the Daemok's underlings because he had stolen water ( although for all the right reasons) from that water bank/ house whatever? Sigh, even I am bothered by such fans who deliberately charcoal the other side in order to support their favorites. Mostly they forget the difference between reel and real and don't even try to rationalize things. Well I guess you could do that since everyone is entitled to an opinion ( as long as the other side isn't being maligned deliberately).  As for HG well I felt she and the CP were more or less the same. Both cared about their personal lives/ love more than their people. Had she been allowed to live then I am sure she'd have been able to see a broader aspect of life . With right family and surroundings she might have been made a good queen as well. She learned to love CP and I'm sure she'd have loved anything he loved even if that meant loving his people. She'd have done anything and everything for him.

I wish Lee Sun would had the same growth as SJW. SJW's character was well-written. SJW fitted YSH like a glove and YSH was cast for Remember because the writer was a fan of him and believed he was the only one who could showcase a wide range of acting, from a high schooler to a young lawyer to a patient with alzheimer. We saw this growth. SJW became stronger and smarter, after his father's death he finally understood he needed to play a bit dirty in order to win and get his revenge, he came up with a plan and orchestrated NGM's arrest. NGM didn't deserve any pity or kindness, his abuse from his father don't justify the horrible acts he did. He was anger and anger, took his frustration on people. In the end he became a coward and chose suicide because he didn't want to serve his punishment. What I don't like is how Nam Goong Min and the director tried to turn into comedy his explosions of anger and made fun of his character in those moments. There is nothing funny when a character beats, kills and hurt people. 

Couldn't agree more.  YSH portrayed the character flawlessly and was indeed the best choice for the character. I can't imagine anyone else in his place. I hated NGM throughout and like you said there isn't anything funny in  torturing people. He was sick and deserved a worse ending than that. I wished to see someone hitting him and trying to kill him the way he killed others. He deserved to die the same way his victims did. It'd have been only fair IMO.

I fully agree with you. A good produced drama has a right amount of everything : drama, suspense, romance, action. I think we shouldn't blame his recent choices and attempt to find justifications of his slumps into them. He was unlucky, his dramas had good concepts but they were not entrusted to the right people. For example if Ruler was aired in tvn, it would have been a hit 100% and YSH would be a hallyu star now. Now cables Tv channels  have the best directors and writers. So I hope next time he will go to Tvn or jtbc. 

It is indeed a pity he has still not made it, what he lacks is luck.  Fame and buzz come with luck, the hallyu stars that made to the list are for  sure hard-workers and give their best but they met luck at one moment in their career. They accepted an offer that made them stand out and popular... and sometimes the role they got famous for is not one of the most challenging one. 

Well I'd agree with this one. Luck matters a lot as well. I was surprised to find out about a couple of people who were there on the list so yeah luck also matters a lot too. I hope luck strikes with SH asap and he gets the right project. Like I said his entry on the list has been long overdue. His acting is perfect and I'm sure he can slip into the skin of any character he is given.He just needs the right project. One right project with a stroke of good luck and our SH will rise up to the list in no time.:)

On 8/14/2018 at 6:29 PM, Berou said:

I also have never felt any acting hole in his acting, he is really a natural. Maybe this is the reason he is often mentioned as one of the actors they'd like to wrok with by noonas. :lol: with other yoopies we had fun establishing  here the list of noonas who are smiten by him.  There is a queue of like 10 people 

Not only smitten, we have a long list of noonas who have worked opposite him as his onscreen love interests. Its a relief that he kind of blurs the heroines whenever he comes onscreen otherwise the pairings would have looked really really weird.

You missed it out ! :) She is indeed the reason LS's dad died. When LS's dad stole the water, he got caught by the guard working at the Police Bureau and promised him he will pay the money the next day. The guard let it slide but Hwa Gun barged into the Police Bureau and ordered to track down the man  who stole the water is and catch him, otherwise she would tell her grandfather about the theft. This is how his father got arrested, due to Hwa Gun's order. What she wanted was to localize the crown prince because she knew the crown prince was with Lee Sun Commner, his dad etc, however she didn't care if he was going to die ( she had selfish motives). After the arrest, LS's dad got killed by PS group.  She is also the indirect reason of Ga Eun's dad death  since LS' s dad was about to die at the mercy of PS group, Ga Eun's dad got involved and wanted to help Ls's dad. 

The act can be categorized as recklessness ( she probably didn't realize the seriousness of the situation and didn't see the bigger picture) but as long as she did not order the guy to be killed or killed him with her own hands she can't be exactly categorized as a murderer. Ordering arrest and killing are two very different things. The guy was responsible for his own death. Even though the reason of stealing water was justified. He fully knew what he was getting himself involved in. Daemok's underlings never let anyone slide. Even after she became the head of the group, its reins were being pulled by Daemok only. So it could be called as the PS group or Daemok's kill not hers.

