Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

10 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I looked briefly yesterday but didn't find it. Would you be able to find it again? :)

I am not sure. :(

Speaking of beard and mustache, I can't believe he actually looks even more handsome with facial hair in Payback!

117607041.2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good news!

Lotte gets ‘Sleep’, with ‘Parasite' star Lee Sun-kyun, ahead of EFM (exclusive)

BY JEAN NOH 31 JANUARY 2023

1389419_sleep_72342.jpg

Major South Korean distributor Lotte Entertainment has picked up mystery thriller Sleep, starring Jung Yu-mi of Train To Busan and Lee Sun-kyun of Parasite, and will launch sales at the upcoming European Film Market (EFM).

The film marks the feature directorial debut of Korean filmmaker Jason Yu and is produced by Lewis Pictures, the company behind Bong Joon Ho’s Okjaand award-winning crime drama Voice Of Silence, starring Yoo Ah-in.

The story centres on a pregnant wife who becomes worried about her husband’s sleeping habits. What starts out as some light sleep-talking soon escalates to unexpectedly grotesque behaviour. They consult a sleep clinic without success and as his nightmarish behaviour escalates, they desperately seek help from a shaman.

The film is in post-production and scheduled for release in 2023. A first-look photo of Jung and Lee in Sleep can be seen above.

The EFM will take place in Berlin from February 16-22, alongside the Berlinale.

Source: https://www.screendaily.com/news/lotte-gets-sleep-with-parasite-star-lee-sun-kyun-ahead-of-efm-exclusive/5178650.article

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Good news!

Since you're currently in Europe, do you know anything about this EFM? What does it mean that Sleep will "launch sales at EFM?" Does Lotte regularly market its movies internationally around the same time they are released in S. Korea? I got excited with the Feb dates, but now I realize it could be a long time before this movie actually gets shown in theaters.

• Like 1

@sadiesmith From what I understand, film distributors (like Lotte) will often go to film festivals and film events and sell their films to movie theater companies. Some movies don't get much airtime because not many theaters purchase them. Other movies get purchased by a lot of theaters and will have good runs. https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-distribution.htm

So it sounds like Lotte picking it up and taking it to the EFM means it will try to sell it to international markets and theaters, not just keep it in Korea.

21 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

What starts out as some light sleep-talking soon escalates to unexpectedly grotesque behaviour.

Not sure about this, though. What does it mean? :scream:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

So it sounds like Lotte picking it up and taking it to the EFM means it will try to sell it to international markets and theaters, not just keep it in Korea.

This is exciting. I hope it means Lotte thinks it has a lot of international appeal. Or maybe they think LSK and Jung Yumi are well known outside Korea and their names and the premise of the movie can attract movie buyers. Fingers crossed for a good run. 

Horror is so not my thing, especially if it contains anything creepy and supernatural. But I may just watch this in between my fingers, especially after JYM said she considered it a "romantic" movie. At the very least, we'll see some physical affection while they are sleeping together, right? Except for the ominous lighting in the back of the room, that first still looks more like it comes from a rom-com though. haha...

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Horror is so not my thing, especially if it contains anything creepy and supernatural.

I'm the same way. I was glad to watch Dr Brain during the daytime, and Parasite, too. Otherwise those kinds of stories affect my sleep. I feel like this patricular movie might really affect my sleep, lol.

At the very least, we'll see some physical affection while they are sleeping together, right?

That would be nice. :wub: It's been a while since we've seen an LSK character have opportunity to be affectionate.

I'm currently watching Miss Korea for the first time and I've reached episode 17. The OTP is so sweet and cute. I found this review on Fan Girl Verdict and enjoyed reading how much KFG appreciated their respect for and trust in each other.

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2014/07/26/review-miss-korea/

Nice to see "Sleep" getting some more buzz.

The quoted article, an interview with the director, was from Nov 30, 2022: https://hookmeup.kr/묵직한-신인-감독-등장-영화-잠-유재선-감독/ .

