cause mine i got it done last june 2009 and

i really want to get a digital perm this june or july,

is it okay? will the curls last longer ? or not? please help

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest waetoriya

I have a question. I have really curly hair naturally, but I find my curls to be too tight for my liking. Also, when it dries, it's always a hit or miss. it either dries relatively nice or its a huge frizzy mess. Does anyone know if its okay to get a digital perm (loose waves) on naturally really curly hair?

Yup. You can. I did a digital perm about a month ago. My hair is also naturally curly and it's quite frizzy when dry. Your hairstylist will give you a digital perm with big rollers, to make ur curls looser and slightly bigger. After the perm, my hair has a better formation and it's more neater. You have to take care of your hair well and such. :)

Guest Kate

Of course. I've been adding CHI's Volume Booster when my hair is still a bit damp, blowdrying upside down, and then finally spraying Big Sexy Hair all over my hair to finish off.

Do you happen to remember the name of your stylist?

Guest StellarEffect

QUOTE (AsianBamboo @ Jun 1 2010, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you happen to remember the name of your stylist?
Ermm, she was a short Spanish woman who couldn't speak English. Honestly, I don't even think she was an actual stylist because she was taking directions from some man.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mui Mui1430273568

Ahh! My hair feels so dry! I only wash it every other day now to prevent it from drying out even more. What should I do? I always use conditioner when I was it and then when it's wet, I put in some anti-frizz serum but that's it.

Help?!?

-dianne

Guest starrie

^ Usually it's limited to Korean/Japanese salons.

Does anyone have any pictures of digital permed hair that's around shoulder length or a bit past the shoulders? I'm considering getting it done around that length but I'm not really sure how it's going to turn out... I have long hair that was digi permed (it's growing out now) so I want to get it cut and opt for another a shorter style.

EDIT: NVM, just went and got it done. :D

Guest Koutarou

Hey guys, how long do you recommend your hair to be before getting a digital perm?

Would a digital perm look bad on hair that's about two inches below the collar bone?

I'm really sick of my straight hair, but I'm worried that a perm would make it POOF up!

I want small waves in my hair, so if they used the small rollers in my hair, would it end up looking weird?

This is kind of what I'm going for:

2jb4fwn.jpg

Guest xindi

^I saw this replied in this topic somewhere before, but you can't get that effect with a digital perm unless you let it loosen up for months haha. There is such a thing as a wavy perm, try looking into that :)

Guest starrie

Hey guys, how long do you recommend your hair to be before getting a digital perm?

Would a digital perm look bad on hair that's about two inches below the collar bone?

I'm really sick of my straight hair, but I'm worried that a perm would make it POOF up!

I want small waves in my hair, so if they used the small rollers in my hair, would it end up looking weird?

This is kind of what I'm going for:

2jb4fwn.jpg

xindi is right, you won't be able to achieve that kind of look with a digi perm unless you let it loosen up and by then it will be much longer than that length.

I originally long hair that was digi permed and it kinda grew out so I decided to try another style. I cut my hair short, around 2 inches below my collar bone like yours is and got it digi permed at that length. It's not like SUPER poofy ... I wish I could show you a picture but my camera isn't working right now. :(

Er, I'll do my best to describe it. Basically since it's permed now it reaches around my collarbones and there's obviously more volume towards the bottom of my hair.. but I wanted it to be really like full like that. The shape is kind of like a ... mushroom? (Kind of like this, just more of a spiral curl.)I suck at explaining but it really does depend on how you want it styled. If you make it less full towards the bottom (i.e layered hair), you get a look that's completely different like this. The place I went to, the ahjumma doing my hair gave me a japanese hair magazine with different digital perm hairstyles and basically all of them were more towards the 'layered' type.

Guest Koutarou

^I saw this replied in this topic somewhere before, but you can't get that effect with a digital perm unless you let it loosen up for months haha. There is such a thing as a wavy perm, try looking into that :)

Yeah, I was worried about how long it would take for the perm to loosen a bit. >_< I'll look into a wavy perm, thanks much! :D

xindi is right, you won't be able to achieve that kind of look with a digi perm unless you let it loosen up and by then it will be much longer than that length.

I originally long hair that was digi permed and it kinda grew out so I decided to try another style. I cut my hair short, around 2 inches below my collar bone like yours is and got it digi permed at that length. It's not like SUPER poofy ... I wish I could show you a picture but my camera isn't working right now. :(

Er, I'll do my best to describe it. Basically since it's permed now it reaches around my collarbones and there's obviously more volume towards the bottom of my hair.. but I wanted it to be really like full like that. The shape is kind of like a ... mushroom? (Kind of like this, just more of a spiral curl.)I suck at explaining but it really does depend on how you want it styled. If you make it less full towards the bottom (i.e layered hair), you get a look that's completely different like this. The place I went to, the ahjumma doing my hair gave me a japanese hair magazine with different digital perm hairstyles and basically all of them were more towards the 'layered' type.

Haha, I saw your earlier post, and I was wondering how your perm went! Do you like how it turned out?

Your description is really helpful! I didn't realize that having layers would affect the outcome of the perm.

