13 hours ago, lightnessofbeing said:

Hmmm, I have been coming to this thread for some old news and I happen to see some whining about him so I thought I'll register just to say something.

If you dislike the way he handles his career so much, it is better not to be his fan. Move on to other hallyu celebrities who are more eager to develop their fanbase before military service, they will do fan meets and appear on SNS regularly to keep a high profile. I heard from some old GY fans that he is really nice to them when he meets them but yes, he does need a lot of downtime between his works. He's not a young star craving adulation, he definitely wants to prove himself as an actor but he has said time and again he needs to live his life the way he wants.

Please separate his drama characters from his actual persona, and don't expect him to cater to drama fans. Not everyone is comfortable in the limelight. He has told his Korean fans many times he does not know what to perform for them in fan meetings, he cares a lot how other people feel and I get the feeling he doesn't want to disappoint his fans and waste their time. 

Please read more of his interviews (not badly translated ones please) or listen to his radio programme to understand how he feels. He is extremely accommodating and also quite candid with his fans.

You saw how shocked he actually was when he was mobbed in Sydney, he honestly didn't expect the drama to do this well internationally. Yet, he's been in show business long enough to know how hit dramas can give you a sudden surge in fame (he went through that briefly with Coffee Prince) but eventually the fans will just move on when the next hit drama comes along. His management understands this too, his agency boss has been with him for ages.

If I'm not wrong Taiwan has been confirmed first which is why Soop gave that release about international fanmeet, they are not giving people false hope, it is the same with other agencies. He is known in Taiwan since Biscuit Teacher/Coffee Prince era so naturally Soop is more confident about that market. Hong Kong is a newer fanbase but it could serve as a gateway for the Mainland fans because of the THAAD issue, (they have already bought 500 tickets from the organiser) so they are okay with that too. I'm pretty sure he will do another FM in Japan they are some of his most solid fans in Asia. Other markets like Philippines and Singapore are more difficult because the ticket prices need to be high to recoup the production fees, and he has no solid fanbase there, and there have been instances of major hallyu stars' FM tickets selling badly because of high prices. If you truly want to see him, just fly to either FMs.

He is an actor, first and foremost, and a very professional one. Don't undermine his dedication to his work, just because you cannot understand his personality.

I didn't even realized you wrote that you signed up to say something. I am doing the same too because I couldn't help but read (how I felt) the negative post/comments about gong yoo. I've been following this page for over a year and have seen it grown since goblin. I enjoy reading post about gong yoo and seeing photos from him that everyone posts on here. :) And am glad to know gong yoo has new fans also! I have been a fan of gong yoo before coffee prince so I just wanted to say something. I think some fans have taken it a bit too far of instead being a gong yoo fan they’ve become slightly obsessed with him. Which is fine as long as no one is saying negative things about him as I have read the last few pages. Even though I am glad to see gong yoo more popular now I hope we all  still appreciate him as a human being and actor, and set aside our high expectations of wanting him to be public with his life, seeing him in the public eye more, or having more fan meetings. I mean, I definitely would love to see gong yoo more being a long time fan but I can tell from his interviews and minimal public appearances and as a fan that he is super private about his life and we just have to accept that. Maybe he's uncomfortable with fame and fans following him such as the incident in Sydney. I do feel he is trying to be normal like how he was before his fame grew because I’ve noticed now he has been covering his appearance where ever he goes. I hope we as fans respect him and don’t cross the line of putting him in an uncomfortable position. Let’s all accept Gong Yoo as he is and support him unconditionally and pour our love to him as he has to us! Because trust me, I am so glad to see gong yoo back on screen after so many years! The new fans should also be lucky gong yoo even has fan meetings because he rarely had them years ago since he wasn’t well known yet. :( However, not everyone is in the entertainment industry for the fame or be in a competition to see who has the most fan base. I think it is quite obvious he enjoys his acting career and is super passionate and dedicated but at the end of the day, he wants to continue living a normal life as someone saidin his forum,  “as gong ji-chul”. My post isn’t to attack anyone but to have us continue showering our love to gong yoo as we have been so he won’t feel hurt or sad. Who knows, maybe he reads these forums too! Hahah.

