Digital Perm!

hanie

Guest xindi

^thanks for your help but were you trying to reply to mynameismonica? haha, I know the difference between the perms, I read through this wholeee thread! XD I am getting a digital perm and I meant that people with digital perms got mixed results, sorry if I wasn't clear~

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^thanks for your help but were you trying to reply to mynameismonica? haha, I know the difference between the perms, I read through this wholeee thread! XD I am getting a digital perm and I meant that people with digital perms got mixed results, sorry if I wasn't clear~

o okay i misunderstood your post

Guest deeism

ive gotten it done two years ago and then just a couple weeks ago. i kind of regret getting it done lol..... but it does look really nice when im not lazy and take the time to style it properly.

i always have to twist my hair while i'm blow drying, or else it'd turn out like dry dry dry hay. my first one lasted about 6 months, but i ended up chopping my hair off cos it was sooo damaged. to the point where i couldnt even brush my hair..

Guest lockettex3

^ i heard about that kind of stuff happening as well. my friend got really frustrated with her's she got it permed straight but it was so damaged that she ended up getting it cut as well. digital perms require a lot of maintenance, that's something that needs to be considered.

Guest xindi

Quick question to everyone with a digital perm, do you guys shower at morning or night?

-__- I've always loved showering at night... can't wake up early enough to shower before going somewhere, plus I dont like the idea of all the dirts collecting on my pillow/bedsheets. But since I got a digiperm, it has to be styled when it's wet, and it gets flattened during my sleep! I think I need to switch to morning showers ;_;

(btw, I'll be updating this thread with my digiperm experience in a week or so :) )

Guest VancityGirl

<!--quoteo(post=15959528:date=May 25 2010, 06:55 AM:name=SeLcaQueen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SeLcaQueen @ May 25 2010, 06:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=15959528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your hair looks uber thick. Is it?? Or it's just the way you styled your hair?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Trebuchet MS--><span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS"><!--/fonto-->Yes, I have naturally thick hair. I also use a lot of products to give it volume so that adds effect. <!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

what size rollers did u use? i'm in love with ur hair!

Guest SeLcaQueen

Quick question to everyone with a digital perm, do you guys shower at morning or night?

-__- I've always loved showering at night... can't wake up early enough to shower before going somewhere, plus I dont like the idea of all the dirts collecting on my pillow/bedsheets. But since I got a digiperm, it has to be styled when it's wet, and it gets flattened during my sleep! I think I need to switch to morning showers ;_;

(btw, I'll be updating this thread with my digiperm experience in a week or so :) )

Morning. Even before I had my hair permed. But that's because that's my routine. Taking a bath in the morning before leaving the house.

Guest againlight

wow! your dig perm came out nice!

i got it once, it.. didn't come out so well.. my hair is thick & doesn't like to listen

for me, to get a nice perm, the reg old fashioned grandma type perm worked the best hehe ^^

Guest xindi

Morning. Even before I had my hair permed. But that's because that's my routine. Taking a bath in the morning before leaving the house.

thanks for your reply! :)

wow! your dig perm came out nice!

i got it once, it.. didn't come out so well.. my hair is thick & doesn't like to listen

for me, to get a nice perm, the reg old fashioned grandma type perm worked the best hehe ^^

Really!! I thought thick hair was ideal for a digital perm D: In fact someone in this thread said something about having it fall out after a few days, so she had to come back and get it re-done, and this ended up giving her a perm that lasted a year.

for me, my hair was too fine so not only did they have to cut off a huge chunk of my long hair ;__; but also I couldn't get *super big* curls, and it's not likely my perm will last long... sadface

Guest meetsteffanie

is it okay to get a digital perm when you have rebonded your hair last year?

cause i really planned to get one but i'm afraid that

the curls will be gone in 3 days or 1 week. T^T

Guest hkukaudition

I had my hair permed a year after i had it straightened and the perm lasted about 2 years or maybe just less than that.

=)

Guest ling_ling

HELLO!

