Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun

Guest mylovelyfamily

Guest suki_*

Eclipse is coming out the 7th. Stephenie Meyer will be on Good Morning America that morning too, so tune in if you're interested in hearing her talk about the book(s) and such.

I think James Franco would make a hot vampire but Stephenie has a rule about the actors not being over 20 =\

Then again, she has no say whatsoever in the movies.

So happy that it's August 7th!

not over 20??? ewwww... i wouldn't want to watch that and it's going to be hard to find someone around that age to be so cool and slick and have those facial features O_O... even though the character is 17, Hollywood always ages the characters in a good way!!!!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest love990024501

So who else has read the book Twilight and/or New Moon?

Eclipse is coming out in about five days and I'm so excited.

Edward Cullen<3

For those of you who haven't yet read the book... well, you should read it. Period.

"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

Click for the Official Website

Guest alicechen

I'm actually surprised that theres a thread about Stephenie Meyer's AWESOME BOOKs!!!

Like many others here, Twilight got me hooked GOOD! One of the first vampire book that made me go "Man, what's next?!"

I loved the way she described EDWARD, I meant the HOT Edward! Too unresistable! Not to forget the ghostly beauty of the vampires!

But Bella is a little disappointing! Sometimes, i just dont get her! But whatever, I enjoyed BOTH books. New Moon is a little slow since beautiful Edward is gone....but I made it to the end. So exciting! The Volturis! (SP??)

Can't wait for the Ellipse!

Guest love990024501

All these suggestions and opinions of what Edward looks like is blurring out my REAL PERFECT VISION OF EDWARD.

It's getting less clearer for me to imagine him out as I used to.

But the funny thing is, lots of people have him have that orangey-brown hair, with a black sexy turtleneck sweater too!

Guest love990024501

Okay, so anyone know where to get the MANGA of it?!

Cuz in Japan, they have the manga version... and it's not fair! We don't have that here. :S

I think I'm the only one who didn't find the book so great.

Don't read this if you don't want this story to fall apart before your eyes.

(I'm talking about Twilight only - haven't read New Moon yet)

I found the characters flimsy, and romance too...chick flick like - fanfic like. Stories written by Solangel, Aramis, and 4tang can probably top this story, but she's the one who published, so what can I say? Edward Cullen, hot? I'm sorry, Yoon Jaewon & Kim Jaejoong is much better. Perhaps Meyes needs to stop thinking about her dream (which Twilight was derrived from), mix a little reality and understand that Bella & Edward need more substance.

I've read many stories better than this (then again, I'm a Lit fanatic - AP English), go to Fictionpress, and there's a lot of vampire fics that make me feel a lot more than this story. But I'll admit it gets better near the end when poor Bella actually gets in dangered (however, sadly only lasts for one chapter). I felt like the connection between Bella and Edward wasn't strong enough. They "fell in love" with the emotions they had for each other - but for each other? Well, that's cause they see each other in a "unique" light. I feel like this story could be refined a bit more. So much more can be emphasized, Meyers could have turned this story into something beautiful rather than something finite.

Certain things like that bugged me. And the names! Especially with the names, it was like Meyers was trying to recreate 18th century romance, but failed dreadfully (read Jane Eyre if you want to be awed). Edward was like is a cheap rip of Edward Rochester. If Meyers wanted to act literary with her original descriptions of Bronte and Shakespeare, she should have tried to be literary and deep rather than "appear so." (After all, she got a degree in English literature) And am I the only who felt that Edward was 2-D? Basically I got this idea out of Meyer's descriptions. Edward feels "cold like marble, smiles, and gets angry," she's not very creative. (OMGAH, forgot to mention - Edward is "godlike" - she must have said that at least 20 times) Bella? Your typical "atypical" teenager - apathetic to the world until she meets marble. Very predictable.

Speaking of depth, really, as far as depth goes, Twilight has only amazed me by the cover and the quote of Bible verses from Genesis. Beautiful cover matched by meaningful verses, and your profound thoughts shall end there. Will someone like to share exactly what the forbidden apple is a symbol of? Their relationship? Assuming that in Eclipse, Bella and Edward separate, there may be a stroke of genius there...but who knows? The knowledge that Edward is a vampire? Hardly compared to the eternal damnation Adam and Eve were subjected to (although Bella might describe it that way).

Meyers didn't put vampires in a new light for me...I guess because I've been reading stories like this that have appeared since 2003+ only they have not been published. But as someone would say, yeah, she's the first one to get discovered for doing so, so I applaud that.

Maybe I've expected too much, but Bella's emotions were the same, Edward's emotions were the same...it pretty much allowed me to skim (very bad) and not miss a thing. I expect Meyers to be love-able for teenagers, but up against full-time critics, the novel may crumble. (Not that I'm one, but hey, Harry Potter was slaughtered by critics (from book 4 onwards), and I highly doubt Meyers surpasses Rowling.) The saddest part is I can tell the amount of passion and devotion Meyers put into this story, and perhaps readers can feel it too, that's why it's so popular, but I have to admit, Twilight...is a fleeting fixation.