Edited by gycaliflower
  • Like 5

Good morning everyone! 

I really appreciate everyone voicing out their honest thoughts on this forum.  The good days and, the less than perfect days. I read them all. :)  So often, you articulate the very thoughts in my heart and, it makes me feel sane... again. 

Can we agree to disagree?  It is obvious that we are different in our understanding on, and expectations from this interesting (but at times, frustrating, confusing) actor GY, his works and the human GJC.  For one, our knowledge and understanding vary. Some of us are new. And there are very little information on the subject matter in English. And this seems like a wonderful platform to LEARN and SHARE. 

I wish I can read Korean because I know, things do get lost in translations, if they are available at all.  If you know of any good translations, please share them.  This is when I wish there is a more 'structural' (for a lack of better word) platform. The operative word here is 'wish'. 

I probably get stoned for saying this. I wish he would stop doing fan meetings and signings too, if popularity pains him so much. That will put him squarely into the serious actors category, which I think is what he really desires. To be honest, I think he enjoys the popularity and its' benefits too (maybe grudgingly but yes).  He just wants it with an 'ON' and 'Off' button,very much like how we all want our cake and eat it. While he is a man of many talents and virtues, clearly decisiveness is not one of them. 

Isn't it natural to be curious about people you like and adore? So while I accept his rights to privacy, I am not apologising for my curiosity.  Also, I think it is okay to be frustrated? Just because I love my friends, doesn't mean I don't get frustrated or angry with them at times. But do I leave them because of it?  The answer is no. The truth is we can embrace perfectly imperfect people, like us. And we do it all the time.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 0:03 PM, kentangbakar said:

He didnt accept all 50s, I dont want too~~.. LOLs. Imagine you go to supermarket and all the things have GY face, from toothpaste to ramyun...erkkkkkkk. Lols. It is like he is everywhere. It will annoyed me, tho I like him. LOLs. Some might like, but I dont. About his FMs. I think it will only at TW, HK, and Japan if they can secure sponsor. Other place I dont think he will have fms, cause he is FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Sponsor have to very sure that the tickets sold out.Overseas fms ticket price is sooooooooo expensive compare to Seoul. Seoul will be his last stop for the fms I think. and yes, it do sound forever for me too, looking at his schedule. They way they arrange it, is like, lets do 1 by 1. Hahahahaha. T_T.

From the interview, look like he trying to said that only people know real him can be his lover, which is means his real life friends regardless celeb or not. Someone who know him for years, some one who already saw him in his worst n in his best and can accept it. Some one he already saw her worst n her best and he can accept it. Lols. I personally dont think it is bad, or good either. But the "not change me" is kind of make my light bulb turn on. Eventho the woman already saw him the in the worst n best, but when we talked about living tgt, we still have to change, a bit, not all. It is to adjust, both have to. If he dont want to change at all, better live alone. I know it is sound harsh. I dont expect him to change totally, but you still have to do some adjustment. Anyway, it is his personal life, not that I care much.

I feel cheated at this marie claire issue. LOLs. Yes I know it is efficient to shoot one time for 2 things, epigram book and marie claire. But at least can they reserve certain outfit for epigram, certain for marie claire. So we will not see it as redundant?. Im not complaining, Im just giving suggestion. OR the full version of Marie Claire have another outfit, another new background?

Im waiting the day soop said, GY will announce his new works after x days/weeks/month. Yes he need to take a break.

Your replies are hilarious and I know you meant it in a fun way. :) 
It would be interesting to gain insights into the workings of a publicity department in a Korean talent agency, isn't it?Maybe I should be glad that they appeared less money-grabbing than agencies? Or maybe they are just trying to extend the hype? I really don't know...

