Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/689_319252.html
'Kingmaker' lead actor Lee Sun-kyun says 'nothing has really changed' after 'Parasite'

By Kwak Yeon-soo (yeons.kwak@koreatimes.co.kr) | 2021-11-22 

spacer.png
Actors Seol Kyung-gu, left, and Lee Sun-kyun attend an online press conference for the film, "Kingmaker," Monday. Courtesy of Megabox Plus M

Two years after starring in the Oscar-winning film, "Parasite," actor Lee Sun-kyun is returning to the big screen with "Kingmaker," a political drama that appears to be timely, as the nation has four months to go before the presidential election in March. The actor tried to be humble, saying that he doesn't feel any different before or after receiving the international acclaim.

"Nothing really has changed," he said during a press conference for the film, Monday. "To be able to bring the positive energy from my last film and come play in this role was an exciting opportunity for me."

Directed by Byun Sung-hyun, whose 2017 film, "The Merciless," was invited for a midnight screening at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, the upcoming film follows politician Kim Woon-beom (Seol Kyung-gu), who teams up with "kingmaker" Seo Chang-dae (Lee), to run for the presidential election. The cast also includes Yoo Jae-myung, Jo Woo-jin and Kim Sung-oh.

The director said that he wanted to raise the question of whether or not those with questionable ethics can still run for the election and if they win, if their victory can be justified. 

"I wanted to ask the audience whether the end can justify the means. The film is set in the 1960s and '70s, but its story is entirely relevant to these days," Byun said.

Seol said that he received the script for "Kingmaker" when he was filming "The Merciless."

"It was sort of a one-plus-one deal," he said with a laugh. "At that time, I was like, 'Let's see how The Merciless turns out, and then I'll decide on the next one.' The 2017 film was a success, so I decided to take part in this project."

spacer.png
From left, actor Seol Kyung-gu, director Byun Sung-hyun and actor Lee Sun-kyun pose during the online press conference for the film, "Kingmaker," Monday. Courtesy of Megabox Plus M

The veteran actor revealed that he was under a lot of pressure because he had to portray a demagogue. Seol completed a five-hour long filibuster scene, memorizing all the lines. Since it was impossible to gather a large crowd in the climactic scene, he put in extra effort to captivate the audience and deliver a killer speech. 

"Woon-beom has this bold, brash and provocative personality that just put me under so much pressure," Seol said. 

"I was stressed out about the speech scene because it was just me talking endlessly of his lofty goals. I didn't know how to adjust the tone and manner of Woon-beom. I wasn't sure how it would look after blending with CGI (computer-generated imagery), so I asked Byun for help."

Lee said that he was over the moon when he received the offer because he was a big fan of both Byun and Seol.

"After watching 'The Merciless,' I became a fan of Byun. His unique directing style is very fresh and stylish. Moreover, it was an honor to star alongside Seol, who has been my role model since the beginning of my career," he said. 

The 46-year-old actor shared a story showing how he felt he was destined to take part in the project. 

"Before I decided to join the cast, I was filming the tvN series, 'My Mister.' There was a scene of me watching a movie in a theater, and the movie that the production team played was 'Peppermint Candy,' with Seol in the lead role. It felt like I was destined to work with him," Lee said. 

He added, "There's another funny story about Byun. We actually ran into each other in a beauty salon. I remember telling him that I enjoyed reading the script for 'Kingmaker.'"

Alongside "Parasite," Lee is known for the Apple Original series, "Dr. Brain" while Seol appeared recently in director Lee Joon-ik's black-and-white film, "The Book of Fish."

"Kingmaker" will hit local theaters in December.

• Thanks 1

Parasite’s Lee Sun-Kyun Reveals The Most Uncomfortable Part Of Filming Apple TV+’s Sci-Fi Thriller Dr Brain

Yes, it’s impossible not to ask about his voice.