@sadiesmith This was/is purportedly the movie poster for Sleep. :o

%EC%9E%A0_%EB%B3%B4%EB%8F%84%EC%9E%90%EB%A3%8C-2-1448x2048.jpg

Excerpts:

Please briefly introduce the movie < Sleep > .

Newlyweds Sujin and Hyeonsu are the main characters, but from one day, when her husband Hyeonsu suddenly falls asleep, he behaves strangely as if he were a different person. It's the story of two people who struggle to unravel the secrets of their horrifying horrors when their symptoms, initially dismissed lightly, turn the lives of a happy newlywed into a nightmare.

I'm also curious about the lines in the movie < Sleep > . What would be the most memorable moment or scene while filming ?

It seems difficult to talk about a single scene, and I think the acting breath between the two main characters was the best. The role of Sujin was played by actress Jung Yoo-mi, and the role of Hyun-soo was played by actor Lee Sun-gyun, and I thought many times that I lived because of the acting of the two. (Laughter) If Sujin's acting diverged outwardly, Hyeonsu's acting had to converge inwardly, so the required acting quality was different. But both of them act amazingly perfectly. It was fun watching the two of them act, so I enjoyed the entire shoot.

Just hearing the names of the actors makes me look forward to it . How did you two come to be cast ?

While discussing casting with the production company, I thought how great it would be if actress Jung Yoo-mi took on the role of 'Sujin' and actress Lee Seon-gyun took on the role of 'Hyeon-su', so I wrote a scenario. Fortunately, both of them liked the scenario and wanted to meet me. I thought it would be a good opportunity, so on the day we met, I diligently explained what kind of movie <Sleep> was, why the two of them should be involved in this movie, and how I planned to make <Sleep> as a new director. I wonder if they thought positively of such a series of efforts, including the scenario.

%EC%9E%A0_%EB%B3%B4%EB%8F%84%EC%9E%90%EB%A3%8C-3.jpg

Is there a message you want to convey to the audience through the movie < Sleep > ?

I think <Sleep> is a love story. Even when I was writing the scenario, the topic in my daily life was 'marriage'. I think that's why I set the couple as the main characters. In movies that usually deal with marriage life, the main reason for conflict is with each other, right? When someone makes a big mistake, when a fight becomes more frequent, when affection fades over time. I didn't want to draw that kind of problem. Rather, I wanted to show a couple who believe in each other, support each other, and love each other like best friends. And I wanted to show them how to overcome it as a couple by throwing 'the greatest ordeal' that is no one's fault. Whether you're a couple, you constantly face obstacles and trials. I think I've been thinking a lot about what kind of attitude is right for me to deal with these problems.

But I don't think the audience should be aware of this intention. When I was making <Sleep>, my priority was to make a movie that fully utilized the fun of the genre. I think I'll be satisfied with that if the audience can have fun in immersing themselves in the movie while it's being screened.

45 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Nice to see "Sleep" getting some more buzz.

Thank you for posting the interview. I hadn't seen it and based on this little insight into the movie, I have to really tamp down my excitement. I hope it delivers both in thrill and emotional engagement. I had high expectations for Dr. Brain and Payback, and while both shows were well produced, I felt a bit detached emotionally while watching. 

On 2/1/2023 at 11:31 AM, the_sweetroad said:

I'm currently watching Miss Korea for the first time and I've reached episode 17.

Can you believe I live watched Miss Korea? It was the first LSK's show that I live watched. Sadly, last I checked it was no longer available on Viki. But I heard Viki just bought many old shows, so maybe MK is back. Have you seen This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair? It's my favorite after My Mister.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Can you believe I live watched Miss Korea? It was the first LSK's show that I live watched. Sadly, last I checked it was no longer available on Viki. But I heard Viki just bought many old shows, so maybe MK is back. Have you seen This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair? It's my favorite after My Mister.

So fun that you got to live watch it! You've been able to see LSK grow and mature as an actor over a long time now :). I was reading the Wikipedia article on MK yesterday and solved a mystery that had been growing in my mind - Wikipedia says that LSK's character is 29 years old, so he's just 4 years older than his love interest Oh Ji Young. I knew the actors were 12 years apart in real life, so for the life of me I couldn't figure out how LSK's character and OJY had gone to school together in the storyline. It makes sense now that they in fact aged LSK down to 29.