I was wondering if anyone could help :D

I am going to Hong Kong in a coupel of days and wanted to get a digital perm :D ! i was just wondering where would be a good place to go?? I know theres MILLIONS (literally) of hair salons in HK but i wanted to know good places to go - i usually just go to ones in TaiPo because thats where I live when i go back so its easier to just go there but last time i went, when i asked for a digi perm i just got a normal perm ... it did look good but like it wasnt rly what i wanted so i wanna go somewhere more professional!!

I was thinking mikami coco cos ive seen results and it looks alright  but like... what does everyone recommend?!

Guest xindi

^I don't have any recommendations D: just advice, REALLY make sure you get a good stylist. I saw in this thread somewhere someone mentioning a cheap $30 perm in HK resulted in frizzy, bad curls from a digital perm!

you should call your stylist to make sure (: depending on your hair and what it's been through, it seems this can really affect the outcome of your perm! For example, anyone who's had a Japanese straightening perm would have issues with their digital perm (lol I only overheard my stylist on the phone, not sure what else she said but I picked up "you can have a perm, but the curls won't turn out as nice." This is because those chemicals from a Japanese straightening perm continue to straighten your hair apparently~)

Guest xindi

EDIT: See page 41 for an update and more pictures after 2 months (:

page 42 for 7 months + a haircut

Hi Soompi! I've been in and out of this digiperm thread for so long, and now I can actually contribute :)

HOWEVER, this is only part 1 of my experience. The upper half of my hair didn't take to the perm :( so only the bottom has curled correctly lol. My re-perm is this Saturday (for free! yay), so expect me again in a while~

First of all, ANYONE WHO IS GROWING OUT THEIR HAIR FOR A DIGIPERM… you should get a consultation first. If your hair is too thin like mine, they're just going to cut a bunch off anyway because it will be too heavy to hold up big curls. Just a heads up :(

Day 1, before + right after perm:

e97c8286.png

Day 2 (you can see in the front that some parts loosened up a lot, mostly cuz of how I slept.. so don't panic if that happens lol, it will curl after you wash!)

6c98c631.png

Day 4, after wash:

ef331551.png

1 week:

d3529f4b.png

2 weeks ( you can see in the side view that the top half isn't curled)

fb0d2455.png

Damage: The first 4 days (after wash), my hair didn't feel any different, though the ends were a bit fried. It barely compared to the damage I wreaked on my hair when I began learning how to curl with a flat iron haha! 2 weeks later, with my usual routine of Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask (once a week) + Aussie Moist Conditioner (everyday otherwise), my hair is still soft and healthy! :) It's SO NICE having curls that feel soft rather than stiff from products/hair spray. Keep in mind my hair is thin and susceptible to damage, so I'm really happy with that!!

Also for anyone wondering about smell, mines had a weak chemical smell that faded after the first day :) Depends on your stylist though!

Styling: I never blow dry or towel dry my hair the way I used to. I flip my hair upside down and scrunch with a towel so that the water is only blotted, NOT rubbed out. After that, I twirl each section into a curly rope and leave it to air dry. When it's fully dry, I just shake it out with my fingers to loosen up the curls. I never comb it, maybe some finger combing in the shower during conditioner but that's it lol~ I don't use any products either, but I'm thinking about testing out some curling mousses :D

Results: I used the second to biggest curlers, and the part of my hair that DID curl I am happy with! And again, it's really nice to have soft curls without any heat or products :) I really don't have full results since I'm getting my re-perm this Saturday. The only thing I'm UNHAPPY with, is that I had to switch to morning showers T___T My perm completely flattens when I sleep lol ;_;

Time/Cost: My digiperm took 3 hours, which wasn't so bad since I brought a book haha~ I got a package deal of $150 for cut/wash/perm without tip, which I guess is a moderate price… prices really depend on where you go. It tends to be more expensive outside of Asia :X

Advice: (1) Digital perm is not accommodating to all hair types. If you are thinking about a digiperm, go in for a consultation before hand!! While there are a lot of beautiful styles that can be achieved with a digital perm, there are certain hair types that may not even be able to take to it. For instance, thinner hair can't have huge curls OR super long hair, and anyone with a Japanese straightening perm may have trouble getting a digiperm. For me, besides the fact that I had thin hair, I also had problems due to my hair being completely virgin to chemical treatments. My stylist said the second time around, the perm would come out much better. Anyone who has thick hair will probably have the best experience lol, you guys are so lucky T__T