Why do I feel the 'not change me' criteria is also applicable for the public and his fans. :wink:

BUT I'm so curious about the charity bazaar.  I am curious as to how GY will do his.... as compared to Jang Geun Suk. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, angjay said:

i am thinking about picking up korean. why do i need to think about it because i previously had japanese lessons. i quit halfway through and remembering less than half of what i learnt :bawling:

lol - you are so cute. Yes why are you thinking of it? If you know it, then you know what to do next! :)

11 hours ago, casey1409 said:

That's all I looked at... hahahaha

Please don't take it wrongly if it offends anyone.. But I'd really like to express my thanks and I'm extremely moved :bawling:  that @innerchild and @lightnessofbeing who doesn't post much jumped out to defend GY... I was feeling a bit uncomfortable too with all the discontent on how he handles his fans:confounded:... Please let us all go back to appreciating him (or his charms :wink:) instead of focusing on our feeling of being mad/frustrated....

Good Luck!! Don't forget to post the link to your blog please!

They should include a thumbs up emoji just for you! *like like like!

Like Icon

@princess nour90 Here's a big LIKE for you. :) 

7 hours ago, angjay said:

oh...he had to mask up at the premiere. he must be feeling under the weather.

Or just being respectful by not calling attention to himself? :) 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

Thank you for posting this :) @kentangbakar 

Why am I laughing at him? He looks ridiculous. Riding a hoverboard and a bicycle and grinning and smiling like a ridiculous person. He looks awkward on both. :D  Then going for a run dramatically. Hair slowly blowing in the wind again! He might be cute and sexy. He looks ridculous too. Look at those shorts. Why do they look so tight? The jean ones I mean. I feel like I've seen this same commercial before but with different clothes... Hehehehehehehehehe

I want to go to Dubai!

I just rewatched it. Noticed that I don't like either of his shorts and he's really struggling on that bike. :grin:

Poor thing. :(

Oooh nice legs. 

hmm...sorry to say, but u sound like a hater? lol i hope ur ok...sounds like ur really frustrated with him. Maybe ur expecting too much of him? he's just an ordinary guy like me and you...it just happens that he acts for a living and we see him everywhere. Just be a bit more understanding :) can't wait for his next project tho! hoping it'll be in a action/thrilller genre! :))

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

Discovery Expedition Dubai video.

Source : Discovery FB

Do you have the bts of the second clip?  I thought the cut around 0:16 is a little abrupt... and it left me wondering if the girl's hair hit GY's face? that's why he was right in front in the next frame and laughing?  

The city scape and the hoover board do make this issue seem familiar. I will blame the art agency for the storyboard for it, not the artist.:D 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, casey1409 said:

Wow... Sounds like you really had a lot of pent up anger for him.... 0.0

Well, my fiance is sort of like how I think he is.. Secluded anti-social, shy.. and not only was he quiet, he literally followed behind me everywhere when we were out with my friends... I don't find it embarassing though.. It was kinda cute... 

Anyway.. What I said previously was just how I feel about him.. And I found (in my perception) the reason of him being how he is now.. So I accepted the fact and respected his choice.. If he was to be the anti-social celebrity... I don't think I have the rights to ask him not to do so... I mean.. I don't even have the right to change my fiance's personality whom I will be spending the rest of my life with.. What more a celebrity that I have never talked to...

I think as a GY fan, it would be easier on us if we cheer him on with his work and not ask for his private life so much.. as I don't think he's ever gonna change... (He seems like someone that would quit the industry once he fame dies down or once he dont find any enjoyment acting in front of the camera anymore...) 

I'm not gonna go through point by point on my opinion.. Cause I dont think thats the point in this forum... I just hope you'll feel better and not feel so fed up, tired, and frustrated... :dissapointed_relieved:

Your fiancee sounds so endearing and you in love with a man that is 100% yours !  :) I am so envious!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, casey1409 said:

That's all I looked at... hahahaha

Please don't take it wrongly if it offends anyone.. But I'd really like to express my thanks and I'm extremely moved :bawling:  that @innerchild and @lightnessofbeing who doesn't post much jumped out to defend GY... I was feeling a bit uncomfortable too with all the discontent on how he handles his fans:confounded:... Please let us all go back to appreciating him (or his charms :wink:) instead of focusing on our feeling of being mad/frustrated....

