Gong Yoo on starring in ‘The Silent Sea’: “My instinct strongly told me I should do it”

He also described the story of the new series as "mind-blowing"

Gong Yoo, along with the rest of the main cast of Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi K-drama The Silent Seahave shared their thoughts on the series

The streaming giant shared a new behind-the-scenes video of the forthcoming sci-fi epic, which shares the process and insight from the show’s main cast and crew ahead of The Silent Sea‘s global release on Christmas Eve (December 24).

Based on director Choi Hang-young’s own 2014 short film The Sea Of Tranquility, the new series – starring Gong Yoo, Bae Doo-na and more – has been over a decade in the making, the clip revealed.

Lead actor Gong Yoo, who plays Captain Han Yoon-jae on the show, shared his first reaction to hearing of The Silent Sea‘s story. “It was mind-blowing,” he shared, adding that he felt it was right for him to work on the series. “My instinct strongly told me I should do it.”

Bae Doo-na, who stars as the series’ main protagonist Song Ji-an, also revealed her eagerness to star in The Silent Sea, upon first watching the original short film it was based on. “Watching the film got me very curious about its director,” she shared.

Meanwhile, the crew behind the show’s conception shared the long process of refining the story from its humble origins. “It was a small, rough gemstone at first,” executive producer Jung Woo-sung shared. “But it was a matter of how much we would allow it to shine by processing it. It has a story that can throw viewers for a loop.”

Set in a distant future where Earth has undergone desertification, The Silent Sea follows a a space exploration team who are sent to the Moon to secure a sample from the abandoned space station, which may well hold the key to the survival of the planet.

The Silent Sea is the latest original Korean series produced by Netflix, following hits like Squid Game, My Name and Hellbound. Earlier in the year, the streaming giant also released Move To Heaven, which earned the third spot on NME’s 10 best Korean dramas of 2021.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/gong-yoo-on-starring-in-the-silent-sea-my-instinct-strongly-told-me-i-should-do-it-3124352?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Sea of Silence' Gong Yoo "A hair style with divided opinions will be understood"

Enter 2021.12.22. 11:38 am

202112221137522410_1_20211222113804532.jpg?type=w430

[Newsen Reporter Lee Min-ji] Gong Yoo predicted a change in acting.

At the online production presentation of the Netflix series 'Sea of Silence' held on December 22, Gong Yoo personally introduced his character.

Gong Yoo, the station of Han Yun-jae, explained, "He is the youngest space agency commander. He has a strong sense of responsibility and always puts the safety of the crew first. He is a cold-hearted person who doesn't easily show his emotions in front of the crew even in dire situations."

He pointed out, "There was a setting that Han Yun-jae was a former soldier, so I thought of the tanned look and hardship. I put a tattoo on his neck in that setting. If his previous style was dandy and romantic, I wanted to get rid of that look."

Then he added, "There were different opinions about the hair, but it's not for Gong Yoo, but for Han Yun-jae. If you look at the work, you'll understand."
  • Like 2
  • Blob 1

Why Gong Yoo Explores Space Travel And A New Genre In ‘The Silent Sea’

Joan MacDonald
Contributor
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.
Follow

Listen to article11 minutes

•  
  •  
  •  
A man in a  space suit stands in a space vehicle.

Gong Yoo plays the leader of a perilous space mission in 'The Silent Sea.'

NETFLIX

Gong Yoo originally thought his future lay behind the camera, as he wanted to create advertising content. The first time he faced the camera lens was in college, when he got a part-time job as a VJ for a music show

“From that point on, I found myself wanting to express my emotions through the camera lens,” said Gong. “It was fascinating to influence people’s emotions with my eyes, voice, and the subtle changes in my facial expressions.”

That led to a desire to experience life through different characters.

“I think the part-time job might have been a turning point in my life. That is how I eventually started acting and it has been more than 20 years since I started to share different emotions with audiences and live vicariously through various characters.” 

It has been an impressive 20-year career. Gong landed his first leading roles in the TV dramas Hello My Teacher and One Fine Day and after his role in Coffee Prince quickly became an international star. He appeared in the film Silenced, a story so powerful it prompted legislative change in Korea. He played a supportive husband in the award-winning film Kim Ji-young: Born 1982, fought zombies in the international hit Train to Busan and guarded a clone in the sci-fi film Seo Bok. He played the title role in Guardian: The Great and Lonely God, aka Goblin, which became the fifth highest rated drama in Korean cable television history. A wider audience met him through his cameo as a recruiter in Squid Game and he’s now taking k-dramas to space with the Netflix NFLX -0.3% production The Silent Sea.

Gong has a gift for choosing successful projects. 

“I believe that a good script holds all the answers for a good story, which is why I am cautious when selecting/reviewing a script,” he said. “When it comes to the veiled parts of a script—for instance, the hidden intentions of the director—I first review them in detail with the director to make sure that we are on the same page. After that, I add my own imagination to bring the character to life. That is how I build the core of a character. Nonetheless, there are other aspects I potentially may add as I interact with other cast members; however, only to an extent that these new additions do not undermine the essence of the character.” 