I am not sure that Hwa Gun cared more about her personal feelings than her people like the crown prince did. Both were willing to die for their loved one and sacrifice themselves, however Hwa Gun didn't care for one moment about the people. There is one scene that differentiates really well Hwa Gun and Lee Sun in this aspect. It is the scene where  the Crown Prince infiltrates the poppy field and  the poison factory. He gets shocked by the cruelty of PS group which employs young girls to make the poison and throws them out once they have died by the poison. While both HG and LS want to destroy PS group, LS thinks about the young girls and says to her he will save them. All this while, HG knew PS group was using young girls for producing poison but  she didn't care about their fate. . At that moment, she realized , I think, she never cared for them and that didn't ever cross her mind about saving them.  I reckon if she was allowed to live she could have seen a broader aspect of life, especially with this scene that predicts a development of her character. 

Nobody was allowed in that field by Daemok. Not even Hwa Gun. She wasn't shown to have the knowledge right from the beginning and deliberately being indifferent to it.The only time she went to that field was to save LS that too secretly. She risked her life by setting her foot there.  She did die while saving LS , the girls and destroying the poppy field. I'd say her character wasn't fully developed. They needed the female lead to shine so deliberately left her character half baked. Like you said her character would have had development if she was allowed to live. However I don't see her as an outright cold hearted selfish villainess .

To be honest Ruler was my first experience to see that kind of conspiracy among fans. I would say it is also one of the reasons Ruler left a bitter taste in my mouth and spoiled a bit my k-drama experience. I understand fan's feelings and disappointment but it is very not proper to malign a k-drama character for the reason your favourite is facing critics because of her character on one hand and another actress got a meatier/ more dynamic and interesting character on the other hand. The " conspiracy" reached a point where MBC got scared by the fandom and disabled the comments section in their instagram account when they posted stills of Hwa Gun ( under every post of Hwa Gun there were hateful comments). 

A while ago, Remember's writer did a in interview and said he felt blessed for working with excellent actors, he named Song Kang Ho ( with whom he worked on Attorney, Lee Jung Ki ( with whom he worked on Lawless lawyer) and Yoo Seung Ho. It made me happy as fan to see his name alongside LJK and SKH :)

link https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0001048179

he said this : "I' m very lucky to work with Song Kang-ho, Yoo Seung-ho and Lee Jun-ki. Really."

Yes I saw it too and couldn't have been more happier. He isn't less than any other actor.He is a complete package.Just  a bit of luck and he'll be in the league of those actors as well.

I wanted to talk about the sentence highlighted above but I didn't want to sound like a petty/ jealous fan  in my previous post :lol:.  So I gave up. Lol  Dont do.You can let it all out if you still want to    This proves acting skills # popularity. I agree with you on this. Some actors on the list have not the acting skills required to back up  their popularity.  As an actor, you can in lightning speed be the #1 but fall hard shortly after. What matters the most is having decent acting skills to stay on top the longest possible and sustain an extended acting career, with fresh and new faces taking the #1 spot. As much as I want YSH to reach the number one spot, I rather he becomes a critically acclaimed actor. And the popularity would be a stepping stone for him to get the best dishes, the best script offers. I don't want  him to be second or third choice of script writers or directors anymore , and in result his talents being wasted in productions like Ruler or I am not a Robot or flames of desire. 

Yeah same here. I want popularity and critical acclamation both for him but yeah I definitely don't want to see his talent being wasted. Flames of Desire wasn't focused on him, he was a second lead there so I'd let it go but ruler and I am not a Robot? not so much. The mediocre scripts like those deserved an average actor not him. Even I want him to be the first choice of directors and script writers and that too good ones. Its beyond me that why the makers aren't utilizing his acting talents and settle for pretty average actors for good projects. They have a gem in their industry and its sad to see them not utilizing it fully. 

New updates

So our Yoo has become a part-time pro drifter and doing competitions B). He is very skilled for a noob, he started drifting one year ago.  I hope to see him in a project about car racing :) 

He must have been practicing really hard for the past year. Maybe now we know what he does when he isn't acting ? lol.  Car racing or not I just want to see him in a good show soon because the top people are not in town. Its a golden opportunity for him. Lets see if his luck decides to finally work the odds in his favour.

Reveal hidden contents

Mod: Do not quote pics

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Berou said:

It's finally past midnight in Korea and YSH's birthday :blush: !

Happy birthday to yoo !

His chinese fanclub created an amazing video for his birthday 

Some talented Yoopies wished a happy birthday through fan edits

YAY!! it's our Mr. Yoo Seung Ho's birthday!! :heart: wish him a long happy life fill of love and success personally and profetionally!! :heart: 

I so loved the fan made videos/edits congratulating him for his birthday!! they were so beautiful!! :wub: 

• Like 1