I felt quite uncomfortable too, I didn't know new fans here felt this way about him. Come, let me give you a hug. :grin:

7 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

You're right. I should empathize with him more as a human being. I guess I'm just frustrated with the lack of opportunities to see him (as an international fan). Thanks for your perspective. Really enlightening.

Thank you for reading what I wrote, it is just my point of view though. :blush: He gives off contradictory vibes sometimes I know, I think new fans find it confusing probably. For instance he comes across as being easily embarrassed sometimes, but he is definitely not a shy person. Self-conscious perhaps. The thing is, at his core he has never changed at all, he loves acting but doesn't really buy into the celeb worship thing. I'm not saying he eschews fame and recognition, every actor wants that to a certain extent, but I think he wants people to love him for his works and not intrude too much on his private life. I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to ask for, it's like a working mom who wants to balance her career with her kids (ok this is a bad analogy sorry Yoo, I don't mean you feel like a mom). If you need a celebrity who is often in the news, I honestly think Yoo is not the person to stan.

2 hours ago, gongi said:

I wish I can read Korean because I know, things do get lost in translations, if they are available at all.  If you know of any good translations, please share them.  This is when I wish there is a more 'structural' (for a lack of better word) platform. The operative word here is 'wish'. 

I probably get stoned for saying this. I wish he would stop doing fan meetings and signings too, if popularity pains him so much. That will put him squarely into the serious actors category, which I think is what he really desires. To be honest, I think he enjoys the popularity and its' benefits too (maybe grudgingly but yes).  He just wants it with an 'ON' and 'Off' button,very much like how we all want our cake and eat it. While he is a man of many talents and virtues, clearly decisiveness is not one of them. 

Isn't it natural to be curious about people you like and adore? So while I accept his rights to privacy, I am not apologising for my curiosity.  Also, I think it is okay to be frustrated? Just because I love my friends, doesn't mean I don't get frustrated or angry with them at times. But do I leave them because of it?  The answer is no. The truth is we can embrace perfectly imperfect people, like us. And we do it all the time.

I realise he doesn't have a lot of old videos subbed in English, perhaps some fluent Korean-speaking fan lurking on soompi can help this fandom? I thought some of his recent subbed interviews ('recent' in his case means the past year ) were quite enlightening on how he has changed slightly since the Dogani period. 

The Age of Shadows V Live - Look at how he interacts with his cast and what the director and Song Kang Ho think of him

Train to Busan V Live - He steps up to speak for the cast when required. It's something he has done since early in his career and one of the reasons why I like him. He's always very professional when it comes to promoting his works or doing endorsement events.

JTBC Interview with Sohn Suk Hee (I don't know if it's subbed)- You can feel that he is aware of the entire production process of Train to Busan. Yoo is the type of actor who contributes actively to the production and gives his opinions freely so it takes someone very secure to direct him. Also notice how he makes weird faces when Sohn talks about him as a celebrity. :grimace:

Goblin Presscon - More on noticing his thoughts on drama production and why he is reluctant to do dramas. And handling hard questions without a sweat. Post conference V Live is interesting as well seeing how he interacts with the cast.

Korean actors don't earn a lot from acting unfortunately, the industry is not as celebrity-obsessed as some other markets. A significant portion of their income is from brand endorsements, which is why he will most definitely be doing CFs between his works. I don't think it is a conscious effort on his part to have an ON/OFF button or have the best of both worlds. It is how the industry works, I guess.

It is of course natural to want to know more about people you are attracted to, we've been spoiled by celebrity news bombarding our SNS feeds, but to form an opinion of someone perhaps fans should try to understand his point of view first. Yoo has his quirks and flaws (and I think I will argue with people like him if I have to work with them lol) but I feel like that makes him multidimensional and interesting as an actor.