BY DOUGLAS TSENG
22 NOV 2021 11:56

spacer.png

I struggled to stay awake during 8days.sg’s interview with Lee Sun-Kyun. 

Okay, that didn’t come out right. 

I mean no disrespect to the esteemed 46-year-old Korean actor, best known for the drama My Mister and the Oscar-garlanded Parasite — as well as his deep, sonorous, almost hypnotic voice. Even though it was only 10 minutes, it was long enough to set off the ASMR alarms. Any longer, I’d have fallen into a trance and he'd get inside my head and retrieve my Netflix password and reveal my deepest darkest desire. 

And mind-hacking happens to be to the premise of Lee’s latest series — and Apple TV Plus’ maiden Korean production — Dr Brain. Based on a popular webtoon and directed by Kim Jee-Woon (A Bittersweet LifeI Saw the Devil), the six-part sci-fi thriller follows Koh Sweon (Lee), an emotionally insular neurologist who invented a technology (called ‘the sync’) that can access the memories of in the ultimate computer, the human brain. (Wait a sec, doesn’t this sound like the recent Hugh Jackman-starring Reminiscence?) When a tragedy befalls his family and he’s blamed for it, Sweon uses his creation to catch the real perpetrators. 

Speaking from Seoul via Zoom through an interpreter, Lee says has he high hopes for Dr Brain to do well, especially after the success of Parasite (or, for that matt, in post-Squid Game world). “I wanted it to live up to people’s expectations,” he adds, “But just the fact that this will be released to a global audience is a big joy and something I really look forward to.”

8 DAYS: I read that when Director Kim was looking for someone to play Sweon, who’s been described as “dry and emotionless”, the first actor he thought of is you. Do you think people see you that way, dry and emotionless?

LEE SUN-KYUN: Actually, I think Sewon is so unlike my actual self — he doesn’t resemble me in any way. I think in my previous drama series, My Mister, I played a very dry and gloomy person, so maybe Director Kim thought of me in that persona.  

Since you say he’s very different from you, how challenging was it to play a genius who’s emotionally stunted as Sewon?

It was very difficult in the beginning because it was very hard for me for not to portray him as emotionless. If he were 100 per cent emotionless, I think it would be very tough for him to drive the narrative. So I discussed a lot with Director Kim: We wanted to keep the tone and manner of the show in a way that Sewon has learnt to express his emotions to some extent through social contacts. We wanted Sweon to be this gloomy and serious guy who doesn’t have dopamine [the brain chemical that influences moods and feelings].

Are you a science fiction fan?

I’m not a big fan of the genre, but I am a big fan of Black Mirror.

In some ways, Dr Brain is like an episode of Black Mirror, it’s about the dark side of technology. In your research playing Sewon, did you learn anything new about the human brain? Dr Jeong Jaeseung, one of Korea’s pioneering neurologists, served as a consultant on the show.

Actually, I haven’t met the doctor in person; he met with the director to adapt the webtoon. He’s a very famous doctor who has appeared on TV. When I first heard about the concept of brain syncs, I thought it was so unrealistic and didn’t really make any sense. But when I heard that with the current technology, it’s possible to use brain zaps to transfer signals between brains in the future. I am curious if it can happen but I am also scared about it at the same time. 

When the technology is available, whose brain would you like to access?

I actually don’t want to look inside anyone’s memories! (laughs)

On the show, you have to wear this EEG cap. It doesn’t look very comfortable…

Actually, it was very uncomfortable. It was quite wobbly and we had to get the height and balance right because it the balance wasn’t right, I could look pretty silly with the cap. Also, I had to lie down with the cap, which made it even more uncomfortable. It wasn’t comfortable at all! 

dr-brain-brain-cap.jpg

Brainstorm: Lee Sun-Kyun prepares to undergo a brain-sync. 

You have such a distinctive voice that many people have made impressions of you. There was a recurring gag in an episode of Vincenzo, starring Song Joong-Ki, featuring a character played by comedian Yang Seung-Won, who did an amazing mimicry of your voice. Have you seen that?

