Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

6 hours ago, widala said:

I'm happy that Lee Ji Eun won many awards for her role as Lee Ji An in My Ahjussi...

Park Ho San and Jang Ki Yong won some awards too. And they DESERVED IT, for their talents and hard work.

But, it breaks my heart that Lee Sun Kyun haven't won anything for his work in My Ahjussi. I mean, he's the AHJUSSI, the soul of the drama.

I know these awards shows don't always have the greatest credibility on determining their winners, but it is still a form of recognition.

Reveal hidden contents

Although AAA is getting ridiculed because they gave artists of the year awards to like nine people?

And there's a lot of categories with a lot of winners so it seems like they gave the award to anyone who attended :sweatingbullets:

And maybe he's happy enough even without these awards (seing how genuinely he was glad for that other actor who won best actor at the Seoul award), so it probably doesn't really matter to him.

I don't know... I'm just hoping for the best for him on Baeksang and his future career...

Sounds very much like a popularity award show. Was there even a nominee list for each category? If not, then I think the organizers just invited whoever they wanted to receive the awards.

I've resigned to the fact that LSK is just not popular in South Korea. If after playing such a well-loved character like PDH he still gets overlooked, then nothing will ever change his popularity. I don't understand it myself. Maybe they don't enjoy his kind of acting, or the way he speaks, or his looks. Jo Jin Woong shot to super stardom (making all kinds of actor rankings and winning many awards) after shooting A Hard Day with LSK. So yeah, what's his secret?

Anyway, I really hope Baeksang gives him at least a nomination if not a win. Really, can any actor top LSK's performance as PDH this year?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Jo Jin Woong shot to super stardom (making all kinds of actor rankings and winning many awards) after shooting A Hard Day with LSK. So yeah, what's his secret?

I don't know anything about entertainment (movie) industry, so I don't know what is the procedure on how these actors choose their projects. And how much the agency's influence? How the decisions were made?

If you compare JJW and LSK portfolio after A Hard Day, JJW's had more projects and some of them are critically acclaimed. While LSK had less, some of them listed in Asianwiki hasn't been released yet (or maybe never, like Love is a Virus), and those already released were fun to watch but not award winning projects.

So I don't know, is it because he made wrong decisions? Or his agency? Or like you said

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Maybe they don't enjoy his kind of acting, or the way he speaks, or his looks.

Or maybe he doesn't have the right connection?

14 minutes ago, widala said:

I don't know anything about entertainment (movie) industry, so I don't know what is the procedure on how these actors choose their projects. And how much the agency's influence? How the decisions were made?

If you compare JJW and LSK portfolio after A Hard Day, JJW's had more projects and some of them are critically acclaimed. While LSK had less, some of them listed in Asianwiki hasn't been released yet (or maybe never, like Love is a Virus), and those already released were fun to watch but not award winning projects.

So I don't know, is it because he made wrong decisions? Or his agency? Or like you said

Or maybe he doesn't have the right connection?

I have no idea if it was simply a case of not picking good projects after A Hard Day.  Like you said, The Advocate, The King's Case Note, and A Special Lady were not very memorable. Love is a Virus never even went to shooting. However, starting in 2016, he has been chosen by one well-respected director/actor after another. I am thinking This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair, then Bad Police (director of Man From Nowhere), then PMC with super star Ha Jung Woo, then of course Kim Won Seuk for My Ajusshi, followed by that famous director for Parasite, and the next project with another big actor. So I have my fingers crossed that all these projects will be both critically acclaimed and do well in the box office. 

By the way, I wish I knew what happened to Bad Police. Why didn't it get released? I hope there is nothing wrong with the post-production or its quality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont know LSG well so idk if he ever dealing with crazy fans aso.

But if im an actor, i prefer to have life as his: happy family, less gossips/bad rumors, no one pay much attention to whatever/whereever you do/wear/are. More peace of mind.

Spoiler

I think IU will have a hard time especially regarding her future spouse. Hope not. So LSG must be grateful for his life now. Awards just a bonus.

Just a thought, could be wrong.

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

So I have my fingers crossed that all these projects will be both critically acclaimed and do well in the box office. 

Yes, hopefully next year would be better and for the future as well...

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

By the way, I wish I knew what happened to Bad Police. Why didn't it get released? I hope there is nothing wrong with the post-production or its quality. 

The costar is monk right? Asianwiki said 2019... I hope everything goes as plan too...

2 hours ago, dotonly said:

I dont know LSG well so idk if he ever dealing with crazy fans aso.

But if im an actor, i prefer to have life as his: happy family, less gossips/bad rumors, no one pay much attention to whatever/whereever you do/wear/are. More peace of mind

Haha, I've been thinking about this too...

