Digital Perm!

hanie

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

^yup samee, I twirl it and then scrunch up the coil.

heeyyy you guys it's been a while..!! haha

It's been about 2 months since I got my perm and here's my update with more picturesss :D

I LOVE IT MORE THAN EVER~ feels like curly hair is just a part of me now haha. I look at my before pictures with super straight hair and I'm just like o__o LOL

I've found that this style works best if you shower in the morning and let it air dry. With college lifestyle I have no problem with that, but this might be too time consuming for anyone with normal 8AM classes. I'm sure there's a way to blow dry them, but I don't know how since for me that usually ends up with few curls and lots of frizz XD

If you just shower at night though, you can just rewet + twirl + scrunch your hair in the morning with water at the sink or something. The result won't be as curly as if you take a shower in the morning, but it still works out fine as you can see by the picture! ^__^

Your curls can be pretty versatile depending on how you style them. I still do the same: blot/scrunch towel dry, wait a bit, apply curling gel, and twist/scrunch my hair into 8 sections (on each side, 3 for top layers and 1 big one for bottom layers).

59fbad95.png

Shower in the morning + twisting and keeping the coils in tact

EDIT: woahh for some reason in this picture it looks like I have black roots growing in LOL TT__TT ... that's my natural hair color ;_;

90535155.png

Shower at night + rewet/twist in the morning on a really good hair day haha :3

8b670e57.jpg

Shower in the morning + lazy twisting + wind blown hair from riding my bike LOL

Guest Phloxsofee

DANG, Xindi, I am unbelievably jealous of your hair. :lol:

I'm waiting to grow my hair out and layer it since I have thick hair. I kind of want to get a digital perm after I grow it out, but I have this odd need to have it straight some days, and wavy some other days. I've gotten a regular perm before and wasn't too satisfied with it due to the length of my hair -_-

Guest Ryojikari

^

It's been about 2 months since I got my perm and here's my update with more picturesss :D

I LOVE IT MORE THAN EVER~ feels like curly hair is just a part of me now haha. I look at my before pictures with super straight hair and I'm just like o__o LOL

I've found that this style works best if you shower in the morning and let it air dry. With college lifestyle I have no problem with that, but this might be too time consuming for anyone with normal 8AM classes. I'm sure there's a way to blow dry them, but I don't know how since for me that usually ends up with few curls and lots of frizz XD

If you just shower at night though, you can just rewet + twirl + scrunch your hair in the morning with water at the sink or something. The result won't be as curly as if you take a shower in the morning, but it still works out fine as you can see by the picture! ^__^

Your curls can be pretty versatile depending on how you style them. I still do the same: blot/scrunch towel dry, wait a bit, apply curling gel, and twist/scrunch my hair into 8 sections (on each side, 3 for top layers and 1 big one for bottom layers).

59fbad95.png

90535155.png

8b670e57.jpg

Wow, my hair's just like yours lol XD, only I don't have bangs. I totally get the whole morning shower thing, mine gets so flat after sleeping. Blow-drying isn't really the best opt since it kinda frizzes due to the heat so I let mine air dry as well. So far I only use VO5 mousse, how many products do you pet on your curls? I don't want to put alot since it weighs it down. :-/

^thanks guys!! :D

@Phloxsofee I'm pretty sure you're allowed to straighten your hair every once in a while, it should become curly again once you get it wet :o

@Ryojikari haha we're hair twins!! XD

Mousse never works for me, it's either heavy or doesn't do anything for curls T__T I use two pumps of Redken's Fresh Curls Spray Gel and that's it! it says spray gel but it doesn't work to spritz into your hair XD I spray it once into my hand, rub it to spread over my palms, scrunch it into my hair, and then repeat for the other side. the gel is kinda pricey (though I got it on sale for $8 8D) but it should last you a really long time!

Guest eightdoubleone

Hey, so I wanted to get a digital perm. I went to a salon a few months back and told me that I should wait till my hair grows so that it reaches my belly button but I kind of dont want to wait that long. My hair looks icky right now but I don't want to cut it since i want to get the perm. if my hair is entirely past my shoulders, only touching my back, it reaches my waist. If I move it forward and it cascades over the front of my body, it just barely reaches my waist. Should I wait longer so it will grow out more or is it fine? I know they need to cut off the split ends too so >_<

^Well, if it touches your waist already, I don't see why they suggested you to wait some more. If you want the long perms, you hair should be around waist length.

I have a short bob perm right now. So really, it shouldn't matter what length your hair is to get a digital perm...

Guest DailyMelody

Wow everyone of you has such beautiful hair, wish I could get

a digital perm. But I don't think it's suited for my hair 'cause I'm

interracial and have african-american hair, I just make waves the

good ol' fashion way with a curling iron and a comb! XD

Guest seraph022

Lol, wow, so I must be the only Asian (100% Chinese) in this thread with natural curly/wavy hair. I was actually born with straight, sleek hair until I was 10-12 years old when my hair started to gain A LOT of volume and waves/curls. I had tried to perm it straight for about 2-3 times....but it never worked and I always outgrew those perms. It can be really frustrating to deal with the frizz and the like other curly/wavy hair women commonly face. I never brush my hair. I just let it detangle in the shower, and then apply aloe vera gel to style it and then a curling cream to tame my curls/waves. No one else I know in my family has the hair I do. =/ 

So I'm actually thinking about getting Brazilian Blow out for a coupon at discounted price I got to tame and straighten my hair. It could end up looking good on me! xD Here's few pics of me with my hair.

n564928796_698357_6648.jpg26522_384607393796_564928796_4064121_1721559_n.jpg

(I'm on the right side....see my hair?!?!)