(2) Go to a good stylist!! If you live in U.S., use yelp.com and search "digital perm" in your area… read the reviews and make sure you get a good job! Reading through this entire thread, I found that a bad stylist can definitely mess up your hair. Oh, and make sure your stylist cuts your hair AFTER the perm… idk why some (mines included) did it before the perm, this method just leaves you with fried ends anyway -_-

(3) To make your perm last longer, don't expose it to heated styling products (including blow dryer), don't towel dry by rubbing, and let your hair air dry as much as possible. Always scrunch your hair after a shower. I really don't know any other tips, but I'm sure there are more haha :D

OMG SO LONGGG sorry about that, I hope this was helpful to someone XD

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to help! :)

..this is probably the longest I've ever gone without using a curling iron since I learned how to curl hair LOL

Guest evechuaszeyin

@xindi: I like your curls =)

Hie girls, I've got really straight hair. Whenever i go to the salon and get curls done for an event (2 hours before)..half of the curls starts to go straight even before i'm at the event.

I'm seriously considering to digital perm it...but not sure if i should go with big curls as I'm afraid it won't last long. but i do not want tiny lil curls either...=p

p/s: can someone tell me, is my hair long enough to achieve curls like xindi's?

4820876926_7ab25ca3d2.jpg

Guest xindi

^@evechuaszeyin thanks! :) Judging by your picture, the longest hair is on the side with the flower, right? They cut like 3-5 inches off that first 'before' picture, so I think I had approximately that length. You would probably have curls as long as mine, maybe a little shorter. My stylist said that with loose curls, they don't actually take off much length after it fully loosens in 2 weeks.. though I couldn't really tell since they cut off my original length XD For big curls not lasting, it just depends on your hair type~ Though they do have multiple roller sizes more than just small/large. I actually got my digiperm as another lady was finishing hers, and she got medium-sized rollers :) good luck!

Guest evechuaszeyin

went to the salon today, stylist suggested that I wait out bit for my hair to grow longer. Just got the coloring job done & a hair cut (trimmed abt 3 inches off) instead of curls =(

Anyways, the stylist was nice enough to curl my hair ..so i can see what's the length like if i do curl my hair at my current length.

4834635608_560a889bd9.jpg

^@evechuaszeyin thanks! :) Judging by your picture, the longest hair is on the side with the flower, right? They cut like 3-5 inches off that first 'before' picture, so I think I had approximately that length. You would probably have curls as long as mine, maybe a little shorter. My stylist said that with loose curls, they don't actually take off much length after it fully loosens in 2 weeks.. though I couldn't really tell since they cut off my original length XD For big curls not lasting, it just depends on your hair type~ Though they do have multiple roller sizes more than just small/large. I actually got my digiperm as another lady was finishing hers, and she got medium-sized rollers :)  good luck!

Guest Pieceratops

This is a longshot, but does anyone know of a salon in minnesota (I live about an hour south of minneapolis, but there would be fine) that offers digital perms?? Searching google and yelp didn't turn up anything for me :(

Guest Chinesexgirlxmongolia

Hi Soompi! I've been in and out of this digiperm thread for so long, and now I can actually contribute :)

HOWEVER, this is only part 1 of my experience. The upper half of my hair didn't take to the perm :( so only the bottom has curled correctly lol. My re-perm is this Saturday (for free! yay), so expect me again in a while~

First of all, ANYONE WHO IS GROWING OUT THEIR HAIR FOR A DIGIPERM… you should get a consultation first. If your hair is too thin like mine, they're just going to cut a bunch off anyway because it will be too heavy to hold up big curls. Just a heads up :(

Day 1, before + right after perm:

e97c8286.png

Day 2 (you can see in the front that some parts loosened up a lot, mostly cuz of how I slept.. so don't panic if that happens lol, it will curl after you wash!)