Maybe he chose not to be too famous?:grimace:

This reminded me of one of his interviews, he said that his wife didn't really like it when people come up to them, so she told her husband not to speak too loudly when they are in public. Because you can cover up face, but if they hear his voice people will instantly recognize him. But his wife's warning only made him wanted to speak even louder :lol: He's such a kid

Spoiler

As for IU, I really hope that her fans would grow up with her... Like Bigbang's fan, VIP, who will support and happy if the member get married. No longer have "oppa is mine" mentality. But still, haters will hate. Hoping for the best for IU too...

On 11/27/2018 at 8:52 AM, widala said:

Since it's a gangster movie, so I think there's no real good guy or bad guy. Only "protagonist" Kim Hye Soo character who was the right hand of the gangster boss.

LSK character (ironically named Sang Hoon) was the henchman who did the dirty works for the boss. He's in love with KHS.

In my opinion, LSK char is pathetic and pitiful. He's continuously being looked down by the boss, KHS won't love him back, he was used by a dirty prosecutor...

Reveal hidden contents

Once he found out that KHS had a son with the boss, he went rampant, betrayed and killed everyone. He tricked KHS to kill him because what was the point of living without your love boo hoo

This secondary character's musing summed up the movie for me

Reveal hidden contents

xFNK68H_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Let’s not forget the one .. cough .. cough scene he gave in the car. I know that was not a gentle love making stuff but man .... LSK was hot and rough !!!

• LOL 2

An interview with Cine21 (I think):

http://www.cine21.com/news/view/?mag_id=91856

Anyone want to translate? I kinda gathered he wants to shed his "romantic guy" image. Why, LSK, why?!? Stop saying things like that 'coz you might just really discourage casting directors who think you are still a fit for a "romantic" role.

@sadiesmithHmm...I guess I know why he wants to shed his "romantic guy" image. If you followed his interviews, one he did when was doing "Miss Korea",  that he didn't feel comfortable with bed scene because he's a married man and perhaps he doesn't want to bother his wife/sons. He's known for very fond of his wife/family. You can see after that infamous kiss with Lee Yeon Hee in "Miss Korea", he is slowly but surely choosing role which is not prioritize "romantic" sides.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roseariel said:

@sadiesmithHmm...I guess I know why he wants to shed his "romantic guy" image. If you followed his interviews, one he did when was doing "Miss Korea",  that he didn't feel comfortable with bed scene because he's a married man and perhaps he doesn't want to bother his wife/sons. He's known for very fond of his wife/family. You can see after that infamous kiss with Lee Yeon Hee in "Miss Korea", he is slowly but surely choosing role which is not prioritize "romantic" sides.

I know, I was half joking. :) Still, romantic roles can be subtle and tastefully done. But he is certainly moving away from them. You seem to have read a lot of his interviews. Been a fan for a long time?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I know, I was half joking. :) Still, romantic roles can be subtle and tastefully done. But he is certainly moving away from them. You seem to have read a lot of his interviews. Been a fan for a long time?

Hahaha...I also want to see him in a romantic role, but you know after married he was being uneasy acting romantic with his co-star so as an audience I can sense that. Some of his peers like Song Kang Ho even dared to do bold scenes in a movie not a long time ago, so yeah I guess he's wife not really support him on that case. You know someone once said, "Happy wife, happy life"...

Btw, I knew LSK from MM. I've heard about Pasta back then, but never watched it. Post MM, I've become a fan of him and read a lot interviews about him :) (in English of course).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

An interview with Cine21 (I think):

http://www.cine21.com/news/view/?mag_id=91856

Anyone want to translate? I kinda gathered he wants to shed his "romantic guy" image. Why, LSK, why?!? Stop saying things like that 'coz you might just really discourage casting directors who think you are still a fit for a "romantic" role.

Translation using Papago:

At one point, he is appearing in so many genres that it is hard to say that he is an actor specialized in a particular genre.

It's not that old, but the term 'romantic guy' used to be burdensome. However, I thought that if I try various things within a given situation, certain images will be erased someday. An actor's modifier doesn't mean he can change it because he wants to. You have to show them through the work. My texture isn't that diverse, but I think it's fun to try and accept the results and expand the scope to find something new.

===

Maybe because he is mostly known from Pasta and Coffe Prince, he tried to distance himself from his characters in those dramas which created the "romantic guy" image.

But he also have the "irritated guy" image :sweatingbullets:

I also would love to see him doing romantic drama/movie for mature audiences, something like On the Way to the Airport.

And yes, romance could be tastefully done, even without or minimal skinship (if that's really the problem). 

Chemistry could be build with just a look...

9 hours ago, roseariel said:

Btw, I knew LSK from MM. I've heard about Pasta back then, but never watched it. Post MM, I've become a fan of him and read a lot interviews about him :) (in English of course).

Could you please share his interviews here?

• Like 1