3 hours ago, gycaliflower said:

I didn't even realized you wrote that you signed up to say something. I am doing the same too because I couldn't help but read (how I felt) the negative post/comments about gong yoo. I've been following this page for over a year and have seen it grown since goblin. I enjoy reading post about gong yoo and seeing photos from him that everyone posts on here. :) And am glad to know gong yoo has new fans also! I have been a fan of gong yoo before coffee prince so I just wanted to say something. I think some fans have taken it a bit too far of instead being a gong yoo fan they’ve become slightly obsessed with him. Which is fine as long as no one is saying negative things about him as I have read the last few pages. Even though I am glad to see gong yoo more popular now I hope we all  still appreciate him as a human being and actor, and set aside our high expectations of wanting him to be public with his life, seeing him in the public eye more, or having more fan meetings. I mean, I definitely would love to see gong yoo more being a long time fan but I can tell from his interviews and minimal public appearances and as a fan that he is super private about his life and we just have to accept that. Maybe he's uncomfortable with fame and fans following him such as the incident in Sydney. I do feel he is trying to be normal like how he was before his fame grew because I’ve noticed now he has been covering his appearance where ever he goes. I hope we as fans respect him and don’t cross the line of putting him in an uncomfortable position. Let’s all accept Gong Yoo as he is and support him unconditionally and pour our love to him as he has to us! Because trust me, I am so glad to see gong yoo back on screen after so many years! The new fans should also be lucky gong yoo even has fan meetings because he rarely had them years ago since he wasn’t well known yet. :( However, not everyone is in the entertainment industry for the fame or be in a competition to see who has the most fan base. I think it is quite obvious he enjoys his acting career and is super passionate and dedicated but at the end of the day, he wants to continue living a normal life as someone saidin his forum,  “as gong ji-chul”. My post isn’t to attack anyone but to have us continue showering our love to gong yoo as we have been so he won’t feel hurt or sad. Who knows, maybe he reads these forums too! Hahah.

Hi five!! Look at this discussion bringing out random people like us. :heart: We all have different opinions and it is perfectly fine as long as we don't insult his character, but I think older fans are just happy he is out and about and we worry more about whether he is gonna get settled down more than the number of fan meets he is going to do. I'm sure he will announce his next project in due time. GY fans just.. need to learn the virtue of patience... :wink:

Edited by lightnessofbeing
fixed link
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, gongi said:

Your replies are hilarious and I know you meant it in a fun way. :) 
It would be interesting to gain insights into the workings of a publicity department in a Korean talent agency, isn't it?Maybe I should be glad that they appeared less money-grabbing than agencies? Or maybe they are just trying to extend the hype? I really don't know...

Why do I feel the 'not change me' criteria is also applicable for the public and his fans. :wink:

BUT I'm so curious about the charity bazaar.  I am curious as to how GY will do his.... as compared to Jang Geun Suk. 

Im glad you find it funny. =)

Anyways, I didnt mean it in bad ways. If any of you think of it, I will take it as, Im incompetent enough to go with the flow of language to represent him in good light based on my point of view. =) 

So I want to take this opportunities to emphasis that, I dont mind with his way of works or how Soop been manage him. Cause they know what is the best for him. In fact, I like the way Soop manage him, and how they arrange his schedule. The "1 by 1". I like it, even though it feels like forever, so what I can do is deal with it. I as fans just want more movie, more drama, less rumors from him. Yes, I dislike rumors.

I dont mind about how he view his life, what kind of life he want. As long as he do good, not harm himself. As long as what he think he doing is good for himself and his mental health too. So the "doesnt change me" is not bothering me much. It is not related to me, btw. Change or not, is not my problem, it is his ways. Maybe with that he can be better actor and stay true to himself.

