So Ji Sub 소지섭 - Best Korean Actor & Rapper -

sojisubaddicted

Is it just me... or does anyone else think these two would make a cute couple? ^_^

Both single... both singers... both actors... both similar in age... both beautiful... both unsure about marriage... and both look so cute together. ^_^

0000580270_001_20170719193657231.jpg&typ

0001500063_001_20170719190607395.jpg&typ

0003565346_001_20170626202623762.jpg&typ

When asked if she had marriage plans of her own, Lee Jung Hyun mentioned, "I always do think about it but I'm not sure when I'll get married.  Song Joong Ki was also concerned about me, saying 'Noona, you have to get married soon.'"

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/07/lee-jung-hyun-says-she-was-aware-of-co-star-song-joong-kis-relationship-prior-to-public-announcement

When asked about his thoughts on marriage, So said he has no plans for the time being.  "Until a while ago, I was burdened with the pressure of having to get married. But being over 40 now, I'm finding my current state comfortable," said So, adding that he wants to find a person to date for now.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20170724011100315&site=0200000000&mobile

• Like 4

19 hours ago, myhaneul said:

Is it just me... or does anyone else think these two would make a cute couple? ^_^

Both single... both singers... both actors... both similar in age... both beautiful... both unsure about marriage... and both look so cute together. ^_^

When asked if she had marriage plans of her own, Lee Jung Hyun mentioned, "I always do think about it but I'm not sure when I'll get married.  Song Joong Ki was also concerned about me, saying 'Noona, you have to get married soon.'"

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/07/lee-jung-hyun-says-she-was-aware-of-co-star-song-joong-kis-relationship-prior-to-public-announcement

When asked about his thoughts on marriage, So said he has no plans for the time being.  "Until a while ago, I was burdened with the pressure of having to get married. But being over 40 now, I'm finding my current state comfortable," said So, adding that he wants to find a person to date for now.

http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20170724011100315&site=0200000000&mobile

I feel the same as well @myhaneul for our Jisub ssi....i am hoping for some sparks since the filming timing took about 6mths and there were ample time to build a good relationship. Let's pray for him to be able to find happiness in whatever he endeavours. :wink::wink:

He is definitely young at heart and sweet too. Here's another picture shared on IG (sorry everyone i know that shipping is not allowed by please let this go once). 

On the other hand, yesterday Jisub ssi announced at one of the movie theatre that fans can expect to see him in both Movie and Drama next year... Wow i can't wait for this come. This is definitely his Year... Thank God for looking after him.:)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, salad71 said:

I feel the same as well @myhaneul for our Jisub ssi....i am hoping for some sparks since the filming timing took about 6mths and there were ample time to build a good relationship. Let's pray for him to be able to find happiness in whatever he endeavours. :wink::wink:

He is definitely young at heart and sweet too. Here's another picture shared on IG (sorry everyone i know that shipping is not allowed by please let this go once).

On the other hand, yesterday Jisub ssi announced at one of the movie theatre that fans can expect to see him in both Movie and Drama next year... Wow i can't wait for this come. This is definitely his Year... Thank God for looking after him.:)

Hi salad, oh.............thanks for sharing this info - a drama next year. Looking forward to this. :tongue:

*** This movie is a box-office HIT! Please see below its box-office record. I heard that "The Battleship Island" is one of the more expensive South Korean films ever made. It has a budget of 25 billion won (US$22.3 million).  :tongue:

July 27, 2017

Big opening expected for ‘Battleship Island’

26203752.jpg

“The Battleship Island,” a local World War II film, is set to make an opening day splash on Wednesday, with nearly 600,000 tickets having been reserved on the release date.

According to the computerized tally from the Korean Film Council, the number of ticket reservations for the film stood at 594,370 as of 7 a.m. Wednesday, accounting for 70.1 percent of all movie reservations for the day.

The film, directed by Ryoo Seung-wan and starring Hwang Jung-min, Song Joong-ki and So Ji-sub, is expected to overtake “Dunkirk,” the current No. 1 film at the box office.

“The Mummy,” a Hollywood film starring Tom Cruise, holds the record for the biggest opening day performance in South Korea, drawing in 872,965 moviegoers on its premiere day. “Roaring Currents,” the highest-grossing film in the country to-date, was seen by 682,701 viewers on release day.

“The Battleship Island” is one of the more expensive South Korean films to-date. With a budget of 25 billion won ($22.3 million), the movie has to sell more than 7 million tickets to break even.