A man in a suit holds up red and blue envelopes.

Gong Yoo played the recruiter in 'Squid Game.'

NETFLIX

He was attracted to The Silent Sea because his character Han Yun-jae is an experienced leader, who has a strong sense of responsibility and is calm under difficult circumstances.

“Not everyone can become a leader and it is a lonely title that comes with great responsibility. I sympathize with him to a certain extent. But Yun-jae is also an ordinary dad who worries about the well-being of his child. To be honest, I selected The Silent Sea not only because I was drawn to my character, but because I was drawn to the creative theme and how the story portrays its universe. I wanted to challenge myself in a genre that has never been tried out in Korea. As someone who always looks to broaden his spectrum into various genres, I wanted to be a part of this amazing journey to the moon. This aligns with the reasons why I chose Train to Busan.” 

His characters tend to exude a sense of inner calm, which reflects his own efforts to maintain an even keel. 

“Personally, I tend to try to stay calm under pressure,” said Gong.” Of course, it doesn’t always work, but I think disciplining myself to remain calm can be very helpful in life. I believe that mental strength is pivotal in terms of physical health. If you allow your emotions to overwhelm you, you may not always make the best choices. And in any game, whoever loses their temper is most likely to lose.” 

While traveling to space might seem like an appealing idea, Gong suggests the story of The Silent Sea should prompt renewed concerns for this planet. 

Two bloodied men protect a child on a train.

Ma Dong-seok and Gong Yoo battle zombies in 'Train To Busan.'

NEXT ENTERTAINMENT WORLD

“As wonderful as space travel is, being forced to migrate to another planet for survival as portrayed in The Silent Sea—due to desertification or in the face of extinction—would be a tragedy. I try to remind myself that I need to stay alert and do better to protect our planet. Yun-jae ultimately takes risks and heads to the moon for survival. He is a selfless father who would sacrifice himself for his daughter. I don’t have a child yet, but I think I would make the same choice as Yun-jae did. In the big picture, it also can translate into the sacrifice made by this generation for the welfare of the next generation to come.”

Space travel is a new genre for Asia so The Silent Sea can be seen as a giant step forward for k-content. The story, which also stars Bae Doona and Lee Joon, focuses on a perilous 24-hour mission on the moon. Gong and his team must retrieve samples from an abandoned research facility steeped in classified secrets.

“Similar to zombie content, space travel sci-fi is a ubiquitous theme in Hollywood, which has set audience standards,” said Gong. “After Train to Busan, I gained the assurance that great content has less to do with the amount of production budget, but more to do with the clever use of it. Creative themes, premise, along with the design of a story are the crucial factors. The creativeness and refreshing themes are what absorb the audience.”

Filming The Silent Sea involved many physical challenges. To film an elevator fall, Gong wore about 10 to 12 wires. 

“I have had my fair share of wirework for action films, but it was challenging nonetheless. Wirework stunts not only inversely bend your back, but also it’s almost impossible to sustain a balanced position while hanging upside-down. I had to take short breaks after every take because blood would circulate to my head. Therefore, it was physically tiring for both myself as an actor and the film crew. “

There were scenes where he ran through narrow, low-height passages while wearing a heavy outfit. “This damaged my knees, but I’m fully recovered now.” 

The weightlessness in the spacecraft and the low gravity on the surface of the moon were challenging to portray, but Gong found it fun because he’d never done it before. 

“I did use the wires for support, but for scenes where I only needed to bend down my torso, it was easier to naturally demonstrate the movement than to depend on wires. For these scenes wirework was a severe challenge, because if my coordination with the crew slightly went off, the movements started to look awkward. Generally for these scenes, we had to take multiple takes for each scene.” 

Gong was already an international star before his cameo in Squid Game, but he notes a bump in interest. 

“Even though I wasn’t a part of the main cast for Squid Game, I think a lot of viewers have been checking out my other works after watching the series. That interest continued to extend to The Silent Sea, which I’m very grateful for.”

He worked with Squid Game director Hwang Dong-hyuk on the film Silenced and they are still good friends. 

“I knew about Squid Game from its very initial phase of production and we had some brief chats about it. I found the story engaging from the very beginning and anticipated its success; however, I never knew to what extent it would succeed. I made a cameo appearance to support director Hwang, but it turned out that I ended up benefiting a lot more from Squid Game. I was so happy for him. Director Hwang is a great filmmaker that I have always believed in, but now I’m even more excited for his next steps. I hope he can continue to focus on creating the many stories that he likes. “

Gong sees the popularity of Squid Game as a positive sign, introducing international viewers to the wider world of Korean content. 