I found Miss Korea on bilibili with English subs and great quality, so if you need to watch it again let me know. :D

And yes! I loved This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair and how they teased out LSK and Song Ji Hyo's relationship in it. Lee Sang Yeob was entertaining in that show, too - nice to see that he and LSK are still good friends.

23 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I hope it delivers both in thrill and emotional engagement.

Me, too. My one question is will they be playing a young married couple? They could both pass for being in their 30's, but I wonder if the movie explores an older, more mature newlywed couple being together. Maybe their ages won't matter at all, but I'm curious.

• Like 1

A nice article talking about how LSK recommended four "undiscovered" actor friends to the casting director of his movie Helpless. These four have since gone on to become well-known actors. Not sure why the article picked the crying Park Dong Hoon image to go with the article.

https://www.salgoonews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=28180

JTBC / Online Community

• Like 1

https://www.screendaily.com/features/berlin-2023-korea-hot-projects/5179340.article
Berlin 2023: Korea hot projects

BY JEAN NOH | 17 FEBRUARY 2023

Koreans are back in Berlin with titles ranging from auteur Hong Sangsoo’s latest to superhero films, animation and debut features from rising talent.

Spoiler

314ED920-339A-4455-B2FD-C05170DBC4B0.jpg

SOURCE: NO JU-HAN / NETFLIX
‘KILL BOKSOON’

Festival

in water

Dir. Hong Sangsoo

Following three consecutive Silver Bear-winning films in the Berlinale — The Woman Who Ran (2020), Introduction (2021) and The Novelist’s Film (2022) — director Hong’s latest work will world premiere in Encounters. The drama stars Shin Seokho, Ha Seongguk and Kim Seungyun, and centres on a young actor who sets out to direct a short film. He travels to an island with two former classmates and wanders, unsure of what to shoot, until he meets a woman picking up rubbish on the coast. It is produced by Jeonwonsa Film.

Kill Boksoon

Dir. Byun Sung-hyun

Set to world premiere in Berlinale Special, this Netflix feature is written and directed by Byun, whose The Merciless premiered in Cannes’ Midnight Screenings in 2017. Cannes best actress winner Jeon Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine) stars as an assassin leading a double life as a mother raising a teenage daughter. She is thrown into battle when her two identities collide. Sul Kyung-gu (The Merciless), Kim Si-a (The Closet), Esom (Microhabitat) and Koo Kyo-hwan (Peninsula) also star. The film is produced by See At Film.

Regardless Of Us

Dir. Yoo Heung-jun

This feature debut from director Yoo has its world premiere in Berlinale Forum. The drama stars Cho Hyunjin as a middle-aged actress recovering from a sudden stroke that prevented her from attending her film’s premiere. She becomes confused as a string of colleagues visit and share different impressions of the film, with puzzling stories unravelling when she sleeps. The film also stars Choi Sungwon, Kwak Minkyu, Kim Misook, Cho Soyeon and Kang Il. Produced by Neungso Film, Regardless Of Us is due for local release in the third quarter of 2023.

Contact: M-Line Distribution (mailto:sales@mline-distribution.com)

Market

Birth

Dir. Yoo Ji-young

Winner of the Citizen Critics’ Award at Busan 2022, this drama examines how a promising young writer and her roommate/lover deal with an unplanned pregnancy that brings huge changes and conflict. The film stars Han Hae-in and Lee Han-ju.

The Childe

Dir. Park Hoon-jung

From the director of Night In Paradise and The Witch: Part 1 & 2, this action drama stars Kim Seon-ho and Kang Tae-joo. It follows a struggling Filipino-Korean boxer with an ailing mother. He receives an unexpected call and is taken to Korea, the homeland of his father, but ends up being watched and chased for malevolent reasons.