The movie has attracted attention since it was first announced for its depiction of the atrocities and ordeals faced by hundreds of forced Korean coal miners and sex slaves on Japan’s Hashima Island, nicknamed “Battleship Island” during World War II.

Yonhap

• Like 3

Check this out... :lol:

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY

20369927_1867957806803069_12765056222025

"The Battleship Island" rounds up 970,000 spectators on the first day

Source | 2017/07/26 | 169 views | Permalink |

The movie "The Battleship Island" set a new opening record with 970,000.

According to the Korean Film Commission, "The Battleship Island" recorded approximately 97,352 audiences on the first day of release on the 26th. Sales went up by 71.4% and the accumulated number including the premieres is 991,811.

Hollywood action movie "The Mummy" starring Tom Cruise recoded 872,965.

"The Battleship Island" was screened in 2,027 theaters 10,174 times. The screen market share was 37.1% while the number of screening market share was 55.3%.

The number of screens for "The Battleship Island" exceeds the number for "Captain America: Civil War" in 2016.

Some criticize the monopoly of "The Battleship Island" here and there.

Director Min Byeong-hoon mentioned this on his SNS and said, "This is madness". He criticized those who criticized the monopoly of "The Battleship Island".

"The Battleship Island" is about the Josun people who risked their lives to escape Batlship Island on which they were held captive during the Japanese Invasion starring Hwang Jeong-min, So Ji-sub, Song Joong-ki and Lee Jung-hyun. The production cost of "The Battleship Island" is 26 billion won (~US$26 million).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, myhaneul said:

Check this out... :lol:

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY

"The Battleship Island" rounds up 970,000 spectators on the first day

Source | 2017/07/26 | 169 views | Permalink |

The movie "The Battleship Island" set a new opening record with 970,000.

According to the Korean Film Commission, "The Battleship Island" recorded approximately 97,352 audiences on the first day of release on the 26th. Sales went up by 71.4% and the accumulated number including the premieres is 991,811.

Hollywood action movie "The Mummy" starring Tom Cruise recoded 872,965.

"The Battleship Island" was screened in 2,027 theaters 10,174 times. The screen market share was 37.1% while the number of screening market share was 55.3%.

The number of screens for "The Battleship Island" exceeds the number for "Captain America: Civil War" in 2016.

Some criticize the monopoly of "The Battleship Island" here and there.

Director Min Byeong-hoon mentioned this on his SNS and said, "This is madness". He criticized those who criticized the monopoly of "The Battleship Island".

"The Battleship Island" is about the Josun people who risked their lives to escape Batlship Island on which they were held captive during the Japanese Invasion starring Hwang Jeong-min, So Ji-sub, Song Joong-ki and Lee Jung-hyun. The production cost of "The Battleship Island" is 26 billion won (~US$26 million).

Hi myhaneul, thanks for sharing the link. Congratulations to “BI” casts and staff. :tongue:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, myhaneul said:

Wow...he is looking more cool and very dashing....gosh i just realised another new tattoo (just between the wordings Let's have fun and love life)...looks like flower petals:huh: or am i wrong? 

8 hours ago, myhaneul said:

Very Handsome! 

Hugo Boss Man of Today... posted some of my favorites.  Click here to see more photos:  http://manoftoday2017.com/kr

Thanks for sharing again....He definitely bagged the title "SO Handsome"....each picture of him just gets better. Especially man in suits...definitely the kinda of style i like most.:):)....Happy Friday and have a good weekend ahead.

July 28, 2017

Film distribution monopoly under fire: Power of CJ and Lotte in Korean movie biz raises eyebrows

The star-studded historical epic “The Battleship Island” opened at an unprecedented 2,027 screens nationwide on Wednesday, accounting for more than 70 percent of the day’s total of 970,900 admissions. With the feat, the CJ E&M-distributed movie, starring Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub and Song Joong-ki, has set a record as the film that has opened at the highest number of screens in the country, beating the record set by 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War,” which opened at 1,991 screens.

Though the record-breaking performance is laudable, the film’s significant box office performance has led to heated discussions about the conglomerate’s monopoly of the local film market, and whether CJ E&M’s vertical integration across distribution and ownership of movie theaters should come to an end.

Over the past few years, conglomerates like CJ Group and Lotte Group have been criticized for dominating screens using their own movie distribution and cinema chain units, depriving films from smaller companies or indie and art-house flicks an opportunity for theatrical debut.