“I think it will open new doors to bigger opportunities for creators and actors in Korea. We will have to be smart about effectively leveraging those opportunities. We live in an era where content produced in different countries can be accessed globally as long as you have a TV or a phone, for various platforms. As an actor, I’m both very grateful and fascinated to be alive in a time like this.”

Acting has led to some soul searching and taught him a lot about himself.  

“Kim Shin in Goblin is one example. The character gave me an opportunity to take a step back and reflect upon myself before turning 40. It also helped me to realize how valuable I am and that I needed to love myself more. The process was tough, but ultimately, it helped me to find myself again.”

Being an actor also gave him the gift of bringing comfort to others. 

“I am not sure if this is the right comparison, but back when I was going through an emotionally tough phase, a film and the characters it portrayed offered me great comfort,” said Gong. “The film was titled Manchester by the Sea. Ironically, the protagonist was portrayed in a very dry and understated tone and intriguingly it was a sad story.” 

To Gong, that is what films are all about. 

“Sometimes a film makes me laugh, or cry, but sometimes it just embraces me with a silent hug. And I sincerely hope my performances and films/series do the same for other people. I am still in the middle of that journey and plan to continue on that path. I want to remain an actor who can offer great comfort to people.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the swoon video! Oppa is still joking around all the times :D

I’m up to episode 3 and very pleasantly surprised. Sci fi is not my thing so if it wasn’t for him I would not have watched the series at all. The whole production is impressive, the cinematography is amazing and I’m really enjoying the suspense and the plot development. Hope this will be another very successful project for oppa :heart:

• Like 2

Netflix’s ‘The Silent Sea’ is a proof of concept for Korea’s sci-fi might

Written by Marga Buenaventura

Updated Dec 24, 2021 1:25:43 PM

12_SilentSea_Unit_02.jpg

In the Netflix sci-fi series “The Silent Sea,” the world grapples with an apocalyptic drought. Photo courtesy of NETFLIX

“The Silent Sea” proposes a horrifying world that is ruled by water. Climate change finally destroys the earth’s ecosystem and causes massive drought, making water the most important resource to be had. In Korea, it’s treated as a marker of status and a form of currency: the amount of water you are allowed to collect is based on your professional rank. A revolt is on the brink, as angry citizens clamor to abolish this caste system. Seoul is presented here as a barren city, with the mighty Han River dried up as gleaming high rises crowd the skyline.

This is the world that astrobiologist Dr. Song Jian (Bae Doona) inhabits, and the series kicks off as she is called by the Korean Space and Aeronautics Administration to join a mission on the moon. Led by captain Han Yunjae (Gong Yoo), the team heads to the abandoned Balhae Lunar Research Station after a radiation leak killed 117 crew members five years before. They’re given 24 hours to retrieve samples of the research left behind. After their spaceship makes a perilous crash landing, they soon realize that this retrieval mission is a lot more than they bargained for.

12_1953_S2.jpg

"A Silent Sea" is the first Korean sci-fi drama set in space, featuring a truly star-studded cast. From L-R: Lee Moo Saeng, Kim Sun-Young, Bae Doona, Gong Yoo, and Lee Joon. Photo courtesy of NETFLIX

The series is adapted from director Choi Hang-yong’s 2014 short film “The Sea of Tranquility,” and has been touted as a landmark endeavor in many ways: it’s the first Korean sci-fi drama set in space, featuring a truly star-studded cast of Bae Doona (a Netflix regular with “Sense8” and “Kingdom”), Gong Yoo (“Train to Busan,” “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God”), and Lee Joon (former idol by way of second-gen boy group MBLAQ, “My Father is Strange”). Beloved actor Jung Woo-sung (called by the show’s cast as an “artist’s artist”) assumes an executive producer role for the first time. Series writer Park Eun Kyo is best known for co-writing the 2009 film “Mother” by director Bong Joon Ho.

Realizing all the stellar CVs padding every surface of this series, I was anxious about watching “The Silent Sea.” With everything in the right place, the odds are decidedly in favor of the show. Netflix has also had tremendous success with its recent Korean productions: 2019 zombie series “Kingdom” became a genre hit while “Squid Game” became the platform’s most watched series as of November 2021. But Netflix productions, on the whole, can be like hit or miss. “The Silent Sea” felt like watching a free kick that could potentially be a hat trick, and I’m the nervous wreck sitting at home, hoping for another goal. I am also wearing a jersey that says “Bae Doona” at the back.

The series is visually arresting. Balhae Research Station is a claustrophobic labyrinthe but wonderfully retro, evoking mid century modern aesthetic with rounded window corners and the varying shades of beige. No amount was spared as far as the set design was concerned, and the support of a global entity like Netflix allowed director Choi to employ virtual production techniques using LED walls and visual effects work. Instead of acting against green screens, the crew was able to bring realistic images to the screen. Gong Yoo said in the production interview “[t]hat tremendously helped our acting. These efforts, big and small, define the details of our work.”

