• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest youyou1430270761

^ haha

ohh..this thread is going to be handy.

i can speak Vietnamese and read a little but i fail at writing >.>.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest christelle-g

Hi people!

Could you please translate this into Vietnamese please towards a family (Northern Vietnamese if possible).

"With you, I have laughed alot and learnt tons of new thing (special thanks to Mike).

I was very happy with you and I would never forget how well you all have welcomed me on my first day."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people!

Could you please translate this into Vietnamese please towards a family (Northern Vietnamese if possible).

"With you, I have laughed alot and learnt tons of new thing (special thanks to Mike).

I was very happy with you and I would never forget how well you all have welcomed me on my first day."

*I translate "you" to "bạn" (friend/same age person). If you want to change it, please specify.

"Cùng với bạn, mình đã cười rất nhiều và học được rất nhiều điều mới (đặt biệt gửi lời cảm ơn đến Mike).

Mình rất vui cùng với bạn và mình sẽ không bao giờ quên sự đón chào của bạn trong ngày đầu tiên của mình."

Hope it helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest raineng

can anyone help me with the 'tones' that are supposed to be on top of letters? I have an address/place, but it's written without the tones..

address: To 4 Ap Tan Hoa

city: Tan An Tan Chau

Thanks!

address: Tổ 4 Ấp Tân Hòa

city: Tân An Tân Châu

Guest MangoStar

Recently, my boyfriend asked me if I would be willing to learn Vietnamese. Not knowing what I'd be getting myself into, I said, "Sure thing!" Of course this is to try and impress his parents and butter them up a bit. (silly, eh?)

Here's my problem. Despite the tons of information on the internet, I'm having a difficult time finding a good starting point. For instance, what dialect do I learn? What pronunciations etc? I did learn a decent amount of Mandarin Chinese, so I thought the tones wouldn't scare me.

I was dead wrong. I'm just all around lost. Can anyone help me?

• 5 weeks later...

Recently, my boyfriend asked me if I would be willing to learn Vietnamese. Not knowing what I'd be getting myself into, I said, "Sure thing!" Of course this is to try and impress his parents and butter them up a bit. (silly, eh?)

Here's my problem. Despite the tons of information on the internet, I'm having a difficult time finding a good starting point. For instance, what dialect do I learn? What pronunciations etc? I did learn a decent amount of Mandarin Chinese, so I thought the tones wouldn't scare me.

I was dead wrong. I'm just all around lost. Can anyone help me?

Ask your boyfriend what dialect his family speaks.

Dialects

Each dialect has it's own set of tones.(I know it's kinda confusing)

Guest wingsywingsy

Ví phỏng đường đời bằng phẳng cả, anh hùng hào kiệt có hơn ai

Can someone please translate this, and also tell me what dialect this is (that is, if you can tell based on the vocabulary)? It seems like a famous phrase (I hope it's not offensive politically). I tried looking it up, but tbh, Viet translations are rare, and Google doesn't make sense. xD

Thank you!

Also...

*I translate "you" to "bạn" (friend/same age person). If you want to change it, please specify.

"Cùng với bạn, mình đã cười rất nhiều và học được rất nhiều điều mới (đặt biệt gửi lời cảm ơn đến Mike).

Mình rất vui cùng với bạn và mình sẽ không bao giờ quên sự đón chào của bạn trong ngày đầu tiên của mình."

I'm curious what that would look like in southern Vietnamese. (Someone please do another translation? xD)

Just out of curiosity, is northern/std. Vietnamese and southern Vietnamese mostly similar in writing, or are they quite different because of both vocabulary and phonetics?

----

I'm not Vietnamese, but recently, I met two really good friends who are Vietnamese--haha, they always speak it (the southern dialect). I've always been interested in learning more popular languages like Korean and Japanese (lols, I already know some Chinese), but I never thought much about Vietnamese until now...actually, I really like the language. ^^ I have no idea from where to start learning...but I still want to be able to communicate in some elementary southern Vietnamese with those two friends one day.

^ I'm Vietnamese, though not growing up in Vietnam, I have pretty good knowledge about the language in speaking and writing. I think the main difference between North and South Vietnam is the dialect. There's not much of a difference in writing as each person with different dialects will pronounce it differently. North Vietnam and South Vietnam do have different words for the same meaning sometimes, but I suggest you not to think much about it. Meaning, doesn't matter whether an letter or article is written by someone from North or South Vietnam, anyone who can read Vietnamese will be able to read and understand it.

The translations amyoii provided you is just Vietnamese. It won't suddenly change with the Southern or Northern dialect -lol-

This, Ví phỏng đường đời bằng phẳng cả, anh hùng hào kiệt có hơn ai, is part of famous Chinese poem. The Chinese characters were continued to be used in Vietnamese (like with Japan and Korea), called chữ Nho. Therefor it's not easy to even understand what it means for someone not fluent in Vietnamese. Where did you get it anyway? lol

Literally translated: 'Imagine life's path were to be flat and smooth, a patriotic hero would be no better than anyone else.'

A lot of these poems have morals about them and they're really wise sayings too. If you don't understand what the poem means even after translation then just say so haha

Oh and if you're wondering, I speak the Southern dialect.

Guest wingsywingsy

^ I'm Vietnamese, though not growing up in Vietnam, I have pretty good knowledge about the language in speaking and writing. I think the main difference between North and South Vietnam is the dialect. There's not much of a difference in writing as each person with different dialects will pronounce it differently. North Vietnam and South Vietnam do have different words for the same meaning sometimes, but I suggest you not to think much about it. Meaning, doesn't matter whether an letter or article is written by someone from North or South Vietnam, anyone who can read Vietnamese will be able to read and understand it.