CJ Group owns entertainment giant CJ E&M and South Korea’s biggest cinema chain CJ CGV while Lotte has Lotte Entertainment and Lotte Cinema.

CJ E&M and Lotte Entertainment take up 17.1 percent and 7.6 percent of the film distribution market, ranking first and seventh, respectively. CJ CGV and Lotte Cinema are the top two theater chains in the country and make up 79.8 percent of movie theaters in the entire country.

Discussion over whether these entertainment behemoths should be divested is currently underway. Culture minister Do Jong-hwan proposed a relevant bill in October when he was an opposition legislator. If the bill passes, CJ and Lotte will each have to give up either one of their two movie-related arms. The bill is currently pending at the National Assembly, and aims to solve conglomerates’ “unfair practice of depriving audience’s rights to enjoy diverse movies at theaters.”

Seo Jung, the CEO of CGV, spoke out about the controversy during a media event last week regarding the mid-year performance of the company. “Calls to dismantle [a conglomerate’s] screening and distribution rights based on the U.S. v. Paramount ruling makes me question whether it is correct to judge Korea’s film industry based on a law from 70 years back.”

U.S. v. Paramount, the landmark 1948 anti-trust decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, ended the stranglehold Hollywood studios and distributors had on the U.S. film market. Declaring eight major studios, including Paramount and Warner Bros., a monopoly, the court ordered them to break up the studios’ vertical integration across distribution and ownership of movie theaters.

Seo continued, “I wonder whether a law can catch up with the speed of a rapidly changing industrial environment and technological change,” Seo said. “This kind of regulation and control will shrink Korea’s film industry.”

Some have expressed concerns whether new market entrants would be able to pull off what CJ and Lotte have done if the two choose to keep multi-screen cinema chains upon the passage of the bill.

“Investment and distribution require a lot more trial and error than other industries. The know-how that [CJ and Lotte] have built up over time can’t be ignored,” said a source from film industry who wished to remain anonymous.

But many have stressed the need for breaking the conglomerates’ stronghold on the industry.

“If a distributor also has screening rights, it is very likely to result in a monopoly,” said a source from Cinema Dal, a producer and distributor of independent films.

“Small [independent] movies have a limited chance to screen, unlike [big-budget] commercial movies which are granted a larger number of screenings based on the commercial logic,” the source said.

In order to properly break down the monopoly that dominates Korea’s film industry, lawmakers need to think even further down the road, according to film critic Kim Hyung-seok.

“Though separating distribution rights and cinema ownership is necessary, that itself will not be enough to properly tackle the monopoly.”

Kim further explained the necessity to require multiplex cinemas to screen a certain number of small, independent movies within a certain time period or to boost the government’s support for independent cinemas.

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 3

Now Showing

battleship.jpg

The Battleship Island

The year is 1945, and diverse Koreans head to Japan in order to earn money. However, they unwillingly end up at Battleship Island, where workers are extremely exploited in a mine located 1,000 meters below sea level. As the war nears an end, the Korean workers try to evacuate from the island. Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Times

• Like 4

“The Battleship Island” Cast Thanks Viewers For 5 Million Tickets Sold

The-Battleship-Island-5-million.jpg

“The Battleship Island” has accomplished the feat of reaching over 5 million viewers!

On August 2, a photo of actors Hwang Jung Min, So Ji Sub, Song Joong Ki, Lee Jung Hyun, and Kim Soo Ahn happily holding up a message thanking viewers for the milestone was released.

Film distributor CJ Entertainment revealed that the achievement was met around 9:30 a.m. KST. The film created a new record with reaching 970,000 viewers on its opening night and went on to reach 1 million by the second day, 2 million by the third day, 3 million by the fourth day, and 4 million by the fifth day of release.

“The Battleship Island” is the fastest film to reach 5 million tickets sold in Korea this year. The movie reached this benchmark three days faster than the previous record holder “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” In addition, the film has broken director Ryu Seung Wan’s records with his previous 5 million view records for hit films “Veteran” and “Assassination.”

Meanwhile, “The Battleship Island” is a fictional story based on historical accounts of Japan’s occupation of Korea when countless Koreans were forcibly drafted into the Japanese army.

Source (1) / soompi  news

• Like 4

‘The Battleship Island’ screened for envoys

The Korean film “The Battleship Island” held a screening for UNESCO officials and diplomats in Paris to increase the world’s awareness of the dark history of a Japanese island on which hundreds of Koreans were forced to work as coal miners and sex slaves during World War II, its distributor said Monday.