SilentSea_BTS_102_B10I0778.jpg

No amount was spared as far as the set design was concerned, and the support of a global entity like Netflix allowed director Choi the opportunity to employ virtual production techniques using LED walls and visual effects work. Photo courtesy of NETFLIX

ADVERTISEMENT

The acting, more than anything, is what carries the entire series through. It was an ensemble effort, with Bae delivering a strong, stoic performance as a scientist with many questions and just as many secrets. Gong Yoo reprises his role as the nation’s kind RickRoll'D-slash-unproblematic straight man. Kim Sun-Young (“Crash Landing on You,” “Her Private Life”) proves her mettle as a dramatic actress, but also provided a complementary levity to Bae’s austere role. While the rest of the crew isn’t given enough backstories for me to emotionally invest in, the show gave a lot of room for physical acting — there’s a painful sequence of the lunar crew walking on the moon’s surface in the first episode, and you can feel every labored step on their faces.

The series is a lean eight episodes with the pilot running the longest at just 51 minutes, relatively short for K-dramas that are typically 16 episodes that average at 90 minutes per episode. It certainly makes for a bingeable watch, but the refreshing pace fails to pick up on personal cues that make an audience root for the characters. The lack of an emotional connection also made certain plot reveals less satisfying; why should I care about this random dude on the moon? While we learn about the motivations and histories of the main characters, the supporting cast fades into the background — and it doesn’t help that everyone is wearing the same thing for most of the series.

The thinness of the character development reveals the hidden seams within the scriptwriting. Writer Park shared during the production interview that “The Silent Sea” was originally intended to be a feature film, but Netflix offered for a series instead. “I figured a series would give us room to present these stories in a relaxed way while preserving the feel of the original,” Park said.

Spoiler

SilentSea_Unit_101_SC_09.png

The acting, more than anything, is what carries the entire series through. Photo courtesy of NETFLIX

Yet that’s exactly what the series feels like: a show that would have worked well as a really long movie. The show’s indulgent visual sequences in space do, quite literally, feel like they exist in a vacuum. For a story hinged on water scarcity, “The Silent Sea” is surprisingly apolitical. Previous Korean blockbusters like “Parasite” and even “Squid Game” were blatant criticisms on the dangers and hypocrisy of capitalism, and “The Silent Sea” attempted to make an equally strong statement. But very little time was devoted to the social constructs ruling this version of the earth (e.g. the true nature of the water caste system, if paper money still exists) and so what then is the true price of venturing into space?

It’s possible that Choi and Park are deliberately withholding this context for a planned second season. Despite my misgivings about the script, “The Silent Sea” was a captivating watch, and proves that with the right hands, a science fiction blockbuster about the moon can offer something new. It’s a painful foreshadowing of a terrible future that looms, and shows how even in the most dire circumstances, humanity will go on desperate lengths to ensure its survival.

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 images in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 2

Update: Gong Yoo In Talks Along With Kim Tae Ri For New Drama Penned By Kim Eun Hee

Update: Gong Yoo In Talks Along With Kim Tae Ri For New Drama Penned By Kim Eun Hee

Gong Yoo may be working with Kim Tae Ri in a new drama!

On December 29, industry

representatives reported that Gong Yoo received an offer to star in “The Devil” (working title) by writer Kim Eun Hee and is currently discussing it.

In response to the report, a source from his agency Management SOOP clarified, “It’s true that he received an offer [to star in] ‘The Devil.’ It’s one of the projects he’s reviewing.”

Earlier on the same day, it was revealed that Kim Tae Ri is also in talks to appear in the drama.

“Devil” is aiming to air via SBS in 2022.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1505988wpp/kim-tae-ri-in-talks-to-star-in-new-drama-penned-by-kim-eun-hee

Gong Yoo in talks to join Kim Tae Ri in new drama 'Evil'

Actor Gong Yoo is currently in talks to join actress Kim Tae Ri in the new drama 'Evil' (working title).

On December 29 KST, an industry insider revealed that Gong Yoo was offered the male lead role in scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee's new drama, 'Evil'. Earlier, it was reported that actress Kim Tae Ri was offered the female lead role, gathering excitement for the possible on-screen chemistry between Gong Yoo and Kim Tae Ri.

Scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee is best known for writing the immensely popular tvN drama 'Signal' and the Netflix original series 'Kingdom'. Her upcoming new drama 'Evil' is scheduled to premiere some time next year.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/12/gong-yoo-in-talks-to-join-kim-tae-ri-in-new-drama-evil

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Noor90 said:

Gong Yoo may be working with Kim Tae Ri in a new drama!

On December 29, industry

representatives reported that Gong Yoo received an offer to star in “The Devil” (working title) by writer Kim Eun Hee and is currently discussing it.

In response to the report, a source from his agency Management SOOP clarified, “It’s true that he received an offer [to star in] ‘The Devil.’ It’s one of the projects he’s reviewing.”

Earlier on the same day, it was revealed that Kim Tae Ri is also in talks to appear in the drama.