A lot of people like to do impressions of me. I heard that someone in Vincenzo also did an impression of me. I think he’s famous actually for doing impressions. I didn’t see that episode but I’ve seen him doing my impressions and other people’s in other shows.

Dr Brain is now streaming on Apple TV+.

Source: https://www.8days.sg/seeanddo/streamit/lee-sun-kyun-parasite-dr-brain-interview-apple-tv-plus-15456070

Hancinema.net has posted more stills and bts photos of Kingmaker.

Here are some good ones:

largephoto1393984.jpg

largephoto1395449.jpg

largephoto1395448.jpg

Spoiler

largephoto1397510.jpg

largephoto1397508.jpg

largephoto1397506.jpg

largephoto1397505.jpg

largephoto1397504.jpg

largephoto1397503.jpg

Synopsis:

Directed by Byun Sung-Hyun

With Sol Kyung-guLee Sun-kyunYoo Jae-myungJo Woo-jinPark In-hwanBae Jong-ok,...

Synopsis
A politician dreams of changing the world with an excellent campaign strategist behind.
Dreaming of changing the world, Seo Chang-dae takes part in Kim Woon-beom's political campaign. To resist the current dictatorial ruling party, Seo adopts a very aggressive propaganda campaign, and it makes Kim become the strongest candidate in the opposition party. When ambitious Seo believes that unjustified means is necessary for politics, Kim has a firm belief that it is not real politics. While their conflict deepens, the ruling party secretly contacts Seo to win the next presidential election.

Release date in Korea : 2021/12

I haven't read too many details about the movie, but the last line in the synopsis above surprised me. I didn't realize the ruling party would be contacting Seo Chang-dae, too.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065597425639910
'Parasite' families' big match at the cinemas... 'King Maker'·'Emergency Declaration'·'The Policeman's Lineage'·'Special Cargo'

연합뉴스 / 2021-12-04 07:00:23

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Megabox Plus M, shows a scene from film "King Maker"'s trailer. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Show Box, shows film "Emergency Declaration." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Spoiler

▲ This photo, provided by Acemakers Movieworks, shows a scene from the film "The Policeman's Lineage." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)  
▲ This image, provided by NEW, shows the poster for upcoming film "Special Cargo." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Dec. 4 (Yonhap) -- “Parasite” stars, the first winners of four Academy Awards with a Korean movie, will clash at the cinemas during the end of this year and the start of 2022.  For most of them, it will be their first main roles in a film after the sensational “Parasite.” And as it is the “Parasite”’s families that are hitting the movies, the film industry is paying keen attention to the upcoming productions.

Lee Sun-kyun, the father of the rich Park family, will be the first-runner. He will lead an election film “King Maker.”  This production of director Byun Sung-hyun who produced “The Merciless” has not specified its release date.  Lee will play Seo Chang-dae motivated from an actual figure Um Chang-rok. He will lead the heated election field supporting politician Kim Un-bum (Seol Kyung-gu) who consistently attempts to change the world.  One of the film’s watching point is the chemi of actor Lee and Seol, the collision between Seo Chang-dae who tries to win the election regardless of any means and Kim Un-bum who prioritizes the greater good.

Actor Song Kang-ho who played an incompetent father Gitaek will meet the audiences through a disaster film “Emergency Declaration.”   The production is directed by director Han Jae-Rim who made “The Face Reader” and “The King.” The film’s cast includes star actors, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil and Yim Si-wan.  The movie is about a plane to Hawaii suddenly announcing an emergency landing. It has been invited to the Cannes International Film Festival as a non-competitive selection in July. Song played a veteran detective struggling on the ground to save his wife in the plane and to figure out what the whole incident was about. “It is not just about the disaster itself but rather its point is the reaction, the response and the overcoming of a disaster,” said the actor during an interview with Yonhap News at the Cannes.