+ edit // Good points - Beautiful cover. Edward speaks with words that can make a girl's heart jump, hell he's been living 100+ years - he better. Slow plot, but the chances of someone dying really heightens the story. Meyers has a fair range of vocabulary so that this story is actually placed for older teens and I don't feel dumb reading it. She doesn't leave open endings.

My rating?

2.5/5 -- or 7/10

Pure entertainment rating?

3/5 --- 7.5/10

It feels low, but I don't think it's worth higher....> <;;;

However, I'll pick up New Moon, hoping that there's more development, because from the start, the idea of Bella growing up and Edward staying young has intrigued me more than either of them loving each other forever. *Time Traveler's Wife moment! Claire at 80, Henry at 43 - cries - * I'm guessing it will be better...just cause. Twilight was a slow, sappy read. I hope it gets better, because if it doesn't, I suggest Meyers to leave vampire fics to Anna Rice and Elizabeth Kostova.

----

arthemitis fowl or whatever (i forgot what it's called, but I can always recognize the cover) and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight book....

Artemis Fowl -

Now that's a book I loved as a freshman.

Twilight pales compared to Fowl - but

there's less "sexual tension" seeing as

Artemis Fowl is not a romance whatsoever.

Blah, who am I kidding? Sexual tension* was

CRAP in Twilight - Edward must be a virgin

cause he's not very good at it.

Artemis Fowl book 1 was great. The rest were

good as well, just not as mindblowing because

the concept is already introduced. Now you thought

Meyers portrayed vampires differently (although she didn't)

wait till you see how Eoin Colfer portrays your fairy world.

And his story actually portrays ...morals/whatnot.

Hi Jess!

*Good sexual tension can be found in Draco/'Mione fics! xP + Jane Eyre - and if you want me to admit 1984 had better sexual tension that Twilight, and that's a political book for crying out loud!

Ugh, I just had to write that because I thought this book wasn't that great, neither worth the hype.

Now someone's gonna haattee me ...for a while.

Oh well.

+edit again - I've discovered that this book is popular because everyone wants their own Edward. He's a very ...*british terms* shaggable character. Here we go, play the "dark" prince charming card. I can see why no one wants their own Henry (Time Traveler's Wife)...(hell, fairytale princes don't have a name)...their own Iono or something...but Edward is just too...marble! (I'm sorry, I just loved how she uses that description 398092 times *exaggeration*)

Guest ulynn

I think I'm the only one who didn't find the book so great.

Edward Cullen, hot? I'm sorry, Yoon Jaewon & Kim Jaejoong is much better.

Oh well.

edit

LOL. we're on the same side :lol: :lol:

my whole school's kinda crazy over twilight and edward. (hello, a fictional character?!)

all the " no edward is mine!" , "I love edward" -.-

so i decided to buy the book and read it (also to see if its as ncie as what everyone says)

I got kinda irritated when reading from bella's POV, her emotions are so simple and it kinda bored me.

i ended up skipping quite abit of the story.

i'm skipping new moon and maybe try reading eclispe.

lol i did read a few pages of new moon, and its one draggy story.

Guest b a n g!

i thought twilight was really good and loved it but new moon was really draggy so not thatt excited about eclipse but ill probably read it

Guest heartxbroadcast

dude. these books are so great.

edward is so freaking hot.

wow. wowowowwwowowowlwwwoww.w.

i can't wait for eclipse to come out!

Guest COUNTERACT

i agree with dearskye.~ don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed the book...but i've read a lot of vampire type fanfiction which is pretty much in par with twilight

but it's a different feeling holding up a physical book in your hand and just reading off a computer screen...

i'm not really feeling bella's personality at times either..but there is so much tension in the novel, which makes me really enjoy it and keep waiting for the next..

Guest love990024501

Yoon Jaewon & Kim Jaejoong? But what's wrong with falling in love with a fictional character? To most people, he would certainly be godlike in appearance since they're supposed to vision Edward according to their standards of what's beautiful. It would be wrong to say Edward is not hot too though, after all, he's a fictional character.

And you say Yoon Jaewon & Kim Jaejoong = hot?

I agree, but I'm sorry your imaginations didn't take place while reading the book.

Because supposedly, Edward is supposed to be super uber hot.

And I don't know, it could be cuz I'm not a fan of fan-fics at all. I think it's all so... hard to imagine my Korean lovers (celebrities) speaking perfect English and being so somewhat westernized. I'd rather read so-sul (소설) on Korean websities. They're love.

Guest sarah_luisa

wahhh :w00t:

I just bought TWILIGHT the other day and finish this morning

and bought NEW MOON today - gonna finish tomorrow

and

BUY

ECLIPSE on tuesday.. gah!!!

s0 excited..

EDWARD is s0 h0t... I think Emmet is h0t too---just kind of hot tempered

Archived