“Devil” is aiming to air via SBS in 2022.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1505988wpp/kim-tae-ri-in-talks-to-star-in-new-drama-penned-by-kim-eun-hee

Gong Yoo in talks to join Kim Tae Ri in new drama 'Evil'

Actor Gong Yoo is currently in talks to join actress Kim Tae Ri in the new drama 'Evil' (working title).

On December 29 KST, an industry insider revealed that Gong Yoo was offered the male lead role in scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee's new drama, 'Evil'. Earlier, it was reported that actress Kim Tae Ri was offered the female lead role, gathering excitement for the possible on-screen chemistry between Gong Yoo and Kim Tae Ri.

Scriptwriter Kim Eun Hee is best known for writing the immensely popular tvN drama 'Signal' and the Netflix original series 'Kingdom'. Her upcoming new drama 'Evil' is scheduled to premiere some time next year.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/12/gong-yoo-in-talks-to-join-kim-tae-ri-in-new-drama-evil

I heard that Squid games is already being readied for Season  2 and 3. His first Insta  post was a squid--I think he was already contacted for it.

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, greenleaf said:

I heard that Squid games is already being readied for Season  2 and 3. His first Insta  post was a squid--I think he was already contacted for it.

Yes, I agree with u both gong Yoo & Lee byung Hun will appear in Squid games 2 may be 3 . Also , I wish gy 'll accept this drama offer Kim Eun Hee is good writer , Kim Tae Ri is good actress .

Also I think gy 'll choose new movie so soon. 

About The Silent sea , in my opinion it's good drama , with great acting from all actors , good start in k_drama . I don't know why all compare the silent sea to squid games. It's different genre . Also many watched The Silent sea , it's one of top 10  dramas & movies in Netflix all over the world the last few days. 

Gong Yoo name & The Silent sea were trend for days in Twitter .

So it's considered successful drama & popular . But we shouldn't compare it to American series & movies about space or compare to Squid games.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Noor90 said:

Yes, I agree with u both gong Yoo & Lee byung Hun will appear in Squid games 2 may be 3 . Also , I wish gy 'll accept this drama offer Kim Eun Hee is good writer , Kim Tae Ri is good actress .

Also I think gy 'll choose new movie so soon. 

About The Silent sea , in my opinion it's good drama , with great acting from all actors , good start in k_drama . I don't know why all compare the silent sea to squid games. It's different genre . Also many watched The Silent sea , it's one of top 10  dramas & movies in Netflix all over the world the last few days. 

Gong Yoo name & The Silent sea were trend for days in Twitter .

So it's considered successful drama & popular . But we shouldn't compare it to American series & movies about space or compare to Squid games.

Yes , I was blown away by it. Props to the series, it went head to head with proven Netflix hits--Emily in Paris and The Witcher. TSS could have gone to number 1 in many countries it were not for those heavy-hitters, but it stood its ground. They only erred in the strategy of letting  foreign reviewers view it first. Critics have their set of  "standards" already and they watch  things based on that--so they are analyzing while watching--no fun-- instead of just being an ordinary viewer  Fortunately, most people are not like that so  I read more positive reviews than negative.

• Like 1

Netflix’s ‘The Silent Sea’ Is One Of Its Best Sci-Fi Series To Date

Paul Tassi
Senior Contributor

silent2

The Silent Sea

NETFLIX

Netflix has managed to cultivate a large number of high quality international offerings in a way most of its competition has not, and leading that charge has been Korea, producing a huge number of series, including most famously, global mega hit Squid Game.

I’ve watched a number of these, and while I have my favorites (Kingdom!), I think I’ve found another great one. The Silent Sea is currently rising up Netflix’s charts, behind only top 10 series The Witcher and Emily in Paris returning for their second seasons, but don’t miss it. It’s definitely one of Netflix’s best Korean series, and best sci-fi series period, I’d argue.

The Silent Sea tells the story of an earth ravaged by drought, where a large crew is tasked with traveling to an abandoned moon base to retrieve a sample of…something that is supposed to help alleviate the issue. The leads are Train to Busan’s Gong Yoo and the instantly recognizable Bae Doona, from Kingdom and Sense8, as the captain of the mission and its lead scientist, respectively.

the silent sea

The Silent Sea

NETFLIX

The crew is large because naturally, people are going to die. More or less everything about the mission to the moon base is a mystery, including most things being hidden from the crew itself. Among the questions:

• What caused the accident that led to the deaths at the moon base years ago?
  • Why did the government lie about it and cover it up?
  • What is the sample that they’re tasked with collecting?
  • What are all the locked high security clearance doors hiding?
  • Who in the group is a corporate spy?
  • What’s killing off the crew of the mission?

And somehow, miraculously, The Silent Sea provides meaningful and interesting answers to pretty much all of these questions by the end. I was also impressed with the production value and script here. Sometimes I’ve seen other international shows that don’t quite get the budget they deserve, but this is an extremely refined production, and up there with any other high profile hit Netflix puts out.