Cobweb

Dir. Kim Jee-woon

Kim, director of Cannes 2008 action adventure The Good, The Bad, The Weird and Venice 2016 title The Age Of Shadows, returns to stylish ensemble drama and black comedy with Cobweb. Set in 1970s dictatorship-­era Korea, Cannes best actor award-winner Song Kang-ho (Broker) stars as a director desperately trying to reshoot the ending of a film, with confused cast and crew as well as meddlesome censors. Im Soo-jung, Oh Jung-se, Jeon Yeo-been and Jung Soo-jung also star. Produced by Anthology Studios, Barunson Studio and Luz y Sonidos, the film is in post-production.

Contact: Barunson E&A (mailto:intl@barunsonena.com) (international excluding French-speaking territories); Finecut (mailto:cineinfo@finecut.co.kr) (French-speaking territories) 

Hi-Five

Dir. Kang Hyoung-chul

This sci-fi drama from the director of Swing Kids revolves around five people who gain supernatural abilities after receiving organ transplants. They assemble a superhero team and face off against a cult leader with the ability to absorb energy. The film stars Lee Jae-in (Hard Hit), Yoo Ah-in (#Alive), Ahn Jae-hong (Time To Hunt), Ra Mi-ran (Honest Candidate), Kim Hie-won (Perhaps Love), Oh Jung-se (TV’s It’s Okay To Not Be Okay) and Park Jin-young (Yaksha: Ruthless Operations). Produced by Annapurna Films, it is in post-production with a local release expected this year.

Ms. Apocalypse

Dir. Lim Sun-ae

From the director of An Old Lady, which won the New Currents audience award at Busan in 2019, this drama stars Lee You-young (Perhaps Love), Lim Sun-woo (Nothing Serious) and Roh Jae-won (Ditto). Set at the turn of the millennium, the story follows a dowdy accounting manager — nicknamed Ms. Apocalypse — trying to help a delivery driver who has been embezzling company money. After she is arrested and serves a few months in prison, she finds the driver’s wife waiting for her with a compelling offer. Produced by Kirin Productions in association with With A Studio, the film is in post-production.

Pororo Popstar Adventure

Dirs. Yoon Jae-wan, Kim Sung-min

In this fantasy adventure in the popular Korean children’s animation franchise, Pororo the Little Penguin and his friends are close to winning a singing contest that they entered for fun. As they advance towards the final, they face the petty jealousy of villain Big Ben. Produced by OCON Studios, the film is in production and due for release in the fourth quarter of 2023.

Contact: K-Movie Entertainment (mailto:sales@kmovieenter.com)

Project Silence (working title)

Dir. Kim Tae-gon

This disaster action drama is from the director of Sunshine Boys and Familyhood. Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite) stars as a man who is travelling with his daughter on the bridge to Incheon airport when a thick fog causes a massive chain-reaction automobile crash. Amid the chaos, mutant military dogs escape from a transport vehicle and those left on the bridge must make it through the night. Ju Ji-hoon from the Along With The Gods franchise co-stars. Produced by Blaad Studios, the film is set for release this year.

Sleep

Dir. Jason Yu

This mystery thriller starring Jung Yu-mi (Train To Busan) and Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite) marks Yu’s feature directing debut. Produced by Lewis Pictures (Okja), the story centres on a pregnant wife who becomes worried about her husband’s sleeping habits. What starts out as some light sleep-talking soon escalates to unexpectedly grotesque behaviour. They consult a sleep clinic without success, and then seek help from a shaman as his nightmarish behaviour escalates. The film is in post and scheduled for release in 2023.

Contact: Lotte Entertainment (mailto:international02@lotte.net)

Two Heart

Dir. Jung Yu-Shin

Starring Jung Man-Sik (Hunt), On Ju-wan (Honest Candidate) and Shin So-yul (A Violent Prosecutor), this drama takes place in a terminal ward where children’s last hope is to get an organ transplant. Two fathers fight desperately to each save their own child but are ultimately faced with a final choice. Produced by Miro­vision, the film is due for release in the third quarter of 2023.