Gitaek’s son and daughter will be smashing the cinemas too.

Actor Choi Woo-sik will play policeman Choi Min-jae strictly obeying principles and rules in an undercover film “The Policeman's Lineage.” Also actor Park Myung-hoon who hid underground in president Park’s house in “Parasite” will take a supporting role in the upcoming film as well.  The obedient but incompetent young man in his 20s from “Parasite” will present an intensive action moves in the new film.  “I heard that ‘Parasite’ was invited to the Academy while shooting ‘The Policeman's Lineage.’ I couldn’t believe it,” said Choi in a recent conference.

Action movie “Special Cargo” starring Park So-dam has confirmed its release date to January 5th.  Park will lead breath-taking action scenes as Eunha who delivers whatever for money. Produced by director Park Dae-Min, the film’s cast includes actors Kim Eui-sung and Song Sae-byeok. 

(END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• Like 1

Kingmaker finally has a release date!

Source: https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/312/0000516338

[Official] Seol Kyung-gu X Lee Seon-gyun 'Kingmaker' confirmed for release on December 29th

Enter 2021.12.07. 8:27 am
jjjiiwk0031.jpg?type=nf112_112

Correspondent Kim Ji-won

0000516338_001_20211207082702824.jpg?typ

The movie 'Kingmaker', starring Seol Kyung-gu and Lee Seon-gyun, has been confirmed for release on the 29th and joined the blockbuster theater Daejeon in December.

'Kingmaker' is a drama that begins when politician Kim Woon-beom (Seol Kyung-gu), a politician who challenges the world, and Seo Chang-dae (Lee Seon-gyun), an election strategist whose existence and name are hidden, jump into a fierce election. The hot message was released in a unique style.

In December, blockbuster films from overseas are about to be released in theaters. 'Spider-Man: No Way Home', which is attracting attention as a work that opens a new worldview with a multiverse, 'Kingsman: First Agent', the third work in the 'Kingsman' series, and 'The Matrix 3 - released in 2003 A series of overseas blockbuster series that have secured a solid fan base even to 'The Matrix: Resurrection', which is released after a long time as a sequel to 'Revolution', will be released one after another.

Among them, 'Kingmaker' is a Korean masterpiece with a unique style, and Seong-Hyun Byeon, who directed 'The Bullies: The World of the Bad Guys', was invited to the midnight screening of the 70th Cannes International Film Festival and received favorable reviews from domestic and foreign critics and audiences. This is the director's new film. In addition to the sensuous mise-en-scène shown in the previous work, the classic and sophisticated direction will create a retro yet different visual, demonstrating the side of a master of mise-en-scène. Not only that, although it is a story from the 1960s and 1970s, it is expected to deliver a message that modern people can sympathize with and a deep resonance through themes that penetrate the present.

Actor Seol Kyung-gu, who once again worked with director Byeon Seong-hyeon following 'The Bully,' and actor Lee Seon-gyun, who fascinated the world with the movie 'Parasite', as well as Yoo Jae-myung, Jo Woo-jin, Park In-hwan, Lee Hae-young, Kim Seong-oh, Jeon Bae-su, Seo Eun-su, Kim Jong-su, Yoon Kyung-ho, etc. You can expect hot synergy with the hot performances of the representative actors. As such, 'Kingmaker' will foretell the birth of an all-time well-made work with a variety of attractions, meticulous acting, and excellent perfection, and will provide high satisfaction to the audience.

By Kim Ji-won, staff reporter for Ten Asia bella@tenasia.co.kr

Here's Our Slightly Risque Relationship, the drama LSK won Best Actor in One-Act/Special Drama. It was recapped by girlfriday on Dramabeans, and boy, they certainly don't recap like she and javabeans used to do. I sorely miss them both. The recap is so worth a read.