If we’re talking “tiers” of quality sci-fi on Netflix, I’d put Stranger Things, Altered Carbon season 1 and Dark in the ultra-gold standard level. The Silent Sea may be a rung below that, perhaps, but it’s gripping, interesting and full of fantastic performances from its cast. Despite being based on a singular short film, it does seem to be set up for future seasons and further mysteries, though the ending would be satisfying as a one-off as well. Given its performance on the charts so far, I’d say a season 2 is likely, but we’ll have to see.

The Silent Sea is difficult to discuss as anything past the premise feels like a spoiler, but if you like sci-fi horror and good mysteries, I think you’ll enjoy it. Check it out.

• Like 1

Gong Yoo "The picture drawn by Choi Woo-shik, I'm the only dinosaur... I know it's a dinosaur statue" [Short Interview]

Enter 2021.12.30. 4:10 pm

Modified 2021.12.30. 4:11pm
0003017089_001_20211230161102185.jpg?type=w430
Wooshik Choi's drawing of Gong Yoo as a dinosaur/Youtube captureActor Gong Yoo, a colleague of the same agency, Woo-shik Choi, expressed his feelings about a picture of himself.

When Gong Yoo was asked if he had seen a picture of Choi Woo-shik recently in an interview with 'Sea of Silence' held online on the 30th, Gong Yoo said, "I did," and said, "I spoke harshly to (Choi Woo-shik). Everyone else is human, but I'm not the only person. It's a dinosaur," he said with a laugh. Choi Woo-shik recently lamented that he drew pictures of the actors of his agency one by one on the official YouTube of his agency Soop Entertainment, but among them, he only drew a dinosaur.

Gong Yoo said, "Soon, on the YouTube channel operated by our company, the actors in the agency will receive a picture drawn by Choi Woo-shik and show how they react. I don't know how it was edited, but I said harshly." trembled nervously
0003017089_002_20211230161102203.jpg?type=w430
Share/Photo courtesy of NetflixGong Yoo also said that he recently created an Instagram account, saying, "Actually, it's because of overseas fans." He added, "This year is the 20th anniversary. Fans from all over the world form groups to celebrate regularly, so I thought about whether there would be a way to communicate something for them, and after much deliberation, I created an Instagram account."

Gong Yoo said, "It is not easy for overseas fans to enter the fan cafe where I am writing because of the sign-up process." "So, after much consideration, I decided to use Instagram. I know that many people around the world are talking to me in their own languages. I see. Thank you for liking this so much." He continued, "There are things I didn't want to do for a long time, and I hate posting only great photos because I'm crooked." He continued, "There are long-time fans who are worried about doing Instagram, and I wrote a handwritten letter to them. There must be some weirdness and sickness somewhere. There are people around who say that there are no proper photos." He laughed.

Gong Yoo also said, "The best thing I did this year was to briefly participate in the 'Squid Game' to help the director and play 'Sea of Silence'." He said, "I haven't made any plans for next year. . When asked if he would appear in 'Squid Game 2', he said, "I've been close to director Hwang Dong-hyuk and contacted him often, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Reporter Jeong Hwa aoi@mtstarnews.com

Reporter Hyung-hwa Jeong (aoi@mtstarnews.com)

• Like 1

Gong Yoo "I don't intentionally avoid romance after 'Goblin'... But~" [Short Interview]

Enter 2021.12.30. 3:44 PM

Modified 2021.12.30. 3:45 PM
0003017063_001_20211230154501282.jpg?type=w430
Share/Photo courtesy of NetflixActor Gong Yoo said that he did not intentionally avoid the romance genre after the tvN drama 'Goblin', one of the representative works of the romance genre.

Gong Yoo said in an online interview on the 30th. 'Sea of Silence', which was released on Netflix on the 24th, tells the story of elite crew members who received a special mission and left for a research base abandoned on the moon, set in a near-future earth ravaged by the depletion of essential resources. Solid actors such as Bae Doo-na, Gong Yoo, Lee Jun, Kim Seon-young, Lee Mu-saeng, and Lee Seong-wook appeared in the cast, and actor Jung Woo-sung participated as a producer and is attracting attention.

When Gong Yoo was asked that he avoids the romance genre after 'Goblin' and is mainly working on works that help female protagonists in sequels such as 'Kim Ji-young, Born 1982' and 'Sea of Silence' not," he said. He added, "I came to this because of how I did it, but I think it became that way from when (because I was doing what I wanted to do) out of the works that were suggested to me at that time."

Gong Yoo said, "Rather than the size of the role, I am not a director or writer, but I think it would be good to plan something together. He continued, "Or it seems that I want to tell people something. It seems to be a choice based on my emotions and instincts. It is better to enter into such a story because I am learning than to say, 'I am this kind of person in front of people. I think it's because I think it's the best," he added. He also burst into laughter, saying, "It's all works that emphasize female protagonists.