^@seraph022 Lol actually there's a couple people who posted in this thread saying they have hair naturally wavy/curly like that. I'm so jealousss XD my cousin has naturally wavy hair too! For years she fought it with a straightener and straight perms, but now she just embraces her natural waves :D

I haven't ever combed my hair since having curly hair either!! HAHA it's great 8)

Hey, so I wanted to get a digital perm. I went to a salon a few months back and told me that I should wait till my hair grows so that it reaches my belly button but I kind of dont want to wait that long. My hair looks icky right now but I don't want to cut it since i want to get the perm. if my hair is entirely past my shoulders, only touching my back, it reaches my waist. If I move it forward and it cascades over the front of my body, it just barely reaches my waist. Should I wait longer so it will grow out more or is it fine? I know they need to cut off the split ends too so >_<

if you have any split ends, you should expect them to be cut because a perm really magnifies how damaged they are ;__; honestly I would just get the perm with whatever length you have~ if your hair is too thin to hold the weight of lots of curls like mines was, you might actually end up cutting off a lot of the length that you had been growing out. If not, just remember your hair will continue growing even after you get the perm. My hair has gotten soo longg since my perm without me even realizing it, and I have no idea how to get it trimmed since I never comb it XD

• 2 weeks later...

xindi: Your hair looks gorgeous! I have thin hair like yours too and my hair stylist told me that if you need your hair to dry off more quickly, blowdry till it's only about 30-40% dry (with the medium setting, don't switch it hot), rub some mousse between your palms and fingers and twirl your hair. It won't be as damaging and your hair will look more moisturized without looking "wet" when its air-dried.

Hello!! I recently got a setting perm thinking it was a digital perm until I read this thread! Haha I'm not really happy with the results just because the stylist layered my hair too short! I mean I still have the long length but the top looks sorta like a mushroom! Plus Ive been too lazy to keep up my curls and had no idea I'm not suppose to blow dry or comb it! Haha funny thing is at first I really regret getting the setting perm and even straighten my hair! Lol

but anyways I was wondering how long do i have to wait until i can get a digital perm? This time I will so grow my hair out! :)

Guest MissLOVE.x

^

[img 59fbad95.png

EDIT: woahh for some reason in this picture it looks like I have black roots growing in LOL TT__TT ... that's my natural hair color ;_;

[img://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg168/scrapingskies/digital%20perm/90535155.png

[im 8b670e57.jpg

Your hair is so pretty! XD Hahaha, may I ask where you got your perm? :)

Im planning to get one.. just dont know where ^-^

Hahaha,since my hair is dead straight, I dont know if it will be the same after perm

^ㅇ^

Guest Rainie Yu

So prettiee!

My hair is around shoulder length but I want to grow it out to about chest-length and get either digital perm or japanese straightening.

>_< My hair is super thick and a mix of straight, curly, and wavy hair!

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good hair salon in San Francisco? It has to be a legit place and had a successful digital perm there :) I'm planning on flying up to CA in early January. Please PM me about it.

@ Xindi: Your hair is gorgeous! I want mine like that but a little less curly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*SCROLL DOWN* on this page for an update for digiperm w/ HAIRCUT! :)

xindi: Your hair looks gorgeous! I have thin hair like yours too and my hair stylist told me that if you need your hair to dry off more quickly, blowdry till it's only about 30-40% dry (with the medium setting, don't switch it hot), rub some mousse between your palms and fingers and twirl your hair. It won't be as damaging and your hair will look more moisturized without looking "wet" when its air-dried.

I'm sorry for my SUUUPER late reply but I've been doing this and it really does make your curls smoother + the right kind of loose curl! thank you! :D

Can you swim when you get the perm? Just askin :sweatingbullets: Does it get damaged?

I'm fairly sure the chemicals in the pool would affect the chemicals from the perm (I forgot where I read it, but I recall some story about a girl who got an Asian mom perm as a kid and swam everyday to get rid of it haha) but you should always ask your stylist to be sure!

Anyway I'm BAAACK just to update a recent discovery! with digiperm, your hair is a lot more easily affected by those overnight/no-heat curl methods. My hair is naturally very stubbornly straight, so any kind of overnight bun, braid, etc. would give a very limp curl that would disappear within an hour.

Anyway after a rush morning with my hair slightly damp and untwisted, I put it into a french braid and here's there result at the end of the day! It's more loose wave than curly like it usually is. yaaay :D

47532e77.jpg

HAIR MONSTER AHH

curls in a digital perm are really easily to manipulate the way you want them to be. you just have to figure out how! :)

Guest Veeneee

im thinking about a digital perm but my hair is naturally wavy. not the nice waves like you girls .. but more of a frizzy straight hair but the ends of it flip inwards, out and all over the place. .. right now im still with my straightening perm that i got back in august, but was wondering if i should get a loose curl perm.. or will that wash off and become waves within a week?

Archived