The translations amyoii provided you is just Vietnamese. It won't suddenly change with the Southern or Northern dialect -lol-

haha. yeah, i wasn't sure if Vietnamese is like Chinese where there is just one written system and many different dialects, since, like you mentioned, there are different words that they use. xD

This, Ví phỏng đường đời bằng phẳng cả, anh hùng hào kiệt có hơn ai, is part of famous Chinese poem. The Chinese characters were continued to be used in Vietnamese (like with Japan and Korea), called chữ Nho. Therefor it's not easy to even understand what it means for someone not fluent in Vietnamese. Where did you get it anyway? lol

Literally translated: 'Imagine life's path were to be flat and smooth, a patriotic hero would be no better than anyone else.'

A lot of these poems have morals about them and they're really wise sayings too. If you don't understand what the poem means even after translation then just say so haha

Oh wow, that's deep. haha, I saw my friend write it on his blog, but I felt too embarrassed to be asking since it obviously wasn't for me. Do you know the name of the Chinese poem? ^//////^

Thank you so much for translating. gosh, I really am starting to like the Vietnamese language more and more (even though I know practically no Vietnamese besides what I've read in this thread :)), especially with how the language uses a lot of idioms, etc.

Chinese and other Asian languages also have their idioms, but tbh, only some of them are used, and even then, it really doesn't get used much.

Vietnamese seems too underrated, no? The people in this thread who already knew some Vietnamese said that Vietnamese is pretty easy to learn because of the alphabet (that is based on the Roman alphabet though not quite the same, particularly in sound), but as someone who doesn't know the sounds, etc., it seems much harder to self-learn than Japanese and Korean.

Oh and if you're wondering, I speak the Southern dialect.

lols, that's cool. ^^ The only reason why I wanted to learn that dialect first over the Northern one is because the people I know speak this dialect, haha. Did you go to school to learn Vietnamese, or did you get taught the language at home?

Guest wingsywingsy

lols, I hope it's okay for me to post here again, but this thread is so inactive. ):

how do you say "friend" in vietnamese?

and how do you say "let's be friends" in vietnamese?

and how do you say "thank you"?

thank you! (lols) ^^

Do you know the name of the Chinese poem? ^//////^

I did some googling and this is what I found:

An ủi Mai Lão Bạng (title)

Bơ vơ đất khách bác cùng tôi:

Riêng bác cay chua nếm đủ mùi.

Tính mạng bao phen gần chết hụt.

Mày râu ba lượt bị giam rồi!

Trời toan đại dụng nên rèn chí,

Chúa giúp thành công tất có hồi

Nếu phải đường đời bằng phẳng hết,

Anh hùng hào kiệt có hơn ai.

I'm not sure about the author as I get different names with every source, so I won't mention the name unless you want me to haha

I'm not sure about Vietnamese being underrated, but I do think that media has a lot to do with it. In Korea we have Kpop and Kdramas, in Japan we have Anime and Vietnam so far (in my opinion) doesn't have anything that creates a 'wave' or great amount of interest to different cultures. Vietnamese, though it's written with Latin Alphabet, isn't really 'easy' if you ask me. I think it's only easier compared to Japanese or Korean when it comes to writing. When speaking, I think Korean is a lot easier and it not being a tonal language has a lot to do with that as well.

I'm born overseas, but Vietnamese has always been the primary language that we use at home and so I grew up having Vietnamese as my first language. I'm either lucky or not, it's just how you see it :lol:

And to answer your second post:

Friend - bạn

Let's be friends - mình hảy làm bạn

Thank you - cám ơn/cảm ơn (cám and cảm are two different tones, but it doesn't really matter which one you use)

I hope you can pronounce them though :P

Guest wingsywingsy

Let's be friends - mình hảy làm bạn

lols, I heard this sounds awkward in Vietnamese, and culturally, things like this just aren't said. :D I guess I should have known since in Chinese, for example, this kind of thing sounds awkward too.

Can someone translate:

Therefore, I hope your day will be full of color and laughter too.

(^ I want to include this in a birthday message--and if it's too awkward-sounding once translated, could you give me a phrase that expresses the same kind of meaning but in a proper way instead? thank you so much! cảm ơn!)

Guest nguyenx_x

what does 'chom chom' mean? o_O; with a 'v' on top of the o's i believe.. i was singing karaoke and those words appeared.. a lot.

and iv'e ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wondered..

how do you pronounce nyugen and ngo????

& is pho pronounced as phuhh?

its nguyen not nyugen. and its pronounced: ngu ween. like "eatiNG" "qUEEn" "EN" and then u gotta say the accent too but whatever.listen here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguy%E1%BB%85n apparently north and south says it different. but im south so i say it how they show.

ngo: uses the same "ng" sound and just an "oh" so it sounds like ngoh\

pho: sounds like fuh

hope this helps!! : D haha my last names nguyen btw if u couldnt tell by my name>.>

Guest pepsi_twist9

@wingsywingsy I don't think you can say anything similar to that in Vietnamese, but if you want a translation anyway, it'd be:

Tôi muốn ngày này có nhiều màu và cười.

You don't say your day in Vietnamese, so instead I wrote this day.

But it doesn't make sense.

Archived