Gong Yoo also said, "It's a very natural thing to say, but I'm not reckless in challenging myself," but, "There is something wriggling within me. It seems to be telling similar stories to people who are in close contact with me in the part, and who have similar goals to me.” Then he added, "That's why it became like this at some point.

Gong Yoo said about Jung Woo-sung's participation in 'Sea of Silence' as a producer, "I am interested in planning and producing, and I thought that someday I would like to tell the story I want to tell as small things with like-minded people." He continued, "However, while doing this work (seeing Jung Woo-sung), I reflected rather than stimulated.

On the other hand, Gong Yoo said, "The biggest thing that 'Sea of Silence' left me is how far we must go for our survival, even if it is somewhat unethical for mankind." He added, "I was like that when I was filming, and I'm still thinking about it now," he added.

He said, "Originally, when I showered, I turned on the hot water and warmed the air." "After doing this work, I didn't do that and turned off the water. “I saw that he wrote that he had to turn off the water. When that happens, it feels rewarding,” he said.

Gong Yoo also said, "In my case, I am a person who thinks that an individual's certain beliefs and beliefs are very important. I don't think so," he said. He continued, "Also, 'Sea of Silence' is not a confrontation between good and evil, but a story that constantly tries to move forward in conflict." I think it should be possible,” he added.

Reporter Jeong Hwa aoi@mtstarnews.com

Reporter Hyung-hwa Jeong (aoi@mtstarnews.com)

• Like 3

'Sea of Silence' Gong Yoo "Jung Woo-sung is a good producer and senior..." (interview)

Enter 2021.12.30. 4:19 PM
0001391527_001_20211230161901418.jpg?type=w430

(Export News Correspondent Lee Chang-gyu) Gong Yoo of 'Sea of Silence' talked about working with Jung Woo-sung and Bae Doo-na.

On the afternoon of the 30th, a video interview was held with Gong Yoo, the Netflix original series 'Sea of Silence'.

'Sea of Silence' is a work that tells the story of elite crews who left for a research base abandoned on the moon on a special mission in a near-future earth ravaged by the depletion of essential resources. Gong Yoo takes on the role of Han Yun-jae, an elite soldier.

Gong Yoo said about his collaboration with Bae Doo-na, who plays Song Ji-an, "I have always thought of Bae Doo-na as an iconic actress. So I thought that I would like to work with him someday, but this time we are together." The attitude towards the actors was really good. And as a person standing at the center of the work, Mr. Doona was able to finish the work well because she held the center without shaking. I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you."

Regarding Jung Woo-sung, who became a producer, he said, "I didn't have a chance to get to know him personally or in the works, but what I felt this time was that he had a tremendous desire for the work." "As he is an actor, he knew what actors needed. It was a time when I was moved and learned a lot by seeing that he took care of everyone including the youngest actor. He was a very open-minded producer and senior."

Still, "I just hope you don't do sloppy gags on set.

Gong Yoo talks about his latest project

Enter 2021.12.30. 3:00 PM
202112301459222410_1_20211230150006545.jpg?type=w430

[NewsN Reporter Lee Min-ji] (Following interview ②)

※ Some spoilers are included.

The Netflix series 'Sea of Silence', released on December 24, is set on a special mission in the near future Earth ravaged by the depletion of essential resources. It tells the story of elite crew members who left for an abandoned research base. It is Korea's first sci-fi mystery thriller with the moon as its subject matter, and it is a work that has received a lot of attention from the planning stage.

Gong Yoo takes on the role of Han Yun-jae, the youngest expedition leader at the Space Agency. He is a person who puts the safety of his crew first and does not hesitate to sacrifice himself. There is also a conflict with Song Ji-an (Bae Doona), who raises questions about the base.

- Is there a scene in 'Sea of Silence' that you liked the most and the scene you regret the most?
▲ There are some scenes that made me goosebumps when I first saw the work. The first is the scene where Gong Su-chan is infected with the virus for the first time and vomits water, and Hong Dak tries to save him. As it was the first time he was infected with the virus, the death of the operator had to be described in detail. The first time I saw that god, I got goosebumps. The second scene is the scene in which the scene where I screamed without knowing was falling from the elevator. I struggled so much while filming. I put 10 to 12 wires. In order to control the full setup of the space suit and me, the staff raised and lowered me, and my back was bent and chaotic. It was very difficult, but I had fun filming it. I was excited to see how it would be implemented visually, but it was better than I expected. The sad part was that I wanted to run faster, but unfortunately I couldn't. Also, there are many scenes where the actors run together as a group, so we had to match each other's pace, and it's a bit disappointing that we couldn't speed it up because of the weight.