Contact: Jason Chae (mailto:jason@mirovision.com), Mirovision/Studio Bonanza

Under Your Bed

Dir. Sabu

From the Japanese director of previous Berlinale Competition titles Mr. Long (2017) and Chasuke’s Journey(2015), this is Sabu’s first Korean-­language film. Based on a thriller novel by Ohishi Kei about a man who is pulled into a whirlwind of destructive love, the film stars Lee Ji-hoon (TV’s River Where The Moon Rises) and Lee Yoon-woo in a story of a man obsessed with a woman from his past who turns out to have married a violent man. Produced by Mystery Pictures, the film is in post and due for release in June.

F3B6ACD0-EED0-4BCC-9C77-699F0E7383E8.jpg

A5F17617-D9F9-408D-8BD7-AC6D09B286C7.jpg

6A634A0B-7829-492A-8EA6-5B78CD8ED202.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, Helena said:

Project Silence (working title)

Dir. Kim Tae-gon

Sleep

Dir. Jason Yu

With two movies promoted at Berlin 2023 and the potential release of Killing Romance in April, will LSK actually have three movies released this year?

Did anyone see the news of Killing Romance being released in April yesterday? Suspiciously, it was quickly retracted, and today you won't see a trace of it on any news site. Apparently LSK will be in familiar territory as he'd again play a husband of a wandering wife. :lol:  Anyway, whatever is happening behind the scenes, what little I've heard/seen has already got me too excited, especially with this kind of tweet from Pierce Conran. I wonder if he'd seen it. 

Uk_i5KiwSId_fXOvN3FwC5rZMwecJQgIDtakqdg3MotK1oA9Jnd8cvd2OmCtdo8UTvuIkx3qmIhV1N9ZZ3tS9KcfbSGVVu1Q05hcLZkmaJPgkY-rnsm0kBuwSRKQ9J7GQvMyd7Y68iPakSIWAf9Ub-E

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Did anyone see the news of Killing Romance being released in April yesterday? Suspiciously, it was quickly retracted, and today you won't see a trace of it on any news site. Apparently LSK will be in familiar territory as he'd again play a husband of a wandering wife. :lol:

Strange that it was retracted. Thanks to you, @Helena and @widala for keeping an eye out on all this news.

I bet that when LSK started out, he never thought the niche he would fill for years and years would be jilted husband :lol:. Even in Coffee Prince he was a jilted boyfriend.

• Like 1

I wonder how many SEA countries they visited?

We've seen them in Cambodia and this is Thailand...

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Did anyone see the news of Killing Romance being released in April yesterday? Suspiciously, it was quickly retracted, and today you won't see a trace of it on any news site. Apparently LSK will be in familiar territory as he'd again play a husband of a wandering wife. :lol:  Anyway, whatever is happening behind the scenes, what little I've heard/seen has already got me too excited, especially with this kind of tweet from Pierce Conran. I wonder if he'd seen it. 

From all of his unreleased movies, I'm most curious about Killing Romance because the concept seems unique and from blurry leaked photos, LSK visual is likely to be different from the usual...

Hopefully the movie will get released this year.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:27 PM, widala said:

From all of his unreleased movies, I'm most curious about Killing Romance because the concept seems unique and from blurry leaked photos, LSK visual is likely to be different from the usual...

You mean like this? What else have you seen? And while we're at it, what does "killing romance" mean? Does LSK get killed or he kills?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

You mean like this? What else have you seen? And while we're at it, what does "killing romance" mean? Does LSK get killed or he kills?

Have you seen this one?

Tho I doubt he'll look exactly like that :sweatingbullets:

I'm curious what kind of character Jonathan Na is...But judging from that painting, he's probably a narcissistic a-hole

:lol:

About the killing part, no clue from the synopsis, but maybe LSK character killed by Lee Honey and Gong Myung character? Accidentally? I don't know... I wish they release this movie soon...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, widala said:

I'm curious what kind of character Jonathan Na is...But judging from that painting, he's probably a narcissistic a-hole

I did see that. But I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a painting of LSK's character. If yes, I think your prediction is a great one. haha... Although it's not like anything he's done before, strangely I can sort of picture him playing this character. It will be wild for sure. I hope he gets to sing a song or two. Is it true that this movie had a big budget?

• Like 2