“We had a special prescreening Friday of ‘The Battleship Island’ at the headquarters of Metropolitan Film Export, the film’s French distributor, with UNESCO officials and Korean diplomats stationed in Paris attending,” CJ Entertainment said in a release.

Among the 30 South Korean diplomats who attended the event were Ambassador to UNESCO Lee Byong-hyun, Ambassador to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Yoon Jong-won, and Park Jae-bum, chief of the Korean Cultural Center in Paris.

Based on the dark history of Hashima Island, better known as Battleship Island after its resemblance to a warship, the movie tells the story of Koreans who risked their lives trying to escape the island. Korea was a colony of Japan from 1910 to 1945.

The South Korean government has confirmed that 122 Koreans died on the island during the war.

Despite Seoul’s diplomatic efforts to prevent it, Hashima Island was added to the UNESCO World Heritage list in July 2015 as a symbol of Japan’s rapid industrialization. UNESCO recommended Tokyo explain its full history to visitors, but no action has yet been taken.

“We organized this event in Paris, where the UNESCO headquarters is located, in order to raise global awareness of the hidden history of an island on the UNESCO world heritage list,” CJ Entertainment said. “We wanted to bring attention to Japan’s failure to implement the UNESCO recommendation.”

The distributor also had a special prescreening of the film for some 160 foreign diplomats in South Korea last Tuesday.

Released on Wednesday, the homegrown blockbuster directed by Ryoo Seung-wan of “Veteran” claimed the top spot on the South Korean weekend box office, attracting more than 4 million people by Sunday. Yonhap

• Like 6

On 7/30/2017 at 8:27 PM, melody1114 said:

SJS is enjoying this.... experience shows. He teases the crowd and in his element. We also enjoys the greetings much as the viewers enjoy the BI movie. Hwaiting!

Credit to owner... 

Hi melody, thanks for sharing this picture.  He surely was having fun..... I'm glad that "The Battleship Island" has reigned at the box office for days since it opened. I heard that it continued setting new records, hitting the 1 million mark just two days after release, & still counting. It is expected to pass the 5 million thresholds today.  In South Korea, average budget films are considered huge box-office successes when they reach the 10 million milestones. Also, this marked the first time in SK that a movie has been released on more than 2,000 screens. The rest of screens went to Hollywood films. I can see that people or audiences' have extremely high interest in the film. :tongue:

• Like 1

August 2, 2017

'The Battleship Island' tops 5 million in admissions on 8th day

SEOUL, Aug. 2 (Yonhap) -- "The Battleship Island," a big-budget South Korean movie, surpassed 5 million in attendance in its home country Wednesday, the eighth day of its run, the film's local distributor said.

The historical action written and directed by Ryoo Seung-wan hit the milestone at 9:30 a.m. in the fastest pace among all films that opened this year, according to CJ Entertainment.

The pace is three days faster than the Hollywood film "Spider-Man: Homecoming" in surpassing 5 million views and two days faster than Ryoo's previous box office hit "Veteran." It, however, is three days slower than "Train to Busan," seen by more than 10 million people last year and two days slower than "Roaring Currents," the most-viewed film ever in South Korea.

"The Battleship Island" is inspired by atrocities and ordeals faced by hundreds of forced Korean coal miners and sex slaves on Hashima Island, located off the coast of the Japanese city of Nagasaki.

Many South Koreans still harbor deep resentment against Japan for its harsh colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945, when many young Korean women were forced to serve as sexual slaves for Japanese soldiers. Several million Koreans were forcibly taken to Japan as laborers during the period.

This image released by CJ E&M shows a scene from "The Battleship Island." (Yonhap)

This image released by CJ E&M shows a scene from "The Battleship Island." (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

(END)

• Like 4

[Box Office] Movies in theaters this week

The Battleship Island
(Korea)
Opened July 26
Drama, action. Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan

Deep in the dark, damp underground tunnels of Hashima Island, hundreds of Korean laborers are forced to mine for coal in deadly conditions by the Japanese. A motley crew of Koreans find themselves on the island -- including band leader Kang-ok (Hwang Jung-min) and his daughter So-hee (Kim Soo-ahn), gang leader Chil-sung (So Ji-sub) and Malnyeon (Lee Jung-hyun), who has been sold as a sex slave. Elite agent Park Moo-young (Song Joong-ki) infiltrates the island on a mission to rescue a prominent independence fighter.

credit : Korea Herald

• Like 3