- A game with the 'Sea of Silence' team hosted by Netflix is becoming a hot topic.
▲ I met the wrong team. Whether it’s Musaeng or Jung Woo-sung sunbaenim… I’m doing my best to play the game, but I was upset because I met the wrong team. (Laughs)

- Coincidentally, after 'Goblin', 'Kim Ji-young, Born 1982' is also a work in which female protagonists are more emphasized. Are you deliberately avoiding emphasizing romance or roles when choosing a work?
▲ I hear a lot of stories like this from fans. not deliberately avoiding I'm not avoiding romance. How did I make it like this It seems like since when Production planning, director, or writer rather than the size of the role, it seems to fit naturally into a work that I think it would be good to remember. Or something I want to talk about. It seems to me that these actions are based on my emotions and instincts. 'I am such a person. Rather than saying, 'I hope it will be like this', I think it's best for me to enter a work that conveys such a story as one person, so it seems to have continued like this. It's not that I deliberately follow genres or avoid them.

- The previous work 'Seobok' and this 'Sea of Silence' consider human beings, technology, and the environment. I think I had a lot of meaningful thoughts by appearing in the work myself.
▲ It is also the most attractive point. That is the biggest thing that 'Sea of Silence' left me. Even if humanity is somewhat unethical, how far should we go for our survival? Will you pick the forbidden fruit? I kept thinking about that part. Even when filming and even after finishing 'Sea of Silence', I worry about that. I can't give you a definitive answer right now, so I have to keep thinking and thinking about it in the future. We seem to be in the process. I feel that I need to be more vigilant about the environment while shooting these kinds of works. Ironically, the development of technology and science eventually pollutes the environment. In the end, I am a person who believes that individual beliefs and beliefs are important. Rather than rushing into what the unspecified majority say is right, shouldn't each of us live with a certain philosophy and beliefs? Don't be intimidated by the majority, and when there is something to be said, I think that a few people should be able to speak according to their philosophy and beliefs. In our drama, the confrontation between Song Ji-an and Han Yun-jae is not between good and evil. It's sadder because it's a conflict between good and good, but I think we have to move forward in that conflict.

- If you look at the recent selection of works such as 'Seobok' or 'Sea of Silence', they contain philosophical questions. Did you choose it because there are parts that are in contact with your usual interests or thoughts?
▲ Yes, but I think that it is because I want to fill my shortcomings. Although it is a character, what I experienced as a character remains for me because I am in such a situation and go through such a time. There is a desire to feel and fill something by entering it. It's not because I'm a philosophical person and I'm great, but I wonder if a different perspective or point of view might arise from experiencing the points I'm thinking and pondering about.

- I wonder if you feel the meaning and joy of the challenge itself
 I do n't challenge myself recklessly. Rather than unconditionally challenging a challenge, I have a trembling inside of me, and I think the way to express it is to tell a similar story with people who are in touch with me and have similar goals. The challenge itself does not mean 'unconditional challenge'.

- Did you see the reaction to Choi Woo-shik's paintings of actors from his agency was explosive
▲ A video of actors receiving Choi's paintings will be released through our company's YouTube channel. you can look at that I remember talking harshly. Everyone is human, but I'm not the only one. I know I'm a dinosaur statue, but I'm not the only one. Even the forest publicity team posted it.

- I first met Netflix viewers through 'Squid Game'. Will we be able to meet Takjiman in season 2 or 3?
▲ I don't know. I have a close relationship with the director, and I contact him often, but he is very busy right now. The last time I was contacted was when I was in self-quarantine after arriving from the United States. You didn't tell me anything specific, so I don't know how it's going. I always look at the scenario and judge like myself. (Laughs)

- With 'Squid Game', he became a world-wild man, and with 'Sea of Silence' he became an icon of justice. Are there any parts of your life where you feel global popularity?
▲ I don't know. (Laughs) There is such a thing. I couldn't go abroad because of Corona 19, so I didn't have direct contact with them, but I got an Instagram account. I feel that people from all over the world are telling a lot of stories. It was the 20th anniversary of their debut this year, and the decisive reason for opening Instagram is because of overseas fans. There was a coalition of overseas fans who supported them before then. There were groups who congratulated me every time, whether it was my birthday or my 20th anniversary. They keep contacting me like that and send me gifts, but there is no way I can communicate with them. I have been thinking about it for a long time because it is not easy for foreign fans to come to the fan cafe where I am writing in Korea. After much consideration, I opened Instagram, and at best, I only occasionally post photos, but the fans liked it. There are only great pictures, so I post pictures of the squid I caught. There were fans who were worried about doing Instagram, so I wrote a letter explaining it. I said that my Instagram would be somewhere in the seriousness, the absurdity, and the sickness. There are people around me telling me not to do that on Instagram because I don't have a proper picture.

- Looking back on this year, what was the best thing you did? I'm also curious about the New Year's plans
▲ The most rewarding thing to do was to appear in friendship to help the director during 'Squid Game' and to film 'Sea of Silence'. I think I got help. I don't seem to be making any New Year's resolutions for some time. I want to go fishing after work. (Photo=Netflix)
  • Like 2