Dramabeans recap: https://www.dramabeans.com/2010/07/drama-special-our-slightly-risque-relationship/

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:40 AM, sadiesmith said:

Here's Our Slightly Risque Relationship, the drama LSK won Best Actor in One-Act/Special Drama. It was recapped by girlfriday on Dramabeans, and boy, they certainly don't recap like she and javabeans used to do. I sorely miss them both. The recap is so worth a read.

This recap made me laugh so much. I know...I love javabeans and girlfriday's recaps on DB! They left to do a podcast, right? Or something...

Really is too bad some of us don't know Korean and can't pick up all the nuances like she did. I started the show and will see how the English auto-generated subtitles go. But at least now I know the basic plot and the insults that are thrown around. :lol: It's so great that these drama specials are being released on Youtube this year.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=179560208146549
(Movie Review) 'Kingmaker': fact-based, metaphorical depiction of S. Korea's '60-70s politics

By Kim Boram / 2021-12-14

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

▲ These images provided by Megabox Plus M show scenes from "Kingmaker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

▲ Posters of "Kingmaker" by Megabox Plus M (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Dec. 14 (Yonhap) -- The era of the 1960s and 1970s was one of the most turbulent ones in modern Korean history that shaped much of the landscape of the country's political scene.  During the period under the military dictatorship by strongman Park Chung-hee, two young political heavyweights -- Kim Dae-jung and Kim Young-sam -- appeared on the main stage and led Korean politics for the next three decades.  The upcoming political film "Kingmaker" captures the decisive moment of the rise of the two big-name politicians, with a focus on Kim Dae-jung and his hidden strategist Eom Chang-rok, whose names are all changed into fictional ones.

In the early 1960s, Kim Woon-beom (Seol Kyung-gu), an unnamed opposition party politician, dreams of becoming a lawmaker and the president of the country through just and clean means. But his reality doesn't match his ambition, as he has failed in four parliamentary elections in a row.  One day, a mysterious man named Seo Chang-dae (Lee Sun-kyun) visits Woon-beom's camp and says he can help him realize his dream.

Woon-beom, known as a man of principle and an idealist, is first unwilling to go with the live wire, who is determined to bend the rules to achieve the goal.  But the politician is convinced of Chang-dae's eloquence and passion to make his boss the president of the country. The energetic strategist says he does not mind remaining in the shadows without a title or rank in Woon-beom's election camp.

Led by Chang-dae's wily and smart tactics to win the hearts of voters and outclass the ruling party's plutocratic election campaign, Woon-beom pulls off a series of victories in the subsequent parliamentary elections and emerges as a threatening new figure in the opposition circle.  As his boss enjoys being in the spotlight and becomes the breakout presidential candidate of the main opposition party for the 1971 presidential election, Chang-dae complains of his hidden position and the nickname "shadow," called by his ruling party counterpart, and desires to distinguish himself.  The film reaches the climax as the duo clash over how and why they are striving to achieve their ultimate goal of winning the presidential election. 

Throughout the two-hour running time, director-writer Byun Sung-hyun cleverly and timely inserts some contemporary black-and-white television news clips on renowned political figures' public speeches, the opposition party's primary event and voting centers.  Along with well-made production designs, costumes and props in the past, the film effectively makes the viewers feel they are at the historical sites in person and hear the speeches of renowned politicians in the turbulent 1960-70s, which most people know through textbooks and documentaries.

And the outstanding performances by the two lead actors, Seol and Lee, to portray the real-life political figures adds plausibility to the fact-based political drama.  In particular, Lee created the new fictional and multifaceted character of Chang-dae, whose identity and life path after that period still remains nearly unknown.  He is a slick and insidious schemer who orchestrates a series of wicked tactics to change the game and win it, but he also betrays his loyalty and respect to his leader's cause and principle despite their differences in the way to reach it.