Im fans of his works. If he decided that staying low is good, less rumors, more spotlight for his arts and his crafts. That is win-win situation to me. Cause I dont like actors/actresses with unnecessary news. Means I like an actor(gongyoo) that fit with my taste then. =)

In the conclusion, I like him as actor, and I dont mind with his ways to separated his life as actor and as normal person. All I want from him is movies and drama and he is doing good with his real life, not as an actor.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nuryl said:

Oh dear...his passion in acting is the only thing that keeps him going. Is there any possibility that there are some fanatic fans that could be dangerous to him that he has to wear the mask. I pity him so much :( 

That was what happened in Sydney right? Where a bunch of fans mobbed him so much they were grabbing and pushing and he had to be escorting out of the restaurants by bodyguards pushing them back.. Someone said he was drunk so he was sort off smiling in the video... But a sober him might have been distressed... *Panic Goblin summoned... :fearful:

5 hours ago, gycaliflower said:

Please allow me to give u a most honored salute sunbae-nim!  And do continue guiding us through our heartbreaks from now and then... 

btw, i'm a new fan too and there's something I have been quite curious.. How's GY's english proficiency level? From his pronunciation in the movies, it feels like he's quite good in english.. But that might just be him working hard on those sentences so that he has a "I do speak native english feel"...

3 hours ago, gongi said:

Like Icon

@princess nour90 Here's a big LIKE for you. :) 

Or just being respectful by not calling attention to himself? :) 

which he failed miserably though.. ahaha...

LMAO for that thumbs up!! :D

3 hours ago, gongi said:

Your fiancee sounds so endearing and you in love with a man that is 100% yours !  :) I am so envious!

I'm actually secretly wishing that he gains 12 years time so that he's the same age as GY :tongue:... Cz I think GY's charms comes from his maturity and wisedom (for me...) and my fiance is still sort of like a baby in that part:expressionless:.... 

* I just realized they even have the same chinese zodiac... lol :flushed:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, angjay said:

he cant because so many body guards around him lol.

@angjay @casey1409

And his look at his COAT!? Sometimes, he really does make me wonder what goes through his head. ha ha

@casey1409
And why are you heartbroken? You should rejoice in love... :)  tsk tsk..when he gains 12 years...so will you.. bwwahaha 

@kentangbakar

GY trains us well indeed! :) 

@lightnessofbeing
Thanks for sharing the links. I've seen all those with eng subs before. Would you be able to do a translation for the JBTC one?I have tried to look for the subs but failed. Please continue to share your insights and knowledge. I hope it doesn't take another dramatic post to lure you out!  GY fans also needs to learn...acceptance :wink:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, gongi said:

@angjay @casey1409

And his look at his COAT!? Sometimes, he really does make me wonder what goes through his head. ha ha

i'm sorry what about his coat? enlighten me haha :tongue:
i feel that it's cool that he can dress whatever and still looks fantastic.

thank you fellow Yoo-mates for the updates. love the pics. so cute.

and i am so glad i can call him oppa cuz he's just a few years my senior
he is ahjussi for how many of u? :tongue:

• Like 1

@casey1409 @2handsintertwined @gongi thank you all for your praises :heart::blush:

@gycaliflower @lightnessofbeing welcome in GY page , i wish you continue chatting with us about our precious actor Gong Yoo

I'm so happy GY gaining so much popularity now , i started following GY and this page was between 80:90 followers now we reaches 153 followers , we became big family now all loving GY so please focus only on GY and be nice with each others :wub:

And Don't Forget to vote for Gong yoo and Goblin drama in Dramafever awards

goblin-kdrama-ep-3.jpg

https://www.dramafever.com/dfa5/#/

• Like 4

11 hours ago, gongi said:

this is my wish too actually =)

9 hours ago, gongi said:

Do you have the bts of the second clip?  I thought the cut around 0:16 is a little abrupt... and it left me wondering if the girl's hair hit GY's face? that's why he was right in front in the next frame and laughing?  

The city scape and the hoover board do make this issue seem familiar. I will blame the art agency for the storyboard for it, not the artist.:D 

Sorry for late reply. Im sorry, I think that all in Discovery Expedition FB, I didnt check their FB today. T_T

• Like 2