6c98c631.png

Day 4, after wash:

ef331551.png

1 week:

d3529f4b.png

2 weeks ( you can see in the side view that the top half isn't curled)

fb0d2455.png

Damage: The first 4 days (after wash), my hair didn't feel any different, though the ends were a bit fried. It barely compared to the damage I wreaked on my hair when I began learning how to curl with a flat iron haha! 2 weeks later, with my usual routine of Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask (once a week) + Aussie Moist Conditioner (everyday otherwise), my hair is still soft and healthy! :) It's SO NICE having curls that feel soft rather than stiff from products/hair spray. Keep in mind my hair is thin and susceptible to damage, so I'm really happy with that!!

Also for anyone wondering about smell, mines had a weak chemical smell that faded after the first day :) Depends on your stylist though!

Styling: I never blow dry or towel dry my hair the way I used to. I flip my hair upside down and scrunch with a towel so that the water is only blotted, NOT rubbed out. After that, I twirl each section into a curly rope and leave it to air dry. When it's fully dry, I just shake it out with my fingers to loosen up the curls. I never comb it, maybe some finger combing in the shower during conditioner but that's it lol~ I don't use any products either, but I'm thinking about testing out some curling mousses :D

Results: I used the second to biggest curlers, and the part of my hair that DID curl I am happy with! And again, it's really nice to have soft curls without any heat or products :) I really don't have full results since I'm getting my re-perm this Saturday. The only thing I'm UNHAPPY with, is that I had to switch to morning showers T___T My perm completely flattens when I sleep lol ;_;

Time/Cost: My digiperm took 3 hours, which wasn't so bad since I brought a book haha~ I got a package deal of $150 for cut/wash/perm without tip, which I guess is a moderate price… prices really depend on where you go. It tends to be more expensive outside of Asia :X

Advice: (1) Digital perm is not accommodating to all hair types. If you are thinking about a digiperm, go in for a consultation before hand!! While there are a lot of beautiful styles that can be achieved with a digital perm, there are certain hair types that may not even be able to take to it. For instance, thinner hair can't have huge curls OR super long hair, and anyone with a Japanese straightening perm may have trouble getting a digiperm. For me, besides the fact that I had thin hair, I also had problems due to my hair being completely virgin to chemical treatments. My stylist said the second time around, the perm would come out much better. Anyone who has thick hair will probably have the best experience lol, you guys are so lucky T__T

(2) Go to a good stylist!! If you live in U.S., use yelp.com and search "digital perm" in your area… read the reviews and make sure you get a good job! Reading through this entire thread, I found that a bad stylist can definitely mess up your hair. Oh, and make sure your stylist cuts your hair AFTER the perm… idk why some (mines included) did it before the perm, this method just leaves you with fried ends anyway -_-

(3) To make your perm last longer, don't expose it to heated styling products (including blow dryer), don't towel dry by rubbing, and let your hair air dry as much as possible. Always scrunch your hair after a shower. I really don't know any other tips, but I'm sure there are more haha :D

OMG SO LONGGG sorry about that, I hope this was helpful to someone XD

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to help! :)

..this is probably the longest I've ever gone without using a curling iron since I learned how to curl hair LOL

Youre hair is super nice! MY hair is sort of like yours..I have hair about the same length as yours (maybe a bit longer... but im due for a cut soon) and my hair is thin as well..... but the damage and split ends are from dying my hair.. i dont really curl it.. I like the curly hair look.. but im not sure... how much was your perm??? i hope to see pics of the re-perm

Guest Shiroiyuki

I got a digital perm last year in the summer, and it's lasted a year...it may not be curlier than before, but my hair is more wavy now.

This was a pic 2 months after my perm:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Rain...3/Picture11.jpg

4-6 months:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Rain...Picture7651.jpg

Recently 8 months:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Rain.../moto_01351.jpg

So my curls are still holding...I just do a lot of scrunching after a shower, no products...and I haven't brushed my hair in a year, except for my bangs O.o.  Now my hair has grown down to my lower back.  I would say a digital perm is well worth it if you go to a really good place.  I got mine done at a Koreantown salon in China, and it was around $70 CAD.

I LOVE YOUR CURLS!!!!!! Really, I do! What's the name of the store???

I'm having some doubts about getting a perm because my hair is already curly (it's actually wild, messy and wavy). Won't my hair be more messy when I get a perm?

Archived