And the inherent mistrust and discord over the justified means between the two protagonists resonate with the South Korean people, who face a quinquennial presidential election in March.  "It's about two men who are trying to achieve the same goal in a series of elections in the 1960-70s," director Byun said in a press conference last month. "I want to ask whether any unjust methods can be justified to achieve a just goal. I think this question also matters nowadays."

"Kingmaker" will hit local screens Dec. 29.  (END)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Kingmaker held a preview yesterday, and if I am not mistaken, initial impressions were really encouraging.

Good news - it looks very well-done. I've never been so interested to watch a movie about Korean politics in my life. :lol:

Here's another article that just came out today: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211214000687

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

How long before we can watch it though?

I know...it comes out Dec 29 in Korea, and hopefully somebody can put English subtitles on it and put it out there for us. I was even wondering if an English-language studio might distribute it, capitalizing on LSK and Parasite's success.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211214000687
Political film ‘Kingmaker’ throws question mark on ethical dilemma

By Jie Ye-eun (yeeun@heraldcorp.com) | Dec 14, 2021

spacer.png
From left: Actor Seol Kyung-gu, director Byun Sung-hyun and actor Lee Sun-kyun pose for photos during a press conference for “Kingmaker” at Megabox Coex in southern Seoul, Monday. (Megabox Plus M)

While the South Korean presidential election is less than three months away, the fact-based political drama “Kingmaker” aims to raise a question about using unjust means to achieve a goal. 

Set in the 1960s-70s, “Kingmaker” revolves around an opposition party politician who dreams of becoming president and his excellent strategist. It was motivated by mysterious election strategist Eom Chang-rok, who worked for former President Kim Dae-jung, who became president in 1998 in the culmination of a decadeslong political career.

“I was curious about the man who was described with only a few lines in Kim‘s autobiography. Passed down orally with not much written data regarding the strategist, it was a great source to exercise my cinematic imagination,” Byun Sung-hyun, the director of the movie, said during a press conference held at Megabox Coex in southern Seoul, Monday. 

“Rather than shedding new light on political situations of the past, I wanted to ask the audience whether any unjust methods can be justified to achieve one’s goal if the person believes it is desirable. If so, where would be the permissible range? I think the ethical dilemma also matters nowadays.”

Byun, whose 2017 film “The Merciless” was invited for a midnight screening at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, Oscar-winning film “Parasite” star Lee Sun-kyun and recipient of the award for best actor at the 41st Korean Film Critics Association Awards Seol Kyung-gu teamed up for the upcoming film. The cast also includes Yoo Jae-myung, Jo Woo-jin and Kim Sung-oh. 

spacer.png
From left: Actor Seol Kyung-gu, director Byun Sung-hyun and actor Lee Sun-kyun talk about the upcoming film “Kingmaker” during a press conference at Megabox Coex in southern Seoul, Monday. (Megabox Plus M)

Seol, who has united with Byun after “The Merciless,” said his strong faith in the director led him to join the project. The veteran actor, however, found much difficulty in playing the role of politician Kim Woon-beom, he said. 

“Since the movie features a political story, it was burdensome. ... Although my character was motivated by an ex-president, I couldn’t imitate such a great figure. I didn‘t know how to adjust the tone and manner of Woon-beom. I wasn’t sure about looking for a middle point between the actual ex-president’s character and Woon-beom,” Seol said. 

Star of the Oscar-winning “Parasite,” Lee, who plays “kingmaker” Seo Chang-dae, said that he was over the moon when he received the offer from Byun because he was a big fan of both the director and Seol. He had to really tap his imagination for the mysterious role, according to the actor. 

“I think the movie is about how the relationship between Woon-beom and Chang-dae gets to change as time goes on,” Lee said. “There was not much information to refer to expressing Chang-dae’s character. I placed great emphasis on the character’s justification of why he can’t come to the center and remains like the shadow of Woon-beom.” 

“Kingmaker” finished filming in 2019 but has since been shelved due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The political movie will hit local theaters on Dec. 29.