Thanks so much for your info! I'll probably end up just growing out my hair till it's long or something. ^^"

Guest cyock

Did my digital perm in Jan 2010. I had nearly waist long hair before that but I was sick of it coz it took so long to dry after washing plus it was really thick so I asked for shoulder length wavy hair. It was way above shoulder length after perming(like chin length initially) coz my hairdresser cut my straight hair to shoulder length first.

Jan

3 days after i permed my hair. Looks a little weird & dry. Dyed my hair after a week and there were some dry ends which i trimmed off myself.

4 months later: May

How it looks like now: June1

June2

Guest littleblackwings

Ahh! My hair feels so dry! I only wash it every other day now to prevent it from drying out even more. What should I do? I always use conditioner when I was it and then when it's wet, I put in some anti-frizz serum but that's it.

Help?!?

-dianne

Dianne, I recommend that you go get a deep conditioning mask and use that to replace your regular conditioner until your hair feels better.

Some products I recommend are:

Moroccan Oil hair mask (seriously this stuff is GOLD IN A TUB)

CHI silk infusion

Guest Rissalicious

anyone know where to get a good digital perm in sacramento, ca? or maybe anywhere near the san joaquin valley? (:

Guest Mui Mui1430273568

Dianne, I recommend that you go get a deep conditioning mask and use that to replace your regular conditioner until your hair feels better.

Some products I recommend are:

Moroccan Oil hair mask (seriously this stuff is GOLD IN A TUB)

CHI silk infusion

Thanks alot! I need to go look for that Moroccan Oil hair mask then! Where would I find that besides online?

I started using Bed Head TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier after I shower and just let it air dry. It really defines my curls and they aren't hard or anything.

Guest littleblackwings

Thanks alot! I need to go look for that Moroccan Oil hair mask then! Where would I find that besides online?

I started using Bed Head TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier after I shower and just let it air dry. It really defines my curls and they aren't hard or anything.

The Moroccan Oil you can find in a hair salon, it's a bit pricey (I think 40 dollars tops) but it REALLY works.

Okay, so I'm going to Texas (I'll be hitting up Houston and Dallas) and I REALLY want a digital perm... but I'm not sure if my hair is the proper length; I have a round face and I don't want to make my face look fatter. ;----; Opinions please? Should I get the perm yet? What kind of rods should I ask them to use?

snapshot-1.jpg

snapshot.jpg

** Uh yeah. Sorry for the terrible state of my skin my body is recovering from the shocks of BC.

Guest Mui Mui1430273568

The Moroccan Oil you can find in a hair salon, it's a bit pricey (I think 40 dollars tops) but it REALLY works.

Okay, so I'm going to Texas (I'll be hitting up Houston and Dallas) and I REALLY want a digital perm... but I'm not sure if my hair is the proper length; I have a round face and I don't want to make my face look fatter. ;----; Opinions please? Should I get the perm yet? What kind of rods should I ask them to use?

snapshot-1.jpg

snapshot.jpg

** Uh yeah. Sorry for the terrible state of my skin my body is recovering from the shocks of BC.

My hair was about your length when I got it permed. and I think it turned out great. I told them to do the large rollers. I've been having my perm since may 22nd. It's definitely not as curly as the first few days I got my perm and I know it'll just loosen up more over time.

Guest mynameismonica

how does a normal perm and a digital perm look different?

any good places for a digital perm in NYC? i'm looking for

http://www.asianpopcorn.com/battle_images/nam_gyu_ri-200906110713053.jpg

bcbcfe5f6eadd0_full.jpg

05e7fbc0ac08f99b9a2556be6b5459aa.jpg

(pretty much everyone is looking for this style)

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xindi

^the difference between a normal perm and digital perm was addressed numerous times... try looking through the thread? :S

my perm is this Saturday and I am SO NERVOUS!! T_________T

I read through this entire thread LOL, there are a lot of mixed results, some people having beautiful curls with soft hair and some having short-lasting frizzy curls and fried hair! Maybe it depends on your stylist...

I am terrified haha ;__; My long hair took a LONGGG time to grow... I hope I don't get a bad perm that causes me to chop it all off!

Will be back with pictures in a while, when the curls loosen up (:

^the difference between a normal perm and digital perm was addressed numerous times... try looking through the thread? :S

my perm is this Saturday and I am SO NERVOUS!! T_________T

I read through this entire thread LOL, there are a lot of mixed results, some people having beautiful curls with soft hair and some having short-lasting frizzy curls and fried hair! Maybe it depends on your stylist...

I am terrified haha ;__; My long hair took a LONGGG time to grow... I hope I don't get a bad perm that causes me to chop it all off!

Will be back with pictures in a while, when the curls loosen up (:

a normal perm is used to straighten out waves/ curls (can also be done at home they sell in boxes at stores or in salons)

while a digital perm add curl/waves and volume to the hair (salon only)

http://www.ievecare.com/270.html

^i see this one in the asian stores i go to : Normal perm so straighten hair

http://www.buy.com/prod/dark-lovely-relaxer-kit-regular/q/listingid/92993661/loc/67984/216390162.html

in other stores you may see this depending on were you live (although it shows a black woman on the front it can also be used on asian hair aswell ) Normal perm to straighten out hair

at home perms are cheaper but be sure you have a experienced person doing them

click link for images

Archived