• Like 1

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211215002900315
'Parasite' stars set to return to silver screen next month

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | December 15, 2021

SEOUL, Dec. 15 (Yonhap) -- Heroes of Bong Joon-ho's Oscar-winning black comedy "Parasite" will return to the South Korean silver screen next month with their respective new projects after two pandemic-disrupted years.

Lee Sung-kyun, who played the deadpan father of the wealthy family in "Parasite," will be the first member of the ensemble cast to hit the local theaters with the political film "Kingmaker" slated for Dec. 29.  He took the role of Seo Chang-dae, a secret election schemer, who helps a newbie politician become the presidential candidate of the main opposition in the midst of the military regime.  The movie is motivated by a famous but mysterious election strategist in the 1960-70s, Eom Chang-rok, who worked for Kim Dae-jung, who became the country's president in 1998 after a decadeslong political career.  It is Lee's first big screen project to be released since Bong's 2019 masterpiece due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

spacer.png
This image provided by Megabox Plus M shows a scene from "Kingmaker." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The star-studded disaster film "Emergency Declaration," which was invited to the out of competition section of this year's Cannes Film Festival, stars Song Kang-ho, who received worldwide critical acclaim for his performance in "Parasite."  In the new film, Song plays a veteran detective who tries to uncover a terrorist plot on an airplane and rescue his wife.  But the theatrical release of "Emergency Declaration," which had been originally set in January, was put on hold indefinitely due to the recent surge in COVID-19 infections across the country.

spacer.png
This image provided by Showbox shows a scene from "Emergency Declaration." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Choi Woo-shik and Park So-dam, who played the impressive wily siblings of the poor family in the 2019 title, will also return to the big screen after about two years.  In the upcoming crime action film "The Policeman's Lineage," expected to be released in January, Choi will play a rookie police officer who works undercover as part of the secret anti-corruption campaign in the police.  Park will return with the action crime film "Special Delivery," set to premier on Jan. 12, as a delivery driver who is given an unusual delivery order and embroiled in an unexpected incident.  The actress recently admitted that she was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer during a routine medical checkup. She underwent surgery and is now focusing on recovery, according to her management agent. 
(END)

• Like 1

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065581012227586
'Kingmaker' postpones release due to spread of COVID-19

연합뉴스 / 2021-12-17 11:43:57

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Megabox Plus M, shows the poster of the movie "Kingmaker" (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (YONHAP)

SEOUL, Dec. 17 (Yonhap) -- "Kingmaker," one of the most anticipated films this year-end, will postpone its release to next year.  The film will put off the release following new films such as "Emergency Declaration" due to the strengthened pandemic measures against the Omicron variant.

"We decided to postpone the release of 'Kingmaker,' a film set to hit screens on Dec. 29, to the New Year’s holidays next January,” said studio Megabox Plus M.  "We prepared the release for Dec. 29, expecting the movie theaters to return to normal amid eased virus controls. Yet, we considered the strengthened pandemic protections and decided to change the release date," explained the studio.

The upcoming election movie "Kingmaker" had just finished its press screening on Dec. 13, and arranged interviews for the leading actors Seol Kyung-gu and Lee Sun-kyun.  However, with the government indicating new social distancing measures, they canceled their interviews and were uncertain about their release date. 

Local movie theaters that opened 24 hours before the pandemic must now operate until 10 p.m. from Dec. 18, due to social distancing measures.  New movies scheduled for release on the year-end and new year, are postponing their release one after another.  The film “Emergency Declaration,” including the star-studded cast Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Yim Si-wan, and Kim Nam-gil, announced to postpone its release, on Dec. 15. (END)

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=179548809176525
Toughened virus controls likely to deal blow to movie theaters in Christmas season

• Sad 2

So bummed they had to postpone the release of Kingmaker. :( Glad the cast got a chance to do a fun interview before they all go back into hiding.

The plastic dividers were a little silly though.

Spoiler

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 images in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 1